Champion of the Goddess Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Raven thought back, "My job is to teach players but I am teaching from the back on this one."

Raven caught up with Fingers and Coral. He listened as he pulled up. "Pull off. Right side. Into the trees."

They pulled off and dismounted, "Set a rock on or a log on the reigns. Nothing to hold your pony or horse down if it needs to run." Coral looked at him, "What is going on?"

Raven smiled and closed his eyes. "What do you hear? What do you smell?"

Coral thought, "Myssara is this normal?"

Myssara thought back, "He has picked up things in the air before or heard something in previous character lives. Try asking him or doing what he asks. You have free will."

Coral sighed, "I hear nothing. I smell...what is that smell? It is barely there."

Raven nodded, "Smoke and death. You two are stealthy. One on each side scout the road ahead from the woods on foot. I will wait here and flag down the caravan if it gets here before you return. It is coming from down the road. We need to get more riders mounted potentially. I will go back if needed and see what Ginger wants to do when you figure out what is ahead."

Fingers looked at Korrok, "The winds are slightly from the other side of the road."

Raven nodded, "Yes Fingers. Good catch. But sometimes the bait is to get you to fight on their ground and then hit you from behind. That is why you have to check both sides."

Fingers nodded, "It was only barely perceptible."

Raven nodded, "The absence of sound means woodland creatures have moved off, or they are staying quiet for a predator. Either way, it means something is out there. We have to determine what. Scouting is more than looking for what is out there. It is looking for what is missing as well as what is different. The Goddess gave you 5 senses and intuition. You have to use them all at different times."

Fingers nodded and went to the other side of the road. Coral looked at him, "Damned you are really good at this. I will be back."

---

Fingers got another half-mile down the road and saw the remains of another caravan or caravans on his side. A pen holding some horses and ponies in them. No signs of anyone here. He looked across the way and saw a large cave. He edged closer to the road and looked at the damage and the tracks. He saw a footprint that was almost 12 feet long. His heart started racing as he moved back into the woods and headed back to Korrok."

---

Coral made it down and spotted the wagons, some in disrepair. Some still had cargo crates. She thought out, "Damned he was right. Bait on the left." She spotted the cave and her vision let her see further into it. She edged forward enough to see its foot. She saw the giant sitting there eating. It's one-eye on the trap. She slid back quietly and then worked quietly but quickly to get back to Korrok.

---

They both arrived back at Korrok and he listened to Fingers first and then Coral. She sighed, "Major encounter. A damned cyclops. I saw its leg and its one eye staring at its prize across the way."

Raven looked at her, "He did not spot you? You saw its leg. About the size of the Cave, height-wise. Tell me about the details."

She sighed and thought back. "It has some sort of fur-covered pants. The cave opening was. The foot looked 10-12 feet tall. That cave is a good 50 feet tall, if not taller."

Raven nodded. "He waits for us. You were both spotted. Cyclopes have high perception. Ones that leave a 12-foot long footprint. You are talking about a great cyclops. Did you see anything on its head?"

She sighed, "Looked like some kind of fur-covered band, bald head, and a horn in the band."

Raven shook his head, "No not in the band. In its head. That is a great cyclops. That is an epic battle ahead. Stay off the road and in the woods. They are your friends but only to a point."

Raven road back and though to Myssara, "A fucking great cyclops. This is a first for second level characters. This thing is a level on its own if we survive it."

She chuckled, "You have a great memory for monsters. You get them to survive this and I will be impressed. It is possible. You get Ginger to do it and it will be bonus XP for every one that survives."

He caught up to the caravan and brought it to a halt as he rode past Ginger and went straight to Zira. Ginger came over, "What did you find?"

Raven sighed, "Massive amounts of wagons, horses, ponies, and cargo off to the left. A 50-foot tall cave off to the right. With a 12-foot long footprint in the road. Home to a fucking great cyclops. You are talking about a 30-40 foot tall giant."

Ginger sighed, "This will be epic. Do you have any experience with them?"

