Centaur Love Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Grand Master Dorthan looked at Morrison, then the wand in his hands. "What is the meaning of this Jeffery? And drop that wand right now!"

"Someone attacked my son Albert!"

"You're Son?" Master Sexitorius yelled. "He was attempting to break the spell on the Grove, Morrison."

Mathew quickly looked for Felica, Sir Fellis had her behind the house. He centered the shield on himself, and then opened the shield's ley line. Allowing it full access to the ley lines flow, he forced it smaller around himself. A slight milky globe appeared around him. Then he stepped closer to Morrison, "You came here in peace, but you brought an assassins wand. Were you going to use it on me or my mate assassin? You were told! The grove was protected by spells. You knew and still you tried to take my farm. Negotiations are at an end. Either drop that wand and leave or die."

Morrison saw that Mathew was going to throw magic through steel daggers, the fool he thought, iron and magic don't mix. "You young upstart! You set a trap for us and my son!" Morrison strengthened his shield. Then pointed the wand at Mathew.

Mathew did not hesitate; he already braced himself with a tractor pressor spell before delivering his ultimatum. He released his grip on the Klatha bolts. Pure mana shot out of both daggers hitting Grands Master Morrison shields. They flared as Mathews' spell hit them. Morrison's face went from pure hatred to utter disbelief as they failed and collapsed. Mathews' spell hit Morrison in his chest as the tip of the wand started glowing black. A dull black line of power shot from the tip of the wand hitting Mathew's shield, then stopped as Morrison dropped it. He was thrown backward as two small holes burnt through him and the power of the spell went threw him.

Mathew released the tractor pressor spell that held him to the ground and walked up to Grand Master Morrison. Both Klatha bolts missed his heart but burnt through his lungs. He was not dead but he was slowly suffocating to death. Mathew knelt, reversing the dagger and was about to deal a deathblow when Dorthan called out, "Wait, I need him alive to face the council."

Mathew looked at the dagger, then the mage laying there gasping for breath. He reached back and sheathed one of his daggers, then opened his potion pouch. He pulled out a super heal and looked down on Morrison, sheathing his other dagger and reached over and took the gold chain with his second seat pendant and yanked it off of him. Looking next to Morrison was the assassin wand he picked it up allowing the golden chain to wrap around it. Standing he handed the potion to Grand Master Dorthan, "If you want him alive, you give him the potion.

Grand Master Dorthan quickly knelt and opened the little bottle, lifting Morrison's head slightly he placed the bottle to his lips. Mathew didn't care to watch, he turned and started towards the house.

"Master Lindrose," Grand Master Dorthan called out, pointing with the empty potion bottle, "That wand and his amulet, I need them as evidence."

Mathew looked at the wand and threw it on the ground, "The wand you may borrow spoils of war means it mine." Holding up the amulet, "That potion costs me twenty-four gold. Personally, I don't think he is worth that much, have my uncle deliver me a new potion or the gold and you can have the amulet back. But, only my uncle, no one else. And inform the council, this valley is off-limits to all its members. All deliveries of Dragon Claw will be made through Lindrose Potions from now on." Mathew turned and walked back towards the house.

Grand Master Dorthan watched Mathew embrace his mate then place his hand on Sir Fellis's chest. After a brief conversation between the two, Sir Fellis turned and trotted down the hill as Mathew and his mate went inside the house. He looked up as Master Sexitorius walked up with his granddaughter in tow.

"And interesting way to negotiate Grand Master Dorthan."

Dorthan looked down at Morrison. His gasping, for breath, had quieted down into deeper, normal breath, as the potion slowly took effect. "He knew negotiations were going to fail, he needed this farm in the supply chain to fall in under his edict. He was so sure he could convince everyone that he should head the council in these troubled times. He just needed this one last farm to prove he was right. I did not know he would go this far. I trusted him, and in the end, I endangered my grandson's life."

Sexitorius nodded yes connecting the dots. "He wasn't in any real danger. That shield was the culmination of eastern and western magic. I have only known three men who could throw up shield spells that strong, one so powerful that it turns milky white. All three changed the world with magic. I suspect that the young man will do the same.

