Brownwood: Welcome to Brownwood

Story Info
Flash description of Brownwood.
1.1k words
35.9k
17

Part 16 of the 16 part series

Updated 08/31/2017
Created 08/19/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DFWBeast
DFWBeast
2,017 Followers

Author's Note: This is not a complete story and is intended as a prelude or supplement for stories that are part of the Brownwood Collection. Hopefully it will give readers a more detailed description of the Brownwood setting. Since this isn't an actual story, comments and scoring have been turned off.

And 'yes' it's dry, needs an editor and reads like a report... umm... that's because it IS a report.

****

The following excerpts were taken from a business relocation scouting report from Meyer, Jameson and Associates to an undisclosed client.

Updated: August 2014

General City Overview

Brownwood is a small Midwestern city of about 100,000 people located about an hour to an hour and a half north of a major metropolitan city known locally as "The City." It is the county seat and thus houses the Johnson County Courthouse and correctional facility. Crystal Lake State Park, located five miles to the northwest, is also economically and socially tied to Brownwood.

Logistical Makeup

Brownwood has two main thoroughfares; Interstate 45 is the primary north-south avenue while State Highway 10 provides east-west access. Railroad tracks that run NNW-SSE mark the eastern most edge of the city. State Park Road provides the western border. Main Street located just west of Interstate 45, runs north and south and is an integral business thoroughfare.

Additional east-west access in Brownwood is provided by North Precinct Line and Southtown Road. These also indicate the northern and southern boundaries of the city.

Historical Landmarks and Local Flavor

Brownwood has several historical landmarks that add to the personality of this city. The Hawthorne Hotel was once one of the premier hotels in the state and the Collins Feed Mill is still the largest grain mill in the state. Both have been in operation since the 1950's.

The most identifiable landmark is the Town Square. It consists of a large city park that splits Main Street in the heart of downtown Brownwood. It is surrounded by a multitude of businesses including the First Bank of Brownwood, the Hawthorne Hotel on the north side and City Hall and the Johnson County Courthouse on the south.

One of the more colorful examples of local folklore revolves around the term, Johnson County Princess, or JCP. Multiple generations ago, a family with five daughters moved to Brownwood. They were exceptionally beautiful. Their beauty became so widely known that their female descendants were highly prized and referred to as Johnson County Princesses.

These physical traits have been passed down through the generations and are still very noticeable. A typical JCP is around five feet tall, very petite, round face, small upturned nose with a childlike voice. They are also very well endowed, to the point that it looks almost abnormal on their small frames. They're best described by the locals as ''the result of one of Santa's elves mating with a Barbie doll!"

Economics

There are three principal economic centers in Brownwood. The first is in the northeast corner of the city where you find the Mid-State Battery plant and the Collins Feed Mill. The second is Main Street and the Town Square which is the heart of the city. Finally to the southeast is the Brownwood Industrial Park and Lakewood Mall.

Besides these business centers, one can easily identify the economic layout of Brownwood by observing its housing additions. The larger more expensive homes being in the north while the low income housing and mobile home parks being off of Southtown Road.

The only exception to this is the Manor Street Estates. These large estates are found only a few blocks west of the Town Square. Most of the older prominent families live in these mansions.

Other than Manor Street, the Twin Oaks and Brownwood Heights housing additions boast most of the nicest homes in Brownwood. Both are located next to the Twin Oaks Country Club north of North Precinct Line.

Political and Local Influences

Brownwood, like many smaller towns, both flourishes and struggles with having a handful of groups controlling the majority of the city's economic decisions. These families hold the lion's share of the local influence and must be dealt with by any incoming business.

The oldest families, Hawthorne, Rutherford and Thorpe, all have ties with the city's founding fathers and hold multiple interests throughout the city. Most notable are the Thorpes who own the First Bank of Brownwood, the Hawthornes who own and operate the state landmark Hawthorne Hotel and the Four Seasons Resort at Crystal Lake, and the Rutherfords who hold controlling interest in Lakewood Mall.

