By the Pale Moonlight Ch. 04

Story Info
Tara meets those she's been warned about.
6.4k words
4.72
10.6k
20

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tara threw open the subbasement door and frantically ran up the stairs. She had never been more terrified in her entire life than she was right now. She shook her head side to side in an attempt to take back her reality; there was no way that this was truly happening! She pushed open the door to the main lobby and hurried outside into the darkening sky.

Tara rushed past a boy walking into the dorm, startled he fell backwards and began cursing at her. She heard nothing and continued forward. Where could she go? Her mind was racing; she couldn't keep any single though in her head besides run. Run as far and as fast as she possibly could.

Professor Miller. She would know what to do, she would know what that... thing was.

Tara ran; she ran around benches, jumped over roots and pushed through a crowd of angry students. She knew she would regret this tomorrow, but for now all she could think of what that creature. 'Claire', with her hypodermic teeth and her sirens melody.

The sun was beginning to set, shadows danced alongside her as she ran.

As she reached Professor Millers office she prayed she was in. Tara ran inside and hurried up the four flights of stairs, she wasn't out of breath once she reached the top. Her adrenaline was pumping far too hard for her to feel exhaustion.

Tara looked at Professor Millers door, light shone out of the bottom. She was in!

Tara quickly ran over and pulled open the door. Professor Miller was sitting in her chair going through paper work. She looked up startled and gasped when she saw she frightened child in front of her.

"Oh my goddess, Tara are you all right?" Professor Miller stood up and quickly hurried over to her. "Come in, come in, sit down child; what happened?" She walked behind Tara and closed the door, locking it.

Tara sat and placed her head in her hands. This was the first time she had rested since...since she saw that... thing.

"You're bleeding." Tara winced, that's just what James had said to her when all of this began. She was fine before she met him, everything since that moment had been pure hell.

She let go of her head and looked at herself. Her hand was gushing blood. Her clothing, arms and now her face were wet with a pink sticky slime.

"Professor Miller..." Tara started but was hushed with a hand.

"Call me Deb, honey, we are past formalities, I believe." Deb searched through her book shelves until she found a metal box. She opened it and grabbed out ace bandages, alcohol wipes and gauze. She began to clean Tara's hand. "Do you want to tell me what happened to you that has you running through campus looking like a serial killer?"

"Something tried to kill me, Profes...Deb." Tara began to shake as she remembered the terrifying creature.

"What was it honey, can you describe it to me?" Deb had cleaned Tara's wound and after placing the gauze, wrapped it up with an ace bandage. "Keep pressure on this and it will stop soon."

"I don't even know." Tara kept pressure on her palm and stared at an open book on Debs desk. "I was doing laundry and there was this girl... She was a regular girl one minute, then I cut my hand and the next... The next minute she had these bloodshot eyes...and her face it...I heard the bones in her face breaking...her nose it...caved into itself..."

"And her teeth were sharp rows of shark's teeth? Though more needle like than anything else?" Tara looked up, dumbfounded.

"How did you..."

"Did you forget honey; I do this for a living. You had the unpleasant luck of running into a Vampire." Deb walked over to the bookshelf again and ran her finger along the book spines until she came upon a dark green book. She pulled it off of the shelf and walked over to her seat. "There are a few different, what you would call, breeds of vampires I suppose. They have many common traits, one being that they can walk in daylight, contrary to popular belief. Pretty much all well-known information on vampires is completely false.

"The one you ran into has the wonderful nickname, Eater. They're vicious predators feeding on blood mostly, but if hungry or angry enough have been known to consume an entire corpse. They are considered to be one of the deadliest of the species. See, they have this... ability, let's call it; They somehow entrance their victims and eventually paralyze them. I have never had the actual pleasure of meeting one of these, but the other Vampire species talk of them as if they're royalty. I'm actually quite surprised that you escaped from one."

Deb stood back and looked at Tara, eyes full of concern. She set the book down on her desk.

"I'm actually very surprised. Once an eater has smelled blood there is normally no stopping them. How did you get away, I don't see any actual marks on you, either?"

