By My Side

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,831 Followers

"Good morning, Principal Wayans."

"Good morning, Mr. Truman. I heard a lovely story about you this morning," the man said through his smile.

"Oh?" Gary asked cautiously.

"You played guitar at the visitation for our recently departed Mateo Lopez?"

"Oh! Yes, I happened to be working at the Funeral Home last night and... the opportunity presented itself." Gary didn't want to embarrass Mr. Fitzgerald about the technical malfunction.

"That was a deeply touching gesture and when I heard about it I was truly moved by your willingness to ease their pain with your music," the principal said.

Gary smiled and nodded wanting to get to class but he saw the principal wasn't finished.

"I was wondering if you would be willing to play a song for the school at this afternoon's assembly. We're going to do a little tribute to Mateo," the man asked.

Gary froze. "In front of all the students and teachers?"

"Just think of it as if you were playing for one person... one special person," Principal Wayans said with a knowing smile.

"One song?"

The man nodded. "Something sweet to remember our lost friend. Did you bring your guitar?"

"Yes, it's in my truck. I- I suppose I could do one song," Gary said hesitantly.

"Great! Two o'clock in the gym. Bring your guitar and I'll introduce you," the principal exclaimed and patted him on the shoulder as he moved off down the hall.

Gary watched him go then turned to walk to his own first class. He stopped when he saw Marlene leaning up against the wall watching him with a sly smile.

"You told him?" Gary gasped.

"Talent like yours is something to be shared, exposed, and profited from Gary! Not hidden and hoarded. You have the potential to be a star!" she said with a smile and before he could argue she gave him a quick kiss and slipped away on her way to class.

Gary watched her hips sway and struggled to maintain his annoyance at her interference. He headed off to his class unaware Todd had been listening in from the adjoining hallway.

With a smile Todd headed the other way.

He'd been in the parking lot when Gary and Emma arrived and watched his girlfriend head inside. She still didn't look happy with Gary so Todd wondered if the twerp was still bugging her. He'd followed Gary inside and was trying to think of how to deal with him when he spotted the principal approaching. He took the side corridor and pretended to look at his cell phone while he listened in.

Todd was pissed to hear that Gary was going to get the spotlight at the assembly. When he saw Marlene shaking that sweet ass of hers for him down the hallway after kissing the jerk, Todd got a really good idea.

First, he'd take the spotlight from Gary.

Then he'd take Marlene. And he knew just how to do it.

Classes at the end of the year were largely just a social activity. Exams were done, lessons were over, and for the senior class it was a time to say goodbye. The assembly was the school's little farewell before the graduation ceremony.

Gary was standing by the stage at one end of the gym with his guitar case in hand nervously watching the kids filling the bleachers on both sides. He could see Marlene sitting in the center seat of the front row on the left side of the gym. Sitting opposite her was Emma... and Todd. The big goof was holding Emma's hand- no, he wasn't going to criticize her choice for a boyfriend. If she was happy he would be happy for her.

He looked back at Marlene. She was smiling in his direction and he tried to smile back but he really didn't want to do this.

Principal Wayans walked out into the center of the gym and welcomed the student body and the graduating class. Then he spoke about Mateo and the room was quiet as everyone was thinking about him.

"As a tribute to Mateo our very own Gary Truman will play a song in his memory. Gary?" the principal said holding his arm out for him. As he walked out to join the principal the kids clapped for him and he had to admit that felt nice. He shook the principal's hand then set the case down and opened it.

And his heart leapt into his throat.

The guitar's neck was broken, almost completely separated from the body. He stared down at his prized possession in shock.

"What happened?" Principal Wayans asked in concern.

Gary looked at the man as he lifted the broken instrument from the case. There were gasps of dismay and disappointment from the bleachers as everyone got a look at the guitar's condition.

"I don't know. It was fine last night but... I'd never played that long before? It was an old guitar," Gary mumbled, still in shock.

The principal gestured for Mr. Thompson, the music teacher to come out. Turning off the mic he asked the man something. The teacher smiled and nodded before rushing away and out of the gym. Turning the mic on again the principal addressed the students.

"Ok, we're going to have to make alternate plans. Gary will be back shortly." He nodded to Gary who put his guitar back in the case and went back to his spot against the wall.

