Brief Lapse of Judgment

Story Info
A drunken mistake puts marriage at risk.
5.2k words
3.94
104.6k
77
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
hotprof1973
hotprof1973
1,241 Followers

A quick one with no real sex. No one dies either, if anyone is worried about that. Self-edited like all my stories, so I'm sure there is the occasional typo. Tried for a couple months unsuccessfully to get an editor for these, so decided to just make do -- besides I'm the first to admit relying on editors for all my other writing has weakened my self-editing skills so I need the practice. As with all my stories, hope you enjoy the ride, even if you don't like the destination. Not meant to be a moral statement, I just write what I think is an interesting story. I do appreciate the comments both good and bad.

Since his recent divorce, it was almost becoming routine that Jody's best friend, Rich, would come over at least every second Friday for supper and then stay for drinks after. The first few times were awkward, as Summer, Jody's wife of almost ten years, was quite good friends with Rich's ex until she took the kids and left him. While both insisted there was no cheating during the marriage, Heather was now living in Chicago with another man only four months after separating. Having two sons, aged nine and six, Jody could only imagine what that would be like on them or Rich having to wait months between seeing his kids.

It was a particularly hot summer day, so Jody suggested having their beer outside in the hot tub after the boys went to sleep. Rich was about the same size, so he lent him a swimsuit. Jody was surprised that Summer decided to join them. She came out in a tiny bikini, which accented her thirty-year-old body that she worked so hard to maintain. Her legs and tummy was really tone, and her C cup breasts hardly had any sag yet. Summer was holding a case of vodka coolers and did a little twirl, which got a whistle from Rich, before settling down in the hot tub between the two men, beside Jody.

Jody didn't really appreciate the look or whistle Rich gave, but decided to overlook it. It was his friend, and yes Summer did look fantastic in that suit with ties on the bottom. After a few beers, he forgot all about his brief moment of jealously and the three had a good time enjoying their drinks in the hot tub. Summer started teasing Rich about all the sex he must be having now he's single again. Rich made some comment about now that he had his balls back, they were getting plenty of use. Jody knew Summer, while wild in the bedroom, was fairly conservative out of it. She wouldn't be talking that way if she wasn't drunk. Jody was thinking it probably was time for both of them to get to bed because the boys had soccer in the morning.

"It's getting late..." Jody said.

"Okay, I'll finish this drink and head in," Summer said. There were only a couple swallows left in her cooler.

"And I'll finish this beer..." Rich cracked a new one. "And I'll be leaving."

"And I got to take piss, night Rich..." Jody got up, dried off and headed in.

After he was done in the bathroom, he headed to the living room expecting to see the other two inside already. When they weren't, he headed outside.

Rich and Summer were sitting a lot closer to each other. Neither had a drink in their hand; Rich had a bit of a smirk, while Summer looked uneasy -- almost guilty.

"Guess it's time to go," Rich said turning away from Jody to climb up and wrap a towel around his wait.

"Yes... I'll just want to relax a few more minutes then I'll be in," Summer said not looking Jody in the eye.

"Rich can see himself out," Jody said, "I'll relax with you."

"No," Summer answered quickly, "You don't need to. Go get ready for bed. I'll be right there. It would be rude to not see Rich out anyways."

Jody headed in, and Rich was almost already out the front door. "Bye, buddy. We'll talk later," he said as he headed out and left.

Jody took a few breaths and tried to relax as he waited for Summer. He could have a bit of an imagination -- comes with being a graphic designer -- so what he was thinking could be not at all what happened.

It was almost ten minutes later that Summer came slowly into the house with her towel wrapped tightly around her waist, and almost jumped when Jody was waiting for her outside the bathroom.

"Shit, Joe, you scared me," Summer said in a nervous voice. After ten years together, Jody knew when his wife was hiding something or guilty.

"You don't looked relaxed..." Jody said coldly.

"You just startled me. Go to bed, I'll be right there," Summer said, "Maybe I'll come to bed naked..."

Jody tugged at the towel. Summer slapped his hand.

"Not now, silly. After I pee and freshen up first."

"Why do you need to? What happened?"

She looked really nervous. "Nothing happened. What's with you tonight?"

"Bullshit," Jody said with a quick sharp tug, revealing that Summer wasn't wearing her bottoms under her towel.

