Charmed to the Tenth Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I didn't notice the looks exchanged between two of the fighters. Here was this troublesome, twenty one year old American girl, no good to anyone, making a scene and endangering everyone's lives. All of a sudden, Leopold jumps into my way, knocking me down on the ground. That's when I noticed one of the fighters had taken out his knife. They were going to cut my throat to cover their tracks. It was then I grew up, in that moment. Life ceased being an adventure and started being a business I would have to take seriously if I wanted to stay alive. Leopold spoke to them in German, then in French so that I could understand too.

"If you want my services she will come with me. Any harm comes to her and I will walk to the nearest Nazi and turn myself in."

"The fighters spit in my direction and nodded. I was still not worth their trouble and if I ever held them up for anything, I was certain they would cut my throat open the moment Leopold turned his back. We walked for the rest of the night and more than once I was grateful to M. Lemaire for the extra socks.

"By the time the sun was burning off the morning dew, Leopold and I had been hidden away in a barn. I don't know whose barn it was, but they were very kind to harbor us. If Leopold or I had been discovered, the entire family would be killed. Every day a trap door was opened and a pail of water, a jug of wine and food was sent in. Again, at night, we sent out the used straw and they sent us fresh. We never saw them and they never saw us. It was cold at night and beastly hot during the day.

"The food was rather plain but we were grateful they shared with us. The wine... that was altogether the best wine I have ever had. At first, Leopold mixed it with some water. Who needed a drunken American girl singing gaily when the Nazis were on the prowl?

"Leopold and I stayed silent during the evening, and spoke quietly during the day. We were able to talk almost freely, during feeding time when the animals were restless and hungry. He wanted to know how I came to be trapped in France during a war. He called it a comedy of errors and taught me to laugh at my own follies. I saw how intelligent he was, how lively his eyes became when he spoke with passion and even when he was just listening. But most of all, I saw gentleness in everything he did, everything he said.

"By the end of the first week, we smelled worse than the animals. They sent in an extra bucket and a sliver of soap. I desperately needed to wash out my underthings and blouse. I asked Leopold to help me create a barrier so we could be decently separated while I washed our things and hung them to dry.

"He gathered my hand in his. He held it for a while then placed it on his cheek. He looked right into my eyes and said, "We don't need a barrier. You were sent for me; I was sent for you." He said it so slowly and carefully, like the words themselves were dangerous.

"I was mesmerized and at once felt the truth of what he said. Without a care for my modesty, I removed my clothing and washed myself. I handed the soap to Leopold and he did the same. Then I washed out our clothing and hung it up to dry. I had never seen a naked man before and seeing Leopold naked did things to me I didn't understand. But, by the next morning I understood very well.

"The weeks went by; days filled with boring routine and nights filled with tender lovemaking, occasionally broken up by extreme terror. Twice the Nazis visited the farm and searched it

"Although there was nothing else we could do, we found we simply couldn't get enough of each other. I had to know everything about him, everything. He asked the same of me.

"He had been at university when the Nazis came to power. His father had been a munitions designer during the first war. Leopold was also studying this subject; until the Nazi's came to power and the Jews were kicked out of universities. The unbelievable truth slowly crept in and they knew they had to escape if they wanted to stay alive. His mother woke him one night; she had been crying. She unhooked her necklace and with shaking hands she kissed it, and then she told Leopold to leave. Sell the necklace and save his sisters; get them out of Germany. He quietly left his home, and went searching for a way to escape and to hide.

"But when he returned the next day... He told me he had cut across their neighbor's yard and watched. He saw the Nazis load up his father and three brothers; he assumed his sisters had already been loaded. His mother was shoved on last. He wanted to go to her, wanted to pull her off the truck. He could barely contain himself as he described watching the Nazis filthy hands on his mother, his stomach and teeth clenched tight, his hands made fists and he was... he had to stop for a while before he could continue his story.

