Caden's California Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mr. Lopez, was satisfied with that and made his way to the large sliding doors. He turned a key in the lock and slid the doors open. It seemed musty inside, but that was to be expected after months of being locked up. It was nothing that couldn't be solved by opening the doors and windows to the Pacific Ocean for a few hours.

The building was in good shape. I examined the large mahogany bar with my fingers and smiled. This place was going to be great. The view was amazing. It was the sort of prime location that only becomes available because of a nasty divorce.

I finished my inspection of the kitchen area and returned to find Steven and Mr. Lopez sitting at the bar.

"What do you think?" I asked Steven.

"Looks fine to me, if you're happy with it," Steven grinned. After spending months helping me navigate the bankruptcy trustees he already knew how happy I was to be closing this deal.

"Let's sign the paperwork," I could barely contain my enthusiasm.

After a half dozen signatures and another round of handshakes the lawyers disappeared and left me with the keys. I imagined this is what it what it felt like to be a new father, I was bursting with excitement.

The first person I called was my dad. He was in a meeting but stepped out when his secretary told him who was calling. He sounded very pleased and proud of me. The discussion was short because he had to get back to work, but we promised to catch up the next time I was on the east coast.

My next call was to Nicole. She picked up on the fourth ring.

"Hello?"

"Did I call you at a bad time," I asked apologetically.

"No, no, no," she assured me. "Things have just been really... hectic around here."

"We just closed on the beachfront," I could barely contain my excitement.

"That's fantastic," she chimed but something sounded off in her voice.

"Is everything alright?" I asked worriedly.

"Yeah... look we'll talk tonight?"

"Yeah absolutely," I was a little confused. "Sushi?"

"That sounds good," she paused before replying warmly, "And Caden, I'm really happy for you."

"Great," I felt a little better; maybe she was just having a stressful day. "I'll meet you at Mori."

Nicole and I hung up.

My next call was to Ben. He was excited and told me he'd drop by in a few hours with Selena to take a peek inside.

I made myself busy opening all the windows and doors and let the breeze blow through the building. Then I took a seat at the bar. The security company was scheduled to arrive at some point shortly to install the new alarm system.

Ben and Selena arrived a few hours later and found me sitting on the deck sipping a Corona. I'd found that the previous owners had left quite a bit of alcohol inventory behind.

"We brought some friends," Ben pulled up a chair beside me and I glanced over to see that the older couple had brought Charlotte and Leslie with them. "They happened to drop by as we were on our way out the door and asked to tag along."

Charlotte was a newer hostess at the restaurant she was 19 years old and got her job because she was Leslie's roommate. Leslie had worked at the restaurant for quite some time, first as a hostess herself before becoming a bartender when she turned 21 last year. Charlotte was a friend of Leslie's younger sister before they agreed to split rent.

Both girls were petite and very pretty but weren't very similar. Charlotte was tanned with dirty blond hair and brown eyes. She was very friendly but I hadn't spent a lot of time really getting to know her. She'd been hired at Leslie's recommendation when we started training staff for the beach location.

Leslie's parents were first generation Korean immigrants. Her long black hair fell all the way to the middle of her back. Leslie frustrated Ben constantly. She was a dancer and she made his life miserable by forcing him to schedule around her unpredictable rehearsals, auditions and performances.

Once upon a time I'd had a big crush on Leslie, but she had been in a long term relationship. By the time she broke up with her boyfriend I'd met Nicole. Still I couldn't help admiring Leslie's dancer's body. She had small breasts, I guessed a B cup, but her tight perfectly shaped body more than made up for the lack of cleavage.

Charlotte was wearing a white sundress and a pair of oversized sunglasses and Leslie was wearing a pair of loose jeans and a tank top.

"Can we go in and take a look around?" Leslie gestured towards the open door.

"Sure, make yourself at home."

The girls disappeared inside and Selena pulled up a chair beside Ben and I.

"It's beautiful," she whispered as she watched the surf crash on the beach.

Ben and I nodded in agreement.

The three of us talked on the deck for another ten minutes before I decided I needed another beer. Two was my limit, I had to drive across town to meet Nicole for sushi soon.

I promised to grab a beer for Ben too and almost succeeded in convincing Selena to have a drink but she waved me away.

I stepped inside and headed for the kitchen.

"Caden, Leslie says she wants to come too," my eyes adjusted to the lower light in the room and I noticed the two girls behind the bar.

"Well Charlotte, if that's what she wants she can ask me herself," I responded playfully.

Leslie frowned. "Really? Do I have to beg?"

"No, no," I joked. "I thought you wanted to stay at Cravings. I don't really care one way or the other. Just work things out with Ben."

Leslie broke into a smile and the two girls hugged and jumped up and down in celebration.

"It's so beautiful here. And we can tan on the beach before our shifts," Charlotte sounded pretty pumped.

"Are you going to need any help here? You know, getting it ready?" Leslie offered.

