Charlie and Layla Pt. 04

Story Info
The changes are complete, the future waits.
6.4k words
4.21
182.7k
77
128

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 06/13/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
thecelt
thecelt
2,511 Followers

This is the final chapter and the changes in both the characters come about. What the future holds for them isn't clear but it will certainly be different.

Thanks as always to LadyCibelle.

Part Four

Layla

Right at ten Layla walked down the hallway to Phillip Bassett's office and announced herself to June, his secretary. She had the letter from Carson Jennings with her which she intended to show him. She sat patiently until June summoned her into the office with a smile and a nod. Layla entered, stood stiffly until the door closed behind her, then waited until Mr. Bassett asked her to sit. She took a chair and sat, her back straight and her legs squeezed tightly together. She was more nervous than she could ever remember but this was what she wanted to do. She also understood that it would be very humiliating, but she had little choice

"Well, Layla, while I enjoy your company, I have to ask why this sudden request for a meeting. Is there something wrong? Your work has been outstanding, as always and I would hope you have no issues with Angela."

Phillip Bassett gave no indication he suspected anything out of the ordinary, but he clearly was interested. Layla was a valuable employee and he was very aware of her abilities and her worth to his company. He had been reminded of that just the other day.

"No sir, Angela and I are fine, but something is definitely wrong. I want you to read this letter and tell me if you have seen it before."

She handed him the letter from Carson Jennings and waited until he had time to read it through. She watched very carefully as he read and wasn't surprised to see a look of confusion come over his face. It was what she expected. It was part of why she was so angry at herself.

"I'm sorry, Layla, but, no; I've never seen this letter before. To tell you the truth, I am somewhat surprised by it. What do you expect me to say or do about this?"

"Actually, I expect nothing from this letter. But, I want to tell you how I came to receive this letter and what I did to get it. I want you to listen to me very carefully. And please, let me tell it my way. This is very embarrassing for me but I have to do it. It is important to me to do this now."

"Of course, Layla. Take your time and tell me what it is. You seem very upset. Is something wrong? Has something happened? Please, go ahead and I will certainly listen to what you have to say."

Now that it was time, her face burned with shame knowing what she was going to say would be humiliating. There was so much riding on this meeting and she was counting on it. Layla carefully folded the letter and slipped it into her purse before beginning.

Over the next fifteen minutes and in a strong voice, Layla told Phillip Bassett everything, beginning with the time she and Carson first began working together right up through the evening she spent in his motel room. She gave him a copy of the receipt with Carson's signature she got from the motel clerk and the time-stamped pictures her husband had taken of her with Carson outside the motel. She didn't hesitate when she told him what Carson demanded of her and she was clear that she did everything he asked her to do. She admitted her reasons and denied nothing. When she was finished she stopped, her chest heaving, her lips quivering with humiliation and her head down, her eyes on the floor.

Bassett said nothing for a few minutes, then he cleared his throat, lifted the phone and asked his secretary to call Judith Blessing, the VP of HR and have her come to his office immediately. While they waited, he asked Layla several questions, and seemed to be very disturbed by her admission that her marriage was in serious trouble. He answered his phone, nodded to himself when he was informed that Judith was on her way, and asked his secretary to bring a pot of coffee as soon as possible and to hold all calls.

Once all were present, the coffee poured and Layla holding the cup in both hands as if to warm them, he began, speaking to Judith.

"We have Layla's word that Carson Jennings blackmailed her to perform a sexual favor in return for a promise of a favorable recommendation. She admits to agreeing to his request because of his statement that refusal would result in an unfavorable recommendation and a recommendation of punitive action in the form of a demotion. I've read the letter from Carson, seen the pictures of the rendezvous and Layla has confirmed that her marriage is in trouble as a result since her husband suspected Carson's motives all along. I have to say Judith, I believe Layla's version of the events based on a meeting I had with Carson just yesterday."

He stopped to give Ms Blessing the time to digest his words and signaled to Layla for the letter. She pulled it back out and handed it to him. He unfolded it, looked again at it and passed it over to Judith. She took it, read it carefully, her face twisting in disgust as she read. She nodded to herself, handed the letter back to Phillip without comment.

