Can't Fight Time Ch. 08

Story Info
Nina and Grim are back!
3.8k words
4.77
9.2k
4

Part 8 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 06/14/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sensanin
sensanin
535 Followers

Hey Everyone!

So, if you haven't guessed already, I'm kind of just posting these as fast as I can in preparation for the next book! I'm really excited about it! If you have feedback for me, please comment of message me! It'll definitely help me as I write Can't Fight Fate! Hope you enjoy!

-Rosi

***

Grim pressed his seal into the last envelope and leaned back in his chair, stretching his body in an entirely too human gesture.Guess I was there too long,Grim thought as he smiled and flexed his hands, watching the skin draw back against the bone and blood rush through the veins in a parody of a human body.

"Mictlantecuhtli!" Grim heard his mother screech, rattling as she entered his study with a flurry of black cloth and ivory bones. "I don't know why you insist on wearing that form when you have already shed. It disgraces your lineage to wear the guise of a human," she said with a scathing, haughty air, scythe trailing after her form as she rounded on him.

Fog enfolded Grim once again as he resumed his skull-and-bones look, the epitome of a Grim Reaper. "And that fog! It's so annoying. I wish you would stop using it. It's not as if we all haven't seen you transform," she snapped loudly, shaking her head as she gathered up the cards in front of him.

Just because you're used to it doesn't mean that I am!Grim wanted to snap back at his mother, but wisely kept his bones quiet and his power firmly in check. Fighting with his harridan mother had never helped either of them. The only thing that helped was his extended absence from her presence.

Despite the fact that he took control of the council, Grim knew it was easier just to give his mother what she wanted. Besides, using his power to silence her would only result in pain for him afterwards. Grim was many things, but a fool was not one of them.

Even now, the council was putting his plan into action, utilizing the resources he had given them, and working for the good of the people and not just themselves. Weeks had passed easily, the council more responsive to his concerns. Even the PeaceKeepers and Watchers were starting to follow suit and report directly to him with any queries or concerns they had. Everything was falling into place, and there was no better example of that than in his own home.

Even now, talk of the coming succession and marriage were abuzz in the castle walls. The words still taunted him with a life he did not want, but it did not grate as severely as it had in the past. Grim understood that all kings were forced to endure things that they did not want, forced to live by the people's will alone.

But a part of Grim, the childish part he couldn't quite contain, wanted to scream and rant and beg for a different outcome. He would have to live for centuries with a woman he did not want, one he did not love, and whose kingdom he even suspected or murder. But he knew he would not find compassion in his home, not is the words that had been said to him for the last few hundred years still reigned true.It's a political alliance, a truce of mutually assured destruction to both the Castoffs and the Bloodspurns. It is a necessary evil.

"Stop looking so grim, Mictlantecuhtli," his mother hissed at him, shuffling through the envelopes to make sure he had sealed each one.

Of course, the irony of her statement wasn't lost on him.Grim Reapers being grim; there's a pun in there somewhere,he thought, pushing back from his desk and rising. "I apologize, Mother, if I am not ecstatic about signing over my future happiness to a child I've never even met."

There was a harsh pause in the room, a length of time when both mother and son wondered who would break the tension, and whether by doing so they might do more harm than good. A sudden whistle of air in the castle's portal room alerted them to an arrival. The power that followed it let them know who it was.

"Damn that child! This is entirely your fault, Mictlantecuhtli! Going to the human world to play and relax—you are inciting a rebellion of my sons!"

Grim rolled his eyes and suppressed his obnoxious sigh.Apparently I'm not her son anymore.

"Mother, stop being so dramatic," Grim nearly growled, the sound of his birth name starting to grate at his nerves. Only she ever called him that, and it was only because she'd raised him.

"What Uri does on his own is his business. I have no control over his choices."

The sound of a heartbeat forestalled the other unkind things he was about to say. No one in their kingdom had a heartbeat; the last human-reaper child had died and begun shedding centuries ago. The only possible explanation was—

"Human!" his mother scream as she streaked out of his study, a cloud of black and gray.

Grim was right behind her, praying he was wrong, hoping that Uri hadn't done what he thought he'd done and signed a temporary contract with a human. But then, what did he expect? Uri did whatever he wanted and damned the consequences, because many times there were none!

"Uriel," Grim whispered harshly, speeding down the corridor to the portal Uri had just come out of.

