Call of the Dove

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,070 Followers

"I will sweetheart. I will." John assured her.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

Two hours later, after an early lunch, Steve and John were driving down the road on their way to Healy and Bruno's junkyard. When they were about a mile from the boneyard, a sheriff's deputy lit them up. Frowning, John pulled over to the side of the road, the truck's tires crunching on the gravel. The squad car rolled up behind him.

"This happen often?" Steve asked.

"That's the Sheriff, Bill Hudson. He probably just wants to know how Millie is."

"Ah, everyone loves Millie, right?" Steve asked chuckling.

He knew how John felt. Wherever his Lori went, the men and some women, fell in love with her. Not because she was that good looking, she was good looking, though, but there was something about her, something Steve knew about. Something special that most men and some women sensed about her. All three sisters had whatever it was as did their mother.

"Right."

Bill was at the side of the car. John rolled down the window of the old pickup truck.

"Afternoon, John. I just stopped you, so I could ask how Millie is doing."

"She's fine Bill, just fine, thanks for asking."

"I'm glad to hear she's okay. Sorry to hear about your car too. You on your way to Bruno's to have a last look?"

"Thanks. Yep, one last look before the crusher takes her to her last resting place," John said.

Steve chuckled softly. John elbowed him in the ribs.

"Well, you take care and give my best to Millie."

"I will Bill and thanks again."

John rolled up the window and put the truck in gear. He slowly pulled away from the squad car. A mile down the road he pulled into Bruno's junkyard. There, in the only open space, by the office trailer, was what was left of John's car.

"Holy shit, you did a number on her," Steve croaked.

"I did. She was a great car while she lasted." John sighed as he climbed out of the pickup truck.

Steve was out and over by the burnt out hulk that had been John's 1957 Chevy two-door sedan. He stood, looking over the damage. Bruno came out of the office to stand beside John.

"First, how is Millie?"

"She is well. Thank you."

"Second, I'm so sorry about your car. She was a wonderful car."

"She was, thanks. What do I owe you for the tow?"

"Nothing my friend. The parts from the wreck will cover the bill with some left over."

"Well, then, let's get down to business."

"In the market for a new fixer-upper?"

"I am. What do you have on the lot that you have plenty of parts for in the boneyard?"

"Well, I think I have something right up your alley. Come with me, I'll show you."

"Fine lead the way. Steve you coming?" John shouted the last to Steve as he surveyed the wreck.

"You bet," Steve said tearing his eyes away from the blackened hulk.

He trotted to catch up to John and Bruno. Bruno took them around behind the trailer that also served as the office. Behind it was a car. Not just any car. A 1966 Chevy Nova II. It had been white but was now a patchwork of white paint and gray primer. John stopped dead in his tracks when he first caught sight of the car. Then continued, only missing a step on Bruno.

"I don't know Bruno..."

"I'll let you have it cheap if you promise to fix it up. It would go real good with your pickup."

"What's cheap?"

"Five hundred. I'll even throw in a four banger, drive shaft, and nine bolt diff, for free."

"Why, is it missing those things?"

"No, but you don't want to stick with that Powerglide do you?"

"No. What size engine?"

"Two-eighty-three."

"I don't know..."

"I have an Edelbrock manifold for that engine. Hook up a blower with a big four barrel and you can get five hundred horse out of it easy."

"All that for five. What about cartage to my place?"

"You have enough left on the '57 to pay for that."

"You got a deal," John said.

"Sweet," Steve whispered as he assessed the car before them.

"When can you drop it off?" John asked.

"Later this afternoon, if you're going to be home."

"I'll be there," John said.

"Let's go to the office to do the paperwork," Bruno said turning and climbing the back stairs to the office.

Chapter 3

Steve and John were sitting on the porch talking and gazing out over the landscape when Bruno backed up the driveway with the '66. When the girls heard the beep, beep, beep of the truck backing up, they poured out of the house to see what was going on.

"Oh my god. It's beautiful," Millie shouted.

"She is, isn't she?" John replied placing an arm around her waist and pulling her to him.

"How long?" Millie asked.

"A week or so."

"That soon?"

"With the help, we'll have..."

"Ah, that's why you wanted them all here?"

"I did," John told her chuckling, hugging her to him.

