Celestial Wars Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Noble_Truth
Noble_Truth
2,020 Followers

"Now cease demon!" the angel yelled.

He darted forth, jabbing the blade at his demonic foe. Devnikolus flowed away from the strikes. The sword did not touch him.

The angel's face was twisted in concentration. He was holding no part of himself back. He meant to slay the Prince of Destruction.

The sword whistled, as it rushed towards the demon's shadow-head. Devnikolus moved like liquid underneath the blade, and snaked around the angel. Black flames darted out, too close to dodge.

But then, the angel cut the sword at the flames, and they dispersed like smoke in the wind.

The Black Fire of Destruction could not find purchase on Excalibur.

The demon's fire shot out again, but not fast enough.

The bright blade sunk into the demon lord's shoulder. Ragged spikes of pain echoed through the demon. True pain, felt in the demon's true form.

Devnikolus tried to shift himself away from it, tried to flow away from the cold biting metal. But it held tight.

Excalibur resisted the Lord of Destruction.

It resisted like a tower amidst a hurricane, like an ancient oak amongst a forest fire...it stood against his chaos.

The Lord of Destruction howled, and threw out a wave of dark fire that encompassed the garden and darkened the sky. The angel was forced to withdraw and the sword slid out.

None of the fire found the angel's flesh, but it littered the field like pits of flickering nothing.

***

-Alarial-

I watched because I couldn't look away, even when the sword had been driven through him and that tidal wave of fire had erupted.

My eyes were fixed on the shadow-flame creature as it moved like wood-smoke around the garden, and shot black flames at Michael. Something in my gut curled at the sight of that fire. It was like an instinctive fear, like the kind that comes with deep water, or moonless nights.

That creature was the man I loved.

Even though I was looking upon a true monster, my love for him was strong and clear through our bonding. Once in a while, I thought I could even see the shining gold cord of our joining deep within the flame shaped man.

"Jon?" I asked, "Is that what Devnik really looks like?"

Jon, who had still been eyeing Cariel as she sat on the bathroom floor, looked at me.

"Yes, and no," Jon said.

I had always wondered why people said that phrase. It was distinctly unhelpful.

"Meaning?" I asked, as I watched Michael dodge another wave of fire, before cutting the rest with his sword.

"The human form, the one that you are familiar with, was what Devnik looked like when he was an angel."

"He was an angel once?" I asked. I would have been more stunned, but my capacity for surprise had long been exhausted.

Jon nodded, "He was Devniel, the angel of Building and Preserving. Then, something happened ages ago, and Devniel was corrupted by Hell into Devnikolus. It was then that he was cursed to live as that...thing...you see outside."

"But he can still appear as his angelic self?" I asked.

"Apparently," Jon said, exasperated. "I honestly don't know too much of the mechanics. He doesn't like to speak about it."

Cariel stirred from her place at that. She rose gracefully to her feet, and looked out the window.

"I think the thirty minutes have been over for a long while now..."

***

-The Demon Prince of Destruction-

Devnikolus could feel the slow change. Like the first cracks in a strong barricade. Like the tremble that heralds a cracking mountain. The angel was slowing, and he was not.

The demon lord knew that he could break this angel. And the demon smiled, knowing that the sweet song of ruin would soon fill his veins.

It would be euphoric.

The sword was fast in Michael's hand, but the flames kept coming. It would be easier to fend off the quaking earth than to stop Destruction. More fire leapt forward.

Michael screamed as a wisp of flame touched his tunic. The flames stuck and began to burn. A touch to his skin would end him. But the Angel was moving quickly.

He ripped the tunic free from his body. No fire touched his skin. The tunic was consumed by Destruction. Not even ashes remained.

The angel stood before him naked, with his hateful sword in hand. He was panting, but he was unmarred.

But Devnikolus laughed, for he knew it would not be long now...

"Devnik!" came a voice from the broken manor doorway behind the Demon Prince. "The time has passed! Dispel Winnowing, and let us escape!"

Who dares speak to me so? I am Devnikolus. Mortals would pray for plagues instead of me.

But then that annoying voice whispered, Jon.

Just go... whispered the voice, Michael does not need to be destroyed.

