Choices

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was sitting home, having taken a couple of days off at the end of another successful project. We had been married about 6 months at this point. Taylor was out but she hadn't told me where. I heard her car pull into the garage and was, as always, thrilled that she was home.

But that changed when she came crashing through the door joining the garage to the living room.

"You son of a bitch!" she yelled at me.

This was not what I had expected, and I was immediately on the defensive.

"What's the matter, baby?"

"I can't believe you did this to me!"

I was dumbfounded at what this might be about. Taylor's trust issues hadn't reared their ugly heads anytime recently, but I imagined she saw something that perhaps she had misinterpreted. I got up and started moving away from her, a little scared she might lash out.

"Baby, what are you talking about?"

"As if you don't know what I'm talking about. You did it to me, and you did it on purpose. Don't try and pretend."

"Honey, I'm not trying to pretend anything, I just don't know what this is about."

"Oh, you're trying to play ignorant. 'I don't know what I did, honey, so I won't admit to anything'. Try being honest, Henry, and I think you'll know."

I was starting to get really upset. I couldn't imagine what I might have done, or even what she might think I did. Tired of the chase, I finally stopped and let her catch me.

"Baby, please tell me what's going on."

She very gently hit me on the chest then looked me in the eyes with a look that said I just stepped on her puppy. She had totally hooked me.

"You knocked me up, you bastard."

Her face spread into the most beautiful, amazing smile I had ever seen, but it still took me a minute for the words to register because I was waiting for some sort of accusation.

"What...you...you're pregnant?"

"Two months, baby. I just came from the doctor."

I picked her up and swung her around, thrilled at the good news. In fact, when we had been talking about it and it had just been a theory or a plan I was okay with it, but now that it was real I was thrilled and couldn't wait to have a baby with the woman I loved.

*****

TAYLOR

Having never been pregnant, I didn't really know what it felt like, but I knew I was feeling off: light-headed and dizzy, sometimes a little nauseous, basically just off. My first thought was a brain tumor. A little extreme I know, but in my mind I thought maybe fate was waited for me to finally be happy before taking it away again. After Jimmy I sometimes wondered if God had something against me.

When Dr. Markley came into her office with a smile on her face I simply thought it was good news: the flu, maybe, but something mild at least. When she dropped the bottle of pre-natal vitamins on the desk and I heard the word pregnant, I was filled with more joy than I can express. To be having a baby with the man that I loved was to fulfill a lifetime dream.

After I told Henry, we immediately went down to mom and dad's to give them the good news. I was an only child and they were beginning to worry about not getting grandchildren to spoil. We decided to have a little fun with them; a little payback to my mom for letting me think Natalie was Henry's girlfriend that time.

"Mom, dad, Henry and I have something we need to tell you. Please sit down."

"This sounds serious dear; is everything okay," mom asked.

I pretended to be getting emotional and let Henry take over. He did a great job of filling his voice with emotion himself as he spoke.

"Taylor...just came back from the doctor. It seems she's picked up, well, I guess you would call it a parasite."

Miss Ruth got a little frantic.

"Oh, Taylor, honey. How did this happen? Is it serious?"

"It's pretty serious, mom. I'll probably get pretty sick for a while, and they expect me to put on a lot of weight before too much longer. It's one of the side effects."

"Oh darling, everything will be okay. Is it treatable? Can they give you anything that will help?"

"Not really. I pretty much have to just let it run its course."

"Doctors don't know everything. We can do some research and see what our options are. Did he give you a name of the condition?"

"I believe the medical term is...pregnancy."

Mom started writing that down before she realized what I had said, then suddenly burst into tears of happiness and hugged us both. Dad had sat their stoically the whole time - mom usually does the talking for both of them - but I saw his eyes get moist as he realized he was going to be a grandfather.

*****

HENRY

Taylor and I had recently celebrated our 1-year anniversary and she was waddling around the house ready to bust at just over 8 months pregnant. She was even more beautiful, and even with her bloated belly our amazing sex life hadn't suffered. We still did it every single day, and often it helped her relax and allowed her to get some sleep. Life was good.

We had just finished dinner and were planning to sit down to a movie on Netflix when my phone rang. It was Natalie.

"Hey Nat, what's up honey," I asked.

"Daddy, can you come to North Town Medical Center right away?"

The tension was evident in her voice and I was on alert instantly.

"What's happened, baby? Are you okay?"

In that moment I felt Taylor tense up as well.

"I'm fine, dad. It's mom. She was in a car accident. It's really bad."