Jody didn't say anything; he just turned and walked towards the bedroom.

"Nothing really happened, I promise," said Summer now crying.

Jody ignored her and grabbed a suitcase and quickly filled it with about a weeks worth of clothes.

"Please Joe, I'll tell you the truth. Don't do this," pleaded Summer as he walked by her and out the door.

**

Two weeks later, Jody was working in his office when the administrative assistant for his unit called him. "Mr. Selk, it's your wife."

"Mandy, tell her I do not want to talk and hang up," Jody said irritated.

"No, she's here and refusing to leave until she can see you. Shall I call security?"

In the background, he could hear Summer's shrill angry voice, "Do it. If that's what he wants."

Jody sighed. "No, let her come in. Can you make sure we're not disturbed? Actually, I'm taking the rest of the day off. Tell her I'll meet her in the Coffee Shop downstairs. Say I promise, okay?"

He could hear muffled discussion between two angry women, and then, "Okay, Mrs. Selk will meet you there and I've marked you away for the day."

"Thanks Mandy, sorry to involve you in this."

Summer looked terrible. At least her face, which had bags under her red eyes, and pale from no make-up -- which wasn't Summer at all. Below the neck, she looked as stunning as always in a tank top and cut-off shorts.

"How could you," hissed Summer in a low voice, "Take off without saying anything, not calling, no text of all of where you were. Do you know how upset the boys are? They missed three days of school, and I really don't know what to tell them."

"Tell them that their mom got drunk and acted like a slut?" Jody said with a shrugged.

"That's not fucking fair and you know it," Summer said as her eyes watered, "If you wouldn't have took off in a huff, I would have told you everything."

"Considering you were lying through your teeth already," Jody said coldly, "Why would I believe a word you said? I caught you with your pants down, literally. Even if nothing happened, how do I know that was only because I interrupted? And I know I interrupted. Guessing your bikini bottoms were removed and tossed? The time you spent 'relaxing' was you trying to find them so I wouldn't suspect a thing? So pardon me if I don't believe everything was all innocent. At the least, my best friend finger-fucked my wife. Am I wrong?"

Summer looked down. "It just happened. I was drunk, and he started splashing. I splashed back. Then he was tickling me, just on my side. Next thing I knew, we were kissing and his fingers were in me. I didn't touch him and shoved him away when I came to my senses. I told him no way it was happening. He replied with not yet. That was right when you walked in." She wiped her eyes. "Yes, it should never have gone as far as it did. I should've said something right away, but I was ashamed and he's been your friend longer than you've known me. I thought if I brought it up there, either I'd end your friendship or worse you'd take his side. Either way you'd end up resenting me."

Jody snorted.

"That's the goddamn truth. Ask him if you want. Now, will you please come home? The boys need a father. They're so upset right now, I'm worried they might need counseling."

"Trying to guilt me about the boys isn't going to fix anything," Jody said angrily.

"I'm not trying to guilt you," Summer said angrily, "You have a responsibility as a father and should care about them. Overreacting when nothing really happened isn't helping them at all."

Jody was silent for a moment and then said, "I guess I should mention something. Last weekend, I went out for drinks and you remember Lois? Well, I got pretty hammered and... we were in her car kissing. I stopped it once she had my dick out and was stroking me off."

"You bastard," Summer spat out and stormed away before Jody could say another word.

After she left, he said for a moment thinking and then with a sigh turned on his phone which had fifty unopened texts -- mostly from Summer but a few from Rich.

He texted his wife, "Look, I was lying. Nothing happened I stayed at Mark's who put me up in his spare room now his youngest is away at college."

There was no response for ten minutes, so Jody decided he might as well return to work.

He was there for about half an hour when he received her response, "Why would you make something like that up? Do you know how much that hurt me?"

Jody snorted and replied, "YES I KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH."

Summer responded with, "I didn't deserve that. I can't believe how cruel you're being."

Jody was breathing heavily in frustration as he typed, "Well you are being a hypocrite for still claiming nothing happened."

"Nothing really did happen between Rich and me. I consider some slut with her hand around your cock as something."

'Stupid stubborn bitch,' Jody hissed under his breath as he typed, "Well I consider my friend's fingers up your vagina as something. Difference is that really did happen. Please don't bother trying to contact me again until you either get your head out of your ass or get a lawyer."