Raven nodded, "Yes. Clans would send 30 warriors against such creatures and if they were lucky half would return. Very tough hides. Perception is outstanding. One eye, strength, and weakness. Those scouts were spotted. It is waiting for us to attack or make a move on the trap, the horses, and such across the way. No going around it short of going back to the previous inn and taking another road."

Zira cursed, "That is why that third wagon is so valuable. Others likely did not get through because of this monster."

Ginger looked at her, "What is in the third wagon?"

Zira sighed, "Three ballistas, some assembly required. Also a hundred rounds of ammunition for each."

Ginger smiled, "Up for playing Bait, lover?"

Raven sighed, "What is your plan? I think one of the rogues would be better bait. They have already been seen. You got someone better with bows than me?"

She sighed, "We set up two in the woods targeted toward the crossroad. You on one, I will man the other. Put Monna and Claire on the third one up the road on the road further away. Send in a Rogue across the way to try and get the horses out. The bait to pull him into the crossfire. Claire has that wand of fireballs."

Raven nodded, "Those wagons probably have more of them in them. We need to build a barricade across the road for the one on the road. It can and will throw rocks. It will need the cover. We need to put them at least 50 feet into the woods with a clean line of sight but the trees are thick enough to impede its movement and our ability to shoot it. 50 feet walking speed. Reach of half of its height, when it is down we keep shooting it."

Ginger sighed. "This will take time to set up."

Zira nodded, "I will get my drivers working on this barricade. Raven nodded, "That has to be the first one to fire. The timing has to be damned near perfect."

Ginger sighed, "Get the 2 scouts. You will man the one on the road. Use your raven to watch it coming out. You will help to get them all in position. You need a spotter and you can do that with your given abilities."

Raven nodded, "This is your plan?"

Ginger nodded, "This is epic and we will need the party to know what we face and what we have in the arsenal." Raven turned his horse and rode back to the two scouts.

Raven whispered, "Mount up."

They rode back to the group as they saw people working. Coral looked at them, "What is going on?"

Ginger sighed, "I have come up with a plan. I changed it slightly. I want all 3 of them up here at different positions. The trees and line of sight in the woods would be a problem. Spread out by a good 20-40 feet with one closer and one further back from the one in the middle.

Closer to the edges. The one in the center will be the main target. I will man one to the right. Mona the one to the left. Korrok will take the one in the middle, or should I say Raven will."

The halflings and the 4 caravan drivers all looked shocked at that revelation.

Ginger looked over, "When we call it Fingers, you are going to make a move to get those horses. The giant wants them for his trap and will come after you. You are to get into the Pen or the woods beyond it, not the horses. Drawing him out onto the road. Raven will call out when to fire."

Raven nodded, "Will sight all 3 of them. They will all need to fire. We have to hit with 1. We hope to hit with all 3. I will be looking through my Raven's eyes while doing this. I will fire the 1 in the middle on the first shot. Vicor will fire after that as I move to the bow.

Once he is in the crossroads, Claire will fireball him using that wand. From one of the sides further back. Then she will scurry into the woods as those are off to the side. Cast spells from the woods.

At least 50 to 100 feet back if possible. We need fighters and paladins to crank it back. Coral and Viola to reload the two off to the side. I will be firing my bow. It will take a few seconds to figure out which target he will take out. When and if he starts coming up the road. Free the other horses, 2 at a time.

Anything to give him pause to let us reload. The barricades will help to protect the ballistas as he will throw rocks or come running forward. We need to try and set an intercept point. That means moving the back of the ballistas. To a spot marked with a letter. The 'A' location is the crossroads. 'B' will be about half-way toward us and in the middle. We will mark the road with a symbol. If you are reloaded, then fire. He comes up the side and you will have to play it by ear. If it is your side then set it to fire straight down the road.

After he starts coming toward us, Fingers, you release the two horses yell out, "Thank you, you stupid one-eyed freak for the horses.' Taunt him. See if it gives him pause to stop. Giving us more time to reload. Get into the woods regardless. He will likely see the two freed horses. If he turns to look back it buys us time. Viola, I want you on the same side as Claire. You get injured, get to that side of the road. Did you find any healing wands?"

