Calm Before The Storm Ch. 01

Story Info
An interlude of sorts, laying some groundwork.
11.2k words
4.76
18k
12

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 05/19/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

*****

Part 1 - A New Life

Author's note: this story could be called 'Interlude'; it's just a bridge between the last set of stories and what will be the final push to the confrontation with the Consultant of Crime. Your patience is appreciated.

Friday, November 27th, 4:30am. Your Iron Crowbar, who took charge and commanded people through a deadly and harrowing rescue of an Assistant District Attorney, who took charge and did not flinch in the face of the political pressure of dealing with the CEO of one of the biggest, most powerful companies in the world... was now reduced to a nervous, stressed-out, unthinking, babbling man who was walking around like a chicken with his head cut off.

The reason was plain and simple: my son was in the process of being born.

"Sit down, son, sit down!" ordered my mother Phyllis as we sat in the waiting room. "Your pacing around is not going to make that baby come out any faster."

"I know, I know," I said, "but I can't help it."

"Well, why don't you sit down and tell me how you solved that BigPharmaCorp case." said my mother. "And tell me how my prodigal daughter is involved?"

"Not here." I said, very aware that this hospital waiting room was not exactly a private place of security. "Besides, Mom, you were at the explanation yesterday."

"True." said my mother. "I'm just trying to distract you. But I don't think Elizabeth was behind everything that happened."

"She wasn't." I replied. "This was a rare case that proved that coincidences can happen. The Douglases in the apartment, the refined drug in their possession when we raided them, Elizabeth's involvement in that, Dr. Grayson's affair with Emma, Emma's tablet with the Consultant on it leading to the home invasion, and then Dr. Cubbard and Dr. Wilkins..."

"Are you sure they're really that coincidental?" asked my mother. I stopped and peered at her.

"Well, we could play 'six degrees of separation'," I said, "but the Douglases in the very apartment where Jack Burke had lived... that had to be a coincidence. Then Elizabeth using the Douglases to secure that material, and we happen to bust them... another coincidence. Then the home invasion..." I paused then added, "So, Mycroft, unless you know something I don't, I do think Dame Agatha Christie's rule has found an exception."

"Well, dear," said my mother, "you should prepare for more coincidences. Have you given thought to whom the father of Emma Washburn's baby was, the one she aborted?"

"Not really." I said. "It wasn't her husband's. It could've been Grayson's, or the Consultant's... or any number of men Emma was dating that I've been too busy to try to discover." After another pause, I said "That's something you've always talked about, Mom. You think it's important. Why?"

"Well, I may be overstating its importance." said my mother. "But it is less important to know who the father is, than who thought that he was the father."

I nodded, thinking about that. And then, something else hit me... I'd texted Cindy and tried to call her hours ago. Where was she?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I don't know, Father." said Cindy. "Jenna's... changed. At least to me. At least towards me. Did you notice anything?"

"Well, my dear," said Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart in his gravelly voice, "I have not had that much exposure to her, which I would need in order to see changes. But I do think she is very strong, mentally, and has been putting her ordeal behind her very effectively. Of course I'm no psychiatrist, so I would defer to the lovely Dr. Fredricson on diagnoses of that nature."

It was the wee hours of Friday morning, November 27th. Cindy and her father were sitting on one of the sofas in his office. Jenna, Teresa and Todd were in rooms in the dorm building that Dr. Eckhart had made available to them. While Todd and Teresa were making love in their little room, fucking each other with the raw, physical desires of their healthy, fit, well-matched bodies, Cindy had not felt like sleeping; indeed, she and her father had spent hours in his office room discussing many things from the philosophical to the practical. And then about Jenna.

"Let me ask you something, my dear." said Eckhart. "After your excellent Police Force rescued Jenna, I would imagine that you wanted to hold her in your arms, and do whatever you could to comfort her, heal her, and help her get over the savage acts of brutality inflicted upon her, is that not right?"

"Well... yes, of course." Cindy said, not understanding where her father was going with this.

"And Jenna has, on occasion, rejected your comforting," said Eckhart, "preferring to pretend to show strength by acting as if she does not need your help. And you feel confused... after all, you are only trying to help this woman that you love."