When Friday night came, Jody decided to really go out for drinks and took a cab because he was planning to be in no shape to go home. After three beers, he was surprised to see Rich wave with a smile and walk up to him.

"Hey, buddy we need to talk," Rich said still smiling.

"Because of over twenty years of friendship, I'll give you twenty seconds to get the fuck away from me before I kick the shit out of you," Jody said glaring.

"As I texted you, I am so sorry what happened, but it's for the best."

Jody laughed coldly, "Okay, I'll bite. How could my best friend almost fucking my wife when I'm in the other room be for the best?"

"Because now you know the truth," Rich said with a shrug, "Summer, Heather, women like that are all the same. Think just because they're so attractive, they deserve to trade up whenever it suits him. To spare the kids, we lied, Heather was fucking that guy for months. And Summer, she's been flirting with me for forever. Maybe it was the booze, or not, that she decided to make a move that night. She removed her bottoms, threw them overhead and gestured me to come closer. Yah, I should have left, but shit, she's super hot and I am a guy... You don't need someone like that in your life. At least you're finding out now."

"Oh, you were doing me a favor fingering my wife?" Jody said coldly.

"No, but I will do you one tomorrow night," Rich said, "Summer's invited me over and we're going to have sex." Rich saw Jody's arm go back to strike and held out his hand defensively. "Whoa, whoa, just listen to me, okay? You now know what type of woman she is. You can't tell me you're considering taking her back? When we do it tomorrow, I'll get proof: pictures or something. I'll even agree to testify at your divorce trial if needed. I'll help you get the proof of infidelity that I never had in my divorce so you aren't the one getting fucked over like I did. I'm telling you, I bet I'm not the only one who's getting some from her, but I am the only one who'd hand over the proof."

"Time's up, leave," Jody said looking away.

Rich sighed. "Okay, be this way. Joe, you know I love you like a brother. You're going to thank me one day. Bitches like Heather and Summer aren't worth the effort. You're happier being alone to play the field."

Jody couldn't get over what Rich said to him when he finally arrived back at Mark's. It was great that Mark and his wife, Rochelle, went away for a week holiday because he needed the alone time. It was nice getting Rochelle's perspective on things, while she was encouraging him to talk to Summer and the boys, she did agree that he was justified in being angry. The only person who seemed to think what Summer did was no big deal was Summer. Now, Rich was planning to seduce her -- or was he expecting her to seduce him?

The two people he used to trust more than anything told him two different versions of what happened. Who was he to believe? Rich's story when closer to what he imagined happened, and he admits it was cheating. But, Jody was really starting to miss his children and needed to coexist with Summer no matter what happened. He did have a hard time believing Rich was being selfless offering to fuck Summer. He's always been attracted to her -- just like Jody found Heather attractive but wouldn't dream of doing anything with her again even if she crawled into his bed naked. Jody couldn't do that to either Summer nor Rich. He decided to just to go to sleep and think on things.

Rich woke up around nine and phoned Summer from Mark's landline.

"Hello?" said Summer in a tired voice.

"Hi, it's me," Jody said calmly.

"Oh, it is," Summer replied in an irritated voice. Obviously, she was still mad at him -- though it was her fault.

"Yeah, well," Jody said sharply, frustrated at her tone, "I just want to say go ahead and fuck Rich tonight and then we're through. I'm seeing a lawyer."

"That's what you want?" Summer said still with the same tone.

"Yes."

"So, you're refusing to come talk things out like adults tonight and want a divorce." Summer sounded like she was starting to cry. "Well, I might as well fuck him if he comes over. I'm already being punished like I did."

"What do you mean refusing to talk things out tonight?" Jody asked.

"You know damn well what I mean. Rich called me last night and passed on your message. Bye." Summer hung up.

"Wait..." Jody said too late. He phoned her back but she didn't pick up. Swearing, he phoned again and again until.

"Just file for divorce. I'm sick of these games," Summer said in between sobs.

"Summer, please, wait. Tell me what message? I never told Rich to tell you anything."

"Really? You didn't tell him both of us could go to hell when he told you that I wanted the three of us to sit down and discuss this?" Summer said sarcastically.

