Call of the Dove

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,062 Followers

Lori slowly moved down off the porch, never taking her aim away from Javier's head. Once she was in front of him with the shotgun pressed to his chest, she took her hand from the forestock and reached into her back pocket. She pulled a wallet out and flipping it open pushing it into Javier's face.

"Read it," she told him.

"I have..."

"Out loud, asshole," Lori said harshly.

"Federal Bureau of Investigation..."

"Now..." she started, putting her creds away and backing from Javier, "...you two take your weapons out slowly and place them at your feet. If you make any sudden moves, you will be shot dead. Mister Mendoza, turn around, place your hands on the hood of the car and remain motionless."

The two Federales slowly placed their guns on the ground. Javier turned and put his hands on the car.

Chapter 5

"I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride
I'm wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive"

The chorus echoed in the garage. Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive blared from the radio. Janice came out of the house with three pairs of handcuffs. At the clink of metal, Javier turned his head to look.

"No, you are not going..."

His breath whooshed out of his lungs as Lori slammed the butt of her shotgun into his gut. He dropped to the ground. Rudy clamped his jaws to his throat, growling deeply.

"Rudy, out," Don called.

Rudy released Javier from his death grip and backed away two paces.

"You will now turn over on your stomach," Lori growled pressing the muzzle of the shotgun to the side of his head.

Javier rolled slowly. Janice grabbed a hand and snapped one side of the cuffs around his wrist none too gently. She then pulled his other hand behind his back and cuffed it to the other. John and Don had the two Federales leaning up against the car. Janice went to snap the cuffs on one and he jumped up, grabbed her and started to back to the car. The sound of a shotgun cycling stopped him in his tracks. Then the butt of a shotgun hit him in the head and he dropped limply to the ground.

"Now cuff him Jan," Steve told her standing over the man on the ground, the muzzle of his shotgun pressed to his spine.

Janice bent over him and cuffed his hands behind his back. She then went to the third man who was now pressed to the ground, a .45 pressed to his temple and cuffed him.

"I called the Sheriff before I came out. He should be here any time now," Janice said standing.

"All right let's get them up off the ground," John said.

Steve and Jack hefted the one by them up to his feet. He was still wobbly as they leaned him against the car. He had blood seeping from the cut on his head where Steve had hit him. Don helped the other Federale up to his feet and bent him over the hood of the car. John was helping Javier to his feet when the sirens started in the distance, getting louder as they got closer.

"You are in deep trouble. I have diplomatic immunity..."

"I don't care. You may get out of jail when they verify that, but that won't keep me from shooting you next time you set foot on my property," John told him. "And I truly hope you try."

Javier went to reply, then thought better and snapped his mouth shut. Deputy Carl Rutherford was the first on the scene. He was a veteran cop and took shit from no one.

"Office..." Javier said.

"Deputy, asshole," Carl told him. "Now keep your mouth shut until I ask you a question. John, Jack, Bill will be here in a minute, we'll wait for him."

"Sure no problem Carl," John told him.

Rudy was staring at Carl emitting a low almost inaudible growl. Don just smiled as Carl looked down at the big black dog.

"Yours?" Carl asked Don.

"Yes. Rudy, sit," Don told the dog.

Rudy sat, still staring at Carl, but quit growling.

"Nice looking dog..."

"Don. Colonel Donald Sheffield United States Air Force, Office of Special Investigations."

"Deputy Sheriff Carl Rutherford, glad to meet you sir and thank you for your service."

"Thank you, Deputy, I am pleased to meet you."

"Well these Mex seemed to have really stepped in it this time," Carl said shaking his head.

"Deputy..."

"I told you to be quiet," Carl told Javier.

Bill Hudson pulled into the drive just then. He slowly got out of his car and walked to where everyone stood waiting.

"Well, well what do we have here?"

"Sheriff..."

"I told you to shut the hell up. Open your mouth once more and it may not be pleasant for you."

"Now Carl, please don't threaten the prisoners. It reflects badly on us," Bill told Carl chuckling to himself. "Now John, why don't you tell me what happened."

"I could show you much easier," John told Bill.

"How's that?"

John turned, pointing to the top of the garage. "That camera captured everything, sound included."