Gary had no idea what Wayans was talking about. He had no alternate. This was his only guitar. He might have enough money to get another cheap guitar with the extra money he received but that money should be going to his upcoming expenses.

He watched the assembly proceed without truly paying attention as his mind was a million miles away.

Gary came back to the present when he heard his name being called. He walked back out to the center of the gym where Principal Wayans, Mr. Thompson and Julia Lopez, Mateo's sister were standing. She smiled at him and he returned it. Then he noticed Mr. Thompson was holding his electric guitar connected to its amp.

The principal turned off the mic once more and leaned towards the young girl. "Julia, can you tell Gary some songs Mateo liked? Gary if you know how to play one let me know."

Julia nodded shyly and mentioned a few songs. Gary smiled when he heard one he liked and knew. He nodded to the group and accepted the guitar from the teacher. They moved back leaving him standing out in the middle of the room all by himself. He adjusted the tuning just a little and practiced a riff as he'd never played an electric guitar before. He heard the excited chatter as the students realized he knew how to play.

He closed his eyes and thought of Marlene as the principal suggested but all he could see was her kneeling between his legs last night. That did nothing to calm him. He pushed that thought from his mind and tried to capture a happy moment.

The morning sun was low in the sky and backlit Emma's swinging ponytail as she ran down the lane to meet him by his truck. Gary was surprised by the image that slipped into his mind but realized it did the trick. He felt himself calming. He was ready.

He played the opening notes of Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

The kids went nuts and he just let their cheering wash over him as he stayed in his cocoon of calm and peace. He felt warm and happy as he let the music flow through him with a small smile on his lips.

Emma was grinning from ear to ear as she watched Gary play. She knew how good he was and also knew how little he wanted to be out there. Typically, his music wasn't for anyone but him and his closest friends. She saw his eyes were closed and knew he was in his happy place.

She glanced over at Todd and saw his mouth was open in shock. She grinned at him and squeezed his hand. When he glanced at her she caught some emotion flash over his face but he smiled at her.

"He's full of surprises," he said and she nodded, turning her face back to Gary.

Emma was so proud of Gary and she was going to tell him so on the way home.

Todd was furious. He'd thought breaking into Gary's truck to snap the neck of the guitar would have been sufficient to kill Gary's little moment as the center of attention but the damn principal had a backup plan. Now Gary was even more popular.

He looked across the floor to see Marlene. She had a smug, self-satisfied smile on her face. She was probably thinking of fucking Gary tonight as a reward. Fuck, he hated that twerp so much right now! He kept the smile on his face for Emma's sake. Watching her smiling face as she watched Gary, he decided tonight she was going to put out or they were through. Fuck this holding hands and kissing shit. He wanted to fuck! She'd been teasing him with her tight little body from the start.

She owed him some pussy.

Marlene watched Gary slip into a trance as he held the electric guitar in his hands. The first riff told everyone this was someone to watch and she felt a thrill run down her spine. She felt very proud of herself for forcing his hand to get this exposure.

She looked at Gary critically. He was handsome enough but would look so much better if he just spent some money on better clothes. He had a nice hard body and his cock, while not the largest she'd taken in her mouth, was sufficient for her needs.

Her only real complaint was his pitiful lack of ambition! He wanted to be an accountant when he was obviously destined for stardom! He just needed a guiding hand to steer him in the proper direction. She was going to be that guiding hand and she'd make sure he rose to stardom so he could give her the lifestyle she deserved. She wasn't going to be trapped in this stinking town for long.

Gary was her ticket out.

Gary got back to his truck to find Emma sitting in the passenger seat with a big smile on her face. He looked at her in confusion and her smile dimmed. He walked up to the driver's door and she leaned across and pulled the door lock open.

"How did you get in?" he blurted.

Emma looked at him in surprise. "The door was unlocked."

"I locked both doors when I left the truck this morning," Gary answered.

"My door was open when I got here," Emma said.

Gary frowned and tucked his guitar case in the space behind his seat.

"Maybe you left it unlocked when you came out to get the guitar for the assembly?" Emma suggested.

"No. I got the guitar case from my side as the key doesn't work on your door," Gary said curtly as he was beginning to suspect the guitar hadn't broken because of fatigue after all.

