Captured (In Love) Ch. 01

Story Info
A historical romance about a captured slave and owner's son.
1.8k words
4.19
20.9k
12

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/19/2022
Created 03/13/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
arcadia00
arcadia00
11 Followers

A/N.

So normally I would do more research while writing a story but since this is online and I'm not writing it as a midterm (smiles), I've been more lax. I apologize in advance if something is way off base or inaccurate. The prologue is a backdrop with not much dialogue. It picks up though. I promise.

*****

Light Heart

"Yes mother," Light Heart repeated again for what felt like the fifth time just that morning to her mothers interrogation before her usual walk into town. She knew her mother was even more worrisome because of the upcoming storm that was soon approaching and wouldn't have allowed her eldest daughter to travel into town alone without her if it weren't for her growing belly that carried her third child and Light Hearts younger sister or brother.

Her mother, Quiet Star, waddled awkwardly from her seat to once again make sure her daughter had packed enough food in her satchel for the four hour trip. Her husband, John Granger, was away with most men from the tribe hunting for more food. The winter proved to be harsher than expected and with the white men coming to hunt just for sport, finding meat wasn't as easy as it had once been.

Quiet Star, along with the rest of the woman from the trip, were strong and able to take care of the children with the older men who were too aged to hunt, but from time to time, she needed supplies from town. This time, she needed medicine for Song Jay, her second oldest, who had run a slight fever that the medicine woman in the tribe could not break. With Quiet Star seven moons with child, the best option she had was Light Heart to get the medicine.

Light Heart tucked her long plait into her bear skin hood and turned to her mother with a smile.

"Mother, you'll worry yourself sick and then the medicine woman will have to look after you and Song Jay," she admonished while giving her a kiss on the cheek. She glanced past her to look at her little sister who lay near the small fire asleep.

"Give her a kiss for me when she awakens."

Quiet Star nodded and gazed at her daughter who she still thought of as a young girl but was now a young woman standing before her with the same personality as her father. Her husband, John, was an African man who had purchased his freedom and had met her on his way to California looking for gold like all the other souls trying to find luck. The only difference between them and him was he never made it. One look at Quiet Star and he had fallen in love.

John made it as far as Texas and never thought of going anywhere else after laying eyes on her. Her quiet spirit and strength and captured his heart and after a few months of courting, they had married and he had engrained himself fully into her tribe. A year later, they brought Light Heart into the world who was named after the joy that she gave them; bringing light into both of their hearts. Like her father, she was quick to laughter and had a smile that lit up enough to make the sun envious. Her eyes were intense and her mind sharp and she had a voice that could soar as high as the clouds and make the angels weep with its sweet melody.

She favored her mother but there were hints of John here and there that couldn't be denied. Her stature was small with Quiet Star's cheekbones and lithe body that had the curves of a young woman. Her lips were full, courtesy of her father, with two dimples that pooled in her cheeks whenever she smiled, which was often. Her hair was black as night and fell down to her waist. From her father, she had ringlets that disobeyed every brush and from her mother, the silken softness and shine.

"Mother, I have to leave or I'll make it back by nightfall," Light Heart said, impatience tinting her voice.

Her mother embraced her. "Off with you then. May the Spirit guide your path and walk with you on your journey."