I stopped. "I'm not sure yet how much help I'll need, are you volunteering?"

"Well not volunteering, but if you want to pay us we'll hang out." Leslie grinned.

"Well we can probably find something," I smiled. "How do you two feel about dusting?"

Charlotte pouted. "I was hopping we could pick out the furniture!"

"Something tells me I wouldn't need to pay you to do that," I countered. "Tell you what, you work out your schedules with Ben and I'll see you both here bright and early tomorrow morning."

"So by morning, you mean ten o'clock?" Leslie teased.

"Let's say nine." I smiled. Both girls nodded.

The freeway traffic was relatively light on my way to Mori. Mori makes fantastic purist sushi. The minimalist interior is full of bright colors and the plates the food is served on are handmade in the restaurant.

I've tried to make sushi myself several times but always given up when it's failed to live up to the fantastic food at Mori. Nicole loves sushi so it has become one of our favourite places to meet after work. The chef, Morihiro, has become a friend and he always makes sure we're well taken care of when we visit.

I noticed Nicole's car was already in the parking lot when I pulled in and parked my bike beside it. She was seated and had already ordered a glass of white wine when I walked in. I smiled and sat across from her.

"How was your day?" I asked.

"It was really busy," Nicole paused. She looked like she was gathering her thoughts.

"Is everything alright?" I asked and knew the answer immediately as I saw her tense. "Tell me what's wrong."

Nicole took a deep breath.

"Listen Caden... I think we should break up."

I was shocked and unable to speak.

She continued. "I mean, I really like you and I think you're a fantastic guy but work is about to get really crazy..."

"You're breaking up with me because of work?" I interrupted her.

"Well yes and no," she bit her lip. "Caden I want to be really honest with you, I've been assigned to the U.K. for a month."

"Well that sounds fantastic, but why do we have to break up?" I was feeling hurt, but still very confused.

"Look Caden, I really don't want to hurt you. I've been assigned to follow around Kane Shaw, and I just need some freedom right now."

Kane Shaw? The Irish rock star?

"Are you serious? You're going to Europe to spend a month with Kane Shaw?" I was absolutely shocked.

"I wasn't my idea but it is an amazing opportunity. The magazine wants me to do a cover feature about his lifestyle. I want to be able to experience everything. This is the chance of a lifetime for me."

"A chance for what?" I was finding it difficult to suppress my anger. "A chance to pick up an STD?"

That was it. Nicole wouldn't look at me anymore. I knew she felt bad about this and she knew, that I knew, what "freedom" really meant. There really wasn't much left to say at this point.

"I'm sorry Caden," she stood and picked up her purse. "Don't worry, I already paid for the wine."

I couldn't bring myself to look at her as she stood and walked out the door.

Kane fucking Shaw. I couldn't believe it.

My luck only seemed to get worse. It began to rain as I made my way back home. It never rains in L.A. but the heavens chose this evening to open up and soak me on my bike.

I took the elevator back up to my apartment and started peeling off my soaked clothes as soon as my apartment door closed behind me. I was hurt and angry, but most of all disappointed. I felt like Nicole and I had been working towards something and I didn't understand how she could care about me as much as she did and throw it away so quickly.

And for Kane Shaw?

I made my way to the bathroom to grab a towel. I could still smell her shampoo in the bathroom. I wrapped myself in the towel and made my way to the closet in the hall. I wrestled with some items for a few minutes until I managed to pull an empty box out of the mess.

I returned to the bathroom and gathered up all of her stuff. The shampoo, her extra toothbrush, and a blow-dryer she had left here. Then I made my way through the rest of the house finding magazines, makeup even a pair of thong panties she'd playfully given me after one of our first fantastic nights of great sex.

I left the box near the front door and sent Nicole a text message.

"Boxed up all your stuff, left it by the front door. You can pick it up anytime after 9am tomorrow. Leave your key on the kitchen counter."

I didn't receive a response but I knew she'd get the message. She was addicted to her phone.

God damn Kane Shaw.

I wasn't sure what to do with myself. It was only eight o'clock and I wasn't tired. I knew I'd have to be exhausted to get any sleep tonight. I changed into a pair of shorts and a tank top and made my way to the gym in the basement of the building.

The gym was empty. In fact I had to turn on the lights. Most of the people in the building had a membership to one of the more glamorous health clubs nearby. The equipment here was old and the room smelt musty.

I loved it because it meant that I could be alone, without any distractions. I often unwound down here after a busy day with forty-five minutes of cardio followed by a light workout.

Tonight I was determined to exhaust myself.

It was almost midnight by the time I finished in the gym and made my way back to my apartment. I dragged myself into the bedroom and managed to strip off my shorts and tank top before slumping naked on my bed.

I fumbled with my alarm and set it for 7 o'clock. I was too tired to take a shower and just drifted off to sleep. I remember waking up at some point in the middle of the night and feeling cold. I pulled the sheets over my body and passed out again.

12