Caught in the Middle Ch. 07

Story Info
A very eventful royal wedding.
9.8k words
4.11
8.2k
7

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 10/30/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On the morning of her wedding, Maya stayed buried under her covers for as long as possible. She spent the entire night tossing and turning in the bed, and ended up with only a couple hours of restless sleep. After much internal debating, she decided she wouldn't tell Richard about what happened regarding Michael coming to her room and threatening to take her. Ultimately, she chose not to believe him, figuring that he just wanted to scare her before she got married.

If scaring her was indeed his intention, though, he succeeded. After Michael left her room, she spent the remainder of the night going over his words again and again. There was simply no way any part of what he said could be true. Everyone in Richard's family had been patient and kind to her so far, and she knew that they had experience with Sources. Maya had complete faith in them.

The last thing she wanted was to give Michael any power over her. Ever since Richard rescued her from Jursia, he continued to make her feel protected and safe. Now, she thought, that protection was something she'd taken for granted. She never imagined that she would see Michael again, or that it would be so easy for him to do something like sneak into her room, undetected. That last fact scared her more than anything. Had there been any other instances where he'd been able to watch her, without her knowing? The idea made her uneasy. But he said he would come for her only after a bunch of other stuff happened, stuff that Maya was determined to make sure wouldn't happen. If everything went the way Maya intended it to, Michael would have no chance at coming to take her.

Outside of her room, she could hear the footsteps and voices of servants and staff working to have everything in order before the ceremony. Before someone could come and yank her out of bed, she figured she might as well get up and take the pills Cedric had given her, hoping that she could at least feign the ability to function properly on her big day. Then she mentally went through, also for the millionth time, what had transpired between her and Cedric the previous night. Blinking back tears, she wondered if she could've done anything to prevent him feeling the way he did. It pained her to think too much about this, because she knew that if she was honest, she would have to admit that she spent weeks giving Richard the cold shoulder, and acting wishy-washy around Cedric. She worried that she had led him on, so that she could take comfort in the attention that he gave her. Now she stood to lose one of the few people she'd been able to call a friend.

After taking the pills, she went to rinse her face off, and heard a knock at the door. She grabbed her towel and pat her face dry, "Come in!" she called out, checking her reflection in the mirror to make sure she didn't look too sleep deprived.

An entourage of maids, led by Mille, barged into the room, bringing with the m piles of clothing, shoes and accessories.

Mille seemed to be in a better mood than usual, and her cheery sprit immediately rubbed off on Maya. "We've got a long day ahead of us, dearie! Best to get started now," without asking permission, she worked to remove Maya's night clothes. "My goodness, you look like you haven't slept in days!" she noted.

Maya looked down, not wanting to give Mille too much time to notice just how sleep deprived she actually was. She nervously laughed, "I guess it's just those pre-wedding nerves." The two women walked together into the bathroom. After a few months of being pampered by Mille, Maya no longer had second thoughts about being nude around her. It was routine now. Maya grabbed some of her favorite oils and soaps and placed them next to the tub for Mille to use.

"Not that there's anything for you to feel nervous about, I think I've got just the thing to perk you up." If there was one thing that would make Maya forget about how tired she was, it was the bucket of cold water that was suddenly dumped over her head.

"What the hell, Mille!" Maya cradled her shivering body.

The ruthless woman continued on as though she hadn't done anything wrong. "It's good for the skin," she simply explained. "Today, my only duty is to make you the loveliest bride Alsthior has ever seen!" Maya took note of the fiery determination in her eyes, not knowing whether or not to feel reassured or terrified.

As it turned out, preparing for the wedding was somewhat of an out-of- body experience. Maya was clearly distracted and unable to focus, but no one seemed to notice. Having no less than five servants around her at all times meant that she didn't need to be anymore present than a doll.

Finally, the women spread out to give Maya some space, 'ooh'-ing and 'ahh'-ing at the final result of their work. They excitedly chatted amongst themselves, occasionally turning to Maya to tell her how lovely she looked. Clearly, they were happy to have helped. And besides, who doesn't get excited over a royal wedding?