Light Heart straddled her horse bareback, Walking Light, a present from her father when she was ten seasons, and waved to her mother before riding off away from her tribe in the snow.

~~~~

Light Heart had made it into town around midday. The owner of the shop, Mr. Reed, made his usual joke of how old Light Heart was getting and how she was turning into a "lovely young lady," and offered her a sweet just as he had when she was a little girl. She tossed the sugary concoction around her mouth with her tongue as she saddled up Walking Light to make the journey back home with her sisters medicine in her satchel. Light snowflakes fell softly on her person as she swung herself onto Walking Light's back.

The clouds were looking darker by the minute and she debated making the trip home but she didn't want her mother to worry anymore than necessary.

Unbeknownst to her, two men had been watching her ever since she had bought the medicine and laughed with Mr. Reed at the shop. The two men stayed a pace behind her, plotting their move when the time was right.

In an hour, she had trouble seeing anything in front of her but doggedly pushed Walking Light on, determined to make it home to her mother and sister. The wind howled and blew the now huge snowflakes with mixed rain in a whirlwind all around her. She knew the path well and trusted Walking Light's instinct to spot any danger.

Just at that thought, Walking Light abruptly stopped and stamped her hoof on the snow covered ground. Light Heart leaned down and stroked her mane.

"Shh. Easy girl. I'm here."

Walking Light pounded her hoof again with a shrill "ney" this time and alarmed, Light Heart's eyes darted around her. All was silent except for the cry of the wind echoing throughout the maze of trees. The snow silently fell in an eerie calm and Light Heart felt the hair at the base of her neck stand on edge.

She didn't see anything but knowing the land, she knew that something... or someone was out there. She struggled to listen for footprints or any abrupt noises like a twig being broken, but nothing came to her. Walking Light's ears suddenly perked up and instantaneously, she heard it.

"Help, please! Help me!"

The voice was male and not too far from where Light Heart was. Light Heart stayed with Walking Light, waiting. Her father had taught her not too be a blind fool in no circumstances.

"Hello? Is anyone there? Please. My horse threw me and I think I might have broken my leg."

At that, Light Heart was inclined to help.

"Sir, please, where are you so I can help you?" she called out.

"Oh, thank God," the voice said, sounding relieved. "I'm over here. Just follow my voice," they said eagerly.

Light Heart walked Walking Light closer to the sound of despair.

"Please hurry," the voice pleaded. "It hurts something dreadful."

Light Heart came upon a young pale skinned man in travelers clothes leaned up against a sturdy tree. He clutched his leg and his face was twisted in agony.

Hastily, she jumped off her horse and went to him. Leaning, she examined his leg with worry etched on her face.

"Do you think you can walk?" she asked him, glancing at his face that was riddled with pain. Aside from the contortion of his face, he was a reasonably good-looking man who had to be at least twenty seasons. From his mannerism and the way he spoke, she knew he was a gentleman who had apparently had unfortunate luck.

"I don't think I'll be able to miss," he answered pitifully. "Perhaps, I can lean on you for assistance?"

"Of course. You can ride on my horse and I'll take you back to town," she offered.

"I cannot begin to show you my gratitude. Thank you," he told her, while trying to brace himself up with the help of the tree.

Light Heart bent over close so he could latch onto her neck with his right arm and steady himself.

"Just lean on me... that's it," she coached. She heard him gasping in pain until he was standing up as much as he could, towering over her.

"Ah, thank you. Thank you," he repeated. "You my dear lady are a saint."

"It's no inconvenience," she assured him.

"No, you are nothing short of a saint," he breathed, while slowly walking to her horse with his arm around her neck.

"A stupid saint."

At that, she froze and felt a sharp object, most likely a knife, jutting her in the back. Miraculously, her young crippled traveler was healed, as he seemed to be standing just fine. With a loud whistle, another man materialized from the snow-covered trees and tried to grab Walking Light. She whinnied furiously and reared up on her hind legs trying to fend him off.

"Run Walking Light! Run!," Light Heart screamed in a panic. Walking Light was near and dear to her and if anything happened to her, she didn't know what she would do. Thankfully, she rode bareback and didn't have a saddle or reins on Walking Light for the other man to grab.

Walking Light could sense the danger her mistress was in and seemed to refuse to go without her. Furiously, she tossed her head to and fro, stamping her feet and rearing up showing off her impressive height.

The older man obviously had enough because in a few minutes, he pulled out a pistol.

"No!," Light Heart cried, struggling against the younger man who tightened his grib and jabbed the knife into her back .

"Come on Harry. I wanna get back in time to catch me a wench and have a tumble in the hay." The cultured tones in his voice were now gone. Another ruse to gain her trust.

The older man, identified as Harry, shot a round into the air. She figured it was to calm Walking Light. She met her horses' gaze and knew at that instant, she might never see her again.

"Go," she whispered intently, a lone tear sliding down her cheek.

Harry thought it was his chance to capture Walking Light in her moment of calm but she darted out of his reach and dashed through the spattering of trees. He fired at will, determined to kill her if he couldn't make a profit from her.

"Don't hurt her," Light Heart begged. "Run girl! Run!"

She heard her race through the trees and out of her life to safety before her own life changed forever.

arcadia00
arcadia00
11 Followers