"I'll still need your statement..."

"The copy of the video will be my statement Sheriff."

"It will also be mine," Don told him. "I will swear to what is on the tape."

"As will I," Lori said.

"And I," Steve said.

"And I," Janice said.

Javier was looking a little green.

"I will need all your particulars," Bill said.

"Of course," Lori said stepping forward and flipping her wallet open. "Special Agent in Charge Lori Miller Federal Bureau of Investigation." She turned toward the camera with her creds then showed them to Bill

Bill just cleared his throat as he took a good look at Lori's creds.

"Colonel Donald Sheffield, United States Air Force, Office of Special Investigations," Don told him presenting Bill with his creds. He then turned and showed them to the camera.

"Steven Miller, Deputy Attorney General, United States Department of Justice," Steve said showing Bill his creds. Steve showed his creds to the camera. The color drained from Javier's face as he swallowed hard.

Bill looked around. "I know you Jack and John, but I don't know you," he said pointing at Janice.

"She's my wife, Janice," Don told him.

"There you go Bill, everyone's particulars on video. I'll go burn you a disc while you find out who these guys are."

"I'll do it, John," Janice said. "You may need to be here to help Javier to remember what he said and did."

John, Steve, Don, Lori, and Jack just smiled.

Chapter 6

For the next hour, Bill grilled Javier on who he was and what he was doing in the US and why he had come to coerce John and Millie. The three men were in suits, standing out in the hot sun. Everyone else except Bill and Carl had retreated to the shade in the garage.

"Sheriff you don't seem to understand..."

"Oh I understand Mister Mendoza, I understand completely. Carl, call Bruno, have this POS limo towed to the office. Then help me take these three to the jailhouse."

"Sure thing Sheriff. Can I have the smart one?"

"No, I think I better take him, Carl."

"Okay, sir. You two, up you get," Carl yelled at them pulling his collapsible baton from its holster on his belt and flicking it open.

"Carl, I don't want to see any bruises on them when we get to the office."

"You won't Sheriff, the bruises won't start to show for a couple of days," Carl said smiling evilly at the two Federales in front of him. "Now git over to my cruiser."

When Javier was in the back of Bill's car, Bill came over to John in the garage.

"Ah...is this the next generation fixer-upper?" Bill asked stopping to stare at the parts strewn all over the garage floor.

"Yep, '66 Chevy Nova II."

"Okay, great. I'm going to take these guys to lock up. They will be out in a matter of hours if what Javier says is true and he does have diplomatic immunity. And if he does, the two with him probably do too, so watch yourselves."

"Will do Bill, will do."

"I really don't think they will be back after seeing not only the firepower you have here, but the fact that you are all LEO's will probably deter them from coming. But, I wouldn't put it past them to hire some scum from below the border to wander over this way without telling them about who you all are."

"Thanks, Bill, we'll be on the lookout for them or others like them. We do have quite a collection of LEO's here and a number of firearms to defend ourselves with."

"Yes, you do. Do you still have that Browning Hi-Power..."

"I do and it's still not for sale," John said, laughing at Bill. "Sorry."

"Well if you ever..."

"I'll let you know. Thanks again, Bill."

"See you, tell Millie I said Hi."

"Will do."

John watched Bill walk to his car and back out the drive. Carl was waiting for him out on the road. They both pulled away heading back to the Sheriff's office.

"Well, that was exciting," Don said slapping John on the shoulder.

"That it was," John replied.

"I was thinking. If things are that bad here..."

"This was the first time any of those crossing the border..."

"Okay, but still...I have a few friends who have just been itching to take a vacation here. If you get my drift?"

"Uh, what are we talking?"

"Two fire teams of Air Force special ops. They bring their own equipment and buy their own food. They have two RV's that would fit nicely in that pasture over yonder."

"I don't know. I don't want to start a war or have Bill get his nose out of joint..."

"You let me worry about Bill," Don said winking at John. "As for the war, well they started that a long time ago."

"I would also hate for your men to get into trouble over this..."

"They won't."

"Don...do whatever you think is best, but you will only be here thirty days. After you leave, it's just Millie and me. And these cartel guys have long memories."

