Burning the Witches Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
StangStar06
StangStar06
5,800 Followers

"We ain't open yet, but I left the door open for ya'" she said.

"We need..." I began, but she cut me off.

"You need to have your fortune told, Sarah," she smiled. "It's fifty dollars and I'll part the veil over the future and not only tell you what you need, but also where you're going and what will happen when you get there."

"The sign outside says thirty," said Chris, smiling. He'd already begun to reach into his pocket.

"That's for regular fortunes," she smiled back at him. "Yours is a very special fortune, so that costs a little extra, Chris." I think the fact that she knew our names had a lot to do with drawing our curiosity. Even as Chris handed her the money, she winked at us.

"When this is over, you two really should come back so I can tell you all about that adorable daughter of yours and what she's going to do in the future," she said. She handed us a note and waved goodbye to us. She walked about the shop watering her plants and put a pot of tea on to brew.

Chris just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. I opened the note and read it. It was obviously from the woman we were looking for. She told us which of her stores she'd be waiting at. She'd been waiting for us and had begun purifying the amulet the previous evening so it would be ready for us.

I turned back to the old woman. She looked up and before I could say anything said, "You're welcome. Good Luck!"

"I thought that you said...the note said that we'd get the amulet," I told her.

"Sarah, you'll get the amulet," she smiled. "It's in everyone's best interests for you to get it. I was wishing you luck for what comes after that."

Chris and I got back in our rental car with him complaining about how slow and ugly it was, all the way. Of course he described every car that wasn't a Mustang variant of some sort, as slow and ugly anyway, so I paid him very little attention except to nod my head and agree with him like any good wife would.

When we got to our location, the building was almost a carbon copy of the one we'd just left. The colors were the same. The decorations were, if not the same, very close to being so. The sign and the name on it were the same as well. One thing that was different though, was the long black limousine parked in front of the store. Instead of going into the store I pivoted on one heel and went to the limo.

The door opened and there she sat. The fortune queen of New Orleans was brushing her cat in her black limousine. "Well done, Sarah," she smiled. I noticed a rich looking flat blue box on the seat beside her. The cat she stroked seemed oblivious to my presence.

"How much is this going to cost us?" I asked.

"Nothing, I hope," she said. "What you're doing, you do for all of us. If Bridget gains any power or if that thing controlling her gets a foothold on this plane, the good times are over for all of us." I looked at her in confusion.

"Sarah, you're going to have to do much better than this," she said. "You're missing pieces of the puzzle all over the place. That is your gift you know. In your own way you're just as powerful as any of the others, but your powers manifest in a different direction."

"My what?" I asked. I was smiling because I thought she was crazy.

"Sarah, how can you not believe after everything you've seen?" she asked.

"I believe in her powers," said Chris.

"Of course you do," she said. "Unfortunately Chris, that's called love. If Sarah told you that you could fly, you'd probably jump off of a building."

"Sarah what makes you think that you don't have any powers?" she asked.

"Well, first off, I can't do any of the things that my aunt can. I can't do things that I've seen Rebecca do either," I said. "Even Savannah and Evie have more abilities than I do and they can't do much either."

"Your cousin, Savannah has the ability to control or shift probabilities," she said. "She has no control over it. If you look at her life she rarely ever has very bad luck. Even the one traumatic experience she went through ended up with her happiness as a result. Evie controls the moods of people around her, unfortunately she limits herself to pissing people off most of the time. But you, Sarah, are like me. We're clairvoyants. We can't so much as lift a matchstick with our powers. That's what makes you think that you don't have any. But we can see everything. We see patterns and trends. We see actions like pieces in a puzzle. And properly developed, we can see the future. It kind of makes all of those flashier powers un-necessary."

I looked at her trying to at least appear that I was open to her ideas. "Why do you think that you're so good at solving your investigations? Your aunt Angela has been trying to explain it to you for years," she said.

"So what is my Aunt Angela?" I asked.