"Carson said some things to me about Layla and I took them at face value at first. But the more he talked, the more concerned I became. It's not necessary to go into detail but what he said makes complete sense now that I hear Layla's side.

"We have some decisions to make, Judith. Layla, please leave us for a few minutes. Come back here in one hour if you will. Say nothing to anyone please." Phillip rose, came around his desk and took Layla by the hand, leading her to the door.

"Trust me Layla. I understand the importance of this and you won't be sorry you brought this to me." He watched her walk out, looking for all the world as if she had just lost her best friend. He thought that was exactly what happened and he was very sad knowing that someone in his employ was at fault.

"When Layla returns, please let me know immediately. Thank you June."

Charlie

Charlie worked over that day, something he rarely did. After coming back to the office, he had worked steadily for the next four hours, finishing the last call at half past six, an hour past his normal quitting time. He was surprised to see he was alone in the office. He gathered up his belonging, locked his office and left for home.

He had avoided thinking of what he did with the hooker that afternoon. He knew she did what she did for money and that those girls made the 'john' think that he was the greatest lover in the world. That's how they got repeat business and Charlie knew the value of repeat business. After all, that's what made him so successful. Repeats! It didn't escape him however that the girl had actually had an orgasm. That was a fact Charlie knew for sure. And it surprised her as well: he could see it in her face! She said he should be proud of himself and surprisingly enough, he was. It told him that if Layla had to go looking for more than he could give her, she needed more than most women. In that case, no man could satisfy her, not even Charlie.

Charlie pulled in and was surprised to find Layla still not home and Sheila playing with Christine in the family room. They had finished dinner, a takeout by the looks of the cartons still sitting on the table. He walked in and asked Sheila when Layla had called her to sit. Sheila said she got the call at quarter past four, in time to pick Christine up from daycare. That was a big surprise to Charlie since he couldn't remember the last time Layla had not been there. She made it a point that it was her job and she would not miss it for work.

He dismissed Sheila and cleaned up the cartons from the kitchen while Christine played with her dolls on the floor. Charlie was concerned, the break in the routine causing him to try to imagine what could be so important to Layla that she would let some one else pick up her daughter. He had some thoughts and those thoughts made him ill. Maybe she had begun to seek other men to fill the void in their relationship. After all, he told her he understood her need for more than he could give her. Maybe now she felt that she could do so with his acceptance.

Charlie took Christine into the family room and let her play while he meditated. It was almost her bedtime when he heard the car pull in and the garage door open. He looked at his watch to see that it was already past seven thirty and almost bedtime for Christine. He decided to let her see her mother before putting her to bed. Christine had not done anything wrong and to punish her mother in that way would be to punish her as well. Charlie couldn't do that. So, regardless of what she had been doing and with whom, Charlie would wait and let Christine and Layla have some time together.

Layla

She pulled into the garage and shut the door behind her. She sat there motionless for several seconds before taking a deep breath and opening the door. She moved slowly up the three steps to the door leading from the garage to the kitchen. She looked in the glass window to see the kitchen clean and spotless. Charlie. He would have done that. She pushed the door open, threw her briefcase down on the table and took off her suit jacket. She threw it in the general direction of a chair but it missed, falling unheeded to the floor. She moved sluggishly through the kitchen and into the hall, hearing the chatter of her daughter to one of her dolls. Charlie would be sitting with her, watching carefully to everything she did and said.

She stepped into the family room, saw her daughter's look of pleasure and bent over to hold out her arms to receive her. As her small body flew into her waiting arms, she felt a surge of love and contentment. She picked her up and held her tightly against her body, the warmth and the love reviving her somewhat. She needed that so badly right now. It was all she had now that Charlie had turned away from her. She was holding her so tight that Christine finally began to wriggle to get free.

