Brynn Phytrelia Pt. 05

Story Info
R&R...or whatever.
8.1k words
4.54
3.2k
00

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/25/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kadri shook her head. "Right. Yes, of course. Let's go." She led Brynn down the corridor until they reached the lift. They stepped on and Kadri didn't say another word as she stood there, shifting a little uncomfortably before the doors opened. She allowed Brynn to step off the lift ahead of her, moving out onto the deck while she anxiously looked for a ride for Brynn. She waved someone down and the stopped beside them. "Just...take care of yourself, Ms. Phytrelia. And don't be afraid to let us know if you need anything." She stepped back to let Brynn get situated on the ride before the driver drove away with her.

Kadri stood watching as she rode away, frowning. She watched until they disappeared behind one of the ships and then went back to the lift.

Brynn thanked her driver and walked to stand beneath Atalanta's landing ramp. She stared at it for a long moment, before it started to descend on its own. Brynn made her way up the ramp and walked to the galley where Ophelia's image was waiting for her on the table.

"Hello, Mistress. Where is Captain Chariton?"

"Ophelia, have you been listening to anything going on with the Avenger?"

"No. Should I have been?"

Brynn frowned and stared at her for a long moment. She shook her head slowly as her shoulders sagged. "I...I guess there wasn't really a reason to, that you were made aware of."

The projection moved a little closer to Brynn as she sat down at the table. "Is there something wrong, Mistress?"

Brynn nodded slowly. "Yes, there is. Ophelia...Idris..." Brynn started, and bit her lip. "Ophelia, Idris has been kidnapped. They don't know where he was taken, but they believe it was the same ship that attacked us earlier. The one..." Her voice trailed off.

Ophelia's image did not waiver as Brynn went on. "Apparently, we are on our way to speak to some sort of council. Anyway we should..." She blinked a little, pausing as the thought occurred to her and she couldn't believe it hadn't occurred to her earlier. "Wait a minute. Ophelia, do you have some way of tracking Idris? Any way at all?"

"Yes, I do. Captain Chariton has a subdermal chip that allows me to track him for up to six hundred thousand kilometers. It should allow me pinpoint his location anywhere on Avenger and in most ports that we've docked."

"Oh. So...you can't see it now..." Brynn said. Her heart had soared at the thought, but felt it sinking again.

She shook her head. "No, Captain Chariton appears to be outside of my sensor range. Perhaps the interference from Avenger is not allowing me to locate him on the vessel that you say he is now aboard."

Brynn looked at her a long moment, frowning. "No, I don't think it is interference. The ship that took him...it's probably light-years from here by now. Is there anything else we can do to...to maybe...boost the range?" Brynn suggested cautiously.

"None that I am aware of, Mistress. If the ship is still within six hundred thousand kilometers, or approximately two light seconds, Atalanta's systems will be able to find him. Otherwise, I know of no other way to attempt to determine his location. Perhaps if you were to provide me with additional details, I could better advise you."

Brynn looked at her, frowning. "Alright. Since you don't really appear to be in the loop on this, I'll start from the beginning..."

Brynn spent the next hour recounting everything that had happened to her, and Idris, since they left the ship. Even talking about the memory that Captain Johansen had shared with her.

"So Kadri brought me down to the launch deck so I could come here, and...well, that's everything. You know what I know now. What should we do next?"

The image nodded slowly. "It is likely that you would benefit from a refreshment cycle and 8-10 hours of healthy sleep. Perhaps you should start there and we can re-evaluate you."

"Sleep?" Brynn repeated, her lips parting. "I don't...think I can sleep right now." She tried to take a shaky breath. "Sorry, maybe I should just...calm down." She bit her finger and shut her eyes. "Ophelia, maybe you could suggest something else? Something exhausting and strenuous?"

"Well, when was the last time you ate something?"

"Um...when I...when we ate breakfast on here last."

"I understand. Please go over to the preparation machine. We can use one of the presets that Captain Chariton had configured."

"No, I just...I wanted to go with him. He wouldn't let me." Brynn felt the memory welling up. "But at least, you know, with my power, maybe I could have helped, we could have found a way off that ship...maybe..."

"I understand, Mistress."

"Ophelia, what if...what's going to happen if..." But the words choked Brynn. She bowed her head. "I am so, so sorry." She muttered instead, cheeks flaming.