Viola nodded, "We found one with 12 charges in the bag of holding. We gave it to Splints but I took it back. Another with 4 and Ginger has that one. If you cannot get to me, get to her on the other side."

They spent 3 hours setting everything up and brought down a few trees to build the barricades. Ginger coordinated it all. Raven figured out the half-way point and marked the symbol on the road.

Then he went back and helped to get them all assembled. He ensured some barricades were bigger and some smaller. Ginger did not ask why the size difference. He looked at Ginger, "One contingency we have not looked at yet."

Ginger thought, "What if he does not come out and lets him take the horses."

Raven nodded, "True, also if he retreats to the cave." She nodded, Bows from the forest into the cave if he retreats if he does not come out. A fireball into the cave as well. I doubt that will be the case. Have the halfling take all of the horses and bring them toward us in the woods. If he needs an incentive to move. He will take his spare food."

Raven nodded, "Your call. Inform everyone."

Ginger smiled, "Thanks for trying to stay hidden and setting up the angels."

He gave everyone a quick tutorial on using a ballista. Ginger got Zira to remove her wagon teams and get her people into the woods. They were set and he summoned up his raven with smokey eyes and set him down the left side in the woods and looked to the cave from across the way.

Fingers got to the horse pen and the Giant got up and started running across. Raven called out, "Now!" As he pulled the rope to the one he was on. The giant hit the intersection and got hit in the side by 2 out of 3 ballistas and knocked it off its feet.

One failed to fire, the rope came undone. Rave returned his bird toward him as the others went cranking the fireball went off on ole one-eye. Claire took off into the woods. Raven fired his bow with a standard arrow and hit him in the leg. The cyclops got to his feet as the third one fired and caught him in the stomach.

The giant picked up a rock from a bag it carried and threw it at the one toward the left and smashed the barricade on it. They had to move the ballista back to be usable. It pulled out another rock and aimed at the one at the right and it went long. Raven had planned for that to be the case.

It gave the illusion of being at the same distance as the other one, throwing off the cyclops' depth perception. Something he knew how to do from his gaming days. They were both reloaded. Raven reached and picked up the base of the one in the middle and lifted it and looked forward. "Fire!"

The one from the side caught it in the shoulder of its throwing arm. His shot that Vicor released shot the giant in the groin and it roared out as it's other 'sack and club' got ripped off by the shot at the 'root.' Raven set it back down as the giant fell to its knees trying to stem the flow of blood from its missing family jewels.

The third ballista fired from Monna and she shot it right in the eye from that location as he was now on his knees. It fell backward "Raven called out, "Adjust the height to fire downward more. Assume nothing yet." He fired another arrow downrange into the Giant's hand, the one still holding his lost family jewels as the other hand went to its face when it fell.

Ginger called out, "Paladins on bows others work the ballistas!" Fingers came up the side riding one pony bareback and had the others with him. Claire helped with the horses. They took their time as it was down and he lined up the shots for all 3 of them before they all fired in between his spread legs.

Thus ensuring it was dead. His hunter's eye showed it no longer had a pumping heart. A few injuries over on Monna's side from wood splinters from the barricade but they managed to survive.

He thought to Myssara, "Thoughts of my apprentices' use of resources?"

He heard Myssara laughing, "She chose the right time to play the 'Raven trump card.' That was a hell of a shot. You used your 'hunter's eye' with a fucking ballista! I could not have predicted that but you did not go full bore.

You let her set up the plan and strategy. You trained them on your knowledge of siege weapons even. She picked up some in the army as well, but it helped the others. I loved her plan and her listening to your coaxing about the best place to use you."

---

Coral shook her head and thought, "Mother, does he do this shit all the time?!"

Mother laughed, "Often enough. Yet in this case, he left most of it to Ginger." Mother sent her the dragon attack from swinging in on a rope encounter. Followed by the 2 level-20 battles to demonstrate truly unloading.

Coral shook her head and walked over, "Your children are going to have tremendous shoes to fill."

He pointed at Ginger, "This was her plan."

Myssara sent Coral all of the failures that Ginger had as Ersa before Raven joined them. So she could see just how much she had improved.

Coral nodded, "Yes, but you trained her to succeed. Ginger outstanding job. The big thing that shocked me was he missed the second barricade."

