C'est La Vie

Story Info
How much would you sacrifice for the people you love?
1.9k words
4.04
12.4k
1
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I cannot wait for this day to end," she thought as she walked through the front door and into her Soho loft.

It was finally the end of a long week -- her first week as an Associate, with an opportunity to make Junior Partner within three years, at Pierce and Partners LLP, one of the fastest growing International Law firms on the East coast. Although she was more than capable of handling the position, she was still a little surprised she had gotten the job. It was the first real job she'd had after law school, since she'd spent the last three years, after graduating from NYU, traveling the world and attempting to find herself, a choice her parents had never been too approving of -- but then again, besides graduating third in her class at the NYU law school, there wasn't much she'd done in her life that they had approved of.

All week, she had worked hard to make a good impression on the Senior Partners. When she'd accepted the job, she'd set her mind on advancing in the firm as quickly as possible. She'd already wasted three years of her life, trying to escape her future. At first, she'd only decided upon law school to gain the approval of her parents, instead of pursuing a career as a foreign correspondent, like she'd always wanted. Now, it was her chance to prove that she could do all the things -- live the life -- her parents had always wanted her to. If nothing else, she had to prove to herself that she could do this. Unfortunately, the one person she needed to impress -- Jacob Pierce, the brain behind the firm, and the reason it was quickly becoming the new firm to beat, not only in New York City, but on the entire East coast. Unfortunately, upon being hired, she'd been informed that although Mr. Pierce was looking forward to meeting with her, he was in Senegal for two weeks, working on one of the firm's high-profile cases.

As usual, the first thing she did when she walked into her apartment was place her keys and purse on the dark mahogany console table in the foyer, before removing her coat and hanging it up in the coat closet. Next, she walked into her bedroom, stopping briefly at her bedside table to press play on her answering machine, before proceeding to the bathroom in order to let her hair down and remove her makeup.

"You have five new message," the automated voice resonated through her previously quiet apartment.

*Beep*

"Jess, it's Jase. I was wondering if you were up for dinner tonight. I know you've had a long week, but I think there's a lot we need to talk about. I asked Amanda to marry me last night....and she said yes! Look, I know you've never really liked her -- and you're my little sister -- you know I really care about what you think. But Jess, I really do love her -- I really want this to work so please come to dinner with us tonight. I need you to do this for me. I have a nine thirty reservation at L'amour -- that French place we ended up at for Mom's birthday, last year.
Anyways, I'm heading home early tonight -- around six or so, I think. I thought I'd surprise Amanda and we'd go out for a celebratory drink before dinner -- so give me a call there if you can't make it tonight. Otherwise, I'll see you tonight, kiddo."
*Beep*

"I cant' believe this!" she fumed as she gently rubbed some moisturizing cream into her skin. "Marriage? To her? What's he thinking? Why is he doing this to me? Oh god, I'm going to have to smile and pretend like nothing's wrong tonight. Why now? This week's been ba--." Her thoughts were cut of when she heard the click of somebody hanging up instead of leaving a message, something that irritated her to no end. "If you're going to wait long enough for the machine to pick up, then the least you could do is leave a message!" she thought, her irritation increasing exponentially when it happened two more times. Finally, after yet another high-pitched beep, the final message played.

" Jessica? Are you there? Um...it's Amanda," said a voice quivering with emotion. "Look, you know I would never ask unless I was desperate, but I need your help. Oh God, Jessica...I really screwed up. I need to talk to Jason, so if you know where he is, I beg you...please, I need to know," the voice continued, breaking down with barely contained sobs. Finally, after a moment of deep breathing, the sobs quieted enough for the message to continue, "I really screwed up. God, I don't think he's going to forgive me for this. But I love him...I really do....I just...oh God, what if he doesn't even listen to me," the voice said trailing off into sobs again. "I know I've never been your favorite person, but I really to talk to him, okay. Please, I would never ask...I just...I need to explain...I freaked out and I didn't even fully realize what I was doing. I mean, it was me, but it wasn't really me...and now I can never take it back. Oh God, what have I done?" the alarm in Amanda's tone of voice rising as the consequences of her actions began to sink in. "I threw away the best thing that ever happened to me!" the voice trailed off once again, giving way to loud choking sobs.