I relaxed a bit and was slightly annoyed. Why was she calling me?

"Look honey, I'm glad you've patched things up with your mom a bit over the last few months, but that doesn't make her my problem. She's John's responsibility now."

She was quiet, then in almost a whisper, "Dad, John's dead. He was in the accident, too."

I said the first thing that came into my mind, and felt kind of bad for it later.

"Really? Good. But that still doesn't make your mother my problem. Hang on, honey."

I paused the conversation with Nat to give Taylor a quick update on what was going on. She just nodded her head then went into the bedroom.

"Sorry, honey. Go ahead."

"I know this isn't your problem, daddy. It's mine, and I need your help. They're asking me all kinds of questions and asking me to fill out a bunch of forms and I don't know what to do. Savannah will need help, too. She's trying to deal with her dad's death and not having much more luck than I am."

"All right, honey. Hang tight and I'll be there as soon as I can. But don't have any expectations of me talking to her or even going in to see her."

"Okay daddy."

I clicked the phone off just as Taylor came walking out of the bedroom with her coat on.

"Hold on there, beautiful. Where do you think you're going?"

"Aren't we going to the hospital to help Natalie?"

"I am. You're staying here. I'm not taking your pregnant self into that petri dish of bacteria and infection."

"But baby, I want to be there for you and Nat."

"I know, sweetie, but I don't want you to get something. It'll be boring and you'll be uncomfortable. But I promise to keep in contact with you, okay?"

She gave me her poutiest lip but gave in.

"Okay, but you better keep me in the loop like I'm standing right beside you."

I made it to the hospital and found my way up to Gina's floor. I stopped at the nurse's desk and was directed to the waiting area, where I found Natalie. She gave me a big hug and brought me up to date.

"It looks like mom is going to make it but she'll have some physical therapy ahead of her. She broke her left leg and arm, but otherwise her injuries are mostly superficial."

"Do we know what happened?"

"There's actually an officer in there with her right now. He said he'd update me after he talks to mom."

A few minutes later the policeman exited Gina's room.

"Miss Weston, thank you for your patience. It looks like your mom was pretty lucky. She won't face any charges since she was just the passenger."

"I'm sorry, charges for what?"

"And you are?"

"This is my daughter and I'm helping her with arrangements for my ex-wife."

"Well, preliminary toxicology reports indicate that Mr. and Mrs. Hartman were both under the influence, though actual levels are still pending. Again, since Mrs. Hartman was the passenger she won't face any charges, and since Mr. Hartman passed away obviously there's nothing to be done to him. There may be a civil issue with the other vehicle owner, though, so she should be prepared."

I wanted to clarify. "Officer, just so we're clear on what you're saying: John and Gina were both apparently drunk or on something, and they got into an accident in which they were at fault. Is that about right?"

"Yes sir."

"And how are the people from the other car?"

"No fatalities fortunately, but there are some concussions and broken bones, and of course their car was totaled. It'll depend how good the Hartman's insurance is."

"All right, officer. Thank you very much."

"I'm gonna check on mom."

I sat down to wait for whatever was next while Natalie walked into her mom's hospital room. I texted a quick update to Taylor then pondered the turn of events. Part of me thought about the fact that this never would have happened if she was still with me since I didn't drink alcohol.

But part of me did feel bad for her. Regardless of how she had treated me at the end, her husband was dead and she now faced her golden years without either of the men that she had loved. I wondered if she'd try to find someone else or settle into a single life with friends, and as a mom waiting to be a grandma.

She'd have to work, which she had only done briefly right after college and before she and I married. She would probably have to sell the house, and would probably want to as well. I can't imagine that house being anything more than a reminder of the 2 men she no longer had.

My ruminations were interrupted by Natalie emerging from her mother's room.

"She'd like to see you, daddy. I told her I'd ask but to expect the answer to be no."

It was strange. I had been carrying this anger with her around for so long, and suddenly, in that moment, it was gone. I mean, what the hell was I still pissed about? I still had my amazing daughter. I still had a great job that paid well and that I loved doing. And I had a beautiful wife and a new daughter due soon. What Gina had done was in the past, and it could be argued that she was paying for it now. Sure, it had been painful to go through, but in the end things had actually turned out for the better. In that moment, I put it all behind me and out of my mind

"I'll go talk to her."

The surprise at my answer was evident on Natalie's face, but that soon broke into a smile, and I think she knew as well that I had turned the corner.

