Burning Crucible

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vik shook his head. “The transports have only a marginal number of sleep pods, there are far too many people who would remain awake for the duration of the trip. I have also come to ask that we be allowed to send them to New Saxony.”

“Fifty-one Pegasi? Yes, there they would find breathing space. A courier will be dispatched before the day is out instructing our director there to make ready for their arrival. Is there anything else?”

“Yes, a most delicate request. The Serenity product that you produce has crippled our defense capabilities. We have empty warships floating above Pax because their crews are too afraid to man them. If you cannot give us the cure of Serenity, then at least provide us with enough product to get our crews into their ships, at least that.”

Lefleur took a heavy swallow and set his glass on the table between them. “I’m sorry, but Serenity is produced in the Lalande system. In the time it would take for such an order to be placed and filled, as you say, it would be too late.”

“There is one issue I must, on behalf of my company, address now,” Kilgore said and looked toward Lefleur for a nod of approval. “How much will you pay for our assistance?”

“Fair value for your ships and for the basic upkeep of our refugees,” Vik said I have not been given the authority to negotiate the exact terms. Perhaps they can be attended to when we are not so pressed?”

All parties around the tabled looked toward Lefleur, who nodded. “Of course.”

***

61 Virginis

“Hurricane, I finally got an ID on the transmitter station for your favorite music here,” Quickdraw called from the sensor pit. “RN Broadsword, some destroyer. They’re really putting out the decibels.”

“Her captain must be nuts. If he wants to draw a zapper attack that’s the perfect way to do it. I’ll give him credit for having a serious pair of dangles though. He might distract them long enough for some merchie to slip through.”

“Easy call. Broadsword’s got a swarm-cluster creeping up on him. He’s still a ways out there, too, way too far for the garrison defenses to reach. If he makes it in, command is gonna have his ass.”

“Who do we have on alert?” Hurricane said and looked for the information on his radio watch list. “Maybe they can get some help out before the cluster gets him,” He traced a finger down listings until he found two call-signs that were bracketed in green. “PAXMIL 12 and ADF Centurion, both secondhand Fast-class cruisers. “Is there any action from them yet?”

“Nothing,” Quickdraw said and resettled himself in his seat. “Got something weird going on with our buddy, RN Broadsword. I think he’s got backup already.”

“Anybody we know?”

Hurricane looked toward the sensor stations when he heard Quickdraw draw his breath in suddenly.

“USS Republic, USS White Plains, USS Rickover,” Quickdraw said excitedly and sat up in his chair. “USS Kearsage, USS Jacunda, USS Vincennes. Second Fleet!”

Hurricane had his harness unsnapped and was coasting toward the sensor stations in and instant. “Broadsword must’ve found them!”

“USS Aurora, USS Electra, RN Olympia, RN Victoria, yeah!” Quickdraw threw his fists into the air and let his head drop back. “Woo! No wonder the zappers didn’t want to tangle them up.”

“Is there any sign of Constellation?” Hurricane stopped himself with his uninjured hand to Quickdraw’s seat. “What about Connie?”

“Nothing yet,” Quickdraw said. “Task force sierra must be coming in last. Don’t worry, bro, I know they’ll be here.”

Over the course of their shift they watched a stream of 80 ships arrive. Half were troop transports and cargo ships. Constellation and the rest of Task Force Sierra were absent from the group.

***

“Excuse me a second,” Hurricane said and took his drink, scurrying to catch up with a group that passed them from RN Victoria. He grabbed the nearest one by the arm and spun him around.

“What the fek’s your problem, eh?” The man, a bosun, said angrily and jerked his arm out of Hurricane’s grip. “Are you looking for trouble?”

“No, sorry,” Hurricane said and smiled sheepishly. “I was looking for some information. I have a friend on Constellation and I didn’t see her come in. You guys don’t know what happened to her, do you?”

“Can’t help you, mate, haven’t seen Connie since we came out of transit. She and the rest of Task Force Sierra were moved out of formation. Can’t tell you where they went, mate, but they were heading for the Avalon jump point.”

“You saw them?”

“Negit, but I got mates who did. No secrets on a ship, right?”

“Right.”

“What the hell is this?” Hurricane turned as he heard an angry voice behind him. Quickdraw and Wild Bill were moving up behind him. “We leave you alone for two seconds and you start gab-gubbing with distinctly non-Wolfhound drivers.”

“How about I drive my fist down your throat?” The bosun from RN Victoria said and stepped up next to Hurricane. “You got about five seconds to decide, mate.”

Quickdraw had the good grace to look perplexed. He shot a Wild Bill a glance and pounded his drink, then crumpled the cup and threw it to the beach, provoking outraged shouts from passing residents. “I’ve decided that I’m not drunk enough to beat all three of your asses.”

“I’ll make you three a deal,” Hurricane said and pressed a hand to the bosun’s chest. “All six of us find the nearest public house. The first one under the table pays the bar bill. What do you say?”

The Royal Navy men nodded their agreement. Their bosun pushed a finger into Hurricane’s chest as the group moved off to find someplace to imbibe intoxicants. “I hope you remembered you cred, mate.”

Struck by a sudden thought, Hurricane stopped and picked up the cup that Quickdraw had so flippantly tossed to the ground. It arched toward the nearest recycling bin. He smiled as it dropped in.

12