"See, Deb, that's where this gets even more confusing. I kind of, killed her... I think." Tara let go of her hand and peaked behind the ace bandage; the bleeding had stopped. She took the wrapping off revealing the start of a scar.

Deb grabbed her hand and looked in disbelief.

"What are you, Tara? There's no way a human, without years of training, could kill a simple vampire, let alone an Eater. What happened?"

"This is going to sound crazy but you have to stay with me ok?" Deb nodded. "Ok so when Claire was trying to work her mojo on me I could see it happening. I could see it coming out of her and wafting around me. I reached out and grabbed it, I guess, and pushed it back against her. She flew across the room and started shaking. White foam came out of her mouth and her eyes started bleeding." Tara closed her eyes and shook her head. That image had burned its way into her mind. There was no way she wouldn't see that face every time she closed her eyes.

"I think I can help you Tara, but you're going to have to trust me, all right?"

Deb grabbed her cell phone and walked over to the door, she opened it and walked into the hallway. Closing the door, a large smile graced her face. Finally, something amazing happened that would be her sure way into the Wolf pack.

===

"Where is he!" James bellowed storming through the house, his voice resonating through the halls. Everyone scurried around him, darting into open rooms and quickly closing the doors behind them; no one dared to get in the Alphas way when he was mad. In fact, no one had ever seen him like this before.

"He's... he's not here sir..." A young women said hiding behind a door. Her head stuck out just enough that her curly red locks were visible. "The last time he was here was when you all were here. That was over a week ago. I promise sir, no one here has seen him since." The women's voice shook as she spoke.

"James, my brother, calm down. You're scaring everyone" Cain placed his hand on his Alphas shoulder. He knew he was treading in dangerous waters, but he needed to calm his leader down before he began to destroy the entire house.

"You're right, you're completely right..." James took a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair. "You can come out Jenna, I apologize for scaring you."

Jenna nodded her head and slowly walked out from behind the door, she picked up her cleaning supplies and hurried down the hallway and into another room before he changed his mind.

"Cain, where could he be? When I find him, he will truly know pain." James punched the wall closest to him, his fist went through leaving a large hole. A small yelp came from behind him. James removed his hand and turned around, his knuckles were bleeding.

"Now your scaring my kid, come now James, gain control on yourself. No one here knows why you are so upset with Daniel. They are all hiding thinking they may be next on your radar." Cane beckoned to the small child behind James. "come over here Nicky."

The small girl ran around James and into her father's arms, she was small for her young age of 8, but her abilities far outranked any of the other children of her generation. She had large brown owl eyes and dark mocha skin. She had transformed for the first time at age 3, far earlier than most.

"He's supposed to be my Beta, Cain, you know what that means. You cannot defy my orders. This blatant disregard will result in him being outcast. And I'm sure that he knows it." Nicky gasped at James' words. They had not had an outcast in many years. More years than she herself could recall, though the adults often told stories to the children.

Being outcast meant being branded a traitor to your Alpha; to your entire pack. You may never find another pack, and you would most likely be alone for the rest of your life. Not many made it through this type of seclusion with their sanity. Were are pack animals, no matter the species.

"Cain, call Jessica and Ray. Have them patrol the territory in search of Daniel. If anyone asks tell them he defied a direct order by me, and that will never be tolerated. I will be in my office if you find him." Cain nodded and pulled his phone out of his pocket. Jessica and Ray were his best airborne scouts. If anyone could spot the fugitive, they could.

James walked down the white walled corridor and into his office. The Manor that he lived in was built long ago by Gideon. He had much more extravagant taste than James had. The Manor was three floors high with a basement that was only used in emergencies. Members of the alphas inner family resided in the Manor. Some of his Betas, their families, further subordinates and any help that they could possibly need. There were normally hordes of children and family running around, though today they knew to stay in their place.

The Manor sat in the center of a large compound. Those Were who were not comfortable living in the cities or among humans stayed here. The compound consisted of hundreds of acres containing livestock, farms, houses, and ample forest to run or fly safely within. There was more than enough room for all of them plus more. Any special event, such as a mating of a high rank member, was held here.

