Brighton Manor Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mouse introduced the landscape contractors to Stella but she couldn't concentrate on that. She could only think of Mouse in that outfit and watching him in bed the night before.

The three gentlemen shook her hand and Mouse pointed them to the office where the details will be discussed and drawn out. Before he followed the men, he said softly to her, "Don't be too impressed, I got this to wear to your aunt's funeral."

Dammit! Why am I such an idiot?! Why can't I take my mind off this guy for one second?! Or at least not broadcast it all over my face!

"Are you coming?" he said over his shoulder pulling her from her thoughts one again.

"Geez, I'm coming," she said to herself and joined him in the office.

There was a small rectangular table in the middle of the room where the three men sat waiting. Mouse pulled a chair out for Stella but she knew it was all for show.

"Miss Brighton, Jon was gracious enough to show us around your land while you were at lunch."

"Jon?" she asked.

The man seemed confused at her question.

"Of course," she said. "Jon. Yes, Jon is quite gracious. Thank you, Jon." Stella kept emphasizing his name and she could tell he wasn't happy about her knowing it.

"You know any time you need me my door's always open," he said sarcastically and glared at her with a manufactured grin.

She began to blush from his double entendre that clearly referred to her habit of spying on him.

The three men looked at each other seeing if the others had the same confusion. The head contractor began to lay out his brochures with all the information about the available flora.

"Now, Mr. Crowley has already provided us with a makeshift blueprint of the grounds."

"Mr. Crowley did?" she asked.

"Yes," said the contractor subtly motioning his hand toward Mouse. "If you would like a few days to look through my brochures and come up with a master plan yourselves, I wouldn't mind leaving them with you. Or, my team can design it all for you, it's really up to you."

"Jon Crowley, do you think we are up to it?" Stella beamed smartly.

"Always up for a challenge," he said smirking and winked so that no one saw but her. "It's always better when it's two people working together for a common goal. Then you can share a great sense of satisfaction and pleasure. Don't you agree, Stella Brighton?"

"On the contrary, Jon Crowley, I believe working by yourself can be equally as rewarding," she said with a raised brow.

"Perhaps, but then you might have to rely on tools that might not otherwise be necessary," he replied smiling triumphantly.

Stella became flush and looked away.How did he always find a way to trump me?"

"Ahem," the contractor cleared his throat. "Well, we'll leave you two to work this out. We'll be expecting your call when you're done or if you have any questions." The man was trying very hard to be polite.

"Thank you, gentlemen. We appreciate you coming out and leaving all this material here for us to peruse."

The four men stood and shook hands. "Let me show you to the door," Mouse offered.

"Allow me," Stella interjected and led them out of the room to the front door. She helped open the door and thanked them.

"Ma'am, good luck with your...partnership. I hope everything works out," one of the men said.

"Thank you," she said but was really thinking, "he better be talking about the landscaping."

The three men took their leave.

"Bloody hell," one said. "The sexual tension in that room was so dense I could have choked on it."

"Aye, it was pretty awkward."

Stella approached Mouse in the office. "We need to discuss one other thing, Mr Crowley, before you disappear again. I'm ordering uniforms today. You'll have khaki work pants and shorts. And button up work shirts. Short sleeved for the warm months."

"If it's all the same to you, I would prefer long sleeves," he said calmly but seriously.

"Oh? And why is that?" she said with mock ignorance.

Mouse walked up beside her and pushed the door to the office closed and leaned against it.

"Listen, I don't ask for much," he said trying to remain calm. "All I ask is that you order long sleeves. If you don't order long sleeves, I'll wear my own. Simple as that."

"You are the most ornery, disrespectful person I've ever met."

"Is that so?" he said raising his voice a bit. "Well, you're welcome for dressing up and showing those landscaping guys around so you didn't have to."

"What's the big deal with your arms anyway?"

"That's none of your business," he snapped.

"There was no accident was there?"

"You need to stop right now, Stella."

"What are ya gonna do, Jon?"

"Don't call me that," he said.

"Why not? It's your name, isn't it?"

"You haven't earned the right!" he yelled. "And you say I'm ornery and disrespectful," he scoffed, opened the office door and slammed it behind him.