"Maya, my dear. You are absolutely radiant," all eyes turned to see the Queen standing in the doorway. "Ladies, would you mind giving us some alone time?" The women all bowed and scurried out of the room, leaving behind a noticeable silence.

Immediately, Maya rose from the seat at her vanity and bowed. "Good morning, Your Highness," she struggled to keep her voice from shaking. It had been weeks since Maya was alone with the Queen, and she never once thought that the elegant woman would actually go out of her way to come to her room. Queen Evelyn took slow, yet confident steps into the room towards Maya. The young bride-to-be stayed where she was, willing her body not to break out in a cold sweat.

"Oh, I'm just so happy!" The Queen threw her arms around Maya and pulled her into a hug. Awkwardly, Maya did her best to return the gesture.

"You really are a beautiful bride," Evelyn held her at arm's length. "I know that things have been rather cordial between us. This whole Source business can get quite messy, and of course, as the royal family, we must be careful. But now that you'll be a member of the family, well...I'm so happy to finally have a daughter!" Unable to contain her enthusiasm, she pulled Maya into an embrace once more.

"That ring you're wearing," she stepped back walked over to the vanity. "It was Rosa's, correct?"

Subconsciously, Maya found her fingers toying with the ring on her left hand. "Yes, Your Majesty. Richard gave it to me last night."

"It suits you. I always got along well with Rosa. I'm sure she would've wanted you to have it," she gestured for her future daughter-in-law to stand next to her. "I was thinking, it would be improper for me not to present you with a gift, as well." Reaching around her neck, she undid her necklace. "I would be grateful if you would accept this."

Without waiting for a response, Evelyn placed the accessory around Maya's neck and fastened it securely. The elegant design featured two pearl chains connected by a ruby pendant at the center. It stood out beautifully against Maya's bronzed skin. "Are you sure it's okay for me to accept this?" her fingers lightly traced the jewelry.

"Of course! And I must say, it suits you much better than it does me." The two women shared one last hug, before the Queen announced that there were other things she had to see to before the wedding. They bid each other farewell, and Maya was left alone in the room for the first time since she'd woken up. After recounting all that had happened, she realized that she really hadn't gotten a good look at herself in the mirror.

During her time in the castle, she'd more or less grown accustomed to dressing up every day. On this day, something was a little different, although she couldn't say what it was. The dress was a lacy, off-white gown. The sleeves were off the shoulder, which made the Queen's gift the perfect finishing touch. Her make-up was soft (she still refused to let them go anywhere near her face with powder), and her hair, which was just past her shoulders, was styled in a feminine half-up do, with her natural curls framing her face.

The eyes that met hers in the mirror's reflection bore a strong resemblance to her mother's, willing Maya to take a second to think about her family. If she was still confident in finding a way back home, everything- the wedding, the marriage- all seemed like something being done just for show. If she really found a way out of there, none of it would mean anything. But at the same time, Maya couldn't say she felt completely emotionally detached from it all. Her feelings for Richard were real, as were the memories she'd made over the past few months. She wondered would her parents would say if they could see her in the old-fashioned gown. That one question led to many others. Would they approve of Richard? What would they think of her becoming royalty? Would they believe her if she told them about her being a Source?

Outside her bedroom window, Maya witnessed the arrival of her guests. Since she rarely interacted with people outside the castle, it was fascinating to watched as Lords and Ladies stepped out of their carriages, decked out in the latest fashions of their respective countries. Styles ranged from colorful, outlandish dresses, to more minimalistic, elegant ensembles. Maya had been warned beforehand that, with her being the new Source, she would be subject to intense scrutiny. With a strange woman from a foreign land marrying into one of the most powerful families in Esfalda, naturally people would have questions. Luckily, Richard reassured her that he would stay by her side and make sure the guests wouldn't get too carried away with their inquiries.

It would be fun, she thought, to be publicly acknowledged as husband and wife. Richard was far from a bad catch, and Maya was certain that she would be the envy of every woman in the country. Of course, she had other reasons to be excited that went beyond the superficial. She'd spent so much time cooped up in the castle, but once Richard became King, she would take pride in standing by his side and supporting him in whatever way she could.