"I see your point. Okay, just for protection. No offensive work. Only defensive."

"I think I can handle that."

"I'll even throw in some upgrades to your defensive systems here, keep the bad guys at bay. This door, the front door, these windows, could all be a bit stronger."

"Don?"

"Don't worry, don't worry. That crew can be here tomorrow. The security detail will take a little longer. I need to make some phone calls."

Just then, another car pulled into the drive. John looked at the strange car, then smiled as he saw his father-in-law driving. Both he and Carol, Millie's mom were looking behind them as the car slowly rolled up the drive. Hank stopped the car just in front of the back door. John stood there smiling as he opened the door for Carol. She flowed into his arms and gave him a big hug.

"I have missed you oh so much," she whispered, squeezing him.

"I've missed you to Mom," John said squeezing her back.

Stepping back, John turned and took Hank's offered hand.

"So what's with all the cops?" Hank asked.

"Oh, we had some unwelcome visitors," John told him.

"Again?" Carol croaked.

"Not the same as last week. Millie's at work and the rest of the girls are in the house."

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

"So this lawyer fellow just wanders in and brings two thugs with to buy you or threaten you to lay off charging the three thugs who broke into your house and tried to rape Millie?" Hank asked incredulously.

"He did. And got hauled off to jail for his trouble. Of course, he's out by now and on his way back to Mexico. Diplomatic Immunity, so he says."

"I checked on that," Lori said. "He does, but it was limited to this one visit to the states. Assistant Attaché to the Ambassador. Once he gets back to Mexico, he's nothing but an ambulance-chasing lawyer. The two thugs with him were also Special Attachés for just this trip. Someone has some pull, but not too much or he would have had permanent immunity. My contacts will let me know if he enters the US again and if he has been granted Immunity by Mexico."

"Good to know, thanks, Lori," Don replied. "My friends will be here day after tomorrow. The construction crew will be here tomorrow. They'll hit the local stores for what they need. They will be bringing some specialty items with them."

"Hank, it might be advantageous if you stay here..."

"The office in the garage has its own bathroom dad. And we have that extra bed in storage out there we can set up..."

"Hank, I would hate to have you and Carol...bothered by..."

"I understand son. Millie, why don't you show me where that bed is. Is that garage air conditioned?"

"The office and bathroom is, dad," Millie answered laughing.

Don, Hank, and John went to the garage to set up the bed. The women cleared the table of the dinner dishes. Millie went upstairs to get linen for the bed in the garage. Her mom went with her.

"So are you really okay?" Carol asked.

"Mom, I'm fine. John got here before they could lay a hand on me."

"That must have been really frightening."

"It was. I have never been so scared in my entire life. At least until John got there."

"Did that lovely car actually blow up?"

"It did. From what John says it was on fire when he jumped out and kept rolling down the road as he was running up the driveway."

"Ah, so that was the burnt patch of woods we saw on the way in?"

"Yes. But we have a new fixer-upper in the garage. Would you like to see it?"

"You bet. Also where I'll be sleeping for the next week."

"It's nice out there mom, don't worry. The office is clean and hardly smells of motor oil, I swear." Millie was laughing as she led her skeptical mother to the garage.

Chapter 7

Hank pitched in the next morning with the work on the car. Hank was a mechanic of sorts. He worked on the heavy machinery at the factory he worked at in Chicago. He knew one end of a wrench from another and didn't mind getting dirty.

Carol on the hand was an office worker, well an executive at an insurance company in Chicago and didn't know what a wrench was. She helped out as best she could and got dirty in the process.

Two hours into the work, a large panel truck pulled into the drive. Don signaled them all to keep working as he went out to the truck. John followed, as did Rudy, curious to see who was here. Three strangers, well strangers to John and Rudy, piled out of the truck and greeted Don with loud shouting and back thumping. Rudy started to growl.

"Out," John said sternly. "Sit," he told Rudy. The dog listened to him. He was shocked but relieved.

"John, get over here, I want you to meet these guys."

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

The construction engineers started working immediately. By the end of the day, they had the clapboard siding around the windows and door pulled. Had replaced the door frame and door with brand new steel frames and a steel door that looked exactly like the old wooden door.