The Braughm family owns the Mid-State Battery plant, the largest employer in Brownwood. It also is heavily involved in the development of the Brownwood Industrial Park.

The Collins and Navarro families hold a great deal of clout due to their very large agricultural holdings. The Navarros have several very large ranches located just west of the city, while the Collins' own the Feed Mill and control a huge amount of farmland northeast of the city.

Educational and other Resources

Two resources for employee training are readily available. Johnson County Community College is located off of North Precinct Line and St Catherine's College rests just south of the Town Square on Highway 28.

To the southeast of the college is the Brownwood medical district. This small area houses most of the medical facilities along with Sacred Heart Regional Hospital.

Religion

Most religions are represented in Brownwood. The two largest churches by far are All Saints Catholic Church located next to St Catherine's College and First Baptist Church of Brownwood located north on Main Street.

A third large church, Calvary Temple Cathedral, was located on the west side of town along Old State Park Road. However due to a scandal several years ago, that church closed its doors. The reason it's mentioned is because the very large building is now owned by the city and is lightly used. It would be a strong candidate to house a medium to large business looking to relocate.

Crime

Crime in Brownwood is relatively low, much lower than in the City. The majority of the violent crime occurs, not surprisingly, in the southern low income part of the city. The southwest corner of Brownwood houses multiple bars and adult entertainment establishments.

There is some organized crime in the area. It's primarily found in a couple of biker gangs that look at Brownwood as a base. There is also some gang-related activity attributed to individuals affiliated with some of the larger gangs in the City. There is speculation that these gangs are beginning to expand their influence in Brownwood.

****

DFWBeast
DFWBeast
2,017 Followers
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
12 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

I am sorry to say If had been the writer When she did the striptease It would have been the end Sorry He was Looking for a Wife not a The type of wife he left behind For Tommy that would have been the worst thing She could have done to Him.IN stories like this you seem to get inside a Persons Mind and see how they think If it had been Me I would Have taken her cloths threw them at Her telling Her to get dressed and Leave and not to say one dam word to Me! Then again at the Last Parts her in the Part with everyone around them Her flirting and showing what She had I would not have gotten Past that point. Friendly Flirting My ass When she told Him grow up man up or anything like that. It would have ended that second. he had to know How He felt about Her or she was a stupid Tramp! She had to know how it Hurt Him to see her flirting But She had to blame Him for being Mad and as she said acting like a Child! FH! You give No respect you get none in return!

oldtwitoldtwit12 months ago

I have to agree with Pjam1968, it’s the one thing that gets me about Literotica is that they have made the listings all alphabetical order, I find I read things out of sequence because of this, as this part came last it was to late to matter, shame as it shows that you have thought about how to put the series together.

Pjam1968Pjam1968about 1 year ago

It is a bit annoying that the chapters were not listed in order, the name is defining the order on literotica and this should be listed first, not last

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Enjoyed the series of tales. Located in the DFW area just 10 min north of Johnson county, I had fun trying to place the authors fictional city. I really enjoyed all the stories.

FD45FD45about 6 years ago

You make very good points.

The emotional scandal would be in the damage done to the town finances and 'who knew what', sort of like 'A Town Without Honor' but mostly set within the families and the corporate hierarchy.

One can be a huckster without being a Trumpian figure.

Still, I wouldn't blame you for NOT writing it.

Though there is this little niggle in the back of my brain: Huckster thinking this is just a snow...I mean sales job to inflict on his brother; wifey trying to sell this as a mis-adjusted marital feedback loop which had been singularly fixed by her...and Spock, at the end of the day, DID go Pon Far on Kirk's ass when pushed too far.

Just a thought.

Show More
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Crime & Punishment Pt. 01 He was a good man until her cheating turned him bad.in Loving Wives
Now It Ends She pushed me too far and I had to leave.in Loving Wives
Words Can you destroy a betrayer with just words?in Loving Wives
Equation Sometimes love adds up.in Loving Wives
An Average Descent An average marriage takes a hard fall.in Loving Wives
More Stories