"May I come in?"

Maya turned to see who had come to visit her this time. Speak of the devil, she thought. Richard looked more regal than ever, standing before her in a very official looking ensemble sporting various sashes and crests. As ornate as it was, his masculine good looks still managed to be the center of attention. A close second, though, was what he was holding in his hands. "We can't have you walking down the aisle without this," he held out a purple velvet pillow, on top of which sat a breathtakingly beautiful tiara. The headpiece featured a mix of diamonds and pearls arranged in delicate flower designs.

"May I?" he asked. She nodded silently, working hard to blink back tears of happiness. Her heart beat wildly when she felt the weight of the tiara on her head. "I'm beginning to feel like an actual princess," she gushed.

"As you should, considering you'll become one in just a short while," he took a few steps back to observe the final product. "Absolutely stunning," he remarked, resulting in Maya turning into a literal blushing bride. "If it were up to me, I would be the only one to see you like this," he confessed. Maya assumed there weren't any taboos in Alsthior about brides and grooms seeing each other before the wedding, so she was happy to have a quick moment alone with him.

Unfortunately, it was short lived and brought to an end when one of the maids came to get Maya. Richard kissed bent down to kiss her cheek, "I suppose I should head down first," he shrugged. At the door, he paused and turned around, giving Maya a reassuring smile before taking his leave. Shortly after, Maya followed the maid down to the doors leading into the castle's grand hall, where she was given a bouquet of roses.

Thanks to many, many rehearsals and thorough instructions on how the ceremony would proceed, Maya's body was able to act on autopilot. When the double doors of the hall opened, and all eyes turned to her, she shut everything else out and was drawn immediately to Richard. For her, it was as though they were the only two in the room. She walked towards him, not bothering to hide her growing smile.

After the pair said their vows and signed the certificate, Richard beamed down at his new wife. If he didn't know any better, he would've thought she'd spent her entire life as an aristocrat. Everything went without a hitch and, they both thought, set a wonderful precedent for their future together. For Maya, the wedding was just what she needed to assuage her recent anxieties. She didn't think getting married to Richard would make her feel too different towards him, but now she knew that wasn't the case. She had an overwhelming desire to do whatever she could to make him proud to be with her. In order to accomplish that, she would be happy to live out the rest of her days in Alsthior.

After the ceremony, everyone moved to the banquet hall. Copious amounts of food and alcohol were served to the guests while Richard and Maya made rounds to thank everyone for coming. Maya learned so much about the other kingdoms, what they had to offer, and where their relationship with Alsthior stood. Above all, she could tell that everyone had a deep respect for Richard and his family.

The couple watched gleefully as people began dancing, and eventually decided to join in. Maya knew that this was truly the wedding of any woman's dreams. Even back home, it was hard to remember a time when she felt so happy and fulfilled. When things died down a little, Cedric approached the pair.

"Congratulations, dear friend. I wish you both many years of happiness," he raised his glass towards them.

"Thank you, Cedric," Richard gave his friend a sturdy pat on the back. "We couldn't have gotten this far without your help, you know," he acknowledged. Maya nodded in agreement.

"Really Cedric, thank you for all your help," she said sincerely, though she was still unsure of where their relationship stood.

He gave them a slight bow. "Well, if you'll excuse me, it has been a long day, hasn't it? I think I'll take my leave here," he began to walk away, but suddenly stopped and turned back to face them. "If anything...happens, please don't hesitate to come find me." With those words he left Maya and Richard to enjoy the remainder of the party.

*****

The evening festivities were fun, and a nice change of pace for Maya, but she was glad when she finally found herself alone with Richard in his room.

"I've been to your study before, but I think this is actually the first time I've seen your room," she allowed herself to be guided over to his bed.

"We can go to the study if you'd like," he studied her soft features in the candle light, affection for her swimming in his clear blue eyes. "I just thought the bed would be more comfortable."