Bruno dropped the car with the extras inside. John paid him. Steve, Lori, and Millie were going over the '66 as John watched Bruno turn out of the driveway. Turning he rushed to the car.

"Let's get it in the garage," he said.

Millie went to the back door and pressed a button just inside the door. The large door of the garage rumbled up its tracks in the big building behind the house. It wasn't your typical garage. It was more of a service building. It had four bays inside, two with lifts. Complete work benches along both long walls. The back held an enclosed office. It had come with the house when Millie and John had bought it. It was one of the reasons John elected to buy this one.

"Lori, in the car, you steer. Steve," John said.

Both men pushed and the car started to roll forward.

"In the second bay on the left, Lori," John yelled.

"Got it," Lori answered.

Mille was there beside John, pushing for all she was worth. They would need a little speed to get it in the bay.

"Millie, guide her," John said.

Millie rushed ahead to guide her sister into the bay. Steve and John let up on their pushing as the car lifted over the first bump of the wheel stop. Lori hit the brakes when Millie signaled her. Just as they finished, John's mom pulled into the drive. Millie rushed to the car to say hello.

"I see you're all right, they didn't hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine Mom. Thank you for asking."

The two women hugged tightly. Then stepping back Millie indicated for her sister to step over.

"Doris, this is my sister Lori and her husband Steve."

"Oh, so glad to meet you, finally."

Doris gathered Lori into her arms and hugged her. As she released her, Doris shook hands with Steve. Smiling he brought Doris' hand to his lips. John's mom giggled as Steve released her hand.

"So, I see you have gotten another car to fix up?" Doris asked.

"Yes, Mom."

"I'm going to miss the other one. She was such a pretty car."

"She was, but this one will be better. It's the same year as the pickup truck," John told her.

"You know I don't know anything about cars. Girls, give me a hand, I have some food in the backseat. I made a lasagna, a pot roast and baked some cookies."

"Sure Mom," Millie replied, dragging Lori over to the back door of the car.

The women carried the food in the house. John and Steve went into the garage and started to tear the car down. They were going to do a body off restoration. Well, as much of the body they could get off. The '66 was a car that utilized uni-body construction. That meant that the frame of the car utilized the main body of the car as part of the frame structure. For the next two hours, they worked. When they were done, the doors were off, along with the hood, trunk deck and they had pulled some of the interior out. The seats would be reupholstered. The headliner would be replaced and the door covers recovered.

"John, Steve, dinners ready," Lori called out from the back porch.

John and Steve cleaned up for dinner in the garage bathroom, then headed inside.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

After dinner, John's Dad and Mom showed up. Everyone sat or stood around the large kitchen talking and drinking. John's Mom drank club soda she was driving. Steve and John took Dad out to the garage to show him the car. He had heard about it from his wife but wanted to see for himself.

"This will be a great car. I'll be over in the morning to help," he said walking around the stripped down hulk.

"I'm glad, I loved building the last one with you," John told his father.

"Me too," his dad said. "Well, I'll be over early, so I better get going. I'm not as young as I was the last time. I'm going to need a lot of sleep to keep up with you young guys."

"Dad, you don't have to work that hard, I'm going to have all kinds of help. My other brother in law will be here tomorrow with his wife Janice, Millie's younger sister. Then Millie's Mom and Dad will be here on Monday. The girls can help as well. And from what I've heard, Janice is a pretty good painter."

"Well, then...it will be crowded in the shop?"

"Not that crowded. I'll still need your help and advice."

John's dad nodded taking a sip of his beer. John slapped him on the shoulder leaving his hand there as they talked. A little later the men wandered back into the house. They joined in the discussion. Told some jokes and talked about how much they would miss the '57.

"Mom?"

"What is it dear?"

"I was wondering if you could pick up Millie and run out to the airport tomorrow?"

"Of course. Who are we picking up?"

"My sister Janice and her husband Don. They're flying in from Dover for a little while," Millie told her.

"Dover? Dover, Delaware?"

"Yes. Would you be kind enough to do that for me Mom?" John asked.

"Of course dear. What time?"

"Millie has that information."

"Can you be here at ten?" Millie asked.

"Sure, no problem dear."

"Thanks, mom," Millie and John both said.