Devnikolus snorted. That made no sense. Everything needed to be destroyed. Men set stones atop one another so he could knock them down. Wood existed so he could burn it. Angels were made so he could twist them until they were still and lifeless

No...we must go, came the voice, but it was no longer a whisper. It filled the demon's head...it pushed him out.

Suddenly, The Demon Prince of Destruction's strength was guttering. His limbs turned weak, and the flames of unmaking grew dim. His task was not finished...but he was fading.

-Devnik-

My human body snapped back into place as I forced Destruction from my mind. Exhaustion hit me in an all-encompassing embrace. My legs wobbled, and I nearly fell to one knee.

I tried to clear my weary vision. Michael was standing some distance away. He was naked, and all his rippling muscles were bunched and tensed. In his hand, Excalibur glinted menacingly.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jon standing with Alarial and Cariel in the splintered doorway.

"Alarial, Cariel," called Michael. "Don't forsake yourselves. When this realm collapses, you will be faced with a choice. Do not abandon the Light. You have seen the corruption of the Dark first hand. Don't choose that for yourself."

He paused, before speaking softly, "The Light will forgive all your trespasses. Love will purify you."

I was barely listening to any of Michael's words. I was desperately trying to undo the tethers that anchored this in-between place to the Earth. I didn't want to face the sword of Legend in my current state.

"I already have my own love," Alarial said. "He saved me from a miserable life. You didn't."

I couldn't help but glance over at her, shocked. After all she had probably seen...

I had hoped she would choose to accompany me if I had to open up Winnowing, but to actually hear her say it, that was another thing entirely.

She saw me looking, and gave me a small smile.

The last tether broke.

***

-Daniel-

The tiny crack in the door to Hell widened. It was nearly imperceptible. But I had done little but stare into the waiting abyss between the gap in the doors.

Then, the doors flung open, and I could do nothing but gaze into the true depths of the Hell that had opened up in front of me.

Within the door I could see a sky of twilight and royal purple...and what looked like an ever expanding garden, dominated by a single black tower in the center.

That was when I felt the pull. It was like icy hands had latched onto me, and they were determined to drag me, inch by inch, down into the depths.

"Resist Daniel" Cried Vraiel in my head. "Put everything you have into resisting Hell's call."

I saw a shape pass like a ghost through the wall of my prison, and fly through the Crossing. Another shape followed the first. Then another.

In all, four entities swooped by me as they surrendered to Hell's pull. One of them had been Devnikolus.

"I think you're doing it Daniel" Vraiel cheered. The doors had begun to close. Suddenly, the icy grip shifted. Now, it felt like my very heart was trapped in a vice. I slipped a little bit as I was dragged closer to the door.

"The heart is pulling us in Daniel!" Cried Vraiel. "If you feel you cannot resist, you must drop the sword. The sword cannot be allowed to pass into hell!"

It wouldn't come to that, I thought. I had failed when faced with the temptations of the Dark once before. I would not submit so easily a second time.

I felt a sharp tear in my chest.

I watched in shock as my stone heart, with the pentagram etched into the side, exploded out of my ribcage, and tumbled through the door to hell.

The doors slammed shut, and then my vision dimmed.

Chapter 18

Talking of Eternity

Don't fret my sweet. Endings don't last forever...

-Forgotten Lovers

~

-Alarial-

It wasn't painful. Not like I expected it would be.

When Jon and Cariel had talked about Hell's 'call' I had imagined an uncomfortable and irresistible pull.

But there was none of that. It felt more like a question than a pull. I felt a cool presence embrace me, and it seemed to ask me if I would like to go with it.

It did not try and trick me. This 'presence' seemed to make it clear that Hell was our destination, and that I would be forever different should I choose to go. It also let me know that I could refuse, and remain on this Earth once Winnowing dispersed.

There was never any doubt.

My Dark God's warm red eyes were focused on me as I smiled at him. He returned my smile with a bright, honest one of his own. One that made his pale face dimple at the corners of his mouth.

Then, right before my eyes, he sunk into the ground like he was a substance-less ghost.

Take me as well.

The presence grew close around me, and a gentle grip pulled me through the earth.

Through a chamber deep underground.

Through a door not of this world.

-Cariel-

I watched my sister slide beneath the earth after her demonic lover and knew that all my efforts had been for nothing.