Then she took a deep breath, eyes closed, and stood straight. She let Ophelia help her make some food, which she ate, all the while answering probing questions about Brynn's life and past, anything that Ophelia's social protocols could come up with to distract Brynn from what was going on. When Brynn had finished, Ophelia suggested that Brynn move into the living quarters and utilize the refresher.

"Fine." She muttered. "Refresher. You're going to tell me to sleep after that, aren't you?" She had to admit, with a secret and shallow hate, that she felt better after she'd eaten. She'd likely feel even better after she washed up and rested. It didn't mean she was any less begrudging.

"That is not what I said. According to my data, I believe it would be beneficial to you to get rest, but you have shown an aversion to it. The next best thing would be for you to drench hot water over yourself to relieve tension and stress, and remove undesired particles from your skin and hair. If it will make you feel better, we can continue to talk once you're in the chamber. I should not that despite the rather sterile environment on Atalanta, it is likely that Avenger is not able to achieve such sterility. Your exposure has resulted in foreign infiltrates polluting Atalanta's otherwise pristine environment."

"Oh." Brynn said. "That...makes a lot of sense. Um, yeah. I should." She moved from the galley to the aperture for Idris' room. The sight of his room made her heart thump rapidly, so she hurried through into the chamber and practically jumped out of her clothes to get into the refresher. She stood and took a moment to get back her calm demeanor.

"Please select a cycle," the automated voice said.

"Hot...long..." Her words came out in a groaning tone, and she sighed as the hot water flowed over her. The water was surprisingly comfortable. Brynn had grown accustomed to water temperature increases that consistently felt lukewarm, no matter how hot the water actually was. She smiled, pleased to find that the system had found such a perfect balance for her. She ran her hands through the locks of drenched hair and leaned forward until her forehead was resting against the wall, relaxing as the water ran down her back.

"Ophelia?" She said.

Brynn could hear her voice in her ears, but there was no image. "Yes, Mistress?"

"Did someone else fly this ship...before Idris?" The question slipped out before Brynn could give thought to it, but once it was out, she wasn't sure she wanted to know. "Um, I mean...no, wait, you don't have to answer that, I just..." She stiffened, unsure of whether or not to keep questioning or drop it.

"Yes, Mistress, my memory does not have information on Atalanta's history, or who might have been the captain prior to Captain Chariton. I can tell you that Atalanta matched the standard design of most human, UDI military transports, like this one. Captain Chariton has made various alterations and upgrades since it turned over to him."

"Uh." Brynn thought she'd get more than that. Ophelia's memory must have been altered. "Alright, I understand."

Ophelia's voice eventually pierced through the long silence. "Mistress, if it would please you, perhaps if I provided a few choices for you, I could simply speak at length about some neutral topics."

Brynn thought about it for a long moment, just standing in the hot water, her forehead and hands propped against the wall. "Yes. Yes, that sounds fine," she said weakly. "I think I'm just going to stand in the water for a while. I would appreciate if I could focus the rest of my attention on something else."

"Atalanta's systems are more than capable of recycling the water being used at least as fast as it is being expended for your cycle. Though it is not recommended, it is possible for a user to utilize the refresher indefinitely. You need not be concerned with regards to any kind of drain. In fact, the chamber floor consists of a material that allows water to be absorbed and channeled back into the reservoirs."

As Ophelia delivered her dissertation on Atalanta refresher systems, Brynn noticed that a subtle bout of lethargy and drowsiness was edging in on her mind. She closed her eyes for a long moment and realized she was starting to feel a bit of disorientation. It had been a long time since she had slept, but she didn't usually respond in this way. "Ophelia...? I feel...strange."

Ophelia stopped in the middle of her sentence. "Yes, Mistress? Is something wrong?"

"I...I don't know...I'm not sure. I feel...I'm starting to feel dizzy...and weak."

"Understood. Should I end the cycle so you may get out and lie down?"

"Yeah. That might...be a good...great idea." Brynn stepped out, dripping on the floor, and got a towel. Once she had it wrapped around her, she stumbled a little as walked into Idris' room and sat on the bed, thinking about the council of whoever they were and the argument she might have to make. And then near the back of her mind, hating Tsela and the captain and wondering if Idris regretted forfeiting his powers to protect her.