"Yesssss," Cindy whispered. "that... yes, that's true."

Dr. Eckhart smiled briefly, then said "And now, you're thinking that you need to give Jenna her space, and let her come to grips with this in her own way, and let her carry forward with her life."

"You're reading my mind." Cindy said. "Again."

Dr. Eckhart chuckled. "No, my dear, but I've seen the pattern all too many times. Like your cousin, the Iron Crowbar. I will bet that he spends hours reading every criminal investigation that he can, so that when he comes across it, he already has an idea of what to do and how to proceed."

"I would not be surprised at that." Cindy said.

"And that is why you must trust me when I tell you that you must not back off, that you must continue to show young Jenna your support and love," said Eckhart, "... and that you must get Jenna into treatment with Dr. Fredricson as soon as possible. Even tomorrow-- I mean today, if possible."

Cindy gasped, but as she was about to ask why, Teresa came flying into the room.

"Excuse me for bothering you." Teresa said. "Cindy, do you not have your phone with you?"

"Uh, it's in my purse." she said. She got her purse off the table and fished it out. "Oh, crap, the battery went dead; I forgot to charge it."

"You can do that in the car on the way to the Hospital." Teresa said, handing Cindy her phone. The text message from the Commander said "Find Cindy. Molly having her baby."

"Oh my God!" Cindy gasped. "Father, Molly went into labor! I've got to get back up there..." She began acting like the baby's father; the proverbial chicken with her head cut off. Teresa interceded.

"Calm down. I'm driving you up there." she said. "Jenna and Todd are waiting downstairs. Let's go." With that, she led her platinum blonde friend to the elevator as everyone made their goodbyes...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Molly's doctor, who also happened to be my wife Laura, appeared at the door of the waiting room. Her smile made me feel instantly better.

"Congratulations!" Laura said. "He's a big boy, 7 pounds 10 ounces. But he's healthy, and mother and son are doing well."

"Can I go see them?" I asked.

"Of course." Laura said. I did not wait, but practically flew down the hallway, not noticing that Cindy, Teresa, Jenna and Todd were just getting off the elevator.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

They hadn't even put any clothing or a diaper on him yet, as they were getting all those birth stats and checking him out. Molly was exhausted but smiling happily, and her eyes lit up when she saw me come in.

"He's a big boy, Commander." said Nurse Jones, the lovely black nurse that Laura had made a point to bring in to assist. "Big lungs, too." The baby had started crying as a thermometer was placed under his armpit, between his chest and tiny arm; this was typical. As soon as the temperature was read and the thermometer removed, he stopped crying and settled down.

Nurse Jones handed him to me. I could hardly believe that this was a little human being, so tiny and light did he feel in my hands. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I felt gratitude that he was healthy... and that he was mine. No amount of practice, of having two boys already, could dull the feeling: I had another son, and nothing on earth could match that feeling of meeting my new son for the very first time.

"Congratulations, daddy." said Molly. I bent over and kissed her.

"Congratulations, mommy." I replied. I then handed Molly the baby, settling him down on her belly so that they were 'face to face', as mother and son began to get to know each other.

"So what did you name him?" I asked.

"My grandfather's middle name is 'Ian'." said Molly. "So I named him 'Ian McDonald Troy'."

"Uh, 'McDonald'?" I asked.

"Well," Molly replied with a grin, "that precludes his first name being 'Ronald', doesn't it? But it's an old family name, in addition to being an offshoot of your middle name, so it'll work."

"Yes. Yes it will." I said. "I do like that 'Troy' part of it, too." Molly smiled. I kissed her forehead and whispered "Thank you."

"And thank you." she replied back.

The door opened, and in came Cindy, alone. Her ice blue eyes were already twinkling, and I saw them start to get shiny with tears as she caught sight of little Ian.

"Oh!" she said. "He's so beautiful." Molly gently picked him up and handed him to Cindy, who cradled him in her arms.

"Must be something in my eyes." Cindy said as a tear flowed down her cheek... matching my own tears.

"You're crying." I said directly. "Just like I am. And it's a happy cry. A very, very happy cry..."