Soon after that, the gathering broke up. John's Mom and Dad left. Steve and Lori wandered into the living room. John was helping Millie clean up when she turned toward him and flowed into his arms.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you," John whispered back. "Why are we whispering?"

"No reason." Millie giggled hugging him tightly.

They returned to cleaning and washing the dishes. Once done, they went into the living room. They halted just in front of the stairs. On the couch, Steve and Lori were in a passionate embrace. Not wanting to break the spell, Millie and John crept up the stairs. They were in bed in each other's arms and drifting off to sleep within minutes.

Chapter 4

"Well I'm not braggin' babe so don't put me down
But I've got the fastest set of wheels in town
When something comes up to me he don't even try
Cause if I had a set of wings man I know she could fly"

When John's Mom pulled up in the driveway, the song playing loudly from the garage was Little Deuce Coupe by The Beach Boys. Smiling she looked at her husband as he started to nod his head in time with the music. Honking the horn she waited for him to get out and Millie to come out of the house.

"I'll see you when you get back?" John's dad asked his wife.

"Of course darling."

Leaning over he kissed his wife on the lips, then opened the door and slid out and hurried off to the garage. Millie came out of the house as he was passing, grabbed his arm and hugged him in welcome and good-bye. Millie hurried to the van and climbed in.

"Morning Mom," she said brightly as she fastened her seatbelt.

"Morning dear," Doris said smiling as she backed out of the drive.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

The deconstruction of the Nova went quickly with four sets of hands to do the work. By the time Millie and Doris returned, they had the front clip off the frame and the motor out bolted to the engine stand. When Doris honked the horn, the men took a break to greet the new arrivals. Janice was in John's arms as he came out of the garage.

"I've missed you guys," she squealed as John spun her around.

Then Don was there, dressed in his utilities. John took his hand and firmly shook it.

"Dad, this is Don, Janice's husband. Don, my dad."

"Mister Sterling, so pleased to finally meet you," Don said sticking out his hand.

"Call me Jack and it's a pleasure to meet you too," John's dad said. "And let me thank you for your service." Don nodded a broad smile on his face.

"And this is my lovely wife Janice," Don told Jack.

Janice wrapped her arms around Jack and hugged him. He chuckled as he hugged her back.

"Very nice to me you. I've heard a lot about you. I feel like I already know you," Janice said in a rush.

"All good I hope. And it's very nice to meet you, young lady."

"Don, why the uniform?" Steve asked.

"Ah, free upgrades," he said sheepishly.

Suddenly, a large black dog attacked Don and John. Don laughed as he knelt down, grabbed the large head and hugged it to him. John stepped back.

"Don't worry, he won't bite you unless I tell him to or you try to hurt Janice."

"What the f... when did you get him and what is he?" John said, his voice quavering.

"First, his name is Rudy. He's a Rottweiler Pitt-bull mix. We got him right after you and Millie moved down here, to keep Janice company when I was... otherwise engaged. We rescued him from being destroyed at the shelter. Rudy, sit," Don commanded.

The dog sat, waiting for his master to tell him what to do next.

"John, come closer," Don said.

"No, that's okay..."

"Get over here you scaredy-cat," Don said dragging John closer. "Rudy, this is my friend John. John, let him sniff your hand.... no, back of your hand."

John pressed his hand forward expecting any moment to have it torn to shreds by large white sharp teeth. The dog's, Rudy's, cold nose touched his skin then withdrew.

"Steve, com' here," Don ordered. "Rudy, this is my friend Steve. Let him sniff you."

Don took everyone there through the same routine. Only then did he release Rudy from his sit command. The dog then trotted away to explore his surroundings.

"He will not bother you guys again, except to get his ears scratched."

"You guys, come help with the luggage," Doris called from the back of the car.

John, Jack, Steve, and Don hurried to the back of the car, Rudy followed Don wherever he went. The bags were hauled inside and Lori had lunch ready so, everyone ate. Rudy found an empty corner and lay down, his eyes ever vigilant. The rest of the afternoon was spent getting reacquainted. That night everyone settled down early.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

The next morning after breakfast, the men were out in the garage working on the car. Millie had to go to work. Lori and Janice cleaned up and then joined the men in the garage. All five of them were hard at work when John's dad, Jack, showed up. Rudy ran out to greet him.