*Beep*

"Someone up there must hate me," she mumbled to herself as she walked out of the bathroom, and back into her tastefully decorated master bedroom, "as if this day hasn't been long enough and now I have to deal with the overemotional psycho." "Okay, maybe that was a little harsh," she thought as she continued towards the phone, and dialing Jason's cell phone number. After waiting for 6 rings, she finally heard the faint click as the line was forwarded to his voicemail.

"Hey, you've reached Jason Brighton. I'm unable to reach the phone right now. Please leave a message after the tone and I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

*Beep*

"Have I ever told you how annoying proper your message is? By the way, you forgot the part where you ask us to leave a name and number", Jessica said with a smile in her voice as she momentarily forgot the reason for her call. "Listen, I just got this message from Amanda and she sounds really upset. Is everything okay? She said she was scared of losing you because of what she did. Jase, she didn't cheat on you did she? I told you she was bad news right from the start," she continued as her anger quickly rose. Realizing what she was saying, Jessica quickly took a deep breath, before continuing, "I'm sorry, I'm just a little worried about you. Are we still on for dinner tonight? I really do think we need to talk, and not just about Amanda. Give me a call when you get this, okay? You know how I get when I'm worried. Bye, Jase."

After hanging up the phone, she stood still for a moment, wondering whether she should give Amanda a call, against her better judgment. She really didn't like to get too involved in her brother's relationships, even though he confided in her often. Amanda, on the other hand, knew that she was not somebody Jessica approved off for her brother, and she tried to steer clear as often as she could, which was why her message had been such a surprise. She must have been really desperate. As she mused over her options, she thought about the message Jason had left her earlier and once again, her gut told her not to give Amanda a call -- whatever had happened between Amanda and her brother had upset Amanda enough, and she didn't know if she would be able to refrain from giving Amanda a piece of her mind after the day she'd had. Also, knowing that if something was really wrong between them, she might upset Jason by speaking to Amanda, she decided to stick to her gut instinct and ignore Amanda's phone call for the time being.

It was only seven o'clock, and she had two hours before she had to leave to meet her brother, and maybe Amanda, for dinner. Although she thought nine thirty was a little late for dinner and drinks, she was glad her brother had thought to make a late reservation, knowing she was already spending long hours at the office. In fact, tonight was the earliest she had gotten home from work since she started, and that was only because it unnerved her to be alone in the office at the end of the day. There was just something about how quiet it was at night, compared to the hustle and bustle that went on during the day, that made her anxious.

She debated her options, trying to figure out what to do. Though it was only the end of her first week at the firm, she was already wondering if she should take a look at the files she had put into her bag at the last minute, thinking she might have a chance to look through it over the weekend. "My life cannot be this depressing already!" she thought to herself, "it's only been a week and I already can't think of anything except whether I should try to get ahead on my next case. Talk about bringing your work home. Okay, screw that. I may be alone, but I am not lonely enough to throw myself into my work, out of desperation. It's Friday night, and it's the first time in a week I've had a moment to relax, and I'll be damned if I don't make use of it."

After making up her mind to relax, she moved back into the bathroom, and began to draw a bath, adding a large measure of bath oils, to create the heavenly, lavender scented bubbles that she loved to play with as she soaked the tension out of her body. As she stripped off her clothes, she wondered when the last time was that she had taken the time to just take a long bath. It had been so long, she doubted she'd had one since before her pursuing her undergraduate degree in journalism at NYU. By the time she was fully naked and had pinned her hair up, in order to keep it dry while she soaked, the tub was half full and she gasped as she stepped into it. The water was just short of scalding hot, just as she loved it. She slowly eased herself into a half sitting, half lying position and rested her neck against the back of the tub.

She was in heaven.

But after a few moments of doing nothing, she wished she had brought a book or magazine with her so she'd have something to do. Five minutes later, she was itching to do something -- anything. She was so used to having something to do at all hours of the day -- even as she waited to fall asleep, she made a mental to do list for the next day -- that she had no idea what to do with herself as she attempted to relax. With a frustrated growl, she relax her body some more and closed her eyes, trying to clear he mind of all thoughts. Within a few minutes, she had calmed her mind enough to fall into a light sleep, and soon she was dreaming.

Unfortunately, like most of the times she fell asleep during the past year, she relived the worst day of her life in her dreams.