Briseis Ch. 01

Story Info
A Roman slave girl struggles with unrequited love.
3.6k words
4.3
54.2k
29

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 11/22/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hi Literotica readers! I've been reading, but I hadn't logged in in longest time because I was too embarrassed, I couldn't think of a good way to end my last story. Also, my laptop decided to die on me, and I got a new job, then my hours got crazy again, excuses excuses excuses! Anyway, I have this story much more fully fleshed out in my little brain, and I've been reading whatever I can find on Roman sex lives, culture, etc. Please forgive any historical or grammatical errors, I am not a professional writer, just a girl with a vivid imagination. ;) Suggestions are always welcome. I hope you enjoy.

XOXO,

~digitalbath

*****

Briseis was busy, on the 1st of April. Well, Briseis was always busy. She might be a slave, but she was her Master's, the great Marcus Junius Brutus, illegitimate daughter by a slave. So she felt a sense of honor in protecting her father's assets, and thus was constantly writing his letters, checking his landholdings, and making sure his household ran smoothly. Marcus Junius was quite proud of Briseis and her younger brother, Titus, and they had no intention of spoiling his good humor. As his only biological children, they made sure his estate was run seamlessly, and in turn, received his constant favor.

In truth, Marcus Junius was far fonder of them than socially acceptable. Having a bastard was not strange, but having two and showering them with attention and love, as well as allowing them to dress as wealthy common people? Completely scandalous. However, he did not care. Marcus Junius had enough wealth to ignore social opinion. And he had won enough battles to no longer care what the high society thought of him. He had served his civic duty in full, and then some.

"Master," whispered Briseis into her elderly's father's right ear, the best ear he had left. She must wake him up, he had to go show up at some temple to appear pious, and he had to write a letter. She shook him a bit. His personal slave was too scared to do this. But his daughter had little compunction doing this, if she knew it would further anything her father wanted to achieve. "MASTER" she said a bit louder, shaking him lightly.

Marcus Junius woke up to the sight of his daughter trying to get him up. He felt so very old, and she was already 18. The spitting vision of her mother, with skin the color of cream, light blue eyes, and pale blonde hair. The only difference was her high cheekbones and slightly haughty nose. "FATHER. We must write a letter to Lucius Junius, before he is off today. You know we must." Her calculating ice blue eyes met his brown eyes, giving a serious glance. "Come on, before I have the scrubbery maid throw filthy dishwater on you, Master!" She laughed and ran out of the room.

The letter was written swiftly, between her skill and her father's wit. He wanted to express what would happen if he died while Lucius Junius was in Gaul. A very distinct possibility, thought Briseis. She tried to push it to the back to her mind. Her father would free his son upon his death, knowing that even though Titus was homosexual, he could make it in Rome on his own, should he wish to. However, Briseis would not be freed, because she had not secured a husband, and thus could not qualify as a freedwoman. Most women on their own would become prostitutes, and while Marcus Junius trusted his daughter, he did not trust Rome, in many ways. He would never let her out on her own. And no slave boy, or freedman, was worthy of her, in his opinion.

Lucius Junius was Briseis's first, and only, love. A secret she held half inside her heart, half on her face whenever he came to visit with his adopted father, which was often. She kissed the letter when her father left the room, as if to give it a blessing. She could never hope for the love of such a man. Lucius Junius was much like his adopted father, Marcus Junius: he was a skilled general and a skilled politician. He could plan for a social event as if going into a battle, and he knew exactly what to say in front of everyone. He had the utmost confidence in himself. Something Briseis had none of. Others told her she was beautiful, charming, and intelligent, especially her best friend, Lilia. But she didn't know if she truly was. She had been destroyed inside, years ago.

Suddenly, her master reappeared, old but as if out of smoke. "Write him a nice ending to the letter, and then you can deliver it, when you and your brother finish his wife's dress." Briseis nodded. Titus and her had been making the shrieking last minute demands of Appia a reality, even though it was against both of their senses of taste. The dress was now beaded from head to toe in glass beaded roses, tastefully tacky, and they had to finish the seaming. Normally, Titus would have delivered such a heavy garment. But they were very close, so close that Titus had known of her infatuation for years. So Briseis would deliver the dress tonight, just in hopes of catching a glimpse of the master of the house, before he went away. Probably for years. In the worst case, he might be killed. She shivered at that thought. I must go to the temple today, and pray for Fortunes' Favor, on his behalf.