"He said he had almost taken a step out of his hiding spot to go to her. But just as began to step forward to get her back, she saw him. He told me her face lit up with such joy he had never seen on her before. She smiled and looked right at him. Leopold said her smile consumed her whole face and conveyed more messages than he could immediately decipher. He told me in that instant, of seeing his mother smile at him as the Nazi's pushed her into the truck, he felt so alive, so connected to her and so loved.

"You see? She was telling Leopold to go on, go on and live, find a way to go on.

"He stood hidden, leaning on the neighbor's house trying to breath, trying to gather himself, not call attention to himself. He watched the Nazi soldiers hoist her into the back. He saw his father's arms reach out to take hold of her. He saw his father wrap her in his arms just before the flaps were pulled down. He never saw them again.

"Determined to go on, determined to live, and determined to kill as many Nazis as he could; he went into hiding. He had one gentile friend left and Leopold waited outside her home. His friend, Elsie Kuhn-Leitz, was much more than a gentile friend. She was a singular force to be reckoned with. Elsie's father was very rich, he owned the Leica Camera factory and Elsie was not the kind of girl who stayed silent and still when action was called for. Elsie kept him hidden for a whole year and then made plans to smuggle him into Switzerland.

"The day before they were to leave Leopold told Elsie he had a very bad feeling about going to Switzerland. He said he needed to be in France. Elsie's father, Ernst Leitz, had a boyhood friend, Heinrich Otts. The Otts family owned the Inn where Elsie had taken other "friends" and she agreed to take Leopold there too. Because the Inn was located in Weil am Rheim, almost at the borders between Germany, Swtizerland and France, it was the perfect place. Leopold ended up staying there for nearly six months.

"Elsie helped get Leopold transportation into France and a hide out at another Inn owned by another friend in Village Neuf. While Leopold was waiting for a way to make contact with the French resistance, he learned that Elsie had been captured by the Gestapo and the three Jewish women with her were killed. Before he moved on he learned that Elsie's father threatened to close down his factory, they had been making cameras before the war but ended up making optical equipment for the Reich Military machine during the war, if his daughter was not released.

"Finally, two years after he saw his mother for the last time; two years on the run and in hiding, he made contact with the French resistance. Two days later he appeared at the breakfast table at M. LeVeigh's.

"Leopold was invaluable to the Resistance. He could build bombs and knew just where to place them for maximum effect. He was waiting for transport to Caen, where he would be put to work doing whatever the French Resistance wanted.

"We talked and talked about his plans to help topple the Nazi's. He was filled with confidence that they would not prevail. One night towards the end of the summer, we heard a truck pull into the farm and prepared for more terror thinking it was more Nazis come to search. But nothing happened. The next morning, as usual, the trap door was opened and along with the bucket and food came a bundle. We opened it and saw clothing. An army nurse's uniform... for me. My heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach. We were to be separated.

"You know, all that time in hiding, afraid I'd be found, afraid I'd be killed and get others killed with me, not once did I think of what would happen to me when Leopold's transport to Caen came through. I never gave it a thought until we unwrapped that package.

"I looked at Leopold, sick with fear and worry. I clung to him and cried. This could not be happening to us, to me. We couldn't allow ourselves to be separated, could we? It was war time, we were in danger, we were putting other people in danger. Those were the words Leopold spoke to me, holding me and stroking my hair. He memorized my body and my face as I memorized his. My love for him in those last few hours we had together was crushing; it physically hurt.

"He memorized my history, my parents' names and my home address. We had no idea when we would see each other again. He pulled me up on my knees and wrapped his hand around my face. He looked right into my eyes and the fear and desolation that had been so think I wanted to faint... it just went away; disappeared. I was left feeling only his love for me, my love for him.

"He wanted me to keep working to get home, said I must get back to America safely. We made love one last time and I got dressed in my nurse's uniform and waited for the trap door to open. He gave me his mother's necklace. Those last few moments, waiting for separation, I can't describe... There aren't words.

"Before the trap door closed I turned back for one last glimpse. He smiled, his face lit with joy. It was the same smile I think, his mother's smile. I knew what he was telling me then."