Stella's hands were shaking and she kept her tongue and her temper in check.

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*

That day she hired three temporary workers to help restore the many rooms and ordered all the uniforms as planned. And no, she didn't order a single short sleeved shirt for Mouse. She flipped through all of the flora brochures that the landscapers had left but she couldn't concentrate on it. She couldn't keep her mind off of all the peculiar things about Mouse. He was rugged and dirty...until today. And he was quiet and kept to himself...until he was ready to speak his mind. He was hard and crass...but he sang songs to himself as he tended to flowers. And he was such a jerk to her...but for some reason he continued to leave his door cracked in case she came to spy. She couldn't figure this guy out. Why didn't he want her to know his name? And why won't he tell her what happened to his arms? All she knew was that she was pissed at him for being so...right...she finally realized.I was just as much a jerk as he was, she told herself.He was just a lot better at it.

A light rapping knock came on the door. It was Mouse. Suddenly Stella felt nervous. The comment that he had made about it being more satisfying working together to reach a common goal kept playing over and over in her head.

"I have some ideas to run past you," said Mouse.

"Oh, great!" Stella exclaimed, grateful that he wasn't there to humiliate her any more. "Come on in and we'll get started. I've been looking through these books but to be honest, I don't know anything about flowers and trees."

"It's more complicated that it looks," he said as he took a seat right next to her and pulled it as close to her as he could. He began organizing the materials in front of them.

This was the closest she'd ever been to him. She watched his hands as they turned the pages. She noticed that his nails were clean and trimmed. She wondered if he had intended on impressing her.

He went on explaining the difference in annuals, perennials, and evergreens; what plants were good for the area and soil, pH content, blah, blah, blah. Stella didn't care. She watched him talk, she didn't listen. At one point she had caught herself biting her bottom lip as she stared at his mouth.

Maybe just one kiss, she thought.Just one and I would be satisfied.

"Stella-" he said interrupting her thoughts once again.

"What?"

"I asked you if you like fruit trees. We have some in the back. Do you want to keep them?"

"Yes. That would be nice," she replied trying to salvage what was left of her composure.

He caught me!"

"Why don't I let you look these over a bit more now that you have a better idea of what types of plants we should get. Alright?"

"Yeah. Yeah, okay."

Mouse closed the books and left her to them.

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*

That night Stella lay restless in bed. Mouse invaded her every thought. It was around that time.If I want to see Mouse I should go now, she thought. "No! I'm not going down thereany more! This has got to stop!

What was it that kept urging her to go one last time?

One last time.

One last time.

She knew better but the compromise was incredibly tempting.

I'm sure he knows that I went last night. And if he does know that I went last night then surely he came to my room and heard my vibrator!

Stella was mortified.That would explain the way he was acting in the office-talking about tools. He thinks he's so clever. Surely he wouldn't expect me to go down there tonight after embarrassing me so badly.

One more time. I could just look. If the door isn't cracked, I can just come back to my room. I don't even have to walk down to hall to the door.

Maybe he's doing it again. Maybe with the covers off!

Stella walked carefully down the hall. She knew she would die if he caught her but even that wasn't enough to keep her away.

When she got to the door, she put her face as close as she could to the crack in the door without touching it.

Nothing yet but the faded yellow light that fell on the bed. All she could hear was her own breath. She waited patiently for just a moment as she peered into the room.

Suddenly, a strong arm wrapped around her waist and a rough hand covered her mouth before she could scream. Mouse picked her up off her feet enough to back into the room, pulling her with him.

Mouse closed the door behind him and pushed her gently against the wall.

His face was barely visible but she could see his eyes well enough.

Mouse slowly moved his hand from her mouth but she was too terrified to speak.

"Fancy meeting you here," she said with a smirk. "You come here often?"

"I only came here to apologize," she squeaked.

"Oh, yeah?" he replied. "For what?" She could tell that he wasn't believing a word she said.

"I called you ornery and disrespectful," she whispered, shaken with nerves. "You were right, I'm sorry."

"Okay. Apology accepted," he said releasing her.

Stella breathed a sigh of relief. She couldn't believe he was letting her off this easy. She placed her hand on the door knob and tried to open it but it didn't budge. Looking down, she saw Mouse's foot pressed against the door keeping it closed. She looked up at him and he chuckled to himself.