Briseis was not poor, even though she was a slave. Her brother's fruitful garment business left her with plenty of pocket money, which her Master had no computations about her spending, as long as she purchased sensibly. Today would not be that day. She purchased a pure white lamb from the vendors outside the Temple of Portentous, later that afternoon. She petted the animal on his flank, unable to help but feel sorry for the creature. As she was escorted in the temple, a cloaked figure appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.

"Speak, Fortune's child. What does a little girl need from Fortuna?"

"Age and sex has nothing to do with it, revered priest of Fortuna," she bowed, making herself small. "I am just a slave. I am in love with someone who I could never deserve to have. The greatest man I have ever known. I humbly ask your permission to sacrifice this lamb, so Fortune may favor him in battle."

The priest showed no expression, except a slight eyebrow raise at the mention of a "great man." "I will sacrifice the lamb on your behalf, lady." Were the glittering candles in the background actually eyes?

"Please, dear priest of Fortune, I ask to sacrifice the lamb myself." She had not imagined it. Dozens of eyes suddenly peered out of the darkness, sizing her up. "I feel it will be a sincerer sacrifice if I do it myself. I have not eaten the flesh of animals for 10 years. This is not a sacrifice I will take lightly." She knew Fortuna loved bravery, in any form.

The priest's eyebrow raised even higher, impressed by the young woman's dedication. "Suit yourself, dear lady." She could see his pale, moonish face turn, as he grabbed a huge basin.

Briseis felt a moment of hesitation, looking at the poor creature, but she knew that the situation had a certain gravitias. She had already committed, and she knew Fortuna hated cowards. She took the large knife and gold basin from the priest, and without another thought of retreat, she quickly and deeply sliced the lamb's throat. It was awful. She felt such sadness for the creature, although it expired without a fight, and so much blood poured into the basin. Even the poor creature's fur was barely tainted by the blood.

The priest seemed impressed. And indeed he was. As they both knew, a quick sacrifice with no struggle and blood only in the basin, was the best omen for Fortune's Favor. As were the gold coins Briseis pressed into his hand, her delicate, long fingers outstretched. She proffered thanks to the priest, and felt much lighter, her little leather slippers practically dancing out of the building.

Brightly grinning, hair a mess, she looked straight into the almost black eyes of the man she had just prayed for. Lucius Junius. Oh dear, I must look quite mad, she thought hurriedly. She straightened her light tan linen and hemp dress, and adjusted her ice blue stola lightly over her mussed hair, in attempt to look vaguely ladylike. "What a pleasure to see you here, Briseis," he said, coolly amused by the girl's own clear excitement. She was turning bright pink, as she tried to sink into the marble steps like a puddle. "I see you've had good news," he continued, still grinning a bit wickedly. "Good things always come in threes, you know, so unless the good things happened to two other people before you got here, I am in luck!"

Briseis smiled at him, feeling very self-conscious of her unfeminine behavior of dashing down the steps. "Master Lucius Junius, in fact, I did have wonderful news! A good omen for my prayers. And of course, seeing you is always wonderful, so I am certain I have a blessing." She blushed a little. "May Fortune Favor you even more so, Master. I must go help my brother to finish your wife's dress- and if she needs anything done to it before the dinner tomorrow, she can of course call for us at any time. It is looking beautiful, though, if I do say so myself." Have I spoken too much? Do I look as though I have completely taken leave of my senses? He was still looking at her, as if she was about to tell him some grave secret, or something of great importance. What in Hades was he looking at? He smiled warmly at her, and grasped her hands, as though she was an old friend. Briseis looked down at her hands, completely covered by his enormous calloused palms.

He was absolutely massive! She had always seen him have to dip a bit through doorways in her master's home, but she hadn't made any real physical contact with him before. That would be untoward. Oh gods, this must be untoward as well. It was like being struck by lightning, and her heart started to race, although she tried her poor best not to show how she felt. "Have a wonderful evening, Briseis," Lucius said warmly, and then briskly climbed the steps, smiling wide. Or maybe he's the one who's gone mad, thought Briseis, now biting her lip. She hoped not, as Senator and esteemed General Lucius Junius Brutus was soon to be her master, once her father died. She suspected he just felt very lucky, since he was known to be a very lucky man.

