Broken

Story Info
Her rustling sheets broke the silence.
977 words
4.07
44.1k
23
2

Part 1 of the 30 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/06/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bleedout
bleedout
47 Followers

Chapter 1

Rustling sheets broke the otherwise perfect silence. The white moonlight made her form glow in slats beneath the heavy comforter, the pale smoothness of an arm the only piece of her in sight aside from the peek of wild auburn curls that marred her pillow. Restless dreams seemed to leave her tired and hostile every morning and tonight would be no different.

In six hours she would be grateful to be awake, although grumpy. Sleep crowding her eyes as she grunted her way from bed to the bathroom. Cold water made her eyes go wide as an empty face stared at itself in the mirror, khaki greens dead above the black bags that had become a part of her description. A stretch and change later it was out the door for another day of exhausting work on behalf of the exhausted.

Thoughts drifted to the previous night's dreams as she walked to class. She shook them away as quickly as they came, glad to find herself inside once more and walking up the stairs to the big room and her small class. A lazy sigh left her lips as she plopped into her seat and opened a notebook, reviewing her notes before the discussion began. The evolution of the legislature, exactly how she wanted to be spending her time right now. She stretched in her seat, canting her head first right and then left. She watched as other students filtered into the room, finally turning to speak to her partner, Colleen, as the other girl sat beside her.

"Did you hear back about your article yet?" They weren't exactly what one would call friends, other than by default. In truth, Madi got the distinct feeling that Colleen disliked her, but she would ask about her well being just the same. There was no point in being less than civil.

"It's actually the front page." Colleen grinned smugly, plopping the article on the table in front of her. Madi smiled and congratulated her before moving her attention to the head of the large table, where the professor had seated herself. Words were muffled as Madi feigned her attention, doodling random geometric shapes in bright pink pen. She didn't hear the door behind her, the sound of Dimitri's notebook smacking against the hard wood with chipping varnish snapped Madi back into the reality of the early morning class. Eyes rose from the table to gaze out the large windows. The view of the small town, the lake, and the snow-covered mountains would have been welcome any other day, but this morning it seemed like they were an excuse for staring into oblivion.

She was different than usual. Sure, they all looked tired at class. But usually with Madi, you could tell she was just in the process of waking up. She wasn't the typical girl he would like at, in truth, before this class he had never really taken her into account, although he recognized her from around campus. She was loud and bouncy and smiled often. Even when she gave her opinion, it seemed to have a punch line. Madi was willing to fall flat on her face, so to speak, and get up with a giggle. Lately, though, something had dimmed. Usually she dominated discussions, voicing her opinion until she was blue in the face. First, the passion died, and today it seemed she had no intention of speaking at all.

He chuckled inwardly, catching his lower lip between his teeth and scratching at his scruffy cheek with bitten nails. Eyes drifting over her covertly as she gazed past him, out the window, and into what appeared to be nothingness. She was curvy with wild auburn curls that were usually tied haphazardly into messy bun, tips fanning out around the back of her head. Her face was heart-shaped with rose-colored lips that she repeatedly applied Chap Stick to. It was her eyes, though. They flitted through the range of natural colors depending on her mood, the weather, her shirt. They were alive. Even early in the morning, as she wiped away the itchiness of heavy eyelids, they carried something he couldn't quite place his finger on. Today, however, they were almost slate gray. They were dull. She was more than simply exhausted. He sighed and shook his head before looking back up to her, quickly averting his eyes as she glanced at him.

He barely caught the small smile that curled her lips. Although she seemed to think she had gotten away with it. Dimitri had been staring at her. Then again, she had been sucking on her nail. A little bit strange, probably a bit distracting. She tried to shrug it off, but it was distracting. As she faked deep though, she found her eyes drawn in his direction. He was looking, every time. She wondered if she were blushing. Dimitri was handsome. Truly, he suited the word. Light brown hair with blond highlights from the sun. It was shaggy; he looked like a limp, shorthaired porcupine. His jaw line was strong and his nose had a bump where it must have been broken at some point. But best of all, he had icy blue eyes and a scruffy beard that always looked like he hadn't shaved in three days. When he smiled, which he was doing just now as he averted his eyes, he had a dimple in his right cheek.

Madi shook her head, letting it move down into her spine. It wasn't a thought that belonged anywhere in her. He was smart, handsome, and a hockey player. She was chubby, lazy, and loud-mouthed. Teeth raked across her lower lip, fingers tugging a tube of Chap Stick from her pocket before smoothing it over her lips. Chairs moved beside her, her eyes darting around the room as she realized class was over.

bleedout
bleedout
47 Followers