She stopped talking for a while, her eyes had filled with tears but they never slid out and tumbled down her cheeks. They stayed in her eyes and she looked far away, swallowing hard.

Eva was so intent on the story it took her a moment to realize the deep sadness that was coming from this old woman was as raw as if it happened yesterday. Eva reached out and stroked her cheek. The woman turned to Eva, a look of surprise on her face.

"Where have you been?" The woman studied Eva's eyes, waiting for an answer. But Eva remained silent, waiting for the confusion to pass. The woman blinked a few times and smiled, she was fully back now.

"Aside from my Cozette, this necklace is all I have left of my Leopold. Cozette was born on the USS Marshall, on our way back to the states. That day, the ship's radarman handed me a slip of paper holding his cap in his hands.

"Leopold next of kin STOP Worked major target STOP Killed in action STOP Confirmed STOP"

"Much later, years later I learned that "major target" was Hitler. It had been my Leopold who built the bomb that was used in the 1943 assassination attempt. I was stricken with grief all over again thinking my Leopold died in vain. But then I remembered the American patriot Nathan Hale. "I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country." I knew Leopold would have felt that way, even as the Nazis put the gun to his head.

"I woke up in the bed of the private cabin afforded to a woman on a naval vessel and especially a woman ready to deliver any day. The sheets were soaked; my water had broken. So this was to be the "any day." At first I was excited and thought immediately of my Leopold. But then I remembered. I was angry he was gone and not here with me. I was angry at the war and all people in uniform. I didn't want them near me. I didn't want anyone to share this moment with me. I was bringing Leopold's child into the world so shortly after he had left it. This was a private time and I would not share it. I did not alert the ship's doctor as I had been instructed to do, but stayed, weeping silently, in my private bunk.

"I used my love for Leopold to keep me strong throughout the labor. I had no worries that anything would go wrong. Having spent those years on the farms I'd assisted many time with goats, cows, pigs and even horses. I felt like I knew what to do. As the pain increased and the time wore on I became separated, somehow, from what was happening in my body. I could just feel the edge of pain, but no more. Then, oh my love, then I could feel his face next to mine, and his arms holding me. I felt him kiss me more than once and I felt his tears, wet on my shoulder when Cozette finally arrived.

"I felt him wrap his arms around us both as he looked over my shoulder to our beautiful baby girl. We sang then. We sang together a song of our love and the bitterness of the short time we had together, we sang of endurance and we sang for our child. I felt like all was well and right. I missed him and would love him the rest of my life, but things were as they should be.

"He had to go, he said. But first there was something I had to know. He told me remember but never repeat. When it was time for us to be together again, then I could repeat."

The woman blinked and seemed to regain herself; to realize again where she was and who she was with. She sat up and reached behind her neck to remove her necklace. She gingerly laid the charm on her shaking palm and stoked it lovingly.

"Go over to the table over in the corner. Yes there. You see the tape recorder? Bring it here. See, it's been recording the whole time. I'm almost done and when I finish, I want you to take the tape. Never let anyone else listen to it. You already know who you can trust, follow your instincts my dear.

"Oh, I'm so excited to finally tell this part. Before I begin though, I have to tell you another thing. I guess I should have started with this but I'm an old woman. You mother, Arore, is my granddaughter. You are my great granddaughter.

"Yes, I see you are stunned. I'm so sorry it had to be this way. I gave birth to Cozette, she gave birth to Arore and Arore gave birth to you. It is the curse that's kept us apart my love. But soon, soon we'll all be together."

Eva was numb. She simply stared at this woman, but knew she had heard the truth.

"Okay Eva? Okay dear? It's time I must tell you the last part now. It really is past time. Hold my hand dear?"

When Eva grasped the woman's right hand, she was surprised at how cold it was. The woman placed her other hand on top of Eva's and wrapped the necklace around Eva's hand.