A little more than three hundred Were lived within the compound, free to leave whenever they please, free to live however they please; as long as it was within the Alphas rules. He has more, smaller properties, scattered throughout his territory that housed various Betas. His land was too vast for him to rule it all without help. Gideon never needed real help, but Gideon was special.

James closed a large cherry red door and walked over to his desk. He sat down and placed his head in his hands. How could Daniel betray him like this? Daniel had been like a son to him, his best friend, his Beta for longer than truly mattered. With him not coming back to the compound, James began to worry. There was truly nowhere left for him go. It should be easy to find him.

James looked up to stare at a large oil painting. It was of his old Alpha, Gideon; painted long ago when he had first begun his rule. He truly was the most amazing Alpha he had ever met. He was tall and strong. His limbs, thick as tree branches, had been known to, once or twice, rip the appendages off of an enemy. Not many Were where as strong in their human form as they were in their true form; but Gideon was an exception.

He had long unruly black hair, normally kept in a low ponytail down is back. His facial hair was patched and calico, mostly black with hints of red and white thrown in. Over the years he had collected an array of tattoos as well. Traveling all over the world, he collected new artwork with each new pack that joined or allied with him.

James hated that after his death he had lost much of Gideon's territory. Many of the other species of Were didn't see James as strong of a leader as Gideon was. It took him nearly two years to fight back and gain half of the territory back. It was nowhere close to what Gideon had accomplished but it was still enough to prove to the other packs that he was no one to mess with.

Gideon was truly a sight to behold. It was a wonder he never took a mate, it seemed that no Were was good enough for him. Many women tried to gain his love and trust, though none succeeded... or so everyone thought.

James thought of Tara. The mysterious woman with his Alphas blood. Gideon's kin... he could barely consider that thought a reality.

She did share similar features now that he thought about it. Their hair was almost identical, and her facial structure seemed fairly strong and sharp as Gideon's was; Though he had only seen her briefly. He would have to change that soon.

James smiled, he wondered if she shared in her father's stubbornness and terrible sense of humor. He missed Gideon more than he would ever let on.

Bzzzz Bzzzz Bzzzz

James was brought back to reality by the buzzing sounds of his cell phone. He shifted in his seat and pulled it out of his pocket. He looked at the screen; "Debora Miller". Why was the human woman calling him?

"Hello?" James answered his phone, annoyed. He had told her not to call him, he would contact her when necessary.

"Hello? Mr. Lupus, It's Debora Miller, are you available to talk?" This woman couldn't be serious.

"I'm actually very busy at the moment so if you don't mind..."

"Actually, Mr. Lupus, it's very important" James could feel his anger rising.

"And what exactly, Miss Miller, is so incredibly important to you." His deep voice grumbled with annoyance.

"Well, you met my student the other day, Tara. You remember her don't you." James sat up straight.

"Of course I remember her. Why?"

"Well, you see." Debora paused for a minute "It seems she was attacked by an Eater a short while ago"

James jumped up out of his chair and began pacing, he couldn't believe it. Because of Daniels arrogance this mysterious woman had been killed. He wouldn't outcast him, he would kill him.

"Fuck." James cursed out loud. His mind swam with thoughts of violence. He would never learn about the girls' strange connection to Gideon.

"Oh no, no, no, Mr. Lupus, you don't seem to understand me. She got away, she actually harmed the creature. Maybe even killed it." There was almost a giddy note to her voice.

She maimed an Eater? What was this girl?

"See, Mr. Lupus, it seems that our dear Tara isn't exactly human. Though, she claims to have no idea of what she is. She says that she saw the magic of the Eater and turned it back against the thing. Is that not wild? I was hoping you would have some clue as to what, exactly, is going on?"

"Who are you talking to?" James heard another voice on the line. "Is that James?"

It was Tara, she sounded terrified, he heard her voice shaking.

"This all started after I met him, I know you want to meet them but I do not need help from another monster!"

"Tara...Tara... come back! That Damn girl..." Debora sounded annoyed.

"Miller, what happened?"