That train of thought led to her wondering if she could do the same. If Brynn herself offered to give up her powers, would they give him back? Could she do that? Would she, might be the better question, and Brynn had a vision of herself standing as a sacrificial lamb in front of an angry dragon.

As she fell back on the bed, her mind filling with flying dragons and sheep, Brynn felt a part of her wondering at the sudden urge to sleep and how intense it had become. "Ophelia...?" She tried to scream the name, but managed only to breathe it. Her eyes shut, despite the internal battle between scale and wool.

"Goodnight, Mistress. I shall be sure to wake you once Avenger has stopped."

When Brynn woke, she had no idea how long it had been. The towel under her felt dry, and she became aware that she was sprawled on the bed. She sat up quickly, and looked around, but realized the mistake as she found herself falling forward. She frantically reached out and latched onto the bedding underneath her, steadying herself. The moment of disorientation and dizziness didn't last long, but she was still aware of it.

"Hello, Mistress."

"You!" She screamed, shrilly. "You-you-what did you-?" She stood, throwing the towel down in her rage and stormed through the ship, her long, loose hair still drying. "Ophelia, I can't believe you'd do this!" She felt angry she'd been lulled into a sense of safety. Not safe on either ship.

Brynn turned to look at the projection that was standing on the dispenser. "What time is it, anyway? How long was I asleep?"

The projection held up its hands. "Mistress, you were in need of deep, rejuvenating sleep." She sounded completely unrepentant. "It has been twenty hours since you lied down. I am now checking the Avenger's location and how far we are from our destination. Please bear with me while I try to complete this inquiry."

"TWENTY HOURS?! What?! Complete the-? What are you talking about?!" Brynn screeched. "You drugged me! Ophelia, I was trying to stay where I could be safe. Why would you do that?!"

"My biometric sensors determined that your body was suffering the consequences of not sleeping or eating for almost an entire day. The solution that was recommended to me by my records was to allow you to consume some of the sleeping cakes that Captain Chariton had programmed into the machine before his departure. The predictions indicated that you would be fed, and be able to wash, before the effects of the additives would begin to affect you. Unfortunately, I neglected to consider the difference in body mass and metabolism, which I had not yet been able to calculate for your records. Now you have rested and you should still feel clean, despite the fact that you were lying on the bed without having dried yourself...or dressed, of course."

"Of course!" Brynn laughed harshly. "Of course that would be the case! Why not! I don't even know what to say to that!" Still half screaming, Brynn wished she could slam doors in the ship. It was built so gently. It was hard to throw a temper tantrum when everything was smooth and the doors opened without the slightest touch.

She yanked on clothes, as she shouted at her, walking to the cockpit so she could get a glimpse of whatever was outside of the ship. "Do you know-have you completed you inquiry yet?" Brynn was livid, especially since she felt better than ever. It was enough to make her pull her own hair out. In the back of her mind, she couldn't argue that Ophelia had seen to Brynn's needs, despite how violated she felt.

The projection appeared on the console next to her. "Yes, I have. Avenger reports that we are less than three hours away from our destination. Is there anything else I can do for you, Mistress?"

Brynn stared at her. "You're not sorry at all, are you?" She half accused, and dropped into the copilot's seat. "No, I guess not." She realized her stomach felt empty again. It had been twenty hours since she ate. "Ugh. Ophelia, can I get the number to that machine to get something that will not put me to sleep?"

"Certainly," she said simply.

Once the right buttons were found, Brynn had been able to polish off a fairly substantial meal. Now she stood in the refresher chamber again, looking at her reflection. She touched her tangled hair and glanced at the well-worn boots she'd been wearing. Ophelia had shown her how to utilize the full length of the chamber's mirror, and once she could see herself from head to toe, she started trying to find something else to change into.

Ophelia was happy to accommodate her, digitally displaying potential appearances. Brynn pulled her fingers through her hair, tugging at it until it was semi-straighter and at least marginally neater. She took a strip of black fabric, tied the gentle curls of her red-blonde hair back and pulled it into a bow. Although her hair was still in the way, since there wasn't much she could do about waist-long, tangled locks, at least away from her face.

