Champions Vol. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Priest Philotheos, it is good to see you again," Sapphire greeted him pleasantly.

Laurena jumped at the name. This was the Senior Priest of Calavius, and also the historian that she was supposed to meet with. She suddenly felt self-conscious about her appearance. She had wanted to cleanse herself after their travel, check her hair, smarten her robes, and do so many other small things before meeting another member of the clergy as the new Champion of Eros.

Unaware of her nervousness Philotheos returned Sapphire's greeting, "And you as well, Sapphire. You have returned a bit early, we did not expect you back for another month."

"My plans changed. Some things happened in Wolfsvale and it became necessary for me to escort these two here," she explained.

Philotheos' eyebrows rose in surprise at what she said, and also at what her words did not say. He decided to set aside his concern for the moment. He was well aware of both Sapphire's determined quest to find her father's killers, and also the strength of Astinus' character. Whatever had occurred in Wolfsvale was certainly already well in hand, and he would wait until she was ready to share the particulars with him.

Turning from the Dracian trader he took in her companions. Philotheos was stunned at the size and odd appearance of David. His clothing was covered with an odd pattern, and he was wearing what appeared to be some sort of soft armor, with many pockets and pouches stuffed full of the most unusual items. He was also the tallest man the old priest had ever seen, and he appeared even larger sitting astride a massive horse. The beast seemed more suited to pulling a heavy plow than being mounted by such a giant. Realizing he was staring, Philotheos shifted his gaze to the young woman he had addressed earlier.

From her acolyte robes he assumed that she was Laurena, which would explain her familiarity with the Great Temple. He had received word she was coming, and had expected her arrival over a week ago. Considering that she arrived with Sapphire it might explain the Dracian's previous comment. He smiled kindly at the acolyte, pleased both with her arrival and with her obvious beauty.

Climbing down from her horse, Sapphire walked forward and shook the Senior Priests hand. Turning, she introduced her companions after they too had dismounted.

"Priest Philotheos, I would like to introduce David, he is a soldier from a distant land here to help us," she explained with a smile and a wink at David. He had admonished them both about exposing his identity as Eros' Champion when they were in Exitibus, before they had learned the truth. Now that they knew Laurena was actually Eros' Champion, and that he was in fact The Creator's Champion, he had asked that they not reveal that knowledge or the information about his weapons to anyone. Both were powerful secrets, and could be used to change the outcome of a battle against an unaware enemy.

Stepping forward, David moved to shake the old priests hand as well. But Philotheos slid his hand further forward and clasped his forearm instead.

"I have read this is how warriors in distant lands greet one another," the historian explained.

David smiled and returned the forearm clasp. He was surprised at the power in the priest's arms. Obviously paintbrushes were not the only thing that Philotheos exercised with.

Stepping to the side, David made room for Laurena to greet the priest. Moving forward Laurena reached to shake his hand as Sapphire had done, but she paused at the look of shock and wonder that suddenly appeared on the Senior Priest's face.

"Eros..." Philotheos whispered, his rapidly misting eyes locked on the pendant hanging from Laurena's neck. It was the magical sarcophagus which housed their god's last Champion, something he had dreamed of seeing for two decades. "After all this time, you have finally come..."

* * *

"We need to find you passage to Isle of Eirini immediately," Philotheos determined words echoed in the silent office.

Once he had recovered from his shock, the priest had taken them directly to the stables and sent a runner to the temple for the other two clergy members to come quickly. Turning their mounts over to the care of the stable hand, Philotheos had ushered them into his office leaving instructions behind with the man to give to the junior priest and priestess when he was finished with the horses.

Once he had the trio seated, each with a cup of tea that he insisted they take, he had pulled a quill, ink bottle, and stack of parchment and bade them tell their tale.

Laurena began their story with her departure from The Great Temple. She spoke of her travels through southern Erosius and into the Abatinus Mountains. When she reached the part where David rescued her she paused, uncertain how to describe the events without discussing his secrets.

