Can't Escape Your Nature

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now Dante looked at the weapons the memory of the man back at his school with the black knife was etched into his mind. Every weapon had an aspect of that stone here. Arrow heads, knife blades, swords, even the Morningstar had black stone spikes. The red sun made them glint blood red, turning slightly transparent. Dante was mesmerised. "Hellstone." Kage said as if it would bear some resemblance to Dante. "It's one of the best weapons materials around, and top secret. I think.... you will need knives, obviously." Kage wandered down the rows of weapons, carefully choosing several different sized knives. He came back and put them on the table in the centre of the room. The widest foot-long knife went at Dante's hip, the smallest kunai knives in his belt. Two long thin stiletto knives went down his back between his shoulder blades, about two feet long, a smaller one at his thigh. A couple more leaf-knifes slipped into pockets inside his boot.

"Ok, follow me. Stark, keep an eye on Hatake here."

"Yessir."

Kage turned and savagely burst through another door and into the streets. A few ladies shrieked and then quickly averted their eyes, hurrying away to do their business. Three horses were already tied down an alley next to the small, dark fortress-like building we had just emerged from. It didn't fit in at all with the sandy-coloured stone of other buildings and carefully cared for window boxes fixed to windows several stories high around us. Despite the height of most of the buildings, they didn't seem to crowd you in like would be expected. Dante liked it here. The air felt clean and fresh, and the calmness of an early summer morning was joyous.

Kage, Dante and Stark rode through the brightening streets at a trot, so the crowds parted like the red sea and then flooded back together in their wake. Dante kept constantly aware of what Kage was doing. The way he looked this way and that and seemed to leer at young ladies as they passed, smiling charmingly. When Kage abruptly slowed to a walk Dante went on high-alert. He watched Kage as he seemed to lock eyes with someone and his face darkened with hate. Dante searched the crowds and saw another man, dressed in black and with red throwing stars around his belt. He wore black gloves on his hands but the sleeves of his tunic were rolled up. Around his neck and mouth and nose he wore a red scarf, obscuring half of his face. His eyes lit in a malicious smile at Kage, who in turn forced his stare into a smile. He scared Dante. Kage continued to smile and gave the young, blonde-haired man a slow and deliberate salute of mockery. He nodded in return, then his eyes fixed onto Dante. Dante broke eye contact quickly and stepped his horse up into a trot through the streets after Kage who had sped off again. Behind him, Dante heard Stark say, "My lord," and then the sound of him following. Curious.

After a while the streets became wider, until the road was a beaten dust trail and only a few golden houses, ruins, fields and fences littered the village they now road through. There was less traffic too, and so Kage pushed his horse for a gentle lope. Looming ahead was a cliff, its face golden in the sun like that of the buildings that dominated the area. To either side of the road the cliff closed in, sheltering the town from the wind. Up ahead, the road became a small track that disappeared into a glade of trees, before appearing as a white zig-zag line up the face of the cliff until it reached the top, where a small tower and a cottage were isolated from the gentle buzzing of the now afternoon heat. "That is our destination." Kage said plainly, and then continued up the road.

From the top of the cliff the view was astounding. The city spread out like a tapestry below them within the confines of the cliff edge, and a few similar towers to the one Dante now stood below were placed around the mouth of the cliff, standing sentinel over the city. Beyond civilisation, golden sandy plains spread as far as the eye could see, only broken by a grey scar cut into the land. Some sort of road Dante supposed. The cottage here was small and humble next to the seemingly abandoned tower. Weeds and ivy grew up the tower face and many windows were boarded. It wasn't tall- only about four floors, but it was enough with the height advantage the cliff gave it. Across the dusty yard the three men had emerged onto was a small menagerie with two horses grazing lazily in the sun on hay. By the house were two goats picking at weeds, and around the yard area were a few scattered hard-wearing shrubs. Kage and Stark dismounted and took their horses to a post by the house to tie them.

