Chocolate Kisses Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Eliza, what am I going to do with Bethany? What am I going to do? I can't walk around on eggshells with her. There's got to be a way. What do you think? Me, hiding in the library? Is that the coward's way out?"

"James, you're not a coward. Don't hurt yourself. I know she's broken your heart. I don't know why anymore than you do. There's something that happened. Something so horrible she couldn't face it. She has to work this out. If you still love her, you will have to wait. If it takes too long, I wouldn't blame you one bit for moving on from her."

She dug her sandal into the sand, tracing lines to be washed out by the water.

"If she doesn't love me enough now, how will tomorrow be any better?" The water came in enough to make him jump back.

"How much do you care? How much of your life is she worth? That's a question only you can answer, James, only you."

He looked out at the gray sea. "C'mon, let's go. Thanks."

Dinner that evening was a strained affair. Bethany was firmly ensconced at the other end of the table, keeping her head down, stealing glances in his direction every so often. James had decided to just try and act as normally as possible, if not for her, then for himself.

"This is very good, Eliza. Thank you." He put down his fork and wiped his mouth with the linen napkin.

"You're welcome; would you care for any dessert?"

He patted his rock-hard stomach, laughing. "Oh, no. I've put on a little weight ever since you've been cooking for me."

Bethany stood up, cleared the table and after excusing herself, went upstairs. James watched her walk away.

Eliza looked at him, wondering what was going to happen. She was torn between the two of them.

Bethany was her sister and yet she had done something so wrong without any explanation. She would have thought Bethany would have at least told James why but he never indicated that she did.

At least his dark mood had lifted somewhat and he was beginning to go through the motions of living again. She hoped he had listened to what she had said.

12