Dorthan looked up at Master Sexitorius, "I am hoping and praying that he does. The era of the ware blood mage is ending. A few on the council see it, most are in denial. Ware blood is getting so thin, that the council has lowered its standards to make rank. And we still see lower student enrollment. The council needs to change and start allowing earth mages to enroll."

Sexitorius smiled, "That is why you let an unfretted Grand Master mage walk away from the academy."

"Yes, now it's your time Master Sexitorius, you need to prepare him for what he will need to do. Tiberius's reforms has had its days, now is the time to change it into what you wanted Master Sexitorius. And Master Lindrose will have to be that leader you wished-for."

Master Sexitorius grinned. Then looked down at Morrison, "You need to get him back and in a cell or he will regain access to his power soon." Looking over at Peron, "I would lock him up as well, no telling what those two concocted. If you need a witness at their trial, send a message. It would be a pleasure to hear the council gasp when I walk through the door."

Grand Master Dorthan nodded, "I will." Then he grinned, "I am kind of looking forward to your return to the academy."

Master Sexitorius laughed as he took Maddie's hand and teleported back to Woodshome. Zane helped Grand Master Cooper with the still scrambled Peron to stand next to Morrison and Grand Master Dorthan who held him up to teleport. Then handed Grand Master Dorthan his ironwood walking stick. Looking at it Zane gave Dorthan an inquisitive look but didn't say anything. Then stepping back, he bowed.

Zane watched them teleport home. Interestingly he thought, The first seat knew the negotiations were going to fail yet he tried. Why? He turned and walked towards the house, and that walking stick ironwood was just a name, it didn't have enough iron to drain a mage, but this one had an iron rod down the center. Funny, iron drained mages of power, sort of ground them. Why again. He knocked on the door informing those inside that he was walking in. Felicia was in the kitchen and the door to their shared bedroom was closed, Felicia looked up as he walked into the kitchen, "Your Grandfather and sister leave?"

Zane nodded yes, Felicia smiled, "Mathew wanted some alone time, so that leaves us time to introduce you to some of the other Centaur mainstays of our culinary smorgasbord. While we go over proper greetings, from Herd Master's to mares of different ages."

Mathew sat on his bed replaying the fight over in his mind. He did not think he overreacted, he thought he was just defending his own. He drifted into sleep as his thoughts lingered over the grove. The deep peace of the grove carried him deep into the center of the grove pulling his thoughts deep into the shade. New thoughts touch him deep within his mind, touching parts of Elven legacy. He just barely could discern these thoughts. The trees knew he defended them today. They felt the mana raised and through their roots touching the ley line, they felt him raise the power to defend this place from the dark power. Now his troubled thoughts wandered the grove, it raised its awareness and sought to soothe his troubled mind. IT drew his mind into the cool shade and let the peace and serenity of the grove wash away his troubled thoughts.

"Dar Herd Master, is the older way of saying yes Herd Master I will comply...," Felicia stopped her lecture to Zane as she felt the grove rise in her Lindrose Clairvoyance, pulling Mathews thoughts to the grove. She stopped speaking and just stared, feeling the grove as it was somehow alive.

Zane looked at her, "Felicia, are you ok?"

Her eyes did not focus on him as she spoke, "I feel the oak grove. It's somehow actively sending peaceful thoughts or feelings to Mathew. Is that even possible?"

Zane extended his thoughts and brushed the grove. He could just feel it and smiled. 'Milikki' the groves spirit. For such a young grove to have Milikki is extraordinary, but being that it was magically created and fed on ley line power, I am not surprised."

Felicia looked at him, "You mean our grove is alive somehow?"

Zane laughed, "No, and yes. Some old-growth forests can develop this sort of consciousness or spirit. We elves feel it and can sort of tune in to the forests spirit. It takes thousands of years for the wild magic to sort of turn the forest's basic feelings into this spirit. Old-growth trees sort of extrude a gentle peace. If thousands of said trees are doing the same, the wild magic can turn this into a conscious spirit. Which it shares between trees, if a tree is sick or broke a branch during a storm, this spirit pulls this calming effect and some minor power to help the hurt or sick tree, we elves call it Milikki or the forest spirit."

"Trees do have feelings, basic as it is, but if enough trees feed this wild magic the same thing the spirit can have some limited, self-awareness. Since your grove was started by magic and has been fed magic its whole life it could have become self-aware. This spirit or Milikki can feel, and recognize those that walk among it and protect it. If the groves Milikki recognizes Mathew and you, and if one of you is hurt, it can raise its consciousness and attempt to pass on the peace of the grove to soothe your pain and troubled thoughts.