"Where are you going?"

"Going back to my room," she answered nervously.

"Well, what about the other reason you came?"

Stella's heart was almost busting through her chest. Her eyes darted around searching for something to say.

"I don't know what you mean," she stammered.

"Oh, you know, a private peep show? A strip tease? Maybe a piece of the action?"

"How dare you!" she snarled with tears welling in her eyes.

"Give me one good reason you come spy on me every night and I'll drop it."

"This ismy house, I don't have to answer to you!" she snapped.

"You're right! I'm sorry. You're highness doesn't have to answer to peons. So I suppose you can go now, Princess Stella. And I'll even let you kiss me goodnight."

"Why the hell would I want to do that?" she asked.

Mouse moved closer to her face once more. Her body began to break out into a cold sweat as he put one hand on her face.

"Because I can tell by the way that you look at me that you want to. You stare at me, at my lips."

Stella shook her head in denial, on the verge of breaking down.

"No? You don't want to kiss me?" he said with mock surprise.

She just shook her head again.

"Really? Well how about I give you a chance to prove it?"

Stella was confused. How in the world could she possibly prove that she didn't want to kiss him-even though she did?

Mouse gently pressed his lips to hers. Stella struggled with herself to not respond to him at all.

A moment later Mouse retreated. "Humph. Maybe you didn't want to."

Stella's eyes closed with relief. She'd passed. She was able to control herself for a change-despite how badly she wanted to kiss him back.

"Nah. I don't think I believe you." Mouse grabbed her face and kissed her again. This time was harder. He pushed her lips apart with his and slid his tongue into her mouth.

Needless to say, Stella was caught by surprise and wasn't prepared to fight back to maintain her integrity. Instead, she folded. She sighed in defeat and began to kiss him back. His lips were so soft, she found, and his kiss was so sweet.

Stella felt his arms wrap around her and she nearly collapsed as her lust for him overtook her sense of reason. He had won again. Mouse began to laugh softly as he pulled away. He had proven her wrong. He had broken her will to resist him and took sick pleasure in it.

When Stella finally realized the pleasure he got from breaking her she burst into tears and pushed him with both of her hands as hard as she could.

"You're such a fucking ass!" she screamed. Then she jerked open the door and tore off down the hall.

"Stella, wait!" Mouse called, doing his best to suppress his laughter. He followed her back to her room but before he could get there she slammed the door shut.

Now you've done it, he thought to himself.Iaman ass. He stood outside her door for a moment debating his next move. But he didn't take long to decide. Mouse opened her bedroom door and closed it behind him.

"Get out!" she screamed. She had already crawled under her sheets and began soaking her pillow in the moon lit room.

"I'm not going to leave. We have some unresolved business to attend to."

"Please, just leave!"

Mouse walked over by her bed and sat on the edge.

"I shouldn't have laughed at you. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry," he said genuinely.

Stella ceased her sobs as best she could so she could listen.

"But all you had to do was tell me the truth because I already knew," he said and leaned in to kiss her but she successfully pulled away.

"Please leave," she said softly.

But he would hear none of it.

"You'll feel so much better if we resolve this tonight and so will I." When nothing but silence was her reply, he continued. "I'm sorry for being a prick. If it makes you feel any better, you can be a total cunt to me," he joked.

"What happened to your arms?" she shouted.

That question sobered Mouse up quickly. And by the look in his eyes she could tell she had crossed the line.

"You're a relentless bitch, aren't you?" he said. "Fine. You want to fucking know what happened to my arms? Look!" Mouse ripped open his shirt, popping the buttons off and he threw it to the floor.

Stella was scared. She was uncertain what he was capable of when he was angry and cowered away when he jumped on the bed next to her, sitting up on his knees.

"Look! You see these scars? All these little circular scars?" he asked, pointing. "Cigarette burns from when I was a kid. My father would burn me when I did something wrong-or even just for the hell of it!" Mouse's eyes were burning into her. "When I was 15, I finally started sticking up for myself and he didn't like it. We got in a fist fight and it ended when I pushed him down the stairs. He later died of a brain contusion," he said as his voice level began to trail off.