"Your Aunt Angela can do it all. She's a sorceress. She's the top of the food chain. If she had more power, she could be the top witch on the planet. That would be a good thing because she's as sweet as they come. If either Bridget or that thing controlling her wins, we're all up shit creek. Especially anyone with even a smidgeon of magical abilities. Bridget has begun to hunger for more and more power. She won't stop at a hundred witches. She'll want it all. She'll start out just wanting her land back and revenge on the people who wrongfully killed her, but after she gets that, she'll want more. She has to be stopped."

"Rebecca is a battery nothing more. She's unfocused. She's always hidden her powers and hidden from them. She wants nothing to do with them. And worst than that she's weak. The woman is like a nuclear reactor with a bad coolant system. Eventually she's going to blow. I've already foreseen several possible scenarios in which you lose, Sarah. You're also leaving pieces on the table and wasting your time. Coming here to me was a waste of your time but not a fatal one. You and I needed to have this talk so I could get you to start believing in yourself."

"What do you mean I wasted time?" I asked.

"Your allies could have brought you the necklace?" she said. "They had to go to Chicago for their fight in this anyway. And they are a big part of the key to stopping Bridget. I can't tell you anymore, but I will tell you one thing. Angela plays a big part in this as does Rebecca. But Angela's plan will fail. And you may not use this..." She held up the box containing the amulet. "...the way you think you will."

"What allies?" I asked. Suddenly my mind flashed back to the airport. The pale Cajun man and the two weird women dressed in leather.

"Exactly," she said. "Sarah, working with them will take you from your comfort zone and so will your other allies, but they will all play their parts. And without all of them you can't win."

"I guess I have enough of your money now, too," she smiled. "Tell my pilot that your trip back to Chi town is on the house."

On the drive back to the airport, I gripped my husband's hand so tightly that he must've thought I was trying to break it. I was lost in thought though. I needed to figure out the flaw in Angela's plan or we were all going to die. I also needed to figure out what the Gypsy meant when she said that Rebecca was weak. She likened her to a nuclear reactor. I guess that meant that she could blow up and kill us all or lead to our deaths. I also had to figure out how the weird people fit into all of this. The Gypsy had said that we had other allies as well. In under an hour we were back at the airport and flying for home with the pilot cursing under his breath the entire way. He was ready to try to charge us another fare for the return flight until I explained to him that the Gypsy had let us fly for free.

He spent most of the flight complaining about Yankees taking the food from the mouths of his children.

I think that the very second the plane touched the ground, Chris was on his feet and dragging me down the narrow interior of the plane towards the exit. I was proud of his determination and willingness to plunge headlong into danger for the common good. I was even gladder that he was there then, because he gave me strength. I had those thoughts running through my mind all the way until I noticed that he was dragging me toward the parking lot and his beloved Mustang. Once we got to the car he walked in a complete circle around the car to make sure it hadn't been scratched during the roughly 8 hours that we'd been gone. Once we got inside the car he shocked me even further by calling home to check on Charah.

"Put her on the phone," he told my assistant who probably thought he was crazy.

"Chris, Honey, she's only six months old, not only will she not know what's going on. She'll never remember this," I told him. He just shrugged his shoulders and started the car. He squeezed my hand and we were headed for the cabin again. For the most part the drive was uneventful, but there was one incident that made my brain go into overdrive.

We were driving down the freeway and Chris, as usual when he thought we wouldn't get caught was speeding. We were cruising along at about a hundred and ten. I was lost in my thoughts trying to figure this whole thing out and Chris was lost in driving. Suddenly I felt him stiffen beside me.

"What's wrong honey?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said sweetly. But from the set of his jaw I knew something was going on. I looked at the speedometer and Chris was doing a hundred and forty miles an hour. The supercharger's whine was pronounced and the Shelby's engine note was at full roar. I knew the car was good for another forty miles an hour or so. I looked on our rear view mirror to see what was going on and noticed a car coming up behind us and it was closing fast.

We lost a bit of traction going around a curve but I knew that Chris was more than capable of handling the car at the one hundred and sixty miles an hour we were doing.

"This doesn't make sense," spat Chris.

"What doesn't make sense, Honey?" I asked.