Felicia looked at Zane in disbelief. Zane laughed, "Don't expect the groves Milikki to talk to you. But the more you interact with the grove, the more likely you will feel its touch. The Milikki does not distinguish you or Mathew from the other trees. It sees you as a natural part of the forest, another tree, that can walk I guess. Grandfather's friend, Master Agrippa might be able to explain it better than me, but to receive some gentle healing from the groves Milikki is a blessed thing."

Mathew woke from his nap. He could not remember falling asleep but he felt better as he swung his legs over the bed and stood up. Looking out the window it was late afternoon. He felt guilty for leaving his guest but after earlier, he needed some time to himself. He found Felicia and Zane in the kitchen with a half a dozen small bowls of five-grain mixes spread out over the kitchen table. Both looked up and smiled, Felicia walked over and kissed him. "Do you feel better after your nap?"

Mathew smiled and ran a hand over his hair to make sure it was down. "Yes I do, thank you."

Felicia grinned and asked, "Are you hungry?" Pointing at all of the small bows on the table, "I sort of went a little overboard introducing Zane to some of the five-grain staples he will be eating at Midvale."

"I say you did. Did you find any you like Zane?"

Zane pointed with a spoon at two bowls, "Yes I am sort of partial to pasta dishes. But this cheese and chicken one is wonderful.

Mathew nodded, "That is one of my favorites as well."

Felicia rolled her eyes, Mathew knew it wasn't one of her favorites since she couldn't open her throat and down it like some of the five-grains, she had to chew it. He sat down and tried a few and listened to them talk. By the time they finished, it was late enough that they had to light a few lamps to clean the kitchen. Zane offered to help but Mathew and Felicia refused his offer and quickly washed and dried the dishes.

Mathew went into the bedroom and pulled down his father's padded sleeping roll. His family had three, one for each of them, and gave it to Zane. "I don't know if you have one, but while you're in Midvale you are going to need one. Seeing his confused look Mathew walked him into his bedroom and laid out a rush mat in Felicia's stall. Then rolled out the padded blanket. "I doubt you will find a regular bed in Midvale, so this is how my family sleeps when we are spending the night at a centaur house." Mathew laid down on it, then rolled the edge of the rush mat to give him a pillow of sorts.

Mathew got up and Zane tried it, "This is, really comfy."

"Yes it is, but after a week or so it gets a little hard, just ask your host for a fresh rush mat."

Mathew then showed him how to hang it up on the stall rails with the sewn-in loops to air it out during the day. Then he took out his panier and started loading it.

"Any otherworldly advice for human, centaur relations?"

Mathew laughed, "Never get into a drinking challenge with a centaur. They can absolutely, out drink anyone under the table. And if one of them offers you a Rye porter, don't drink it. They learned how to manage the mold that can grow on Rye and make a brew that my father said he lost several days."

"Ergot," Zane said, "A nasty little mold that affects most bipedal types, mostly cramps, seizures, fever. But in certain situations hallucinations."

"They treat the infected grain with something and boil it off before adding it to the porter. They brew a similar porter here as well but they grow certain mushrooms on the barrel staves before they cask the beer."

Have you tried it?

Mathew shook his head no saying, "My father once told me magic and magic mushrooms don't mix."

Felicia came in with several cloth bags of food and set then into the panier. "Daddy's mushroom is mild compared to harvest beer. Mama drags all the women inside and locks the door when the stallions pull a keg of it out.

Zane smiled, "Sounds like I should only drink water while I am in Midvale."

Felicia nodded, "That is the safest bet."

They finished packing and moved the leather panniers into the front room. With everything set for the morning, they called it an early night.

Mathew woke when Felicia tried to disengage his arms from her legs. He fell asleep rubbing her cannon and fetlocks, since they could not play with a guest in the house. After visiting the water closet and rolled the sleeping pad up. Since he had room in the water tights paniers, he slipped it into it. With Felicia getting breakfast ready, he went out to the barn. He saddled both horses and strapped in the pack frame to the pony. He hung the bridles off both saddle horns leaving the halters on only so they could eat. He filled the trough with grain and some hay and left them to eat. A quick trip into the drying room for four bottles of Dragon claw powder and a replacement super heal for his pouch, he grabbed a handful of strength boosts for Felicia in case Sir Fellis pushed the group to a faster pace.