He started up the truck and got them underway. He looked over at Emma and she was scowling at him.

"You think it was Todd, don't you," she asserted.

"I have no proof he broke into my truck to break my guitar but he is number one on my list of people who recently punched me for no reason." He left it at that.

"You're wrong about him!" Emma barked.

Gary sighed. "I'm sorry. I told myself I wouldn't give you a hard time about Todd. I- I don't think he and I will ever be friends but I'll do my best to hold my tongue about him for you. I don't want us to not be friends."

Emma was quiet as well for a bit. "You were really good this afternoon in the assembly. What made you decide to play in front of everyone?"

Gary grimaced as he recalled that uncomfortable situation. "Principal Wayans asked me to play."

Emma's eyebrows went up in surprise. "How did he know you could play?"

Gary glanced over at Emma and knew this wasn't going to end well. "I played for the Lopez family at the viewing last night at the funeral home. Mr. Fitzgerald asked me to when his audio equipment failed. Marlene heard me play and told the principal about it this morning."

Emma felt her temper flare and turned her head to look out the side window. She should have known it was her. Manipulative bitch! Still, she held her tongue for Gary's sake.

They rode on in silence, each trying to spare the other's feelings.

When Gary pulled into her driveway he looked over at her. "I'll pick you up to drive you to the prom at 7:30pm. Todd's meeting you there, right?"

"Yes, thanks! See you then," she said with a smile as she slipped out of the truck.

He waited for her to clear the truck then backed out and headed home.

When he went inside his mom came up to him to give him a hug.

"Prom night!" she said and he heard a wistful sadness in her voice. She knew his childhood was over and he'd be moving on.

Gary pulled his Mom into a hug and kissed the top of her head. "I love you, Mom!"

"Come have some supper. I finished the alterations on your grandpa's suit. It's ready for the dance," she said with a smile.

He followed her into the kitchen.

Chapter 4

Gary ran his finger between his collar and his neck once more. He wasn't used to wearing a suit and his grandpa's tuxedo was the fanciest outfit he'd ever worn. It was a vintage black suit with an old timey classic look with tails and a black bow tie on the crisp white shirt. His mom had made a few adjustments to it so it fit his slimmer body dimensions. He thought he looked pretty good.

He stood at Emma's front door and knocked.

Emma's parents both came to the door and her mom squealed with delight when they saw his tuxedo. He grinned and shook her dad's hand who was smiling back at him.

"Looking pretty smart, young man!" he said to Gary.

"Thank you, sir."

"Is that Gary?" Emma called from upstairs.

"Yes, dear! Are you ready?" her mom called out.

"Be right down!"

Gary stood there blushing as Emma's mom beamed a wide smile at him.

The old wooden staircase squeaked and they all looked up to see Emma descending.

She paused halfway down as she spotted Gary in the tuxedo. A brilliant smile flashed onto her face and she rushed the rest of the way down.

Gary was in a state of shock.

Gone was the tomboy he'd grown up with from childhood. She'd been replaced by a stunning beauty.

The ever present pony tail had been replaced with an intricate teased up hairstyle with a few red ringlets allowed to artfully swing free.

Glittering and dangling gold earrings swung beside her long smooth neck. The gold strapless dress cupped her modest breasts while clinging to her torso like a second skin down to her narrow waist. With the shimmering sequins, the intricate glass beadwork, lace, and gauzy nude fabric his eyes were dazzled, thrilled, and enticed. From her waist to mid-thigh her dress became layers of shimmering dark gold gauze which flowed and swirled, hinting at the wonders beneath. Her long slim legs went a long way down to strappy gold pumps. Her nails were painted with a shiny black polish which surprised Gary for its boldness.

The flash of a camera brought Gary back to himself and he realized he'd been staring, slack jawed at Emma while she waited for him to say something. Her face- oh my god! She was wearing eyeshadow, and lipstick! Her cheeks were very red but he saw that was just a blush.

"Well?" she asked again, nervously.

"Sorry! You... look breathtaking," Gary sighed as he tried to get his equilibrium.

Emma's smile was like the sun rising. She absolutely blossomed with his praise. She looked him up and down as well and her eyes were twinkling. "That's the nicest I've ever seen you dress as well!" she said.

"My grandfather's tuxedo. Mom altered it for me."