"Come on, guys. You can't do anything; it's already been—Oh! Hey, Mom. And hello—" Grim heard Uri begin casually, a laughing note in his tone that made Grim lash out with his power and start to choke Uri.

"Uri!" The husky voice he had been craving for a chance to hear once more screamed, dropping to her knees beside his brother as Grim continued to choke the life out of him. "Stop it!"

"Mictlantecuhtli, don't be childish," his mother chastised, her bones rattling with indignation.

A dozen guards surrounded Uri and Nina, forming a semicircle around the—if Grim had currently had a tongue he would have bitten it off with the next word—couple. Anger, betrayal, and fear clawed through the remnants of his body, whipping his power into a frenzy he could barely control.

Uri had taken Nina from him, signed a temporary contract with her, and for what? For the glory of rubbing it in his face? Another pawn in the game of 'who wants to be the next Bloodspurn king'?

"You have committed a grave offense, Uriel. By bring a human here you have broken one of our most sacred laws." Grim's voice sounded cold, harsh, and forbidding even to his own ears. "You know what the punishment must be."

Beside him, Grim's mother moved to speak but he raised a hand to silence her. He would be the king in a matter of weeks; in this arena she had no power, and it was best she learn that quickly. "Step aside," Grim commanded, watching his guards lower their eyes and bow their heads as they moved away.

Seeing Nina, arms wrapped around Uri as he slowly began to breathe again, made Grim want to stop what he was doing. To stop everything, wrap her in his arms, and tell her everything was going to be okay. To assure her that she was safe. But he couldn't, he wouldn't.

As if he was unclenching his fingers, Grim pulled back his power, allowing Uri to breathe freely. He drew back his hurt and his rage, until the power was once again curved around him, coiled tight.

Grim measured his steps carefully until he was only a few paces away from Nina and Uri, his scythe a deadly promise at his side. Looking down at them, he listened for the slow beat of Nina's heart, barely there.

"Uriel of the Bloodspurn line," Grim began formally, making sure everyone in the room could feel his power stroking over them like a harsh caress. He leaned over them until neither of them could see past him. "Together with the human, nullify your contract and accept your punishment."

Uri was scared, obviously not expecting this kind of reception, even if he had broken the law. What puzzled Grim the most, was that Nina didn't seem frightened or scared; in fact, her heartbeat hadn't sped up once.

"Human," Grim addressed Nina, trying to scare her into submission.She has to die.

"My name is Nina Marie Strathmore," Nina said slowly, her voice gaining in strength as she turned her face up to his. "I have been through"— her voice rose as she moved away from Uri and picked herself up— "Hell and back! And I don't give a flying horseshit what law Uri has broken, because he saved my life!" she screamed, advancing towards Grim with a pointed finger, her body shaking.

"So I don't care that you don't want me here, because F.Y.I, I don't even want to be here. I just want to be able to have a few more days where I don't have to worry about being tracked down and killed by my father." Nina walked him back until he felt the wall press against him. "So can you please take that righteous high-and-mighty attitude and shove it!"

"How dare that insolent, little—" Grim's mother began.

Nina whipped her head around to glare seething hatred at his mother. "Will you shut up!"

The feeling began in his ribs, slowly spreading up until it engulfed him. Grim found himself laughing, his bones rattling wildly as he clutched at his side, bent over and laughed. The guards paused before following suit, and soon the whole room was laughing except for his mother and Nina, who were glaring at each other.

"Enough!" Grim boomed, laugher still rattling through his bones. "The contract can't be nullified unless both parties accept, and the human does seem willing."

Grim came close to Nina and trailed a bony finger down her cheek. He was impressed by her bravery as she stood her ground, refusing to flinch away. She truly was the most interesting human he'd ever come across.And the most beautiful woman I've ever seen,he added mentally as he leaned forward until they were only a breath apart.

"Welcome to your temporary, new home,Amica." Grim watched a flare of recognition light Nina's eyes before she lowered her lids and tossed her head away.

Does she recognize me?Grim wondered as he watched Nina go back to Uri and help him up.

"Thank you..." her soft voice trail off, obviously waiting for his name.

Nina didn't know Grim's title; all she knew was that he was a royal. She didn't even know his birth name; he didn't tell it to many people or even like it when people used it. But he still didn't want Nina to find out who he was just yet. She was in contract with Uri, and he had to remember that.

