Changed Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
a_koozie
a_koozie
258 Followers

Karen gave a start, her eyes wide, "How did I save his life?"

"When wolves withdraw like that, there is something wrong with the connection between their human side and the wolf side. When that happens, it's only a matter of time before the wolf will rise up and take over, turning them rogue. Charlie has been in that funk for 15 years. We think the only reason he didn't surrender was because of Abby. You helping him reconnect saved him from going rogue."

Karen simply nodded, the full weight of what had just transpired settling on her shoulders. They cleaned up their plates in silence, Karen deep in thought. She blinked in surprise when they walked outside to the sun low in the horizon.

"How long were we in there?" she asked

"Pretty much all day," Theo said with a smile, gently draping his arm around her shoulders to hold her tight. "The meet-and-greet took up most of the time, and your time with Charlie was a couple of hours,"

"WHAT?!" she cried "I was only with him for like, 15 minutes!"

Theo chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "No Lass, you were with him for like, 2 hours. Your powers must have warped your sense of time."

Karen nodded but quickly stopped, a grimace crossing her face. A pounding headache had started up behind her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Theo asked, worry written all over his face.

"Yeah," she said softly, gently rubbing her temple with a couple fingers "I've just got a really bad headache all of a sudden"

Theo nodded and turned them back towards his house. The walk was slow, Karen's head visibly moving with each throb in her skull. Growling softly, Theo quickly swept her up in his arms and quickened his pace.

"I can walk, Theo," She said weakly, even as one of her arms hooked around his neck and she snuggled into his warmth.

"I know," he said roughly, "But it makes me feel better to carry you,"

Karen just sighed and tried to fight through the ungodly throbbing. Within minutes, Theo was gently laying her down on his big bed. She blurred in and out of consciousness. She was in the bed, then there was a cool damp cloth on her forehead, then all the light was extinguished and a fan was turned on. She felt a pair of soft lips on hers, and she weakly reached out to keep their owner with her. Theo rumbled softly, gently grabbing her hand and kissing each of her fingers.

"Brett's called the meeting, I have to go," he said softly, displeasure lacing his words "Relax, sleep, you're having a migraine, probably from using your powers. I will be back as soon as this is over okay?

Karen just mumbled incoherently, already drifting off, her body shutting down to deal with the exorbitant amount of power that she used.

Theo stayed until her breathing evened out and she was fast asleep. He gently kissed her forehead before turning and heading back over to the cafeteria. The whole pack was gathered around a small stage that had been set up. On it stood Brett, and when Theo walked in, he motioned him to join him on the stage. Taking a deep breath, Theo made his way next to Brett and looked out over the gathering of the whole pack.

"This meeting is to schedule the challenges for Theo's spot as Lead Beta and my Second. As you all know, Theo messed up big time when his wolf attacked his mate. Theo has completed his menial work tasks to reaffirm his bond with the Thetas. This is the final step in his punishment. He must prove himself to the Pack and to myself that he is indeed capable of holding his position. Those who wish to challenge him, please step forward." Brett's deep voice carried over the silent pack, the only movements were people shuffling in their seats. Slowly, Bruin was the first to stand and approach the stage.

"I wish to Challenge Theo, though not for his position," the crowd broke into a murmur "But because he has failed his pack with is actions,"

Brett nodded at the strange request, challenges were always about wolves moving up the ranks "Very well Bruin, I shall accept your challenge and your conditions. Should you win, you will not take Theo's place, but what shall be your reward for beating him?"

Bruin gave both men a wolfish smile, and Theo couldn't help but smile back. Even though his display earlier had upset him, Bruin and Theo were close friends.

"Bragging rights for whooping his stupid little ass,"

There were chuckles around the room, and Theo nodded in acceptance. His smile faded however as two more wolves stepped forward to Challenge him. One was a young male, just hitting adulthood and didn't have a set place in the pack. His challenge was simply a power grab even though everyone knew he couldn't touch Theo. The other was a low ranking beta whom never really cared for Theo. Theo sighed internally and the viciousness behind his eyes. Brett accepted each of their challenges and Theo agreed to the terms. Both men wanted his position.

"If there is no one else who would wish to challenge,"

"Wait!" a harsh female voice interrupted him. "I also want to challenge him for his position of Lead Beta!"

The group fell silent, all eyes turning towards the tall blonde wolf. Her eyes shone and her shoulders heaved with each breath. Theo was shocked, barely registering that Brett had begun to speak. Annie stood in front of them obviously seething. Was she still mad about that night that he had basically used her? She shouldn't be. They had spoken and while she had yelled at him, a few weeks later everything seemed to be back to normal. This was completely out of character for her.

"If you are sure that you want to challenge him, Annie, then I will grant your request. You will go last."

Annie simply nodded before turning on her heel and storming out of the meeting. Her departure sent up a round of muttering. It was normal to have female Betas, they looked after all of the pack females and were under the control of the Alpha Female. But it was basically unheard of for a female Beta to challenge a high ranking male Beta. Brett raised his hands to settle the crowd.

"Now that the challengers have come forth, the challenges will be held tomorrow. The challengers, and those who wish to watch will meet at the Circle when the sun has set. That is all."

The crowd quickly broke up into smaller groups, each one no-undoubtedly talking about the challenges that were coming up. Theo stuck around for just a few minutes, smiling and talking to some of the pack members before his need to be by Karen's side grew unbearable. Quickly extracting himself from the few stragglers, he rushed home, anxious to see how Karen was feeling.

a_koozie
a_koozie
258 Followers
12