"So this is where you dry Draconis Claw?"

Mathew turned to see Zane standing in the doorway. He walked in and was about to touch one of the cotton stringers. "Don't touch them Zane. We hang fresh Dragon Claw root from them to dry. Then leave them up for several months until we are sure the outer enzyme is dry. Only then do we take them down to burn them."

Zane looked at him for an explanation.

"Since the outer part of the root is toxic, and only the inner core has medicinal use. We hang the roots here to dry. The outer skin of the root is poisonous until it is dry. Some of the poison leaches into the stringers. Even though we allow it to dry out some of it is still in the string, if we use the same strings, over and over. Eventually, the enzyme saturates the string enough that the slightest bump could release some of it into the air. To keep that from happening we change strings every drying season. But we have to make sure the enzyme is dry enough to burn off so we let them hang for two months after processing the root."

"And when did the latest batch finish drying?"

"It hasn't, but my Uncle came by and took the latest crop to his private drying room in case the mage council wanted to seize it."

"Was that wise?"

Mathew loaded the bottles of Dragon Claw powder into a padded carry case and shut the potion safe. "I think so, he is family."

Zane walked over and picked up the six strength boosts for Mathew and they both led the horses to in front of the house. Mathew loaded the strength boosts into his mother's potion pouch and slipped them into his saddlebags. Then went out to close up the barn. By the time he was finished Felicia and Zane had loaded the panniers onto the cart horse and had them strapped down. "Thank you, love, and thank you Zane I was just about to do that."

Felicia kissed him, "You're welcome. Breakfast is just about ready, and then we can start to shut down the house, before armoring up and heading to dads."

As she walked in Zane looked at him and winked, "No kiss but your welcome."

Mathew laughed and pushed him towards the house. After breakfast, Felecia helped him shut off the water and drained the cistern. Mathew locked up the magic room after writing his uncle. As he was going in the bedroom to armor up he saw Zane walkout in his armor, carrying his saddlebags. Mathew helped Felicia into her new armor. With a longing rub on her gaskin and a last kiss to her rump, he laid her flank pad down before putting her armor over it. Once she was strapped in he started putting his on. Felicia helped him settle the pauldrons. As he finished up, she carried both helms out.

With a nod from both, he shut the front door and barred it from the inside. A quick blip spell and they were ready to go. Zane had removed the halters and settled their bits. With everything set they headed down to Sir Fellis's place.

Mathew could tell Felicia wanted to run, but she held herself in check knowing the long hours they were going to be on the road. He slipped up beside her and opened his saddlebag pulling a strength boost.

Felicia looked at him, "We are kind of limited on what we have on hand, why don't we save them until we need them?"

"We have enough, and I wrote Uncle Robert this morning asking for another two dozen. I know trotting all day in armor will be demanding. Especially if your father sets a good pace like he did before."

"I don't think he will Mathew, we will have fully loaded wagons. I know two will be loaded with kegs of beer."

"Well if he does, just know we have plenty, no need to tire yourself out on this journey."

She smiled, "I am more worried that I will have to prove myself to Herd Masters. If I can't convince them of my magic, they will force me to stay inside."

Mathew looked down at her, "I will not have my mate forced to stay in a longhouse all day just because she is short. If they say something, magically throw a few rocks at them, if they are too stupid to get the idea, magically pick them up and throw them. You are my mate and a mage. I will not allow them to treat you any differently because of their foolish beliefs about your size."

Zane looked over at Felicia. "I didn't know they discriminated against those with your condition"

Felicia smiled, "It is ok to say 'HGDM' Zane, Mathew won't, but I had already learned to accept the term. Nevertheless, yes, most herds make those afflicted with HGDM stay indoors. Most are pretty sick, in general, have compromised immune systems, or problems walking. There is a bit of shaming that comes with the malady. Not only to the individual with HGDM, but also the family. They seem to forget mother had two healthy normal sons before me, yet all they see is me. Mother and father will never admit it, but I think that is why they moved to Oak Valley after I was born."