"Heir Apparent to the Bloodspurn Kingdom, Mictlantecuhtli Jallgrímur Bloodspurn; you may call me Highness," he added, just to needle her.

A tiny line marred Nina's brow, but it was quickly replaced by a sardonic twist of her lips. Grim wondered if he had even seen the confusion on her face or if it had been a trick of the light. "Thanks, Mickey."

Grim smiled, as much as he could as a skeleton, and waved his hands to dismiss the guards. "Come, Mother." Grim turned to leave, not sure if he was doing the right thing by letting Nina continue to stay or the wrong thing by not letting her die. He didn't know.

"But Mictlantecuhtli—" his mother began to whine.

Grim's temper flared, and he snapped at her: "It wasn't a request."

Beginning to walk away, Grim paused and looked back over his shoulder. "Enjoy your stay, Ms. Strathmore."

***

"Uri?" Nina asked as they walked to his rooms, where she would be staying. Well, the room adjacent to his, because she had already mentioned about a thousand times that there was no way they were sleeping together, no matter how many years of practice Uri said he had.

"Yeah?" He tucked into his back pockets as he nodded at yet another guard they passed. The guards barely even glanced at her, and if they did, it was a glare.This place has to have more security than the Pentagon,Nina thought.

"What does 'Amica' mean?" The question had been bugging her after the scary-as-all-get-out reaper had called her it, because Grim called her Amica too. She would have thought it was a reaper thing, but so far Uri hadn't used it at all, which confused the hell out of Nina.

"It's an endearment, like sweetheart or darling." Uri wagged his eyebrows at her. "Why? Someone call you that?"

Nina smiled and rolled her eyes, ignoring the information he was oh-so-subtly fishing for. "Where's it from?"

She watched him shrug and lead her down another hallway.God, this place is big! I swear I just walked a mile!"Attic Greek. The language died long ago, but certain reapers like to hold on to the past."

Nina nodded as she walked down the corridor and thought more of the reaper who had called her 'Amica.'Could he have been Grim's friend? The—guy?—seemed like a dick, but maybe they know each—

All at once memories started to flood into her head, tearing into her mind like bullets.

The morgue is sterile. Silver doors line one wall. The floors are white, surprisingly clean for a place where murder victims came and had their body's torn open. I'm trying to focus on everything and nothing; the body on the silver slab covered by a white sheet is calling to me.

"Leave! Get the fuck out!" I'm screaming at the coroner. I think I'm crying.

I finally look at the body, but I've been looking at her this entire time. My vision blurs, overwhelmed by tears. I swipe at them angrily.

"Why is she smiling if she'd dead?" I ask angrily.

"Not again!" Nina moaned, leaning against the stone wall for support as her breathing started to hitch with panic.

"Nina? What's wrong? Does your head still hurt? Are you still hungry?" Uri's voice was fast and urgent, but the memories were too vivid, too alive, and they forced their way back into her mind.

My father's gone, along with the coroner. The room's empty and cold. It's just me and my mother's body. I think I see her smile widen.

I know I'm losing my mind.

"Ugh!" Nina choked, the emotions spilling out of her as she became to shake, tears racing down her cheeks.

"What's wrong with her?" Nina heard someone ask above her.

Stay here! Don't go back!Her subconscious screamed at her.I'm trying!She screamed back, turning her head to focus on Uri's blurry form. Nina could swear that there was a black shadow behind Uri, but then she was pulled back.

The world blurs again, and I have an instant headache. I massage my temples; the need to scream and cry and rage is riding me hard.

"Nina..." I snap my eyes open and look at the corpse. I can only see her head and the tops of her shoulders. Her creamy mocha skin is pulled tight and looks pale. I can see her collar bone.

I focus my eyes on her face, looking for any flicker of movement. Maybe she's not dead?

I look at her lips, tinged blue, and her cheekbones look like knives trying to come out of her skin. The hair I used to play with as a child, used to braid, looks like dark brown straw, like it could fall out at any second.

"Nina..." I hear the whisper again, stronger this time, maybe a little bit irritated. I take a step back; my eyes are focused on her closed eyelids. Just a flicker, I tell myself. Just a—

"Nina!" Uri yelled, shaking her violently until Nina felt her head bang against the brick wall.