Senator and esteemed General Lucius Junius Brutus had been adopted into the Junius family, after his biological father and mother had died from a fever when he was 8 years old, and his poor but aristocratic Aunt Fauna had only 2 slaves and a villa left to their name. She was now much richer for her sacrifice, and he had been trained to be a politician, aristocrat and solider. He truly admired his adoptive father, Marcus Junius. He was a brilliant military strategist, and beloved by the people of Rome for his generous attitude towards the plebs and freedmen. He had been born a poor man, but increased his standing until he was one of the wealthiest man in Rome, but did not have Lucius's old family name. Being childless, he adopted Lucius. It truly was a great merger for their houses.

Marcus later had two bastard children, Briseis and Titus, but they were slaves. He expressed to Lucius that he would like to free Titus upon his death, and Lucius agreed it was best. He had his motives. Titus might have liked only the male sex, but he was not effeminate in the slightest. The legend was, they were descended from a slave girl who had been impregnated by Cornelius Sulla. Titus showed that. His wit was as quick as his sister, his humor as affable, but he had a certain patrician quality about him, almost a dignatas that was hard to shake. Titus would not allow any dishonor to come to his sister. Especially not after what had happened to Briseis, years ago. He would need to be out of the house as soon as Marcus was, despite his profitable skills as a designer of women's clothing, and his useful skills as a tutor and a scribe. Lucius was worried that Titus might try to fight him if he fucked Briseis. And then he'd have to have Titus killed, which would be too awkward for him.

And he fully intended to fuck Briseis half to death. She was such a glorious girl, a mix of Roman virtue, raw intelligence and a very slight bawdy humor. And while she was as sweet as honeyed bread, her looks were pure Sulla: ice blue eyes with a piercing look, skin like milk, and thick blond hair. If she was a Roman virgin and a noblewoman, she would have been married at 15 or 16, and instead she was 18. Being a slave, she had no prospects, and with no freedmen to take her hand, she would have no way to support herself if her father did free her. Slavery would be much kinder to her than freedom, he rationalized, bounding down the temple steps. His omen had been auspicious as well, Fortuna would give her favor in battle. She did always favor him, in her odd way, and he knew running into Briseis was a good sign, much like a banner with a beautiful woman on it. She was just symbolism; a sign of things he would be offered in his life.

Briseis helped her father decide on a new tenement to purchase, before quickly scrubbing her body. She was hairless, a trend brought in by Caesar, who had suffered from crabs. Most Roman women removed all their body hair. She took no time to admire her figure, as her face was often seen, while her body was never seen. She hated her naked body.

Briseis remembered her friend Lilia saying "You're QUITE young and QUITE a slave for being such an OLD matron lady," and laughing daintily into her wine glass. Despite Briseis's naughty sense of humor, it was true. She wasn't ready to take a lover, however handsome and powerful. Well, maybe if it was Lucius Junius Brutus... As she combed through her beautiful platinum hair, Briseis remembered a conversation they had, when they were both quite drunk one hot evening, all the nobles off by the seaside;

"You quite love him, don't you!!" said Lilia, pushing against Briseis playfully.

Briseis shook her head. What was Lilia on about? "Who are you talking about, Lilia!?"

"Whoever you're in love with, of course? I'm a whore, my dear. I can ALWAYS tell!" laughed Lilia. "And you have such an honest face. It does you ABSOLUTELY no good."

"Well, I'd never have a chance with him, so what does it matter? I'll just tell you this: he's the kind of man who would have enough money to visit the likes of you," said Briseis, lifting one eyebrow in mock disapproval. "And he's very handsome, some might say..."

"Oh, so it's LUCIUS JUNIUS BRUTUS?!" Lilia exclaimed, almost falling off her gaudy dining couch. "Oh, my dear. You are in trouble!"

"Did you sleep with him?" asked Briseis, expectantly. Lilia nodded her answer, as she drank some more of the fine wine her newest client had sent her. Briseis felt a bit of unexplained disappointment in her throat, but knew Roman men saw whores like Roman ladies wore their slave's hair... all the time. Uncharacteristically, she gulped down the feeling as quick as it appeared, and smiled at Lilia, as if Lilia had just told her about some silk slippers she'd gotten a great deal on.

