Chicago Love Story Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I giggled and kissed him gently, snuggling into his warm embrace. I felt my body temperature fall as my heart began to slow. I didn't know what to say as my mind raced. All I could do is feel him close to me. For now, it was enough.

"You are so fucking sexy," I whispered. "I had a feeling it would be this good."

"It was even better than I imagined," he said after a few moments. "And you were fucking amazing in my dreams, Bella."

"I really cum like a goddess?" I said dazedly.

"Oh yes," he replied. "You have the sexiest voice, sweetheart."

A few moments passed before he led me back to his bedroom. We snuggled under the covers and slept briefly before we fell into round two.

The final month of my time in New York seemed to go by twice as fast. I savored every second I had with Jeff before reality hit. I missed my family and friends in Chicago. Hell, I missed the city just as much as my loved ones. The city itself was dear to me.... But I would miss the people I'd come to know here in New York. Bradlee, Brice, my Manhattan colleagues, and of course.... Jeff.

"I didn't realize how bad I was going to feel having to leave," I said gently as I lay in his embrace. My plane ticket home was on the nightstand next to my bed, and he picked it up and eyed it sadly.

"You don't have to go, sweetheart," he said softly. "Brice has offered you a job time and time again."

"I have to go back, Jeff," I said softly. "Chicago is my home."

"Yeah, I figured as much," he sighed. "It's alright, though. I'll manage."

"You can always come and visit," I whispered, but to that, he offered no reply.

The last day at the magazine was one that was bittersweet. I hugged my new friends and promised to visit, and even got a few promises of some visitors to Chicago. Jeff hugged me sweetly outside the building and placed a white New York Yankees hat on top of my head.

"Go Yankees," he said softly as he kissed my nose. He eyed me sadly and turned to walk away. He didn't look back.

My heart sank and I sighed heavily. I needed to go back to my apartment and finish the last of my packing.

I arrived at Midway Airport around 2:30 pm. I claimed my bags and lugged them onto the El that took me into the heart of the city. I smiled as I saw the familiar skyline draw closer.

Renee was at my apartment with Pixie and a freshly cooked, much desired, homemade meal. I was exhausted as I plopped down on my couch with my very excited cat and a bottle of Miller Lite.

"I guess it's back to reality tomorrow," I said right after I yawned. "It's going to feel weird going back there."

"Yeah, especially considering you haven't seen or heard from Josh all summer," Renee said softly. "And you yourself have had a little summer fling."

"It's not that I didn't think of him," I seemed to say to myself. "Jeff was a great distraction."

"Is that all he was?" Renee asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Let's not go there," I sighed.

I didn't even know how to answer her question. It was just too much to think about as I tried to process going into the office tomorrow and facing all that I'd left behind. I certainly felt refreshed, but was I truly over Josh? Jeff had been like a dream. A 6'1, Italian/Irish dream who had rocked my world and set it aflame for the past month or so. I closed my eyes that night in bed and imagined his brown eyes, his smile, the warmth of his kiss. I tossed and turned for a bit. He had texted me earlier to see that I had gotten back to Chicago safely. It had been short and sweet... A nice summer fling. Now, it was time to face reality.

The office had been decorated with balloons and streamers, and there was even a poster that said "Welcome Back, Izzy." Victor, my editor, and a few others, surprised me with a cake. I stood in front of the staff and felt at home again. Josh had made himself scarce, and Molly hadn't even shown up that day. I hadn't bothered to ask why.

I promised a staff get-together later in the week so that I could share my stories from New York. I really needed a few days to get reacclimated with the Chicago news scene and simply rest. Of course, everyone understood. I was dying for a cold beer and a pork sandwich from Boston Blackie's, so that was the plan for the following Friday.

Meanwhile, it was going on 6 pm and I knew I needed to head home. I began to shuffle papers around and shut down my computer when I felt a presence behind me. I didn't have to turn around to know who it was.

"New York did you well, huh?"

It was Josh.

I found it within myself to smile as I saw his face and his shy, tentative eyes. I know he was trying to read me, and as hard as it was for me to just be calm, I did my best.

"It was an amazing experience," I said with forced enthusiasm. I felt my heart beating wildly in my chest. "I got offered a job out there."

His eyes widened and his mouth flew open, but when I told him I had declined, he relaxed and sat across from me.

"So, Izzy," he said gently. "I- I was really excited to see you today. I really missed you when you were away."

"Yeah?"

"I kinda wanted to talk to you about something," he said softly. "I know you left Chicago to get away from all the... stuff that was going on here. And I've felt guilty about it all summer long."

I searched his eyes carefully, not fully knowing what to say. I knew we'd have to talk eventually. Now seemed as good a time as ever.

With that, my cell phone rang. I knew it would be rude to answer, but I saw the screen say Jeff and my heart leapt a little. I looked at Josh guiltily.

"It can wait if you want," I said as the phone continued. "It's a call from New York and it could be important."

"Go ahead," he said dejectedly. "I'll be at my cube."

I watched him walk back as I said hello to Jeff.

"I just booked a flight to Chicago, Bella," he said urgently. "I know this is crazy, but I have to see you. My flight lands at Midway at 9:30. I'll see you then."

With that, he hung up, and I was left speechless.

Josh walked back to my cube five minutes later and saw me with phone in hand, my expression filled with complete and utter amazement.

"Izzy, I'm really sorry, I hope that you don't-" he stopped midsentence as he snapped his fingers in front of me. "Izzy, you with me here?"

"Yeah," I said amazedly. "What were you saying?"

"I really have to talk to you. It's very important."

"Yeah," I nodded, reality hitting me suddenly. It was all very clear to me now. I knew what was in my heart. I knew what I needed to do and say as far as Josh was concerned. "I need to talk to you, too."

I smiled, truly smiled, at him, for the first time in months. I looked at the clock and knew we both needed to hurry.

"Ok," he said, swallowing and sitting tall in his seat. "I'll go first."