Raven chuckled, "That was something I did to aid us. They can judge things off of height. Say a human, they know roughly how tall they are and they use that to factor the depth perception with only one-eye. By setting the 3 walls to look like they were at the same height and distance. He aimed at the same distance.

Which forced him to aim further out because of the height difference in the wall. How they target with only one-eye. Once he had range on one he assumed he had the range for all 3. No telling if he would target the same one again or a different one. I could not predict how well it would work, but I had done it before."

Coral looked at him, "What did you do by lifting the ballista like that and having Vicor fire it while you held it?"

Raven nodded, "Different champions gain different abilities. You know how I could look at you and tell you how many children you carry, down to the sex? I have one that is more active, called a hunter's eye. It lets me see them in layers.

I could target a kidney, work to avoid ribs while targeting the heart, eyes, or in this case, his family jewels and his 'beam' as it would appear to my eyes. It was a critical groin shot, followed by another from Monna in the eye. Then I aligned all the targeting so all three bolts went to the same location to ensure he was dead.

Based on movement I believe Monna's 'eyeshot', was likely the kill shot, which cost us money. It would have been if we just let him bleed out. We ensured he was down for good before even looking to move in close. I can tell you the heart is not beating now and it was before. They have a diehard ability."

Monna asked, "How did that shot cost us money?"

Ginger laughed, "The other part they do not teach. We will take the head back for a bounty. The eye of a great cyclops, undamaged, likey is worth a lot of money to an alchemist. We will also strip the hide off. Giant hide armor."

Zira sighed, "That will take time."

Raven nodded, "Yes, but he is blocking the road and you got 2-3 caravans' worth of supplies to look to salvage as well while we chop up that corpse to get the road cleared. That is money in all of our pockets. You have the horses for them. Plus we have to repack these ballistas onto wagon 3."

Zira nodded, "Alright. I see your point."

Ginger looked at Coral and Fingers and pointed at them, "Where should you be?"

Coral smiled, "Searching his layer for traps and treasure. Vicor comes, in case we need muscle to haul stuff out."

---

They spent the rest of the day putting together 4 more wagons, with 5 more ballistas and other assorted gear. Then Raven hooked up one wagon with no walls and used ropes and the trees like pulleys to get the cyclops head onto a wagon by himself. They put two extra horses on that wagon.

They pulled the extra wheels from broken wagons and tied them onto the back of it all. They found extra ballista ammunition and restocked what they used. The Ballista itself had been destroyed in that crate. They salted and skinned the giant skin and cut off his feet to go with it.

Along with his family jewels, what they could salvage from them as it was wrapped up in a couple of dead horse hides from the cave. Myssara was not nice enough to give them a portable hole at this location. She knew better now as to what they would do. They still took plenty.

---

That evening happened to be a quiet guard shift as everyone made level 3 and were half-way to level 4 because it was Ginger's plan and not Raven's plan. She brought Raven to the Sanctum and had Mother, Ravanna, Myssara, Coral, and his ladies all present.

Ravanna looked at it all and hugged Ersa. She smiled, "Your plan rocked for that encounter. Still Raven threw a few surprises in the mix without unloading. The optical illusion on a cyclops he remembered.

I looked over his life and he did that before when he was a player who was gaming. Had some humans who were enlarged and some who were not with walls at different heights to deal with a tribe of them. The casters and siege weapons won that fight, but that fucked with their depth perception and was a much higher level campaign he ran. His hunter's eye with a ballista was shocking, to say the least. Very creative father."

Ersa smiled, "Nothing like the dragon on a rope."

Coral chuckled, "Mother sent me that after I asked some questions about champions doing this kind of stuff. You shocked us, but you did not unload. She showed me the 2 level-20 fights, one where you did not unload, and one where you did. I was shocked, to say the least. She told me that was when she squashed the idea of gestalts on other worlds."

Raven laughed loudly, "For now. What are those champions going to develop over the years as they gain power? Some might require going gestalt with the more power they obtain. I just may have obtained it faster because of my mix. Things she has not considered yet from the shocked look on her face."