Caught in the Act Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If they ask again," I said, "you can tell them that I have indications that suggest she is not the perp, nor is Seth Warner. As to who it is, I'm still searching for motive, means and opportunity. Finding the murder weapon and its location was tremendously important."

"How are your new people doing?" the Chief asked.

"Pretty good." I said. "Lorena Rose jumps the gun a bit, she's excitable, forms theories before getting facts... but I think she holds a lot of promise. Claire Michaels is really great, but I'm afraid she's going to end up in SWAT full time. Teddy Parker has some imagination, but needs experience badly. Dr. Woodrow is doing well in the Crime Lab, now that he knows not to delay telling the Commander anything of even little importance in evidence collection and processing. I am disappointed in just about everyone, though... the clues at the crime scene were very strong, but are not being given the attention they deserve."

"Be sure that in teaching these guys," admonished the Chief, "that you don't keep anything from them that they need to know."

"Yes, sir." I said. "Which reminds me sir, I need to give Lt. Ross a briefing on some things, if you'll excuse me." The Chief dismissed me.

Part 7 - Evidence Collection

October 1st. I arrived at Police Headquarters at 6:00am as usual, finding that Martin Nash had arrived ahead of me.

"Sir," he said as I came into MCD, "ADA Patterson called and said she was at the Courthouse getting that warrant you asked for, and she should be here by 6:30."

"Good, thanks." I said. "And when Detective Rose comes in, tell her to come to my office. If she's not here by the time Paulina gets back, I'll have to give her a call." Martin Nash knew was I was implying, and as I left to go back to my office he was already pulling out his cell phone to call Lorena and get her into my presence, pronto. Lorena did arrive just as Paulina did.

"Okay, Detective Rose, let's go." I said. "We're going to go collect some evidence." Detective Rose was perplexed but remained silent as we got into my Police SUV.

"So how are you liking MCD?" I asked.

"It's good sir, but this case is showing me I have a lot to learn." Lorena replied. "And my partner and Lieutenant Ross think I speak too much and too quickly, so I'm trying not to say too much and just learn."

"That's good, but just between you, me and the lamp-post, don't let that curb your enthusiasm." I said. "You're doing just fine, just be sure to twist your theories to the facts rather than twist facts to suit your theories."

"Yes sir, thank you sir." Lorena said. I could tell that my praise was having a very positive effect on her, that the 'training' she was getting from Cindy and Claire had been tough-love and could be hard to take, mentally. What they were doing was right, but I didn't want to dampen Lorena's edge, which would serve her well once harnessed.

The sun was just getting to the top of the mountain ridge to the east where my home was as we drove through the University campus. I parked at the Athletic Building where the coach's offices and player locker rooms were. I grabbed my bag of tools and we went behind the building towards the practice fields. They had just been unlocked; the football team would be taking the field at 7:00am for morning practice.

Lt. Bill Hanson of the University Police met us there; I'd called him and asked for his assistance.

"What are you looking for, sir?" Lorena asked. I looked around and saw some rather muddy areas where the artificial turf of the practice field.

"You see that path that comes from the sidewalk between the Athletic Building and the practice field, that leads up the hill?" I asked Lorena, pointing to a path that ran along the far side of the practice fields, between the fence of the fields and the beginnings of the slope towards the mountain to our right.

"Yes, sir." she said.

"That leads to the track and field areas." I said. "They carved out a flat place and put a track there, literally against the side of the mountain. A lot of people go there to exercise; athletes, students, and even Townspeople. It's free for everyone.

"I'm thinking someone walked along this path to... right here." I said, pointing at the edge of the artificial turf along the path. I knelt down, opened my back and took out my tools -- scissors and an evidence bag. I cut some of the artificial turf and bagged it.

"Lorena, take this to the Crime Lab, pronto. They're expecting it, and it's under this warrant." I said, handing her the folded piece of paper that the warrant was printed upon. "Lt. Hanson, would you go with Detective Rose, to keep two-man control of this evidence?"

"Sure." said Lt. Hanson. "In fact, I'll drive. I've got a meeting with your Chief this morning, so I need my car there." They left as I watched in the gathering light.

At the far end of the Athletic Building, a single file line of football players ran out the locker room door and to the gate to the other side of this practice field. They ran down he sideline, then the first guy cut up the 45 yard line and eight guys followed. Behind that line, the next group of guys cut left at the 40 yard line, then the next on the 35, and so on. It was a precision drill that rivaled a military march exercise. It was too bad this team wasn't as good on the field as they were starting practice.

"Commander Troy... can I help you with something?" It was Interim Head Coach Russ Bronson, a tough, swarthy man with broad shoulders, a good physique even at his age, a head full of longish brown hair, and a big mustache. He did not look particularly happy to see me; he was a good friend of Coach Harlan, and had been sympathetic to Coach Harlan when Harlan was attacking me over the handling of the Black Widow's demise.

"Hi Coach." I said. "No thanks, I just stopped to watch the football team come out to practice. How's Coach Harlan?"

Coach Bronson sighed, "He's not good. Just between us, it's much more serious than they're letting on. Even if Brian survives this, I doubt he'll ever be able to come back to coaching full-time again."

"Sorry to hear that." I said, mostly out of politeness. "I'll get out of here and let you get back to work. Good luck with the rest of the season."

"Thanks." said Coach Bronson as he jogged onto the field.

As I was driving back, I saw the large field called "The Quad", which was ringed by Old Dorm, New Dorm and other dorms and buildings. The Army ROTC Juniors were in formation, learning drill and ceremonies. Now that took me back! I was thinking as I slowed down, then pulled over to watch the cadets. This class was a good looking group.

-------------------------------------

"Commander!" yelled Cindy Ross, bursting into my office right at 9:00am. "You've got to come see this!" That breach of protocol suggested something huge, and I followed Cindy to MCD, where everyone was watching the television set.

Filling the television screen was Katherine Woodburn, former owner of KXTC, standing behind a podium at what appeared to be a political rally in the Courthouse Square... and the words she was angrily shouting confirmed it: "We cannot let John Cummings be elected and take away a woman's right to choose and a woman's right to contraception! As your next State Senator from the First District of the State, I promise you that I will fight against the Republicans' War on Women!" The crowd cheered enthusiastically.

"Yep," said Cindy, "she's running for State Senate in Nathan Allen's place. They've already rigged it to get her on the ballot, and she's announcing it now."

"Out of the frying pan, into the fire." I murmured, mostly to myself. Vice Detective (J.G.) Joanne Cummings agreed. John Cummings was her cousin, and they were both very Conservative in their politics. But I realized as I watched Woodburn on television that things were just heating up in the ol' Town & County. It was 'Game On'.

Just then my cell phone rang. And as far as I was concerned, the news I was told when I answered was absolutely the biggest...

To be continued.