"The car behind us is a 2006 or 2008 Mustang GT, there's no way that guy should be closing on us like this," he said. I checked the mirror again and the car had not only closed on us, but was swinging wide to pass us. Chris shifted gears and put his foot on the floor. He gave the big supercharged V8 all he had. We were maxed out and the car was doing over a hundred and seventy. Five hundred horsepower and Only God knows how much torque propelled us forward. The exhaust system was so loud that it hurt my ears, but the bright yellow Mustang shot by us like we were standing still. The eeriest thing about it was that the car was as silent as the grave. We went into a couple of very sharp corners and it didn't matter. Chris, as good a driver as he is, had to downshift and even hit the brakes to handle the turns. That yellow Mustang simply continued ahead at a ridiculous speed. Alarm bells went off in my head again.

"Sarah did you see that?" asked Chris. "He had to be doing over two hundred miles an hour. He carried that speed through the curves too. By the time the road had straightened out again, the car was a distant dot on the freeway, getting smaller with every passing second.

I didn't say anything to Chris about it, but I was sure that we would see that car again.

We got back to the cabin in the early afternoon. The first thing I did was show the amulet to Angela.

"Sarah, I'm glad you're back. Everything is falling apart. Rebecca wants to make a deal and Evie agrees with her. I think Evie just misses Chance. And with Savannah, who really knows what's going on?" she said.

As they heard me come in everyone came out of their rooms. "Rebecca, do you love Joey?" I asked. She nodded her head vigorously.

"That's why I want to make a deal," she said. "Bridget can just give me Joey back and promise to leave us all alone and she can have my power. I don't want it anyway and I don't know how to use it."

"It's not that kind of party, Honey," I told her. "If you give her your power, she'll be able to take over everything. Why would she have to honor any deals she made? So, if you give her what she wants you're dead, I'm dead and Joey is dead. You might want to think about that for a while. I have the amulet, so we can protect you from her. But we're still going to need a way to take her down. The amulet will only protect one person."

She nodded her head. "Evie," I said. "Call Chance. Talk about trucks, curse him out and call him a bunch of names. Then tell him you love him and get your head back in the game. We need you cousin." Evie ran off to call Chance.

"I'm going to call Greg," said Savannah smiling.

"Good Job!" said Aunt Angela. We may just win this yet. A couple of hours later, we were all relaxed when she showed up. Just as darkness fell and an even darker dark settled over the cabin. The lights went out suddenly and flickered back on.

"I didn't come to fight," she said as she appeared out of nowhere. Her form was more substantial but still ethereal.

She hovered over Rebecca and spoke to her. "No matter what we say or do, this all comes down to you," she said. "Tomorrow night at this time you will either give me your body or I will slowly fry your husband alive and then let my werewolves feed on his corpse. Whether he lives or dies is up to you."

"I don't have the time to sit here and debate with you. Tonight my forces are getting me a second body that I will inhabit if I can't have yours..." she said.

"Wait," said Rebecca. "I have a counter offer. I never wanted any of this. If you let Joey go and let the rest of us go too. I'll give you the power. You can use it with the body you're getting tonight and everyone can be happy."

I looked at Rebecca as if she was crazy. "I will consider your offer," said Bridget and then she was gone.

"Are you out of your mind?" I asked Rebecca. "Since the very beginning that thing has wanted your power. Why should you just give it to her? What will she do with it? I'll bet you it's nothing good. And once she has it, what will happen to the rest of us? What will happen to everyone else? If she gets what she wants she has no reason to honor any deals she made. If you give her tour power she'll kill you, Joey and everyone else."

"Sarah I don't know what to do," she said. "I just want all of this to be over. I want to go back to just being Joey's wife. I'm not a witch and I don't want to be. I just want my husband and my comfortable little life back." she was almost crying.

"The past two nights have been awful. I haven't been able to sleep without my Joey. This is a nightmare," she said.

"But Rebecca, with great power comes great responsibility," I said.

"Sarah, I saw the Spiderman movie too," she quipped. "Do you know why my powers never developed? It's because I never tried to do anything with them. I hid the things I can do. Since we're throwing out movies how about Carrie? I saw myself as the weird girl that had no friends. I could just everyone in my high school class lining up and screaming, "They're all gonna' laugh at you."