"Well, you see, it seems that the last time you met Tara you scared her pretty badly. And that little run in she had today with the eater has her unwilling to meet with you. She's run out of my office, presumably back to her dorm... Though she was attacked at her dorm so maybe she won't go back there. Why is that girl always running away, I told her that you were no one to worry about."

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Of course! I'll be in my office we can meet here." James hung up.

He wasn't sure why Miller seemed so excited, this was terrible. Not only was this woman somehow related his former Alpha, she shared his blood. She also seemed to have powers. Who could Gideon have mated with to produce such a fascinating offspring.

James placed his phone back into his pocket and grabbed a key off of a hook on the wall.

This was about Gideon. He would do him honor and take his bike to find the girl.

James opened the door of his office and with heavy steps walked towards the garage. A few stray house cleaners scurried into open rooms and quietly shut the doors behind them. They were still afraid after his outburst, apparently. He couldn't blame them, most of them had never seen him mad before.

"James" Cain slipped his phone back into his pocket then hurried to catch up. "Jessica and Ray just left, they are starting up north and circling the entire territory. It may take a few days but they will not miss a single thing."

"I'm leaving for a few days, Cain, you are in charge while I am gone. Bother me only in a dire emergency or if you find Daniel." James barked his orders. If he could trust anyone, it would be Cain. He had proved himself a valuable asset more times than he could recall.

"of course sir. I take it you are going to see the girl?" A sly smile crossed Cain's face. James stopped and looked at him. Saying nothing he turned back around and headed out of the garage door. He walked up to a large Harley Davidson and threw in the key.

"Taking Gideon's old bike, huh?" Cain leaned against the door frame.

James turned the ignition and the engine came to life. It roared and growled as James threw it into gear. As a sign of solidarity and brotherhood, James threw up his middle finger to Cain, then revved the engine and sped out of the compound.

==

"Tara...Tara...Come back" Deb called after her as she ran down the flight of stairs. Of course she would call James. She saw Tara as a way into their pack. Why was she so stupid and trusting?

Tara got to the bottom of the stairs and walked outside, she doubted the professor would run after her.

It was cold and dark. The wind had picked up drawing in black rain clouds. The only light on campus came from the few old lamp posts. They flickered wildly with the wind. Tara took a deep breath, allowing the cool damp air to fill her lungs and stared out in front of her.

Where was she going to go? The only safe place was her dorm, but she had told Claire her room number. If that... Eater... as Deb called it, was still alive it would be coming for her and that would be the first place it would go.

Tara pulled her phone out of her pocket, it was 10pm. She didn't have class for two days so she could technically leave campus. She looked around for a moment before she began to walk. She hadn't left campus much, but she did know the way into town.

Tara wrapped her arms around her body and walked slowly towards town. The wind blew heavy against her, willing her back to the comfort of her own bed. Though that comfort was deadlier than any icy wind would ever be.

She walked, lost in thought, attempting to make sense of everything that had just happened.

What was she? Three different people had asked her that question in the course of a week. What could she be? She was human for as long as she had been alive. She had often wished that she wasn't, though. That may explain her late mothers distain for her, or it may explain why she never seemed to get along with anyone she ever met.

The only ones to assume she was not human were two non-humans, a vampire and a were-wolf, and a professor who studied the existence of monsters. It wasn't looking good for her. Would that explain her dreams? Her vivid, visions of animal attacks? Would it explain what she did to Claire?

Tara stopped as she heard laughter. She saw two large men exiting through rusty metal door. The building was solely comprised of old red bricks and it appeared to have no windows.

The men were sloppy; grabbing each other's shoulders for support before tumbling onto the ground. Tara could smell the ether from here.

She walked over to the door and looked up at a glowing neon sign; "Good Times". She doubted anyone inside was having a good time. She pulled the door towards her and walked inside. Tara had been making terrible decisions today, this couldn't be the worst of them.

It was a small, dank bar not much larger than her mother's living room. There were several tall tables placed around the room and a small L shaped Bar in the center. The tables were filled with men wearing nothing but black. Many wore Leather vests and dark jeans as though it was some sort of dress code. They all seemed fairly drunk as well. Tara walked through the tables and past some women in leather playing pool and sat at an open seat at the bar.

12