"Put yours in the field there with the others." Kage commanded coldly as he strode off to the cottage. Stark was glaring at him while his back was turned. Dante released the horse and started towards Kage who, after failing to get a reply by knocking proceeded to kick the door down. With an impressive 360 spin on his toe and a lash out with his heel he sent the door almost flying off its hinges. He disappeared inside for a moment, and then reappeared carrying a slender young woman by her waist who was shouting a whole manner of curses at him. Obviously they knew eachother well, for Kage just smiled at her angry attempts to get out of his hold. He dropped her and was immediately attacked by the flighty woman, who spun quickly towards him with her fists ready, her brown glossy hair whirling with her. They fought blindingly quickly for about a minute, exchanging blows harmlessly until the young lady managed to fool Kage into punching too hard. She stepped out at the last second, and not meeting the resistance he expected, Kage pitched forwards with a curse. He managed to catch himself, but spun around again to a dagger touching his throat. He looked down at it and smiled, then leaned forwards against it, testing how far she would take it. He began to draw blood before she winced and put the little knife away.

"La'liel. How lovely to see you." Kage said, bowing deeply and professionally.

She tossed her head and batted her eyelids. She was beautiful, "Don't kick down my door next time. You know I hate it when you do that. Sir." She had an accent, but Dante couldn't place what it was. "What brings you here?"

"I want you to find out what weapons Hatake here can use effectively. He used to assassinate for The Guild but he quit after he murdered his own mother and father at 11. I gave him the serum to keep him around and he's already having withdrawal symptoms- his body can't bear not having the drug in his veins." Kage gestured to Dante's trembling hands. He clutched them behind his back and scowled, not daring to say anything that would betray the sorrow or fear he felt. Kage continued, "He's very adept with knives and silent killing methods, but not so much in battle. The Guild are the best assassins in the world, so it'll be good for us to have one on our side."

"I'm not on anyone's side." Dante snarled.

"Dante. This is Mistress La'liel. She's a mercenary and a skilled trained. You're going to be working with her for a few weeks."

Dante scowled more and looked at the Mistress. She was just a bit shorter than him, and as lean as a pike. He looked her up and down and took in the smooth curves of her waist and breast, somewhat disrespectfully, not hidden at all by the shorts and tight-cropped top she wore with an array of various scabbards and blades.

Either she didn't notice, or she was pretending not to, for she turned to Kage and said, "Where do I need to start?"

Kage smiled.

He started out with the long range weapons- crossbows, longbows and the likes. Dante's skill with a longbow was considerable, and by the end of the day he was able to hit a bullseye at 200 paces, though his fingers were bloody from the drawstring. Mistress La'liel was impressed. Kage and Stark had gone down into the city on business and so Dante was blessedly alone with La'liel when night began to fall. By then his entire arms were shaking violently from the drug. He couldn't hide it. Mistress made him follow her to the dining bench outside her cottage with the Aquerian longbow he'd been exceeding with, though now he could barely hold it. Dante put his head in his hands. He was exhausted and felt feint from the combination of the rigorous training and the drug finally leaving him in a state.

Dante didn't want to admit it, but he couldn't go on without it.

"He gave you a big dose, huh?" La'liel said softly.

He exhaled sharply, and that came out shaky too. Tears welled in his eyes. He looked away.

"Listen to me." She said, gently commanding Dante's attention. "Master Kage is a very, very dangerous man to get on the wrong side of. I'm begging you, don't try to kill him, because when you fail, he will make you suffer so much that you want to die. That drug is potent stuff, and he'll keep giving it to you- get you totally reliant on the shit and that'll be how he keeps you with him. Don't try to stop him giving it to you, because he will hurt you. All I ask is that you don't fall into its grasp. I want to give you the talent you need to beat him but I can't, that's up to you. And one more thing. Don't scream when he brands you; he likes it."

"Brands? What are--"

"Shh! He's back. Please, just do as he says." She looked worried.

Dante could hear voices penetrating the darkness now. Then they appeared from the little dirt track that wound its way up the cliff face. They both stood to greet them. Dante left the bow behind, not sure he'd be able to hold it. As he approached, Kage staggered sideways sharply into a deadly serious Stark. When Dante got closer he realised what was wrong with Kage. He was completely and utterly drunk. La'liel approached first, and curtseyed politely, carefully. "Sir," she said. Kage grunted and pulled her up into a rough kiss, his hands all over her. She looked disgusted, but accepting. She was used to this. Dante watched in complete and utter hatred and despair. As Kage went down to kiss her neck gently and slowly, his eyes locked on to Dante's. He slowed to a deliberate and mocking pace, his eyes laughing cruelly as he saw the hatred blossom in Dante's eyes and their natural darkness became a black pit. Kage's hand slipped down to her thigh and between her legs. The he stopped and looked down at her breasts intently. "Come on girl, show me what you've got." He took her by the wrist and pulled her to the cottage. He was stooped forwards with an uneven gait as he staggered determinedly to the house. Kage didn't even bother to shut the door, just pushed La'liel up against the wall opposite the door and started mounting his body against hers as he undressed her. Dante felt sick. They disappeared around the corner, and from there all Dante could hear were the occasional grunts and excited moans of Kage taking his pleasure from her. He didn't even care what they thought. He was too powerful and no one could do anything about it.