"Well then, what does he like?! I need answers, dear woman?!"

"You'd steal my customer? Well, fine, I have more than enough. He's rough, he likes to be in control. He's actually quite a wonderful lover, if a bit too much like the common soldiers I had to fuck when I was younger," smiled Lilia. "He would destroy something like YOU." Briseis felt herself feeling a bit lightheaded. It had to be the wine.

"Well, tell me how I seduce him?! He's going off to war again, you know. I don't have a long time to wait."

Lilia laughed again, her high, elegant voice filling the chamber. "You can't SEDUCE a man who wants to be the seducer, do you know? You have to make him believe he wants you."

Briseis suddenly felt almost sober. For all the books she had read, she had never heard of how to make a man like her. "How would I make him 'want me,' Lilia? Doesn't a man just want what he wants? These Roman men, they take whatever they want. You know, that is how our world works."

Lilia suddenly got more serious as well, knowing now the severity of the situation from the look in Briseis's eyes. They had been friends for years, and Briseis was so easy to read. Her face was an open book.

"Well, you're VERY beautiful, I don't think you've noticed, dear Briseis," said Lilia, a bit intensely, "I bet he's noticed THAT, however. And you talk to him whenever he comes over, I expect? Knowing you? You can't even help yourself?"

Briseis didn't even have to think, she nodded. She always tried to be around her father when he came to call on him. In fact, her and Lucius Junius had always had an almost playful relationship, he often told her battle stories when her master was ill and he was over. She had once beat him in a strategy game as well. 1/2300 they had probably played over the years...

"He doesn't want to embarrass you in front of your 'Master,' then. You know how these men are about their dignatas. I wouldn't worry. I'm sure you'll be able to impress him, once he's back in Rome, and your old Master is in the ground." Lilia winked. "Just lick your lips a lot when you take his accounts, and wear your most immodest dress, and I'm sure he'll take the bait!"

"Ugh," said Briseis. "Doesn't that just sound utterly desperate to you, dear Lilia?" Lilia waved her deep auburn locks in a sound protest.

"Men are so stupid, Briseis, about these things! They don't even know you want them until you are shoving your cunni in their lap.

'I don't think so, Lucius Junius is very astute, as you know. I doubt he likes he, or he would have found some way to seduce me. It would feel desperate to me. I want my lover to adore me, the way I adore him. I don't want to win him over."

Lilia just sighed. "You need to go home, you've had a bit too much wine, and you'd be disgraced if anybody sees you stumbling out of my apartments."

With a nod, Briseis had given her friend a chaste kiss on the cheek and hopped out the window. She had snuck below the building, ensuring no one saw her until she emerged near a temple, and scampered off. Silly thoughts for a silly girl...

Somberly, Briseis was brought back to the present. She knew that she would always love Lucius Junius from afar. In a way, her sacrifice felt very dignified. He would continue to see her as a slave, as a tool, as a broken child. She couldn't bear to be with anyone else, and she didn't deserve his affection, so she did not indulge in even her own flesh. Briseis just tried to exist knowing that she had plenty of other distractions, and she would probably see him many more times in her life, once he inherited her. She shook her head, as if in answer to her own question.

She quickly washed off her dirty feet (I might as well get them dirty all over again! She thought, smiling), then she put on a fresh linen and hemp dress underneath a fresh cobalt blue stola. There were no rules about what slaves wore, and her father insisted she dress like a Roman lady since she had lost her innocence, in hopes that no one would try to humiliate her. Sometimes, it felt far more conspicuous than the plain dresses of the other slaves, but she wore it with an odd pride, twisting her silver blond plait neatly along her head, before putting her stola over her head and staring at herself in the mirror. She had an utterly miserable, depraved thought, and pushed it out of her mind just before Titus could hand her the silk gown that Appia Junius Brutus had ordered, and then she quickly marched down the dusty street, silk gown in tow. Expecting to see him just once more, even if it was just a glimpse through the doorway as she handed the dress to Appia's slave girl. It would probably be a sign of good fortune, and she needed all the luck she could get.