"Are those white gloves?" Emma gasped, seeing them peeking out of his pocket.

"Uh, yeah. Apparently people wore gloves with this kind of suit," he said a little self-consciously.

"Put them on!" she squealed.

Feeling a little silly he tugged them from the pocket and pulled them on.

"Oh my god! That perfectly finishes the look! You look amazing!" Emma gushed with a big grin.

Gary felt himself grinning stupidly in return and struggled to control it.

"How about a picture of the two of you together?" Emma's dad asked and Emma nodded excitedly. She slipped her arm through his and they smiled for the camera.

Gary noticed the time and realized they had to get moving if he was going to pick up Marlene on time. "We should go," he said, very conscious of how nice Emma felt against his side. He moved towards the door and Emma kissed her parents before following him out.

He'd left his truck unlocked as he no longer kept anything of value in it so he was able to open her door for her and she stepped up into the truck. He made sure her dress was clear before closing the door. Then he went around to his side. As he got in he realized that was the first time he'd ever done that. He glanced over and saw her smiling at him.

"It's the gloves! They make me all gentlemanly!" he teased and Emma laughed happily. Once more her beauty made him catch his breath.

He got them on their way and pushed a little to make up the time. As he pulled in front of the school in the queue of cars dropping off students, he saw people gathered on the steps and there was Todd. The first thing Gary noticed was he wasn't carrying a corsage for Emma. A flash of anger went through him. He took some deep breaths and put the anger away as he smiled over at Emma. She looked so sweet and excited to be going to prom. He moved the truck forward again.

"Could you pop the glove box?" Gary asked.

She smiled at him and reached forward to open the door and gasped when she saw the lovely corsage in the clear plastic container. There were three delicate red roses woven into a knot with small white flowers surrounding them, all tied together with a fine gold ribbon.

"Oh, that's lovely!" Emma sighed.

"I want you to have it," Gary said. "It will look amazing with your dress and your hair!"

"GARY! This is for Marlene!" she gasped.

"She's wearing a white dress which has no gold in it. It'll look much nicer on you. Please put it on," he said quietly.

Emma looked at him with her mouth open then looked at the box. She popped it open and pulled the corsage out.

"Ooo! It's cold!" she gasped as she slipped the elasticised ribbon over her hand up to her wrist.

Gary grinned. "Sorry, it's been in the fridge all day."

Emma looked down at the beautiful flowers and smiled happily at Gary as he finally moved beside the steps.

"Take the other one and pin it to Todd. Try not to draw blood," he said with a grin and she gave him a surprised look then touched his arm.

"Thank you Gary. See you soon?"

"Yup, as soon as I pick up Marlene at her place."

She slipped out of the truck and closed the door. She watched him pull away then turned to climb the stairs. Before she got to the top she saw Todd waiting for her. He had an odd look on his face. He looked like he was leering at her.

"Hi," she said, noting the looseness of his wrinkled rental suit.

"Mmmm! You look good enough to eat!" he said just a little too loudly. Heads turned to look at them.

She blushed and took his arm to move them inside. As she walked beside him she picked up the scent of booze. She gave him a concerned look but he was just smiling as he walked with his arm around her. He was holding her a little tight.

They headed for the gym where music could be heard playing.

Gary pulled up in front of the Funeral Home and parked the truck. He walked up to the door and rang the bell.

Wayland opened it moments later and grinned widely when he saw Gary's tuxedo. He clapped with joy.

"Gary! You look marvelous! Such a lovely vintage tuxedo!" the man gushed.

"Thank you, sir."

"I believe Marlene will be down momentarily. Please have a seat."

Gary nodded and sat on the bench after flicking the jacket's tails back as his mother instructed.

He glanced at the wall clock and saw he was five minutes late. He hoped she wasn't upset with him.

Twenty minutes later Marlene descended the stairs and Gary's eyes were immediately drawn to the cleavage she was putting on display with her ice blue dress. It had a plunging neckline and squeezed her full tits and curvy ass almost indecently tight in the sparkling fabric. He didn't know what happened to the white dress but Gary was even more thankful the corsage went to Emma. Still he couldn't keep his eyes off the skin on show.

"Marlene! Where's the rest of your dress?!?" Wayland exclaimed in dismay.

BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,831 Followers