He is your lover too...Whispered the jealous side of myself.

I could feel that Hell's call had settled on me. I wondered if I was the first Seraphim in history to feel this sensation. It was strange. Cold but calm. Questioning yet soothing.

Michael was looking at me.

A few short decades ago, I would have been bowing before this mighty man. I would have been awed to spend time in the presence of the great Archangel Michael. Now...all I felt was unsatisfied.

I tapped a finger on the gold collar that encircled my neck.

"Do you think you could get this off?" I asked. My voice was dull.

Michael just looked at me. A tear trickled down his cheek. He seemed to be in shock. He genuinely hadn't expected Alarial to choose the demon. He truly believed that good always triumphed when it mattered.

"It will take centuries to unravel whatever locking magic Devnikolus might have devised." Michael said. "We'll have to keep you isolated in case the mind control magic affects your judgment."

He sighed, and ran a hand through his bronze hair.

"It's over now Seraphim Cariel," he said, "You go back to your Sphere, I need to check the monastery...though I know it is too late."

I felt the compulsion to obey a celestial superior, but just then, the collar flared into life. Apparently, not accompanying Devnik down into Hell counted as trying to escape.

Oh...well that settles it then.

I closed my eyes before I gave in and slipped into hell. I closed them mainly to spare myself from seeing Michael's expression, but also because I was really fucking tired.

-Jon-

I watched Cariel slip down after Maria.

Michael's face twisted into open shock. "Seraphim!" He screamed. "I order you to return to heaven!"

But she was gone.

He rounded on me. Now there was anger on his face along with tears.

I just shrugged. I had come to terms with this. My life as I had known it was over. I guess no human truly walks this earth forever.

"I made a deal a while back," I said with a forced laugh. "I've got to go. Bye now."

I gave him a jaunty wave, and stuck my tongue out at him as I went.

***

-Devnik-

Hell welcomed me, as I sunk into its deep embrace.

For a moment, I was nothing but raw energy passing between the mortal Plane and the Demonic one. It was comfortable, and I could feel my pains ebbing away. I always enjoyed the transition back to Hell. It was like coming home.

Then, I began to reform.

The press of a new reality began to reshape my physical body. My eyes began to see again, and my sense of touch, smell and hearing were returned to me.

I blinked once, and smiled.

I was sitting on my throne, in my tower, in the center of my Plane of Hell. My gaze swept over the throne room, where a very surprised Unami, who was sweeping the black marble hall, gave a startled yell.

Despite my best efforts, I chuckled a little as he tripped over a blood red rug, and tumbled to the floor.

Then, there was chaos.

"My Prince!" squeaked the Unami.

He quickly stood and righted himself. He gave me a deep bow, and then sprinted off down a passage way, yelling news of my return at the entire tower.

"The Prince has returned! The Prince has returned!"

***

Soon, nearly my entire court was assembled in front of me.

My full court consisted of five X'irel and twelve Bra'rul, and I could see four X'irel and ten Bra'rul before me.

All fourteen of them were on one knee, lowered into a deep bow. For a moment, I simply gazed at them. Then, my eyes wandered up to high ceilings, where wrought iron chandeliers burned red wax candles.

Nearly thirty years since I had last sat upon this throne...

My eyes dropped back down at my subjects.

"Efular!" I snapped. "How have the affairs of court been in my absence?"

My second in command jumped to his feet. He was a tall X'irel with a long braid of dark brown hair. Aside from his red eyes, he looked like a perfect human until he opened his mouth. X'irel have unnatural, needle sharp teeth.

"Yes Lord," he said, as he stepped up onto the dais that my throne sat upon. He reached into a pocket in his robe, and withdrew a thick piece of vellum.

"Three items of note took place during you three decade absence." He said, as he unfurled his list and peered at it.

"The first is that Prince Baal attempted to call on you. He refused to leave a message. He said he would try again in half a century."

I cleared my throat. If that was the most important thing, than the business of the court could wait.

Efular, while reliable, was not particularly subtle. He continued on.

"Second, is that a large party of imps have asked that you attend to an abnormally large Destruction fire that has erupted in the lower west side of the Purple Lily Gardens. They were..." Efular finally stopped speaking once I raised my hand.