She turned a slow circle, appreciating the precision Ophelia had used to cut, fit, and style her new clothes. Not only had she been right about the need for food and sleep, but she seemed to be able to provide something a bit nicer for her to wear. Going through the ritual of cleansing and grooming herself had centered her. She would go into whatever council and not accept no for an answer. She stood tall, shoulders back, chin tilted up.

"These Sisters of Twilight are a true threat," she said, her voice even as she practiced in front of the mirror. "My Captain and I had the misfortune of falling afoul of one who referred to herself as a Mistress of Twilight. Her name appears to be Moranna...Moranna..." She stopped. "Ophelia, what was it?" She glanced over at the vanity where the projection stood.

"Moranna Thannatos is the name that was given, Mistress."

She turned back to the mirror, starting again. "Her name appears to be Moranna Thannatos. My captain sought to hide me from her while she searched and looted our ship. He was forced to disclose my location, and after I was found, this woman spoke of other people whose Gifts she'd stolen, and demonstrated her own use of these Gifts she had taken. After injuring us both, she released our ship, useless as it was. No, she released our ship, our engines unable to be repaired by ourselves. If another ship had not been close enough to help, we would have suffered a slow and agonizing death. Luckily, we were picked up, and our ship was repaired. Our rescuers were soon attacked, however. When my captain tried to aid in the battle, he and more than twenty others were abducted, along with the ships they manned. Clearly, these Sisters are a true threat to not only our existence, but the existence of all those who desire to live in peace." Brynn bit her lip, repeating the words over and over in her mind. It was clear, concise, without being heavy handed...surely she wouldn't even need to speak, but if she did, she planned to be ready.

"Well, Ophelia?" She said. "Any pointers?"

"It is likely you will achieve the desired effect. If you are asking to speak before this authoritative body, your delivery seems likely to sway them."

Brynn nodded. That was good enough for her. "Ok, we should be close now, yes?"

"I shall check. Please wait." And with that, the projection disappeared.

Brynn sighed, looking herself over again, wanting to feel as confident as she looked. She frowned and looked towards the empty room, wishing she didn't have to do this alone.

The projection appeared again, looking up at her. "Mistress, there is a communication request for you. Shall I route it to the cockpit?"

"A...from who?" Brynn looked down at herself, running her hand over the fabric of the skirt to smooth it once more.

"There is a communication, from Avenger. Would you like to move into the cockpit to take it?" She motioned towards the empty room.

"Yes," Brynn said, and gave one last peek at herself before she moved out of the refresher room. She walked serenely to the cockpit, reminding herself that her outer calm reflected her inner calm. She was in control and rational. Once in the cockpit, she sank slowly into the copilot's chair and waited.

Ophelia appeared on the console, motioned toward the screen where the communication would appear and where to look for the person to see her. Then she disappeared as Brynn moved to face it.

Kadri's face greeted her on the screen. "Ms. Phytrelia, I wanted to let you know that we've been diverted. The Tetryndai and Felicitas have encountered the ship that attacked us. We've been directed to assist. I wanted to let you know."

For a moment, Brynn couldn't comprehend what the woman meant. "Diverted?" She repeated, and realized that meant the ship that had Idris was going to be there, right there, next to them. "Yes, thank you Kadri!" She said hurriedly. "I understand!" Her heart raced. "Any other word?" She asked, belatedly. "Of, you know, any of the ships that were taken...?"

"No. Not yet. I will see to it that you are informed." The transmission ended.

Brynn sat there, her heart racing wildly. "Ophelia!"

The projection reappeared and looked up at her. "Yes, Mistress?"

"If...If we are going to be...if we end up that close to the ship, the ship Idris is on, do you think we'll be able to pick up his signal? I mean, from the..."

"The subdermal chip. Yes, Mistress. It is possible that Avenger will bring us close enough to the ship to be able to pick it up. Might I ask: what are you plans if such attempts are successful?"

"Well..." Brynn hesitated. "Find him, of course. Find him and help him escape and come back to us."

"I understand, Mistress. May I ask, how do you plan to get aboard the ship? I am aware of the fact that you seem able to handle your own safety, under certain circumstances, but do you think you will be able to leave Avenger and get aboard Astaria without coming to any harm? Or, worse, being destroyed in the crossfire? And if you get aboard Astaria, do you think you will be able to handle the situation better than it was handled when they came aboard previously?"