Nina looked at Uri as her vision began to clear.Oh shit!A dozen or so people were gathered around them.Crap, I look like a nutcase!

"I'm fine Uri. Just—" she started, shaking off his hands as she pulled herself to her feet. Nina ignored the shaking of her legs and swiped at her eyes.

The visions were coming closer together, but they still didn't have any rhythm. It seemed Nina wasn't safe from the memories even in another world. Whatever messages were in the vision, desperately wanted to be discovered.

"You are not fine!" Uri snapped at her, his voice holding a slight tremor of worry.

Nina opened her mouth to argue, but a sudden thought occurred to her.Why do I need to lie?She was already almost-dead, already in the Underworld, already aware that her life for the next couple of months was going to be a joke. So then what was the point of saying she was fine when she wasn't—hadn't been—since her mother passed away.

No, she was murdered by my father;Nina reminded herself, looking up at Uri as he all but wrung his hands. If she was honest with herself, she hadn't been fine since the morgue, and in the last 48 hours "not fine" didn't even begin to compare to her shit-tacular life.

"I'm not—" Nina reached out to clutch at Uri. The truth was ripped from her soul as she allowed herself to rely on someone. "I'm not fine!"

Uri gathered her close, stroking her hair as she clung onto him, too numb to even cry. Again there was that surge of heat, except this was different. Uri's heat didn't burn her as Grim's; it warmed her like brandy, like a friend on a dark night.

"I'm not fine," Nina whispered into Uri's shirt as she heard the shuffle of retreating footsteps, and slowly realized they were alone once again.

"I know, Nina," Uri soothed, rubbing her back in large comforting circles. "I know."

It was a few more moments before Nina was able to release her death-grip on Uri's shirt and slowly step away; neither of them spoke as Uri turned and placed a comforting arm around her.

But it's different.And it was. Uri's embrace was warm and inviting, but Grim's? Nina shook her head as a feeling of power ran over her senses like a thousand tongue-strokes. Shivering, Nina tried to ignore the throb between her legs and the longing in her heart... longing for a reaper who would have let her die.

***

Uri swirled the amber liquid in his glass and sighed appreciatively. "Still the smoothest scotch I've tasted."

Grim glowered at his brother, and balled his fists to keep from beating the living daylights out of him. Ten minutes ago Uri had strolled into his study, popped open his scotch, and started drinking. It was obvious he was waiting for Grim to give in and ask about Nina, but he would be waiting until the universe ended for that to happen.

What Grim had done in the human world had been stupid. Loneliness and empathy had driven him to talk with Nina, to share things he had never shared with anyone—to break the rules that kept him and his country together. Time away from her, dealing with the rash of murders, his impending succession and marriage, and all the political games had given Grim a chance to clear his head.

Humans and reapers weren't meant to be together. Grim understood that better than anyone, and even if Nina was just down the hall and in desperate need of a friend he wouldn't give in, he couldn't.

"Were you really going to let her die?" Uri finally asked as he took a sip of his drink and regarded Grim over the rim of his glass.

A flick of Grim's power sent the drink tumbling back and the liquid pouring down Uri's throat in a harsh burn. Coughing and hacking, Uri glared accusingly at his brother, trying to compose himself.

Crossing his legs, Grim leaned further back in his chair, not wanting Uri to see how much the question had upset him.Would I have let her die?He'd been thinking the same thing for a while now, the dark hollow of his study giving him no other choice than to reflect.

Grim turned to the fireplace, his eyes catching on a painting hanging there.Women, mothers, lovers, they were such complex creatures: they gave life, killed life, and left life kill them.

Grim thought back to Nina's mother's soul. From the moment he'd taken Adrienne's soul, Nina had never left his mind. The tragedy of her life had been the background music for his waking moments. But meeting her, talking with her, feeling the flare of attraction ignite in his bones had changed him. Before, he would have said that one human's death meant nothing in the grand scheme of things, but Nina wasn't just a nameless soul he'd come to collect.

"I should have never spoken to her." Harsh words whispered in a harsh tone.

There was little else Grim could say, or that he wanted to say. Of course, Uri was never one to let anything go. "But you did." Uri shrugged and reached for the decater to pour another drink. "You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, Brother. It never accomplishes anything."

sensanin
sensanin
535 Followers
12