"Fair enough," she wanted him, and she wanted to make sure he knew it. "How about you help me get this dress off?" she suggested, not wanting to waste any time. The pair worked on removing each part of the elaborate ensemble until she was left wearing only her lingerie.

"You're so beautiful, Maya," he cupped her face in his hands, refusing to pull his eyes away from hers. The petite girl stood on her tip-toes to close the distance between their faces and moved in to initiate a kiss. "I love you, Richard," she said breathlessly, "I love you so much." Richard's strong hands picked her up and he playfully fell with her onto the bed. They took their time freely exploring one another, only stopping every so often to increase their passions with a kiss.

Richard broke their embrace to lift the chemise over her head, rendering her naked beneath him. Both were breathing heavy, ready to fully give themselves over to one another. Maya relaxed and let Richard take over. She bit down on her lip in anticipation, loving the feeling of his lips against her neck, traveling lower. Light, teasing kisses were placed between her breasts. Suddenly his weight was lifted from her body, and she waited anxiously to know where she would feel him next.

"What the hell is that?" he asked her, without any hint of love or kindness in his voice. Surprised by his sudden change in character, Maya bolted up to see what was wrong.

"That mark," his eyes focused on the area under her left breast. Maya followed his gaze, and when she saw what he did, the color drained from her body.

"I-it's nothing. Just a bruise," before she could say anything else, the back of his hand struck her cheek. The force of the hit was enough to knock her on her side, and before she could recover, he had both hands on her shoulders, and yanked her back up like a ragdoll. "Don't lie to me, Maya. Where did that come from?" he demanded, crystal blue eyes boring into her. Maya couldn't put her finger on it, but something in him had shifted. This wasn't the same man she had been with moments ago. "I asked you a question," Richard emphasized his impatience by hardening his grip on her forearms.

"Stop it! Please, you're hurting me" she was in a state of shock. To have been with someone so loving, caring, and supportive in one moment, to suddenly finding herself with someone who seemed to be a total stranger, was unnerving. As badly as she wanted to give a rational explanation for the mark, she knew that nothing good would come from prolonging the situation and withholding the truth.

A simple confession spilled from her lips "It was Michael." Tears poured from her eyes as her words hung in the air. Richard stared at her in disbelief. "L-last night he came here. He was in my room," she continued. "This mark- I think he was just trying to intimidate me. But he only touched me, I swear! After that he just talked, he didn't..." she chose to let those last words go unsaid.

"I find it hard to believe he 'just touched' you. Why didn't you tell me?!" he released her, pushing her away as he got off the bed and started pacing the room.

"I didn't want to give him more power over me! Over us!" she tried to rationalize as best she could. "I...I didn't want to spend the first days of our marriage in fear. And if something did happen to me...I know I can always trust you to protect me," despite this claim, she wasn't sure if she still believed what she said to be true. To put as much distance between them as she could, Maya pulled her knees to her chest, fearfully waiting to see what Richard would do or say next.

In the dim candle light, she watched him pacing back and forth, saying nothing. Just when she thought he was beginning to calm down, he strode over his chest of drawers, and pushed the heavy wooden furniture down, grunting in frustration. Clothing poured out, and Maya put her hands over her mouth to stifle a terrified cry. He continued his rampage around the room, throwing and knocking over anything he could get his hands on.

"Please stop this!" she screamed. "I'm sorry, I know I should've told you..."

"Were there any other times?" he stopped to ask in a quiet, low voice. The rise and fall of his chest, and the wild look in his usually clear, calm eyes nearly took her breath away. "What?" she looked up to see him making his way back towards her.

He placed his hands on the bed, leaning in until there were mere inches between their faces. "Were there any other times he came to your room without my knowing?"

"No. I swear!"

Richard reached around her head, grabbing a fistful of her hair and yanking down hard. He towered over her, pulling her head back and making it impossible for her to turn away from him. The smile he suddenly sported was not forgiving, nor was it understanding. It was not playful, or sympathetic. It was dark, twisted, bitter and angry. "Somehow, I find it difficult to believe that."