Bright Arrow Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why the fuck are you just sitting there smiling?!!!" Brian screamed at Kevin and held himself from physically assaulting him.

"David," Kevin calmly called the scientist who had listed the compound's worthlessness over. "How effective is the compound at treating HLF?"

"Not effective at all, doctor since it kills the patient."

"No, I mean, just the disease."

"Excellent. It completely obliterates it." David answered.

"Computer, lower variables to one quarter above normal."

"Variables are set to one quarter above normal." The computer answered.

"Display results."

The results showed on the screen and both Kevin and David looked them over both smiling.

"You set the variables to highest?" David asked.

"I needed all the information, not just what we hoped might happen." Kevin answered.

"What? What's going on?" Brian asked.

"The drug apparently ceases all HLF viral DNA and RNA synthesis within a human cell and causes some minor, yet manageable side effects. The patients won't die."

"What was all that bullshit before with the hepatic encephalopathy and the renal failure?" Brian asked confused.

"Worst case scenario. Truly, worst case scenario. That's so unlikely to happen that it's basically guaranteed not to." Kevin stood and threw on his lab coat. "I want as much as this facility can produce of compound seven one four. We'll use the Human Host sim's suggestion for beginning dosages. Get this info to the pharmaceuticals and tell them to stop producing serum 418 and hydroxy. Just go with this for now. I want it here, Denver, New York, L.A., Houston, Miami, anywhere they've called to report an outbreak. And Dale,"

"Yes, doctor?"

"I want this today. Light fires under whoever and tell them to call me if they have a problem."

"Yes, sir."

Kevin took a vial from the lab and ran down to the hospital. He dressed in his isolation suit as quickly as possible and ran into Pike's room. Pike looked drastically different now, and Kevin shuddered every time he saw him. He was pale and seemed to be wasting away in front of him despite the therapies that slowed down the disease. Kevin inserted the vial into the I.V. and injected twice the recommended dosage. His job, he prayed was over. He took up his seat next to Pike's bed and fell asleep for the first time since Pike's heart stopped.

A nurse woke him up later, again ordering that he leave and change his battery. Kevin's eyes flew to Pike's but they were closed and he didn't look much improved. The nurse said that he was still stable and hadn't shown much change from the last blood sample she took. She'd advise him of any change after he switched out his battery. Kevin did as ordered and returned to his chair next to Pike's seat. That's where his team found him a few hours later.

"The beginning stage patients are already showing improvement. They're levels are dropping more rapidly than those more progressed. Even some mid stage patients have begun responding."

"What of the end stage patients?" Kevin asked.

"No sign of improvement yet. It's quite possible that with a high viral load, the change is at first undetectable."

"Yes, I assume it is possible." Kevin agreed, though his stomach felt cold. This is the cure. The only answer he had. He had nothing else to give.

"The drug companies are shipping out the first batches now. New York should already have theirs."

"Thank you." Kevin dismissed them and sat quietly with Pike.

Two days later, Kevin still sat at Pike's side. The viral load had lessened dramatically but he still hadn't woken up. Kevin had ordered a Scanning EEG which showed only the barest amount of electrical activity in his brain. Pike had gone into a coma due to the trauma and stress on his body and it was anybody's guess when or if he would recover from it. Kevin heard the alarm on his battery and left again to change it and to grab some coffee and food before returning. Upon his arrival back he saw Pike's eyes open. He was talking to the nurses.

"Oh my God, Pike!" Kevin ran into the room. "You're awake."

"Hey baby." Pike smiled. The nurses left them alone. "I guess you did it, huh?"

"Did what?"

"Saved the world."

"No. I saved you. Everyone else just got lucky." Kevin smiled and sat down next to Pike.

"No, I got lucky when I picked you up on the side of the road."

"I got lucky too." Kevin leaned down and pressed his gloved hand against Pike's cheek. "I love you, Pike."

"I love you too, baby. Now get me out of here. I want to go home."

It was another three days before they were able to release the last of the infected from the quarantine hospitals which were deconstructed having served their purpose. It was another two days before Kevin was able to bring Pike home. The dogs met the car barking and jumping, thrilled to see their masters again.

"You saved the world and took care of my dogs? Where did you find the time?" Kevin laughed.

"I called your neighbor and asked if she could take care of them. I didn't have any time to spare." Kevin helped Pike into the house and had him sit down on the couch. "Hungry?"

"Not really, though a beer would be great." Pike grinned. Kevin went over the list of meds he was taking mentally and concluded that one wouldn't hurt. He cracked two open for them and sat down next to his love.

"So does this mean you're on to another disease?" Pike asked.

"No. I'm actually thinking of resigning from the NCMS. At least as a researcher."

"Really? What will you do?"

"I think I'd like to just be a doctor. Just a regular one. Maybe open an office here in town. See patients, birth babies, wipe noses. That kind of shit."

"Won't it be a little boring for you? After all, you saved the world?"

"Stop saying that. I didn't save the world."

"They're giving you the Nobel prize! I'm so proud of you. My boyfriend saved the world! No, bullshit!" Pike put his arm around Kevin and pulled him tight.

"They're not giving me the Nobel prize, they're just nominating me for it."

"That's big shit no matter how you shake it."

"What does that even mean?" Kevin asked and Pike laughed.

"I don't know. Maybe it's a side effect."

"Shut up. Ass." Kevin laid back against Pike's chest, once against strong with life.

"So, you moving in with me or what?" Pike asked.

"You really want me to?" Kevin asked.

"Yeah. I really do."

"Ok."

Epilogue

Kevin walked out of his office onto Main St. Bright Arrow and shaded his eyes from the bright sun. He looked up and down the street and stopped looking when he was a large man walking toward him. It was his swagger that gave him away, Kevin thought. God, he was still so sexy. Pike reached Kevin and pulled him in for a kiss.

"Hey stud."

"Hey baby. How was work today?"

"Fine. Wall to wall patients. The flu's going around." Kevin said and fell into step along side his husband of two years.

"You'd think someone would find a cure for that." Pike said.

"Yeah well, it's not going to be me. Besides, HLF is a cake walk next to the flu. What time are we meeting Annie?"

"She's going to be at the house around five. I guess being pregnant finally made her slow down."

"I doubt it." Kevin disagreed. "Annie's a fireball. She'll be director in a few years despite what Brian has to say about it."

"There are your parents." Pike pointed and Kevin looked over at the elderly couple, each holding a little boys hands as they walked along. "Oh that reminds me, my parents will be here around eight."

"We'll have a full house." Kevin said, happily.

"Paulie's getting big." Pike said as he watched his son walk with his in-laws.

"He's only one."

"He'll need a brother or sister soon." Pike smiled and winked. "You ready for it?"

"And ruin this figure?" Kevin laughed.

"You think someone will ever figure out a way for a guy to have a baby?" Pike asked.

"It's not going to be me." Kevin said. Pike was laughing when he kissed his husband's lips. They caught up to Kevin's parents and their son and headed home.

12