I pointed at a Bra'rul named Oreda. She rose quickly from her bow.

"How may I serve my lord?" She asked.

"Gather two others and search the realm for three newcomers that followed me through the Crossing. You are looking for a blond Aethling, a red haired Seraphim, and a human with scars on his face. They came through shortly after me, so they should be close by."

Oreda bowed low once again. She pointed at two Unami who were watching from the far end of the throne room and ordered them to follow her.

They left, and I turned back to Efular.

"Does anything absolutely require my attention for the next four hours?" I asked.

Efular frowned, and looked down at his notes. Reluctantly, he shook his head.

I stood, and Efular sunk down into another bow.

"Members of the Court of the Sixth Plane of Hell," I said loudly so my voice carried, "I am overjoyed to see you all. Tomorrow, I will hold an open court for all disputes, both large and petty. I shall also take some time for us to be reacquainted."

I paused, and they looked up at me.

"However, for now, I will be busy. I return to you all with wonderful news. I have brought a Seraphim, an Aethling, and a living mortal down to hell. They shall become members of our court, and members of the Dark."

The court gasped, and I was greeted with a short round of polite applause.

I held up a hand, and they quietened.

"For now, I shall oversee their changing. I ask that you all excuse me. Dismissed."

They all rose, and a din of chatter erupted amongst them as they began to exit into the passage ways.

I turned to Efular.

"Make sure Oreda brings my new subjects to my chambers immediately."

Efular nodded, "It will be done my lord."

He hesitated, then said, "It is good to have you back my Prince. It makes the court uneasy to be without the authority of our Lord."

I clasped Efular on the shoulder briefly, and then walked through the doorway behind the throne into my chambers.

***

I sat down wearily in my favorite armchair, next to the marble fireplace. I snapped my fingers, and a roaring orange fire blossomed in the hearth.

One must always have a fire.

While I gazed into the flames, I formulated what I would do. I wanted to go out into the realm and search for my love, my future bondswoman, and my butler. There were many dangers out in my Plane of Hell...and that didn't include the demons who made their homes there.

But I couldn't. I had to play the part of the lord, so I had to have my subjects do my menial tasks for me.

I sank back into my seat, and imagined what I would do to Oreda if any one of them came to harm.

***

-Cariel-

I stood with Alarial and Jon outside an intimidatingly tall black tower.

I hadn't managed to see much of this strange place before being led here.

From what I had seen it looked like a strange and savage garden in eternal twilight, with a sky shaded with light purples and some deeper pinks. Marble statues in various states of disrepair shared space with climbing roses.

But that wasn't the terrifying part. As I explored the garden, I had turned the corner at a large hedge, and nearly walked into a section that burned with Devnikolus's strange black fire. My nose had been inches away from the blaze.

After that, I had found a mossy bench next to some roses, and waited to be found.

It wasn't long before a Bra'rul had accosted me. I had been expecting Devnik, and in my surprise, I had tried to use magic to defend myself.

But my magic hadn't come. I could still feel it within myself, but I couldn't draw it to the surface.

I am powerless here.

"Come with me," the female Bra'rul had said. "The other two have already been found."

"Where are you taking me...demon?" I said, unable to keep some of the sneer out of my voice.

"To my Prince," she had said ignoring my jibe. "Follow close behind, the gardens will destroy you if you take a wrong turn."

So I had followed, and now all three of us stood together.

"My Prince sent us out to find you," said the Bra'rul, who had introduced herself as Oreda. "This is his stronghold, and the center of the Broken Gardens."

I cast my eyes over at Jon and Alarial. Jon looked apprehensive. Alarial looked impatient.

We all entered through the gate, and found ourselves in an expansive black marble chamber. At the very end, a black throne with rubies in the hand-rests dominated a large dais.

Devnikolus's throne. I thought.

Oreda continued speaking as we walked across the chamber. "My Prince has said that he will oversee your corruption transformations personally. It is a very high honor. You three must be strongly within his favor."

Alarial snorted a little bit, and I saw Jon bite his lip to keep back a smile. I'd like to say I remained composed, but I might have rolled my eyes.

Noble_Truth
Noble_Truth
2,020 Followers