"Dad, who's minding the store?" John asked.

"Your mom is. She knows I want to help here, so she said she would handle the store. Carl will be making the deliveries."

"Well then welcome. Grab a wrench and get busy," John laughed.

For the next four hours, the crew worked tearing the car down to its bare bones. When they broke for lunch the frame, which included the main body, sat on its suspension in the bay. The other parts were sitting in another bay as were the motor. The replacement transmission, driveshaft, and differential were there with it in the bay. Everything was going to be torn down, cleaned and put back together with any new parts to replace broken ones.

"Lunch is ready," Janice called from the driveway.

Nodding, the men headed for the house. After lunch, everyone returned to the garage. John and his dad started to tear down the engine. Steve and Don were stripping the body of its interior parts and preparing it for sandblasting. Lori and Janice were moving the old suspension parts to the storage area out behind the garage.

After about two hours, a growl from Rudy alerted everyone, they all looked up from what they were doing and watched a strange car pulled into the driveway. John went to a cabinet in the corner and pulled his pistol from the shelf inside. He slipped the weapon into his belt behind his back. Don called Rudy to him.

"Janice, Lori, in the house, now," John said harshly.

"Who..."

"I don't know the car, Dad."

"Okay. Steve, Don, follow me," Jack said heading out the back door.

"I'll stick with John, Jack," Don said pulling a handgun from his belt and checking it over. "Rudy, heel."

"Right. Steve, you're with me," Jack said.

Steve followed him to the corner cabinet where Jack pulled two pump-action shotguns. He handed one to Steve.

"It's loaded," he warned Steve who pulled the pump handle back a short distance to see if there was one in the chamber. There was. He pushed the handle forward re-chambering the round. The two of them slipped out the back door.

John was waiting just inside the doorway knowing that the sun would be shining in the driver's eyes and he would be unable to see inside the garage. Don had put his pistol back into his belt and stood just to the right and behind John with Rudy at his side.

"How did you get your weapon on the plane?" John asked.

"I have papers and my shield that let me do that."

"Ah. Here we go..."

The car had stopped. The driver exited the car and opened the back door for someone. A tall Hispanic man climbed out of the backseat. Another Hispanic gentleman stepped out of the front passenger side of the car.

"...time to meet our guests," John said.

John and Don stepped off together Rudy followed Don. As they stepped into the light outside the three men spun quickly to face them. The tall gentleman from the backseat started walking toward John and Don.

"Don't come any closer," John called out. The man stopped. The two men with him started forward. He raised his hand and they stopped.

"Mister Sterling, I am Javier Mendoza, I represent the three gentlemen you... shot..."

"...kept from raping my wife, you mean," John finished for him.

"A matter of contention..."

"Not by us."

"I see."

"Why are you really here?"

"I was hoping to convince your wife and you to drop all the charges..."

"Not hardly."

"You haven't even heard my offer..."

"No, I haven't and I don't need to hear your offer. The answer is no."

"My clients are of some import..."

"Maybe in Mexico, but not here. You and your men climb back in your car and leave."

"I'm afraid I can't do that..."

"Then I will have you arrested for criminal trespass."

"How do you figure that, just to satisfy my curiosity?"

"Let me explain the law here, to which I am no stranger..."

"Yes, I know who your former employer was."

"Then you know I know the law. You came here to offer me either compensation or my life to drop the charges. That is witness tampering, another crime here in the U.S. You came on my land, my property, without my permission to perform the affore mentioned crime. Thus, criminal trespass."

"I see. Hector."

The man closest to John reached inside his jacket. Rudy growled loudly. John and Don both beat him to the draw. The third man made the mistake of reaching for his weapon. John was in his face, gun pressed to his forehead before he cleared leather. Mister Mendoza just stood there a look of fright and amazement on his face. Rudy ran up to him and stood growling.

"You have just assaulted my men, who happen to be Policía Federal."

"They have no standing or jurisdiction here. In fact, just being here armed is a federal crime in the U.S."

"Well as you have no standing anymore..."

"I do," Don said. "If any of you move one hair, I will shot you as terrorists under the Patriot Act. Rudy, watch. And if you move just a toe, my dog will rip your throat out."

"And I will help him," Lori said from the porch pointing a shotgun at Javier's head.

Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,070 Followers