She set Christine down and said hello to Charlie. He turned his head to look at her and the look on his face was enough to cause her legs to buckle. She reached out to hold herself up, letting the shock of that look sink in. What must he be thinking? Suddenly, she realized that she had not bothered to let Charlie know anything about her day and where she was! She knew what he must be thinking!

She went back out to the kitchen to recover her wits. How could she have not let him know? She was with Judith and Phillip most of the afternoon and it wasn't until almost seven o'clock that they had finished their conference. Layla had stayed because her demands would be met and that was necessary to her plan. Unfortunately, Charlie didn't know anything about that and his mind must have come up with a scenario that was probably not pleasant. What should she do? She had no choice but to continue on the path she had chosen.

Charlie and Layla Talk

Charlie waited until Layla went out of the room. He stood; feeling twenty years older than his actual age, and bent down to take Christine by the hand and lead her up the stairs. She wanted him to carry her and he did, the comfort of her arms and legs wrapped around him a blessing. Her love was untainted and unconditional. He returned it in kind. They talked for awhile as he helped her into her PJs and made sure she washed and brushed her teeth. A few brushes through her soft brown hair and she was ready. Charlie watched her climb into her bed and waited while she said her prayers. Once she was ready, Charlie turned out the light, cracked the door to allow a small amount of light to shine in and went slowly back downstairs.

Layla was sitting in the kitchen, a cup of coffee clutched in her hands and her face twisted in sadness. Charlie felt the need to speak to her, to ask her questions. He was afraid of the answers but in true Charlie fashion, needed to ask: his concerns for his daughter's welfare foremost in his mind. It would not serve him well to go to bed with questions unanswered and he had no intention of punishing himself! He took a beer from the refrigerator and sat down opposite Layla.

"May I ask where you have been and who you've been with? It's not like you to forget your daughter or have someone else pick her up. And I did assume that you would not be with anyone I knew. I hope you remembered that."

Layla felt as if she had been slapped. Charlie said those words in such a soft, accusing voice, the contempt visible on his face. He made an assumption and now he was asking her to verify it. The first surge of anger passed, her mind realizing that the question, while rude, was justified in his mind. After all, she had made him think what he did. It was her actions that caused his rational mind to travel in that direction. What did she expect? After what she did to him, she could break her routine, not tell him what or where she was and expect him to just shrug and say nothing?

"I was with Mr. Bassett and Judith Blessing all afternoon. Phillip Bassett is the president of our company and Judith is the vice president of human relations, reporting to Phillip."

"And why may I ask, were you with them? And why was that important enough for you to not pick up Christine? You've never done that before."

"I had some things to clear up with them and there was something I wanted from them. It was too important for me to not finish with them. I made arrangements for Christine but I failed to notify you and for that I apologize."

"I see. And did you see anyone else today? Other than those you work with?" The suggestion was very clear in his words and his tone.

"No. I saw no one else, Charlie. And I never will. Never again. It makes no difference what happens to us, I never will."

His voice rising in anger, Charlie responded, "You've made promises before that you couldn't keep Layla, so please don't try to make any more to me. I'm sure you mean them now, but you don't seem to be able to keep them."

Those words were enough to bring the tears rushing out. Layla bent her head to her arms resting on the table and let them come. There was no use denying them now. Let them come and wait till she could control them again.

God, how words could cut like a knife!! And from Charlie, who had never raised his voice to her or to Christine!

Charlie sat stoically while she cried. He hurt just listening to her, but he had no choice but to ask and remind her of the facts. What he said may hurt, but it was true. They had to keep up appearances after all. That didn't give him much solace.

Layla lifted her head, wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeve and squared her shoulders. She looked at Charlie with red rimmed eyes still showing unshed tears.

"I guess I deserved that. But I didn't expect it of you, Charlie. I guess I've brought out the worst in you. I'm so very sorry about that."

She squared her shoulders and raised her chin in some semblance of pride. She felt strong enough now to continue with what she planed.

"I have something for you Charlie. It is why I was so late. It took time for Mr. Bassett and Ms Blessing to prepare and get approved. I have it now and I want to give it to you."

