Bright Arrow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It can be. I actually took yesterday and today and will probably take till Monday as mental health days. I need to detach myself and get back to work with a clear head."

"I might be able to help with that." Pike said and a more comfortable silence settled for a moment. "You realize I wasn't offering sex, right?"

Kevin laughed at Pike's need to clarify that point and once he started he couldn't stop. Pike joined in and they laughed until most of the diners around them had wondered what was so funny.

"I can't seem to stop embarrassing myself with you." Pike said, when they had stopped.

"It's cute and thank you. I haven't laughed like that in a long time." Kevin smiled. "And for the record, Pike, I like you too. A lot."

The two ate their meal, enjoying the food almost as much as each other and the conversation. They spoke of their childhood and coming out stories and exes. Everything but what Kevin did for NCMS. That subject remained taboo and Pike respected the boundary without fail.

"Five brothers and a sister?" Kevin asked amazed.

"Well my sister's married, so I do have a brother-in-law and three of my brothers are married, so I have three sister-in-laws. Yeah, it makes for an interesting time, especially at the holidays."

"You see them often?"

"Well, they're spread out a bit. My mom and dad live in Napa still with my younger brother. Another brother and my sister live in California but down south. One brother lives in Memphis and the last lives in New York. Like I said, we're all over, but yeah I get to see them. My parents kind of insist that everyone tries to get together at least once a year. Usually in the middle of summer we all try to get out there and a few of us go back for Christmas."

"My God." Kevin said.

"What about your family?"

"I'm an only child and my parents live in Boca Raton. I try to get to see them every once in a while but lately I haven't gotten to. Work and stuff."

"An only child?" Pike asked and Kevin nodded. "Lucky!"

"No. I don't think so. I had a friend when I was growing up who had a brother and a sister and I was so jealous of him. Even when they fought, I'd think how cool would that be? You know? And when my parents die, I'm sort of going to be alone. I have a cousin who lives somewhere down south but I've never met her."

"Where down south?" Pike asked.

"Alamosa or something?"

"Alamosa, Colorado?"

"Yeah."

"That's only like three hours away."

"Is it?"

"Yeah. You should call her up. Ask her if she wants to meet. I'll even drive you. It's better than you jogging there." Pike offered.

"I don't know. We've never met. Her mom was my dad's sister and they didn't really talk. Then she died a while ago and it would be weird."

"Yeah, it might. But she might also be cool and since you're only a couple of hours away you have no excuse."

"I guess not."

"Listen, why don't you try to get in touch with her. Maybe we could go for a road trip this weekend. I don't have to go, I'm just offering in case you want company or moral support." Pike smiled.

"Maybe I will. God, I wouldn't even know how to get in touch with her."

"She's got to be on Uberworld. Everyone's on Uberworld." Pike said, talking about a popular social networking site.

"That thing's still up and running? I don't even know if my site is valid anymore."

"Well, your mental health seems to just need a little tweeking so nothing major there and what else are you going to do on your mental health days? Consider this tweeking."

"Why not?"

Pike pulled into Kevin's driveway at almost six o'clock. He shut off the engine and turned to Kevin.

"Nice house."

"Thanks. It's not really mine. They just provide some of us with housing as a benefit. It's `mine' as long as I'm `theirs'."

"Got it." Pike said and Kevin was hesitant to get out of the truck.

"Feel like coming in? I mean you bought me lunch the least I could do is make you dinner." Pike smiled and Kevin grinned back. He loved the man's smile. "You do realize that I'm not offering sex."

Pike started laughing and blushed so much his ears turned red.

"I'd love to stay for dinner with you."

They cooked some steaks on the grill and drank beer as the meat sizzled. Pike continued to tell him of his company and some of the houses he had built in the area. Kevin spoke of medical school and some other projects he had worked on while still refusing to bring up HLF. After dinner the two sat in the living room playing the newest 3D game on Kevin's Halcyon system. Pike woke at two in the morning having snored himself awake to find Kevin resting on his chest. Pike stared at the doctor's face and saw none of the worries which had plagued him most of the day. It was a beautiful face especially without the pain and torture he had seen in it earlier.

"Kevin?" Pike whispered but received no reply. "Kevin." He said a little louder.

"Wha-?"

"I have to go. It's late and I have to take care of my dogs. They've been in the house all day and have probably shredded my house to hell."

"Huh?" Kevin said opening his eyes.

"My dogs, I have to go take care of them."

"Oh. All right. We fell asleep?"

"Yeah. It's two in the morning."

"Oh God, I'm sorry Pike. I'm not a very good host apparently."

"You are a great host, I had a wonderful time. I just have to get home." Pike said and stood up feeling his leg complain from being in one position too long. Kevin groggily walked to the door with him trying desperately to wake up.

"Well, next time I won't fall asleep on you." Kevin said with an apologetic smirk.

"You can fall asleep on me anytime." Pike said. "Well, not anytime." And pulled Kevin to him as their mouths met for a quick kiss which held future promises.

"Good night, Pike."

"Good night, Kevin." Pike get into his car and drove off. Kevin undressed and slid into his bed feeling the caress of his sheets against his naked body. He closed his eyes and for once in a long while slept soundly.

12