Stella was shocked by the story. It certainly was nothing like what she had expected. She was still in tears but now she cried for a different reason. She couldn't believe how insensitive she had been.

"Oh my god, Mouse, I had no idea," she whispered painfully. Mouse headed for the door but Stella jumped out of bed and beat him there. "Mouse, I'm sorry. Please, don't leave."

"Listen, Stella, for the sake of your conscience and so you can sleep tonight, I forgive you. Feel better now?" he said sarcastically trying to get to the door.

"No!" she yelled. "It's not about me. I reallyam sorry."

"Stella, it's alright, really. You didn't know." Mouse was a little surprised at how sincere she was and his wall began to crumble when she wrapped her arms around his neck. He slowly held her to himself as she cried softly into the crook of his neck.

His strong arms felt so good around her. Once Stella stopped crying, she timidly pressed her lips against his throat. She moved up his neck and kissed his face and then his lips. Then she slid her hands down his shoulders and the length of his arms feeling the round scars with her fingertips.

"Stella, what are you doing?" Mouse sighed.

"I'm showing you that you don't have to hide from me. And I think I'm finally starting to see who you really are and it isn't this," she said rubbing his arms. "No one has a say in who you are except for you, not even your father. You can't allow this to define you and you can't change what happened. You can only either let it make you weak or use it to make you strong, Mouse. And it's your choice."

Mouse remained silent. It was a moment before Stella realized that he was struggling not to cry.

"Don't suppress it anymore. Let it go," she said. "It's time to forgive him for hurting you and forgive yourself, too."

Mouse broke down and fell to the ground sobbing. He sat up against the door with his knees to his chest and his face buried in his hands.

Stella joined him on the floor to cry, never shushing him. It was apparent that he had shelved these feelings and they have remained unvisited for many years.

When Mouse stopped crying, he wiped his face on his hands. He sat staring into nothing for a moment in deep thought.

"It's strange," he began quietly. "I've never opened up to anyone in my entire life. And you say a few things and I cry like a baby," he said with a chuckle. "I haven't cried since that day 15 years ago."

"Do you feel any better?"

Mouse thought for a moment before he answered. "I do. It hurts-a lot. But I feel better. I just don't know if I can fully forgive him or myself."

"What he did was not your fault. And you were protecting yourself. You have to forgive so you can move on."

Mouse wiped his eyes one more time and looked at her.

"I know. But it's going to be hard and take a bit more time."

Stella smiled. The untouchable stone surrounding his heart was was cracking like and egg shell and she was seeing the real Jon Crowley for the first time.

"So I guess you're not as big a spoiled bitch as I thought you were," he said trying to lighten the mood.

"You assumed the worst. You were no picnic either," she said standing to her feet and offering her hand to help him up. "And I guess I should apologize for anything that I may have said or done to offend you. And I know we will have a much healthier business relationship from now on."

"Yes, healthy business relationship. That's very important if we're going to make this landscaping project succeed. And I want you to know I take my job very seriously."

"I know you do." Stella was very happy with the direction things were headed. He's finally come out of his shell and hopefully she can get over this silly obsession with his mysterious and sexy side.

"But I still have to wonder..." Mouse said thoughtfully and he grabbed both of her hands. "What of our non-business relationship?"

After the hugging and the crying, she hadn't expected the subject to reemerge. "Mouse, we both know we shouldn't continue to..."

"Spy on each other?"

"You spy on me?" she said part offended, part flattered.

"Only when you put on a show," he said with his smirk.

Okay. Maybe he was still a jerk. Or maybe he just really loved embarrassing her.

"A show?!"

"You know, bikini day, vibrator night. Come on, Stella."

"Alright! I wore the bikini," she began reluctantly, "to tease you or get your attention or something, I don't know. But I didn't...do anything else for you."

"Fair enough," he said and he turned toward the door. Just before he opened the door, as Stella was believing that she'd finally won a battle, he added, "But you still want me, don't you?"

Stella was in stunned silence. She couldn't truthfully deny it even though she knew it was wrong to feel so lustfully drawn to him. He began walking back toward her. With every step he took closer she felt weaker and weaker. He took her by the waist.