"In fact not," Jody said angrily, "I didn't because I wasn't asked. What I was told was I better file for divorce because you had your sights on my best friend and invited him over for sex tonight."

"And you believed him?"

"You believed him I turned down meeting tonight... What the fuck is going on between you two? The truth or I will be filing."

"I told you the truth. I was drunk and things got out of hand one time, but I stopped it," Summer sobbed, "And you were right, it was a terrible thing to do and I am so sorry, but I never would have sex with Rich. Never. I was trying to convince myself it was no big deal, but, you were right and I am so sorry. Please come home Jody, I love you and want to get past this. I need you and the boys need you. Please..."

Jody sighed. "We'll find a way, but I still need time to think, okay?"

"Yes, please don't take too long."

Jody paced for about ten minutes, trying to clear his head, but there was too much anger.

Finally, he picked up his cellphone and dialed. When it went to voicemail he said, "Rich, it's only because of our years of friendship that I'm not driving over there to kick your ass. I talked to Summer and know what you tried to pull. I don't care if you have this chip because of your failed marriage. That gives you no fucking right to try and ruin mine. You stay the hell away from my wife. You so as much as approach her and smile in public, I'll beat you so badly that I'll expect jail time."

He dropped his phone on the couch and plopped down, expecting to feel better after that, but instead felt worse. Summer certainly wasn't blameless, but Rich was the pursuer and he should've realized that from the get go.

His cell rang, and he saw it was Rich calling.

"Hi," Jody answered coldly.

"You stupid son of a bitch. Don't you know the grief I'm saving you?" Rich said, "If it's not me it will be someone else. You have to open your fucking eyes and see that."

"Don't give me that bullshit. She was drunk and you took advantage of the situation. This is about you trying to fuck my wife and nothing to do with me so save the pious act."

"She's a cheater and you know it. You just don't have the balls to do anything. Besides, you owe me a chance to even out things." Rich emphasized the last three words.

Jody was silent for a second. "What do you mean?"

"You know damn well what I mean. Heather told me all about it as another one of her great parting gifts for ending our relationship. I know you fucked her when she was four months pregnant with our eldest. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you. A hot woman like that, any guy would if he had the chance. It's her fault, just like what happened in the hot tub was Summer's."

"I'm sorry, that was a long time ago, but that has nothing to do..."

"Bullshit. You fucked my wife, now I'm going to fuck yours and she's going to want it. Then you'll get it through your skull what those type of women or like." Rich paused and chuckled. "Put it this way. I'm telling Summer what happened unless you let me prove to you what a cheating slut she really is. We'll see how far she spreads for me after hearing that..."

"Go ahead, tell her," Jody said angrily, "What I said in my message stands. As far as I'm concerned, we're no longer friends."

"Yeah, well you fucked my wife first asshole, so fuck you. When you catch her cheating, you'll be back to apologize." Rich hung up.

Jody couldn't believe after all these years that one lapse of judgment could come back to bite him. He almost forgot about it -- definitely tried to. He knew Rich wouldn't be bluffing and called Summer right away.

"Joe?"

"Summer, look I'll come home, but we really need to talk. Somewhere private and no kids, please."

"Okay." Her voice was calm so Jody figured he hadn't told her yet. "I can see if I can take the boys to Karen's for a play date. We were planning them to go there anyway to have our talk tonight. I'll text you when you can come home. Jody, I love you."

"Love you too." Jody said, and sighed wondering how welcome he will be after Rich tells her. That's definitely how he was planning to convince her to fuck him.

It was about two hours later when Jody arrived at home. He had his suitcase in his car, but left it there just in case things didn't go well.

He knocked, which felt stupid after he did it, but Summer called, "Come on in."

She looked like she was crying before with red puffy eyes, but looked calm. In her t-shirt and cut-off shorts, Summer looked so sexy with her toned legs. She really was his best friend, and the nicest person he knew. How did he consider throwing their relationship away -- though his actions before they were married might already have done that?

"Hi Joe, you like you've hardly been eating," Summer said calmly sitting in the chair in the dining room.

Jody sat across from her. "You look as amazing as always."

"You're lying, but I'll accept those kind of lies," Summer said and smiled briefly.

"Rich told you," Jody said flatly.

hotprof1973
hotprof1973
1,241 Followers
12