"That was my greatest nightmare," she said. "Then I met Joey. Sarah, he's my everything. He loves me for me. Sarah, do you know how lucky I am to have a man who thinks I'm sexy in my ratty old bathrobe with my hair up in curlers?"

"I want that back. So to me giving up a power that I never wanted anyway is no sacrifice. As a matter of fact, my life would be better without it. "With no power comes no responsibility."

"I promise you that I'll get you and Joey out of this," I said. "You just need to have a little bit of faith, Okay."

"I'll try, Sarah," she said. "I just miss him so much."

I walked outside where my husband had his head under the hood of his car. I knew he was checking everything under there to find out why that car had walked us down and blown by us.

I knew that it had hurt his pride. It was bad enough to be passed, but I think the thing that was worse was that it had been another Mustang and a lesser model on top of that. If a Ferrari or a Lamborghini has passed us it would be one thing. Those cars cost ten to twenty times what his cost. But another Mustang blowing our doors off was like a kick to the nuts.

"Next time I see that car I'll be ready for it," said Chris. I completely zoned out then. In my head I saw everything. I saw all of Bridget's plans and it all made sense. I knew exactly what I needed to do to beat her. There was only one piece of information missing and I knew where to get it.

I kissed Chris like the world was about to end. "What was that for?" he laughed.

"Honey, you just saved us all," I said. I ran into the house to find Aunt Angela and Rebecca.

"Auntie, I need to know where Bridget is keeping Joey," I said.

"I don't know that," she said.

"But if you put yourself back in the place you were at when you connected with her mind while she was trying to get inside of Rebecca's head you can find out," I said.

"Sarah, I don't have that kind of power," she said.

"But if you use Rebecca as a battery again you would," I said.

"I'll try it if she will," said Aunt Angela.

"I'll try anything to get my Joey back," said Rebecca.

A few moments later the three of us sat down at the table. Angela grabbed Rebecca's hand and closed her eyes. I grabbed both of them and hoped that I'd be able to witness it too.

Surprisingly I could. I didn't know how Auntie Angela could deal with it. Bridget's thoughts were so evil and full of hatred.

Joey was being held in a cave that was about eighty miles from where we were. It was twenty miles past the area in town where Bridget planned to steal the other body. The other body was a nun of some kind. Bridget planned to betray her allies. She had a man called Papa Tulu working for her who wanted the nun dead. There was also something she called the voice. The voice wanted the nun's body. In order to give that body to the voice, Bridget would have to betray Papa Tulu.

Bridget wanted the voice to have the nun's body because she had learned that the voice was very old and very powerful. But once in a human body, the voice or whatever it was would be vulnerable. Bridget could steal the voice's power as well as Rebecca's. Then she could kill anything and everything that stood in her way. Why stop at petty revenge, over three or four hundred acres, when she could have everything.

After the link was broken, I looked at Rebecca. "So, is that the thing you want to make a deal with?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Sarah, she's going to kill us all," she said.

"Only if we let her," I said.

"But how can we stop her?" whined Rebecca. "Last time we faced her, we barely escaped. She kicked our asses easily."

"Last time we played her game on her time schedule," I said. "This time things will be different because she won't be expecting us and we'll have help. I intend to take the fight to her for a change. She expects us to simply wait here, while she does whatever she intends tonight. We're going to attack her while she isn't expecting it. But everything hinges on you two."

"Just tell us what to do and we'll take care of it, Sarah," said my Aunt.

"Auntie, I won't be here, but this is what will happen," I said. I told them my plan and everything that they had to do to make sure it would happen. Then I went outside with Chris to wait for our ride. As the Gypsy had told me, I saw everything unfolding in front of me like a chess game that was being played by two very skilled players."

Chris and I had been standing in front of the house for less than five minutes when it came. The Yellow Mustang that had passed us on the road pulled up in front of the cabin. My Aunt Angela came outside. "Sarah, is she here?" she asked. She stopped short when she saw the car.

"Sarah what is going on," she asked. Even before she stopped talking the car's door opened and a six year old girl got out of the car. "I'm hungry," she said. "I need to go to the bathroom too."

StangStar06
StangStar06
5,800 Followers