Part 2 - Football Friday

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the television in the Hospital waiting room at 7:00am, Friday November 27th. Bettina was standing outside the gates of BigPharmaCorp as she gave her report.

"Channel Two News has learned that Dr. Thomas Cubbard has resigned as Interim Chief Executive Officer of BigPharmaCorp! The company is giving no details, but issued a statement that a search for a new CEO will begin immediately. In a related story, Dr. Cubbard will be making a Court appearance this morning, where he is expected to plead nolo contendere, or 'no contest', to both local and Federal charges stemming from an alleged theft of patented processes. The company has not been implicated nor will face any charges in this matter."

Bettina went on: "In other news, the Police have made an arrest in the death of Michael Campbell Fulton. Lou Stevens has been charged with voluntary manslaughter in the death of Fulton. Commander Donald Troy issued a statement commending Detective Martin Nash of the TCPD for bringing this case to a successful conclusion."

Bettina then got to the big news: "And tomorrow is the big game between the University's Bulldogs and the State Tech Engineers! Let's go to Chuck Pringle for the story! Chuck!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Chuck Pringle, reporting from State Tech. "The Bulldogs have endured a tough season, which saw the firing of Head Coach Russ Bronson after an historic defeat at the hands of the Wildcats by a 70-0 score. Interim Coach Groves has the Bulldogs playing at a much better level, but this game will not be easy, as State Tech is 5-6 and looking for their first non-losing season in years as well as a bowl game. The Bulldogs cannot hope for that, but a win over their in-State rivals, and gaining a measure of revenge for what happened to Nick Eastwood last year, would certainly end the year on a more positive note."

The newscast showed a split-screen, with Bettina on the left and Chuck on the right. Bettina asked "Chuck, can we expect a good, clean game tomorrow?"

Pringle seemed to chuckle sardonically. "Bettina, the Conference is deeply concerned about the situation. Both teams have been warned to show good sportsmanship, and there will be an increased number of security forces at State Tech today. No one really expects any big problems between the fans of the two Schools, but it may be a different story on the field."

"Thank you, Chuck!" said Bettina. Chuck was replaced on the screen by Nick Eastwood, who was covering the Wildcats-Purple Hawks game, which was being played at my alma mater. "We now go to Nick Eastwood, covering the huge matchup between the No. 1 Wildcats and their in-State rivals, the Purple Hawks of State U! Nick!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Nick. "State U. is 8-3 and fielding their best team in several years. But the undefeated Wildcats have the opportunity to do something very special, something they have never done: win a National Championship. With a win over their rivals, the Purple Hawks, followed by a win over the Tigers in the Conference title game, the Wildcats will have the opportunity to go for glory!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had to take myself away from the Hospital and my new child, and go to a place called 'work'. In reality, I never thought of my job as 'work', as it was challenging and rewarding, and never drudgery.

Chief Moynahan had gone to the Hospital to see Molly, and I knew their relationship was as close as mine had been with Chief Griswold while he had been my Chief with the Force. I passed out real cigars to all the Detectives and their Lieutenants. And then, to my surprise, Cindy came along behind me, passing out blue candy cigars.

When she came to my office, I said "If you want to stay at the Hospital with Molly, I'll fully understand."

"Right back atcha, Daddy." Cindy replied. "But right now Molly needs rest, and she has other visitors coming in, like the Chief and Lt. Masters. Frank Soltis is coming in from Westphalia, too."

"Yes, they were a special team together." I said. "Like what we're building here. Anyway, what about your parents?" I asked, knowing that when Ross was born, a bad family issue could come up.

"They're coming here, and I mean here, this Town, on December 23d, and will be here through the New Year." Cindy said, and I could see a gleam in her eyes. "They're actually going to let me introduce Jenna to them!"

"Good!" I said. "How about they stay at the Cabin while they're here, unless Molly is planning to host them?"

"Actually, I accept your offer." Cindy said. "Molly said you wanted her to stay at the Cabin for the rest of the year, and it would be great if our parents could stay there, too."

"Consider it a 'done deal', then." I said. "We'll be having the Christmas Eve dinner up there, and they can join us for that, as well. So... changing the subject, how was your evening with Uncle Harvey last night?"

