Case of the Parole Officer Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Salud, Angels." I said. We clinked glasses and downed our shots. I put away the bottle, lest we be tempted to drink more.

"Get it out of your systems now." I said, meaning for them to vent their frustrations.

Cindy said "I feel like the whole purpose of that meeting was to split us up and assign us to precincts. Am I wrong?"

"Man, did the Sheriff blow that up, or what?" Teresa said, awe in her voice.

"I have to admit I was shocked at that, too." I said. "But no, the meeting was not about that. Observe, if you will, just who was at that meeting that normally is not. Meanwhile, the Chief doesn't fully understand yet how to handle public pressure and Media ambushes. He was rattled by the Media attacks on us, and overreacted."

"By taking it out on us?" Cindy said. "That was wrong. Just wrong."

"Guys," I said, "The new chief has been in office less than two months. His Deputy Chief is an incompetent idiot who thinks he, the Deputy Chief, is God. His Police Commander is an out-of-control, confident-to-the-point-of-arrogance redhead with a red crowbar that goes off working with the FBI and SBI, as well as going after some paranoid pipe dream of a 'Professor Moriarty' lurking behind every shadow..."

By now, Tanya was laughing uncontrollably, but Cindy and Teresa were not. I continued: "And our new Chief has also been promoted quickly, from Lieutenant just months ago to Chief now. He's trying to find his space, his niche, where he fits in... just as all of you had to at times, and I've had to, as well."

"That still was not right." said Cindy. "Especially bringing in that asshole Brownlee. Why did he do that?"

"My first thought was that it was a counterfoil to me, and to irritate me." I said. "But now I think it was to get the reaction out of you that you gave him."

"Thanks for taking up for her. And us." said Teresa. They all nodded.

"Oh, that was absolutely my pleasure." I said. "But leave Brownlee to me. If you think I fucked him up last time, you ain't seen nuthin' yet if he keeps up the shit."

I then picked up my badge and put it on my shirt again. "Anyhoo, I think the Sheriff is now administering to the Chief a proper response, so let's just drive on and get busy. Anything new?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The noon newscasts brought more pain.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News at Noon!" shouted Bettina from in front of the State Office Building next to and just west of the Federal Building on the north side of Courthouse Square. "The SBI is opening a formal investigation into the death of Henry R. Wargrave! Just moments ago, SBI Director Jack Lewis made the announcement! Roll the tape, Scott..."

The tape began to play, showing SBI Director Lewis saying "As SBI Director, I am opening an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Henry R. Wargrave. The SBI does not accept the findings of suicide. There are too many unanswered questions, too many unexamined clues to simply close this case without a full and proper investigation of every aspect of it. We hope to work with the FBI and the City authorities, but we will press this matter forward with or without them..."

Cindy was watching with me in my office, having calmed down every so slightly from the morning's disastrous meeting. "You were right, they opened the case by Thursday." she said.

"And by Wednesday, and by Tuesday." I replied. "Director Lewis is not letting the grass grow under his feet. I know that Wargrave and Lewis were pretty good friends, and I've heard some scuttlebutt that Lewis really is deeply upset about Wargrave's death. But Lewis is running for Governor next year, and he also sees this as a way to encroach upon the City's so-called 'sovereignty' and really fuck with them. Nice, politically charged situation... calm compared to this place, n'est pas, mon cousin?"

"So, we have our stories straight?" Cindy asked. I nodded, got out my device to check for bugs and for I.A. listening in on us (they weren't), and we quietly went over it one more time...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 2:30pm Cindy knocked on my door and peeked in. "Jack Spratt has been arrested. Rudistan and Morton are bringing him in."

"Good." I said. "Have him put in Interrogation-1, and let me know when he's there. Did he have a cellphone on him when he was arrested?"

"I don't know. I'll find out." Cindy replied.

"If he does, get Myron or Mary to get the signature of it, so we can compare that to the night of the crime."

"Wilco." Cindy said as she left.

About twenty minutes later, I entered I-1, where Purvis and Croyle were already interviewing Spratt. His lawyer was present, an esteemed junior legal beagle from Chase, Lynch & Berry.

"Oh wow, I didn't know I merited the attention of the Iron Crowbar himself!" Spratt said, almost excitedly as I came in. His lawyer was trying hard to get him to stop talking.

"Well, you do." I said. "Lieutenant, has the man been read his considerable rights?"

"Yes sir." Teresa said. "When he was arrested, and again just now when his lawyer came in. On tape."

"Good!" I said jovially. "Okay, Jack Spratt, you were paroled just a few months ago?"

"Yeah, and I've been clean since, Commander. Really." Spratt said. "I've been trying to go straight, do the right thing, ya know?"

"Then you won't be too upset at this hiccup in your direction." I said. "Howie, I'd really like to think you're innocent, but the methods used in the burglary just scream your name like a neon sign, parole notwithstanding. Now where were you on Wednesday evening and night?"

"That's just it, Mr. Crowbar." said Spratt. "I was at home. And parole is everything, because my parole officer was at my house doing a spot check at that same time!"

To be continued.