I walked into Gina's room and she responded with a weak smile, probably due to her own lack of strength and whatever drugs they had her on.

"Henry, you came. Thank you."

"How are you feeling, Gina?"

"Physically I guess I'll be okay. Emotionally I'm a wreck, though you can't tell because of all the chemicals inside me. You know John is gone, don't you?"

"I heard, yes. I'm sorry about that."

"Are you?"

"Okay, I wasn't at first, but I've just in the last few minutes realized I didn't care for the person all this bitterness was turning me into, so I've let it go. So yes, I'm sorry you lost John. And I know you're going to need some help getting through this, but I want you to know that Taylor and I will be there to help."

"That would be nice. I've been hoping to one day meet your lovely wife. Natalie tells me she's about to pop with her new baby sister. You must be excited."

"I am, very much."

"Henry, for what it's worth, I'm sorry for what I did to you. I had built up marriage to John in my mind to believe it was just going to be amazing, but it was just a normal marriage. I loved him and he loved me, but I had that already with you and I regret doing what I did. I think, deep down, I knew you'd never share me and that would give me an excuse to be with John but still kind of make it your fault. I was stupid, and I owe you an apology."

"Consider it forgotten and yourself forgiven, Gina. I'm past it. Friends?"

"Definitely. I guess that's just the first of big changes for me. With John gone I'll have to sell the house, and get a job, too. I don't know how. I don't have any skills."

"You just focus on getting better. When it's time just give me a call. I can get you working someplace."

"That would be wonderful, Henry. Thank you."

I said my goodbyes, wanting to get back to Taylor as soon as I could. All of Gina's paperwork was taken care of so it was just a matter of her getting better. I stepped out of the room and found Savannah had joined Natalie. I walked over and gave her a hug.

"How're you holding up, Savi?"

"I'm doing okay, Uncle Henry. I could use some help with the paperwork, but otherwise I'm fine."

"I'll help you. Let's go."

The paperwork needed at the morgue was different than was needed for a live patient. I had never done dead-person paperwork before but we muddled through it, talking as we did so.

"I know you hadn't spoken to your dad in some time. I hope that wasn't on my account."

"No, it was for my mom. I think she would have wanted dad to find someone else, but her family and her friends - you guys - were all so important to her. She wouldn't have been okay with dad doing what he did, breaking up you and Aunt Gina. He disrespected her and her memory and I couldn't forgive that."

"He couldn't have done it if Gina hadn't been willing. But that's over now. If there's anything you ever need, Savi, you know to call me."

"Well, since you mention it, I find myself recently orphaned, so I'm in the market for some new parents. Could I interest you and Aunt Taylor in the position?"

"Sweetheart, we would be honored. In fact, you're coming home with me and Nat tonight. I think we should all be together."

And that was exactly what we did. When at last we were done at the hospital we all met up back at the house, and just for fun, as I brought Savannah through the front door, I announced to my very pregnant wife: "It's a girl!"

*****

Epilogue

HENRY

I just turned 50, and I'm amazed at the changes my life has taken in the last 9 years since that morning that Gina asked me to play nice and share.

Savannah and Natalie have each gotten married. I gave them both away. Natalie married her longtime boyfriend, Michael. They live in an apartment not far from the house and Natalie just announced she is 3 months pregnant. Savannah actually met a guy the first day of her new job and it was love at first sight. They actually got married after knowing each other just 2 months, but they have 2 kids and are very much in love. The kids call Taylor and me grandma and grandpa.

I got Gina a job as the personal assistant to one of our competitors. Well, I got her the interview and gave her a good recommendation, but he tells me hiring her was one of the best decisions he ever made. They finally got married last year after Gina had spent some time resisting the idea of taking a third walk down the aisle.

Taylor and I are very happily married, and we have fulfilled her dreams of a large family. Not only do we have Nat and Savi and their husbands, along with the grandkids, but Taylor spent basically the first 5 years of our marriage pregnant. Samantha is 8, Jasmine is 7, Nathan is 5, and little Carmen just turned 4. Taylor is an amazing mother and I love her more and more every day. But she and I were just too fertile together, so after Carmen was born I got snipped and she got tied.

Miss Ruth is still with us but we lost Richard 6 years ago. He lived to see his first two grandchildren born and we are all very thankful for that. Miss Ruth still lives in her house but we are there every day to make sure she is taken care of. Soon we'll be selling both houses and we'll all move to a larger house together. With the kids getting bigger every day we'll need the room.

*****

fin