"Good." Cindy said. "We got to talk about a lot of things, and he showed me the light on some of them. And that reminds me... I need to call your wife and arrange an appointment for her to see Jenna. My father suggested that, and in more than the strongest possible terms."

"Make it so, Number One." I replied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Darling," said my wife Laura, who was on the phone, "we've been invited to go with President Wellman to the State Tech game. Shall I tell him we're accepting his generous offer?"

"Uhhhh..." I said, "I'm not so sure about this one. With Molly just delivering Ian and still in the hospital, I think I should stay here, don't you? And of course, I'd personally rather watch the Wildcats game on television than go to the Bulldogs game this particular year..."

"I understand, darling." Laura said. "But Molly and Ian won't be coming home until Sunday at the earliest, and I have that on good authority from Molly's doctor." I chuckled, knowing that the woman I was speaking with on the phone was Molly's doctor.

Laura continued: "Also, Cindy can spend time with Molly while we're gone. The Wildcats game is nationally televised tomorrow night, and the Bulldogs game is at noon and will be over, and us back home, before the kickoff."

"Sounds like you have thought out everything, and that means you really want to go to this game. Is Nick going with us?" I asked.

"No, he's covering the Wildcats game." Laura said. "I'm sure you wouldn't mind changing places with him, and you be at that game while he spends a few hours fucking me, but we'll have to do that later."

"Okay, we'll go," I said, "but tell the Wellmans that I might have to cancel if there's any issues with Molly and the baby and I feel like I need to stay. By the way, did Cindy call about an appointment for Jenna?"

"Oh yes." Laura said. "And it'll be Monday at 2:00pm. By the way, why did Cindy sound so excited on the phone?"

"Oh, that." I said. "Her parents are coming from Canada and spending a couple of weeks here, and she is very excited that they're actually going to meet Jenna. I told Cindy to have them stay at the Cabin, by the way."

Part 3 - Revenge Served Hot

I spent most of Friday evening with Molly and baby Ian at the Hospital, as did Cindy and Laura. One thing I did was to have my mom bring Carole to the hospital, which surprised even Laura. I brought my daughter into the room to meet her new brother.

Carole was fascinated with her tiny brother, especially when I told her that Ian was her brother like Jim and Ross were her brothers. Though she was only two years old, I suspected that Carole would have a memory of this for the rest of her life. Indeed, years later a much older Carole would describe the hospital room accurately and tell of seeing her brother Ian for the first time.

We also got another surprise visitor: Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart. Ian was his great-nephew through either (or both) me and Cindy. I think the old man was very happy not only for the birth, but because he could publicly come and visit the birth of a relative... which he couldn't do so easily a year before, when Ross was born...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday, November 28th. Laura and I met the Wellmans and a contingent of University professors and their spouses at County Airport, and we took off in his sleek jet. The flight was not long: we'd barely taken off when we were beginning our descent to land. But I did get to talk to Dr. Wellman.

"That was a very interesting incident with BigPharmaCorp and Dr. Cubbard." Dr. Wellman said. "They've never been very... generous... about working with our University." By that he meant that BigPharmaCorp was not exactly generous with green dollar bills to the School. "They come correct with donations, but have always shunned opportunities to work with our Chemistry, Biology, and Pharmacy Departments."

"There may be a silver lining in that, which is benefitting you now." I said. "But I'd think they'd want to monitor the School for bright prospects and get them in, like they did with Dr. Grayson."

"Oh, they do that." said Wellman. "But they don't offer internships, which would be really good for our students."

"I can understand them not doing that." I said. "They're actually pretty paranoid about their research and processes. And this latest thing with Cubbard is only going to exacerbate that."

"So what really happened there, Commander?" Wellman asked, and I could feel his shrewd eyes studying me.

I told him what was publicly available to know: "Yesterday, he and his wife pled nolo contendere to local charges of Lying to Police and Obstruction of Justice, and the same to Federal charges of conspiracy to steal patented intellectual property, as well as filing an NDA based upon the stolen intellectual property. They're paying $250,000 out of their pockets, and receiving suspended ten-year sentences."