Dante turned away from the house and to Stark, trying to ignore the sounds of a weeping woman and flesh on flesh. He looked exhausted. In his hand he held a black-red dagger and was cleaning it on a hooded black cloak he wore over his black jacket and dark red scarf tight around his neck. Dante didn't bother trying to agitate him, "Sir?" he asked warily. Stark's bright green eyes shifted dangerously to Dante's from the dagger. "May I enquire as to where you have been?"

He sighed tiredly and then said, "All you need to know is that Kage's job went very, very wrong, and that you will have to face Kage in a very bad mood tomorrow." He looked haunted. More sounds of crying burst from the cottage, but this time it wasn't La'liel. Kage was crying, hard.

"I'm taking you back to your cell," he Stark said sharply, grabbing Dante by the upper arm and shoving him through the menagerie gate---

---and into the sterile corridors of the complex.

Dante was gasping for breath with shock at how that had happened. It was like walking through a normal door from one room to another, except it was from one time and place to another. Stark dragged Dante through the corridors expertly, and to his cell. The guards around the cell perimeter were back, all armed with assault rifles. This time Dante managed to stay on his feet as he was thrown into his cell. Stark slammed the barred gate and left, the lights around the cell switching off in quick succession. Dante removed all his knives and then found himself drifting off to sleep with the absence of the serum in his blood, and drifting away from the horrible withdrawal symptoms, disturbing thoughts and cold.

Dante woke of his own accord and sat relishing the silent darkness for as long as he could. About an hour later the lights switched on and Kage came striding in, looking black. Dante stood immediately and followed him with his eyes. Stark followed a moment later, also looking angry, but suppressing it as well as he could. Kage shoved his way through the cell door with a clang and came right up to Dante, who tried not to flinch.

"Stark," Kage snapped, "get the branding equipment."

Dante's stomach did somersaults. He didn't know how to react. Don't scream. He likes it. Dante did his best to look unflustered and squared up to Kage, looking him right in the eye. "Give me your wrist." Kage commanded, not breaking eye contact. Dante broke eye contact and watched in dismay as Kage pulled another syringe out of his pocket. As much as he hated it, Dante found himself yearning for it. He forced himself to look away as Kage found the old, tender wound from a couple of days ago and stuck the needle right in. He screwed his eyes shut tighter and held his face in his free hand to try to take his mind off the pain, shuddering. Then it was over and he felt the blessed ecstasy take him. Dante panted a couple of breaths as his heart rate soared and then he fell back against the bars of the cage, exhausted. It felt incredible. His hands slowly stopped their shaking and he felt in equilibrium again. Kage was smiling cruelly, and they both knew that this was what bound Dante to him now.

Stark returned carrying a leather roll in his arms. He put it at Kage's feet and rolled it out, revealing a multitude of iron bars and brands that Kage owned. Kage took one out and waved it Dante's face, looking bored but sadistic at the same time. "This one," he swallowed, "is what I use on badly behaved visitors, and this one here," he lifted out another one that had an emblem on the end, "this one is yours." Dante tried to focus on it as Kage waved it about, but couldn't. Now he gestured at the whole lot. "As I decide, you'll be moved up through the ranks, and you'll get a new marking." Dante hid his fear well.

"Stark, get him down." Kage ordered. Stark came forwards and grabbed Dante by the collar. He pitched forwards and stumbled. Stark kicked the back of his knee and his leg buckled. Dante went down heavily, the wind being knocked from his lungs. Before he could recover, Stark was on top of him, all his weight put on his knee that was dug painfully into his back. Dante gritted his teeth and forced himself to put up with it. He could hear Kage's footsteps coming up behind him. "There." He said, and Dante felt a finger fall on the left side of his neck. Dante cringed. It was going to hurt. "I want those Syndicate bastards to know to whom he belongs."