By the time dinner was ready, John and his brothers-in-law had the engine and transmission torn down soaking in the parts cleaner. They had the body and body panels in the media blaster all set for Janice and Lori to start stripping them. The replacement differential was stripped down and soaking in parts cleaner.

The four construction engineers wandered over as everyone broke for dinner to have a look at the progress on the car.

"So, you guys do this often?" Jeff the foreman asked.

"Not really?" John answered.

"Have you picked a color yet?" Bill asked looking in the media blaster room.

"I was thinking a deep metallic blue," John said.

"Yeah, that would look good, say with a white interior," Bill said nodding. "But you might want to go with a pearlescent white with a black interior. That way it would complement that Black '66 truck you have in the drive."

John didn't say anything, just looked at the truck out front and nodded absently.

"Okay you guys, it's dinner time. Go wash up and we'll head on down to the diner," Jeff said.

"Okay boss," Bill said turning and walking toward the wash-up sink in the back of the garage where his other two co-workers were busy cleaning up. Jeff was right behind him.

"White would look good on that car," he mumbled as he passed John.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

After dinner, the family gathered around the kitchen table and discussed what was happening in the world. As they all worked in different types of law enforcement, each had different information on what was going on. The conversation became heated at times. Not angry with each other but with what the administration was doing and why they were doing it.

About an hour into the conversation, the construction crew returned from their meal. They were going to sleep in a huge tent they had brought with them and pitch in the backyard next to the garage. They stopped at the back door and called goodnight to everyone. Finally, at around eleven at night the house settled down and everyone went to bed.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

The next morning, as the men were working on the house and the family, was working on the car, two RV's rumbled up the drive. They were a site. Fully camouflaged, they would disappear in the field if parked under the trees to the right. Don went running out to greet them as John ran to the gate to open it for them to pull into the field.

Don directed them back under the trees. When they were finally shut down, four men came clamoring out of each. The first man out greeted Don with a formal salute. Don returned the salute then the two embraced, clapping each other on the back in a comradely fashion. The rest greeted Don in the same manner. There were shouts of greeting and laughter as they all tried to catch up.

"John, get over here," Don shouted, waving his brother-in-law over to him.

John trotted up to the group. Don introduced him to the men. Each nodded as they after their introduction. First was First Lieutenant James Clark, next was Master Sergeant Ted Carlson, then in rapid order were, Staff Sergeant Juan Alvaraz, Sergeant Peter Scott, Sergeant Samuel Teller, Sergeant Carl Billings, Senior Airman Jack Hastings and finally, Airman First Class George Murphy.

As the introductions ended, Rudy came bounding across the field to say hello to what seemed like old friends of his. He went to each man, who bent and scratched him behind the ear. As each man said hello, his tongue lolled out his mouth more and more.

"They're all old friends," Don told John.

"Yes, I can see."

"All right you guys, get settled in, we'll have a briefing at sixteen hundred hours until then, get squared away. Shower in the garage. There are ladies present so do maintain proper decorum. Are we clear?" Don shouted the last.

"Yes sir," the group shouted in unison.

"Dismissed," Don shouted again.

The groups turned and started to get their RV's in order. Lowering awnings and pulling out sections. One pulled a long hose out of a storage compartment and eyed Don. John signaled him to follow as he led him to the spigot on the side of the garage. Then John went to the garage and fired up the other well pump, they were going to need a lot of water.

After a couple of hours, part of the group was lounging around between the two RV's. The others had been the last drivers and were inside sleeping. Two large electrical generators a fair distance from the RV's and fired up to provide electricity to the two RV's. The A/C was humming in each as John watched from the garage.

"They're a good group of men, they will be no trouble. They have their own provisions and they will be working most of the time. You'll hardly notice they are here," Don said standing next to John.

"I don't doubt you. It's just I have become accustomed to my solitude."

"Ah, yes, I see. Well, you won't see them after tonight, except when they come into rest. They will be cycling in and out of here by ones and twos, so, until this is done, they will be in the field so to speak, keeping watch, only coming in to take a break or back us up."

"It's that part, backing us up, that worries me."

"As I said, they are good men. I have two more teams just like them. Right now they are in Iraq. Very hush, hush."

Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,062 Followers