Here David interjected, taking up the story and explaining that where he came from they had powerful magic, and he used it to stop the bandits. Philotheos shot him a speculative look at this paltry description, but David returned the look with a hard stare. The old priest chose to set aside his historian's desire for accuracy for the moment, and accepted that there were some things which these three simply would not explain right now. He would try again later.

Resuming the story, Laurena described their travels to Wolfsvale, and gave the priest an edited version of what transpired there. Sapphire gave her a thankful look while Philotheos was busy scratching away at his parchment, and the Champion of Eros returned it with a smile. Continuing the story, Laurena described their days on the road to Exitibus, mentioning their discussions of faith and love, but leaving out their discovery of David's power.

Sapphire took up the tale in Exitibus, describing the state of the city and the death of its senior priest. Hearing this Philotheos paused in his note-taking. He had known Pelagios by reputation, and was surprised and saddened to hear of his death. Next she told him of her and David's search for information, and the attacks that occurred. She was careful to describe David's efforts as a "mysterious magic" that was resistant to their enemies defensive spells. This announcement was met with a great deal of concern by the historian, as he knew quite well how powerful Sapphire was, and the idea that David had some type of magic that was stronger was shocking.

Equally shocking was the report of such violence itself, and Philotheos stopped their story and jotted a quick note on a fresh sheet of parchment. The young priestess in Exitibus obviously needed help from The Inquisitors, and he could not believe they were still absent. They could not possibly be that busy, there was one wandering about in this very city doing nothing at the moment!

Finishing the note, he bade them continue their tale, and David chose to take over the telling. He cautiously described their flight from Exitibus, and explained their time in the woods as 'defensive training'. Again Philotheos could tell that the warrior was holding something back, but by now he had figured out that whatever powers the man had he was extremely secretive about them.

David described their trip to the Field of Woe, glossing over their battle as a 'minor altercation with the locals'. Laurena shot him a shocked look at his gross understatement, but Sapphire kicked her in the shin to distract her before Philotheos could take note of it. The soldier went on to describe their meeting with Eros, but begged off talking about the conversation.

"I believe that the new Champion should be the one to speak of her conversation with your god," David explained.

Philotheos gave him a concerned look at the words 'your god'. That this man did not claim any allegiance to Eros was as troubling as his secrecy. Deciding that he would have to insist on a more thorough conversation with this mysterious stranger who would travel with the Champion of his god, Philotheos returned his attention to Laurena with a smile.

The Champion of Eros took up the story, describing her conversation with their god. She repeated her deity's words as precisely as possible, and emphasized the importance Eros placed on David and Sapphire remaining at her side. Philotheos insisted that she tell him of the entire meeting a second time, in great detail, having her repeat herself a few times as he furiously took notes. This was the first sighting of Eros in two decades, and many would want to hear what their god had said. Finally, Laurena drew their story to a close, explaining that their trip from the Field of Woe to Calavius was uneventful, and that he was the first person they spoke with in the city.

After their story was complete, the Senior Priest had sat back in his chair and reflected on all he had learned. That was when he had made his proclamation that they must hasten to the island sanctuary of Eirini, where the Tomb of the Fallen resided.

"I agree Priest Philotheos," Sapphire responded, "but are there any ships currently in port that can be trusted with such a task?"

The priest considered her question, for she had an excellent point. A simple merchant vessel would not be enough for such an undertaking. They would need a fast ship, with a devout crew and strong fighters. Rumors of conflict in the western isles had reached the port in the last few months, and while none had been confirmed, the voyage these three must take would have them traveling close to where the stories of unrest originated. Considering the ships he knew were in port, there were no good choices available, and few that were even barely acceptable.

His moment of reflection was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Excuse me," Philotheos apologized for the interruption, "but I believe that may be for me."

Rising from his chair, the priest went to the door and opened it, speaking softly to a woman on the other side.

"Really?!" he exclaimed. "This is wonderful; a truly auspicious event, and proof that Eros has blessed us. Please, bring Captain Epaphras to us at once!"