Layla picked up her briefcase and opened it to pull out a small letter sized envelope. She laid it on the table in front of her and continued.

"You said some things last week when telling me why you were coming home. I remember the words almost verbatim, Charlie. Words that I know you believed with all your heart. But they were so very, very wrong that they stayed with me. You said,"

"you chose another man over me and that was your choice. I always believed I was the only one you wanted, but in that, I now see I was wrong. I thought when we were out and other men looked at you and wanted you that all you wanted was me. I was proud of that, and in my pride, I was foolish. Now that I know better, I have to accept that."

"Those were your words, Charlie, and they were wrong. They were so very wrong that I knew I had to do something to show you how wrong you were. If I can do nothing else, I have to make you see that you were wrong! That's where I've been today and this is what I wanted to give you."

She pushed the envelope across the table toward Charlie. He picked it up, opened the flap and pulled out the two sheets of paper inside. The first was folded and looked to be on company stationary. When he opened it, it was a printed check with a statement section on top. He read the statement carefully. It said,

BY ACCEPTING THIS PAYMENT, NO FURTHER ACTION WILL BE TAKEN BY MRS. WILSON AGAINST THIS COMPANY OR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES. THERE ARE NO OTHER CONSIDERATIONS STATED OR UNSTATED CONNECTED WITH THIS PAYMENT. CASHING THIS CHECK INDICATES AGREEMENT WITH THIS CONDITION.

Charlie looked at the check and saw that it was made outto him in the amount of $250,000. It was a shock to his system to see so much money in one check. Charlie was a good salesman but even with most orders, the deposit checks were only five digits at most. This one hadsix!

He laid the check down on the table and looked at the second sheet. This one was very simple and was a resignation letter, signed by Layla and dated today. Charlie, in his orderly fashion, read it through twice, looking for any catch. It was simple, and co-signed on the bottom by Angela Statson, Layla's boss.

Charlie looked at Layla and asked a simple question. "Please tell me what I am looking at."

She took a deep breath and began.

"You said that I did what I did because I found you lacking. That I needed more than you could give me. That was so far from the truth and I had to find some way to show you. I didn't go to that motel room because I wanted something that you couldn't give me. I had another reason and one I'm not proud of. The check is payment for Carson Jennings' propositioning me. Before you say anything, let me explain.

"I wanted that promotion at work. You know the one I mean. We talked about it when I was trying to explain why Carson Jennings was working with me and you asked; if I was so good at the job, why was Carson Jennings necessary. You were correct; he wasn't. But I told myself he was and he actually helped me a great deal. I was sure the promotion was mine and I was already making plans as to what we could do with the extra money.

"You have to understand Charlie that I was thinking of the extra money and that it could make you reconsider us having another baby. I wanted it so much and I wasn't thinking straight at the time. But I was sure the promotion was mine. It would mean the difference to you. I was so happy until Carson propositioned me.

"It was so easy for him, knowing how much I wanted the promotion. He said it was mine if I would spend two hours in his room having sex with him. If not, he would give me a bad recommendation and I would be demoted."

Now the tears started again. Layla stopped, went to the sink and splashed cold water over her eyes. She got a towel from the drawer and wiped her face before sitting back down. She looked at Charlie, sitting quietly as she asked, and started again.

"Instead of going to management and reporting him, I began to think of doing what he asked. I didn't think of it as you might expect. There was no feeling of excitement, or anticipation of making love with another man. That never entered into my thoughts. All I could think about was the job and the promotion. For that, I am so ashamed. It makes this nothing more than greed on my part. No other reason than greed and self absorption. I sold myself for money!

"It was awful Charlie! It was worse than I expected. He was a pig, an arrogant man who took advantage of my weakness and my doubts and made me do something that I will regret for the rest of my life!"

Charlie was not as shocked as Layla might have suspected. Her need for approval on the job was something Charlie understood and he had always known how much it meant to her. He was beginning to see what she was trying to say to him and he appreciated the attempt. He watched her to see if she was finished.

thecelt
thecelt
2,511 Followers
12