Charlotte & The Pirate Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mcfbridge
mcfbridge
706 Followers

The pirates quickly agreed, and the huge merchant ship was taken with no struggle at all. Then, after searching the vessel, the crew couldn't believe their good fortune. The ship had been on her way home after a very successful voyage. The main hold was loaded with gold and gems, which had been used to purchase the very expensive fabrics and dyes the merchantman had brought for sale. The treasure was more than most pirate captains would see in their entire careers.

The Anvil sailed back to Tortuga. When the locals saw the ship sail in so soon after leaving, they first thought that the sloop had run into trouble. But soon everyone was amazed to see the crew leave the ship with what appeared to be an unlimited amount of money to spend. As the story made its way around the island, the merchantman became less damaged, and bigger with each telling. Within a week, the bloodthirsty Black Bill had sunk three British Men O' War to take the rich treasure ship they were guarding. Two weeks later, the Anvil set sail again, with a captain who was already well on his way to becoming a legend.

This time it was almost two weeks before the little sloop spotted a target. She was another merchant vessel, and this one flew a Dutch flag. As usual, the Anvil was outgunned, but the Dutch ship was slow and unwieldy. She turned slow, and her crew wasn't the best.

The two ships traded broadsides, and within an hour, the merchant vessel was listing badly, while the Anvil was barely damaged. At that point, William pulled his ship into the merchantman, and his crew boarded her. The battle was short. William's crew were experienced swordsmen, while the Dutch crew were simple sailors. And while William himself wasn't overly experience with the blade, his shear size and strength made him a threat. Shortly, with only minor injuries, William had his prize.

Once again, the Anvil sailed back to Tortuga, loaded with booty. This time, William and his crew spent a good six months on the island before they set sail again. During that time, William learned what a valuable skill being a weaponsmith was. It was easy on the island to get metal, but to get good blades, that didn't break the first time they were in combat was much more difficult. With William doing the work between voyages, the Anvil's crew was the best armed in the Caribbean.

Over the next few years, Black Bill had taken several prizes. He had become quite wealthy, with treasure hidden numerous places. He had lost a few men, but most of his original crew had survived, and all of the original mutineers. By now the Anvil had a crew that was disciplined, extremely skilled, and fiercely loyal to its captain. Any ship that saw the little sloop, flying its white flag with a black anvil on it, tried to run immediately. No captain wanted to cross swords with Black Bill.

Now as Black Bill struck the French flag, and ordered the banner of the Anvil flown, he expected the French galleon to react. He was surprised to realize just how well his little trick had worked. That huge prize was completely unaware of the Anvil. Well, they'd get an introduction in a moment.

As she crossed the stern of the huge Marie LaMont, the Anvil fired her 7 port guns. William knew he only had one shot, but he trusted his crew. Besides, if this didn't work, the galleon was much too slow and turned too awkwardly, to be able to even begin to chase down his sloop. When the smoke cleared from the guns, Black Bill saw that his gunners had performed perfectly.

Seven cannon fired into the Marie LaMont, and at least 3 hit exactly what they were aiming at. Just below the waterline on the stern, they destroyed the galleon's rudder and put holes into her keel. The galleon had gone from a fierce warship, to a ship unable to turn and sinking from the stern. William had his crew signal for the Marie LaMont's captain to surrender.

The French captain didn't know what to do. He wanted to fight, but it was impossible to bring his guns to bear. His crew outnumbered the pirates at least 5 to 1, but unless they boarded his ship there was nothing they could do. A moment later, the pirates fired a second broadside, this one was loaded with grapeshot and fired into the rigging. The captain recognized this for what it was. Grapeshot would do no real damage to the sails, but it would be devastating if fired along the deck. That shot wasn't meant to do damage, it was meant as a warning.

Normally, the captain of the Marie LaMont would have risked it. He would have absorbed the fire and hoped the pirates would try to board. But this wasn't a normal voyage. He had the Count's daughter aboard. Broadsides of grapeshot could kill the young woman, even if she wasn't really a target. So, with a heavy heart, the captain ordered the French colors struck and surrendered his ship.

A huge cheer went up from the Raven's crew as they saw the French flag come down. Once again their captain had led them to victory over a much bigger, and apparently very rich foe. William ordered his ship to close with the galleon, and when they had pulled alongside, he and 20 of his men boarded the Marie LaMont. It was only as the ship pulled close, that the captain realized who he had surrendered to. He had to admit, that he was very curious to meet this pirate who had so quickly become a legend on the sea.

William was led immediately to the captain. The Frenchmen was surprised, and pleased to see that the pirates were a well-disciplined and orderly crew. He had been a little worried that blood would be spilled, even after his surrender, but that was not going to be the case. The pirates simply disarmed his crew and escorted them to the bow of the ship. Then several of them began to search the vessel.

The French captain asked what would become of his crew, and William assured him that as long as they swore to obey his orders, they would be well treated and released upon the Anvil's return to port. It was just then, that two of Bill's crew returned with a struggling young woman between them, and two chattering ladies following behind. William wasn't sure what to make of this, until the captain introduced the lady as Mme. Charlotte D'Ormond, daughter of the Comte D'Ormond, and betrothed to Lord Panvois, governor of St. Dominique.

Well, this was a stroke of luck. A noble captive could be held for a substantial ransom, and the daughter of a French count, engaged to a French governor was quite a prize. After some thought, William informed the captain, that the Lady Charlotte would be held on board the Anvil until a ransom was paid. That ransom would be 10,000 gold pieces. The captain did not object. That was a huge sum, but he knew it was reasonable for the captive taken. It was taken for granted that Charlotte would be well treated. No one harmed a prisoner held for ransom in any way. Aside from the fact that it was dishonorable, afterwards, they would never be trusted again and would be unable to collect future ransoms.

After the Anvil's crew finished their search of the French galleon, her passengers and crew were escorted back to the pirate sloop. The crew was shown where they would sleep, and Charlotte and her ladies were escorted to her quarters. The Anvil was a small ship, but decency demanded that a young lady be given private quarters. Although, for a young lady, the language the mademoiselle was using was quite colorful as she and her maids were led below.

Four days later, the Anvil landed at Tortuga. The French officers and crew were released, with a ransom note to Lord Panvois of St. Dominique. The Anvil would sail again in a week, but she would return in a month after that. At that time, the ransom was expected to be waiting. The French captain saluted his counterpart, and he had his crew departed. The only people left on the Anvil were Black Bill, his crew, the Lady Charlotte, and her maids.

mcfbridge
mcfbridge
706 Followers
12