Turning back from the door Philotheos grinned at his guests. "Charis just informed me that a dear friend, Captain Epaphras, and his crew are here to attend worship service. I did not expect them back in port for another two weeks! His ship is a perfect choice for your mission, and a more trustworthy captain could not be found."

David returned Sapphire's happy smile at their good fortune. Things were finally going their way!

"Excuse me, Priest Philotheos," Laurena interrupted.

"Please, just Philotheos my dear," he bade her with a smile. "Titles are not necessary, unless you wish me to call you Champion every time we speak? I remember how much Ophelia hated that."

"Certainly...Philotheos," Laurena amended. She would need to not only get used to no longer being an acolyte, but now being the highest member in the Erosian faith.

"You had a question," he reminded her.

"Oh...sorry. Did you say that Priestess Charis was here?" she inquired of him.

"Yes, she is. She started two winters ago. I imagine you know her from the acolyte academy?" the old priest inquired with a smile.

Laurena nodded, returning his smile. Charis had been in her original acolyte class, and consistently competed with Laurena for the top rank each spring. She was an unusual looking girl growing up, but had blossomed into a unique beauty around the same time that Laurena did.

"It has been many winters since I finished my education at the Great Temple, but I still remember all of the priests and priestesses that graduated with me," Philotheos reminisced. "Of course, at my age only a handful of them are still with the clergy," he joked.

The trio smiled politely at his attempted humor, but they were spared from having to comment by a knock at the door.

As Philotheos had not moved more than a few steps from the door since Charis left, he simply reached over and opened the door again. Standing there was a man in his late forties, five feet eight inches tall, with light brown hair, and skin that was deeply tanned from constant sun exposure. His clothing was obviously well made, but also functional. He was smiling broadly at Philotheos, and he moved forward quickly to hug the old priest, giving him a few exuberant smacks to the back in greeting. Witnessing the power in those friendly strikes, David had a sudden suspicion of why the old man was in such good shape, it was necessary for his survival!

Looking past the happy friends David got his first look at Charis, and he was stunned by her appearance. His first thought was that she was an albino! Upon closer inspection he realized she was just extremely fair haired and fair skinned. At five feet six inches the priestess was slightly above the average height for an Erosian woman, but where Laurena's body was lush and curvy, and Sapphire's was petite and shapely, Charis was...willowy? Perhaps lithe was a better descriptor. David doubted she weighed a full hundred pounds, and her modest hips and small breasts emphasized her slight frame. Her skin was so pale it was almost white, and her hair was such a light blonde it appeared silvery, but it was her eyes that truly mesmerized him. They were the purest shade of silver he had ever seen, and they also had a hint of almond-shape to them. Once he was able to break their hypnotic spell, he took in her elegant beauty and the warm smile on her face. She was certainly a very unique looking woman, but that uniqueness only enhanced her beauty. David could easily imagine droves of men flocking to the temple to fall in love with this woman.

As she entered the room behind the man he assumed was Captain Epaphras she nodded in greeting to David and Sapphire, but her warm smile spread into a large grin when she caught sight of Laurena. With a girlish giggle she rushed to the former acolyte and pulled her into a breath-stealing hug. David was actually a little impressed; he was surprised that Charis was able to pack such a powerful hug into such a slight frame.

"I am so glad you finally made it, Laurena," Charis exclaimed happily.

"I did not realize you were assigned here, Charis," Laurena replied with equal delight.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Charis giggled. "I have been so excited ever since I learned you were coming here. As much as I love being a priestess here in Calavius I have deeply missed everyone from our class. I am so happy you are here, and for a full six months!"

"Oh, Charis," Laurena said with a bit of sadness now in her voice, "about that..."

"What is it?" Charis asked nervously, pulling back to arms length in order to look at Laurena fully. "Are you not staying all six months?"

"Sadly, my dear," Philotheos interrupted, "she will not even be staying six days."

Charis shot him a look of dismay at the announcement, and seemed ready to argue on her friend's behalf. However, the Senior Priest raised a calming hand to stay her words and continued his declaration.