"You'll need this very soon. Take it with you." She laid her head back on her pillow and closed her eyes. Then she began.

"The gift goes on unerringly, through Charms. It reaches its peak and peace will arrive. The peak is the Tenth, the strong and the brave. The Tenth is born knowing all the secrets. So heavy, this burden that she carries. Her secrets, her burden, for she alone. Mute she must stay, never to reveal them. So sad is her road without protection.

The Ninth will find the Tenth. Nine protects Ten. Seven shows Nine to Six then Nine will know. From Six to Nine and the path way made clear. Six will tell Nine everything she needs. Nine takes her Other they stay together. Two Nines will make Ten as safe as can be.

The goodly, the Godly will be watching. Smoothing the way but never revealing. The dark ones make dangers, they will watch too. For riches, for power, they seek the Tenth. They wait, they watch, they want it all themselves. Hear me Nine, listen and learn from me well. My story now ends my heart breaks no more. I go to my love. He waits for me there."

Eva waited for the woman to say more, but she remained still. Watching her very closely, time passed unnoticed, tears gathered and descended, unnoticed. Eventually, Eva leaned forward and with a shaking hand felt her great grandmother's neck. She turned to call for Gail, but then she remembered the tape recorder and her instructions. She turned it off and took the tape. Then she replaced the tape recorder back where it was.

She sat back down next to the woman and placed the necklace around her own neck, tucking it in right next to the one she'd had for a few years already. Eva grasped her great grandmother's hand again and called for Gail.

But it was Denny who came in, Jeff close behind him.

"Go, you have to go now." Denny looked at Eva, then the old woman and froze for a second or two. In three strides the huge man stood next to the bed. He looked down at the tiny old woman with tenderness, than grasped her hand from Eva. He felt her forehead, then closed his eyes as he kissed her hand. He placed her hand to cross over her lifeless body. He leaned over and kissed her forehead.

Eva heard him sniff and saw him wipe his eye, just before he turned back to Jeff.

"Get your Other out of here and get her safe, NOW go NOW."

Jeff grabbed Eva to force her out of the room, but she dug in her heels and turned back to Denny.

"You've known me my whole life? I've been all alone and you've just watched?" Then she flung herself at Denny and began beating him. "Why? Why did you do that? You left me all alone, why?"

Denny grabbed her and wrapped his huge arms around the tiny kicking woman. He held her gently until all the fight was worn out of her. The years of loneliness and longing to know who she was and why she was, long buried sprang fresh and poignant. She sobbed in his arms. He picked her up and held her like a baby, then walked her over to Jeff and passed her to him. He kissed the top of her head and pushed them out the door.

They heard tires spinning their way up the gravel driveway as they headed toward the front. Jeff stopped and put Eva down. He looked through the window and saw a black Ford Taurus kicking up dust coming closer and closer to the house.

Eva stood just where Jeff had placed her; staring into space without reacting to what was going on.

"Eva. Eva." He grabbed Eva's hand pulled her tight to him. "We're in trouble. Something about bad guys with guns and attitudes? Wake up and stay alert."

Eva blinked away the confusion and squeezed Jeff's hand.

He turned just before Denny called his name, just in time see Denny launch a .38 police special flying toward him. "Are you fucking crazy?" He jumped in front of Eva and caught it with both hands and pointed it to the floor.

"Safety's on, quit crying. We're going to go out back and up the hill. It's a straight shot to the trees with no cover. Eva, you take off and run, don't slow, don't look back, don't turn, you keep looking straight forward and move as fast as you can. Jeff, you run behind her and I'm behind you. I'll stop half way and go low. You guys keep going. Crest the hill and veer west, toward the bay. Here," Denny threw a key on a chain with a foam float attached to it. "Name's Anna Belle, she's a thirty foot Chris Craft and I just refinished the teak decking. Take her back to your place. I'll contact you or someone will. Go."

"Wait, how will know it's safe?"

Denny shook his head at Jeff. "Boy, how do you ever know anything?" He tapped his head. "GO."