Dante's shirt was pulled aside and he heard Kage murmur something, followed by a whoosh as a blast of heat rolled over him. He was using magic to heat the brand. Stark forced Dante's head to the side and sudden warmth caressed his neck. "Ready?" Kage said to Stark. In response he put yet more weight onto Dante's back and twisted his neck further, forcing him still with an iron grip.

It was cold at first. Freezing- Dante felt no pain, just a heavy pressure on his neck and the cold, making him gasp. Then, almost in mockery it burned hot. Dante balked and thrashed as the pain exceeded any he could bear, but Stark held down fast, only putting more weight on his already screaming back. Time seemed to slow, and he somehow managed to think of Mistress La'liel's words. Don't scream. Dante shut his mouth and bit his lip to try and stop the whimpers and gasps that escaped his mouth. Tears streamed down his face.

Kage peeled the brand from his skin and Dante forced himself to stillness, closing his eyes against the world. Stark released him, but he didn't get up. Dante opened his eyes at the sound of Kage's voice by his ear, whispering softly. "Now, lad. You did good. Well done. Not too bad, hey? That's the way." He pulled Dante upright so he was kneeling on the floor, swaying. "Good lad, here we go, this'll make it better." He soothed as he wrapped a treated bandage around Dante's neck. "The serum will heal you up nice and quickly. It'll be over soon."

Dante took a deep, painful breath, "With all due respect, fuck off. Sir."

Kage froze, a strange expression on his face. Stark strode forwards, but Kage stopped him with a hand. Then he got up and left, commanding Stark to follow. Dante was plunged into darkness and left.

The next morning, Stark came alone into Dante's cell and pushed him to his feet to take him to training. The skin on the side of his neck felt stiff and rubbery under the bandage, and stung like hell with any movement. Kage's serum wasn't working fast enough for him. As they walked, Stark seemed to become rougher and rougher in his handling of Dante, like he was taking out some pent up fury on him. It reached a point where Stark's hand was around Dante's neck, grasping the tender wound on his neck. Dante tried desperately to put up with it, but ended up kicking off. He turned the wrong way abruptly at an intersection in the corridors so Stark's grip slipped free. Dante rounded on him.

"What the fuck is your problem, you shite?! You treat me like I'm a fucking dog you can drag wherever you want and I won't do a fucking thing!" Dante rubbed his sore neck. He temper was soaring, and he wasn't about to let it go. He hadn't slept, of course, because of the serum and he had had to put up with the pain of the brand all night. Kage's absence made Dante overstep his mark a little. Stark stared at him in horror, and then his eyes flashed dangerously. He went to grab Dante by the neck again and slam him against the wall, but he dropped into a low stance Mistress La'liel had taught him to use if he were attacked while using a longbow. His anger was still building, "Don't touch my neck you bastard!" He shrieked. "Don't even touch me!"

Stark took a step back and smiled knowingly. He rubbed the side of his neck and his eyes went sad.

"It hurts, doesn't it?" Stark said softly. He untied the dark red scarf he always had on concealing his neck and turned his head to one side. He had a brand, too. Dante gaped at him. "Follow me." Stark said, and turned down a corridor Dante had never seen. It was dark and musty-smelling. He floor was mould-stained wood and an old moth-eaten red carpet lined the middle of the floor. The walls were once red, but the wallpaper was peeled to reveal brown-splotched plaster walls and wooden panels. At one point on the wall beside a beaten up old door was a big dark red bloodstain. The blood was flaking off the wall with age, but it still looked relatively new. Stark entered the door, and it rattled unhappily on its hinges. His quarters were dilapidated and dark. A wardrobe, an old wing-backed chair, a writing desk and a glass cabinet full of the serum injections, whiskey and other drugs and herbs were placed around the small room. On the far wall there was a multitude of various weapons hung. A crossbow, longbow, knives, daggers, swords, you name it. There were no windows or a fire. Only a lamp nest to the chair cast a yellow glow across the room. "The doors in the corridor are to my current mission locations. When I've carried out a contract, the door is replaced by Workers and I follow that one through too." Dante turned to Stark. He stood bare-chested. His skin was a lattice of scars, big and small. They were everywhere, and many of them looked very, very deliberate. He didn't quite know where to look. He turned to one side and showed his brands. He had six down his arm. He'd been through it six times. "It hurts a lot."

123456...9