"Laurena has a much more important mission now, and that is the reason for the tasks I assigned to you and Priest Onesiphoros, and also why I asked you to bring Captain Epaphras here," he explained.

"Oh ho!" Epaphras interjected jovially. "I barely step from my ship and scour the salt from my hair and you already have a job for me. No rest for the pious anymore."

"You are certainly free to decline, old friend-" Philotheos began, but was quickly interrupted by the captain snorting, "Old! My crusty left testicle oh 'ancient one'."

Smiling at his friends jibe, the priest continued, "However, if your crew were to ever learn of your refusal they would likely mutiny."

Epaphras snorted at Philotheos' exaggeration. Like himself, every single man and woman on his crew was a devout Erosian, and as such they lived, worked, and loved one another as though family. They would never even consider mutiny.

"And what is oh so important that you think my crew would happily return to a ship they just spent the last four months aboard rather than remain in this lovely city of yours for the two weeks that I promised them?" the captain inquired sarcastically.

"The new Champion of Eros needs an escort," Philotheos stated with a smirk.

Charis too was stunned, and began to look back and forth between David and Sapphire, trying to determine which one it was. Seeing her confusion, Sapphire subtly tilted her head toward Laurena, who was still clasped to the shocked priestess in a loose embrace. Charis looked back to Laurena, and considered her friend. The gorgeous, curvy blonde -- while certainly popular -- had always struggled with her weak magical ability. She was the last person that Charis would have guessed to be the next Champion. Yet, in looking at her friend, she saw past the nervous look in her eyes to the growing strength there. Something had changed the formerly self-involved acolyte, and she was obviously the better for it. The second hug that Charis pulled Laurena into was more than twice as powerful as the first.

Meanwhile, Captain Epaphras' jaw hung open, stunned into silence. His open mouth and flabbergasted expression indicating quite clearly that he never imagined such a request.

"Surprise," David said sarcastically.

Sapphire promptly slapped him on the back of the head with a scowl.

*** Chapter 8: The Inquisitor and the Inquiry ***

191720APR13 DW

Calavius, Erosius

Once Captain Epaphras recovered from his shock, and Charis released Laurena...and David rubbed the sting from his abused head...the six of them sat down and planned the coming voyage. The captain wished to begin preparations immediately, assuring them that his entire crew would happily forgo that night's worship service in order to get their ship, the Sophia, ready as quickly as possible. Philotheos was prepared to agree, but Laurena refused immediately. She insisted that he and his crew worship at the temple that night, so that everyone could begin the journey refreshed in both body and spirit.

In return the priest insisted that Laurena should attend so that he could both announce that Eros had finally selected a new Champion and also introduce her. Laurena was very excited at the idea of her first service as the Champion of Eros. She was accustomed to being the focus of attention at worship, but was looking forward to how much more enjoyable it might be now that she was a Champion.

Sapphire was intrigued by the idea of attending, and wanted to support her friend, but David insisted that he had no desire to 'perform in public again'. Considering that their plan now was to leave port the day after next, he suggested they begin searching for Galen. Sapphire agreed to the compromise.

Overhearing their plans, Philotheos suggested that the pair start by talking to the Inquisitor that was in town. He had investigated a series of crimes in Calavius last summer, making a number of arrests and detentions, and was still looking for one man that fled. The priest asked them to relate the events that occurred in Exitibus to the Inquisitor as well, as they may be linked to his investigation. Even if they were not, he would still need to investigate the unrest in that city, and the more information he had the better.

At Philotheos request Charis gathered the pair, and escorted them from the office to a room in the temple's guest quarters, knocking firmly on the door when they arrived. A few moments later a masculine voice inquired from within, "Yes?"

"It is Charis, Inquisitor Themistokles," the priestess announced. "I have two people here with questions about a man that arrived in Calavius nearly seven seasons ago. They also bring word of a disturbance and deaths in Exitibus."

They heard loud swearing from the other side of the door, and hurried footfalls approached them. The door was yanked open forcefully, and a concerned face rapidly asked, "What happened? Who died? What did that idiot Pelagios do now?"

1...45678...33