Chosen Mate Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
HarryHill
HarryHill
98 Followers

He was well on his way, watching Edgar as he was led away by Eleanor, when Leonard fell in beside him; he was wearing his armor. Harry looked at him briefly as he neared the center then looked up, 'seeing' the shop above and passed. He walked to the door and let Max in to dance about him and grumble out his greeting. Harry gave him a length of jerky from a container on the bench, smiling as he ran back out the door into the darkness, shaking it. Harry opened the bottle of Jack and drank, letting its fumes clear his head and nasty mouth; the fiery warmth filled him. He offered the bottle to Leonard who shook his head.

--I greet you, Har ri na, but I want none of the Jack Daniels cure. He eyed the bottle warily. There is much to talk of; he began with an oblique comment and returned his eyes to Harry's haunted face. ...Is it true that Ed ga ri destroyed the jet in Memphis?

--Yes, it's true. I had no idea Edgar armed his craft until he told me of the sword. What is going on here?

--Lord Sand is in the Great Hall with the council as the crisis unfolds. The People are mobilized. The lesser Fay in the burrows have been sent to the Endless Sea until it is known how to proceed.

--Has he seen the T.V. yet; are there any reports from the media in Memphis?

--Oh yes, Har ri na. Mar gay na informed him right away when the reports began. There is much speculation, mostly about mechanical failure. It was said that the jet was on final approach when it turned away then exploded. There is little chance for survivors they said.

--There is little chance of finding much from that except birdshot, Harry replied as the blast replayed in his thoughts. He asked the question that concerned him most. ...What is happening at River, Sandra...?

--She is fine, Har ri na. Oldman says they have closed the store early. Only the café is open until the kitchen is cleaned. You have retreated to your room on the third floor and will talk to no one.

--Very convenient for me, Harry said, smiling wryly and wishing that he were safely behind the doors there. Leonard turned his head, then his ears as if listening; he thought at Harry.

--Lord Sand calls for you. He waits at the war table with the council.

***

"It's a mystery." The detective said flipping through his note pad. The chief looked about the gruesome crime scene and waited for him to continue. "The cellular failures indicate some kind of massive jamming over this entire area. The phone lines and power to the house were cut. You can see the victim's defensive wounds." He indicated the hands that lay next to the head at the feet of the corpse in a bloody pool. "We found these." He held out a bag of flattened bullets. "Very strange slugs, they are lead jacketed iron. Whoever the killer was he must have been wearing Kevlar or some kind of body armor. These..." He said, pointing to the bloody boot prints. "...disappear into the woods. The house was ransacked. Various unknown objet d'art were taken from the walls and the safe emptied. The hard drive of his computer was removed. We don't know all that is missing yet. He was unmarried and had few friends."

"Keep me in the loop," the chief said, and left for the river and the crash site.

***

A group of marines, sprinkled with technicians and men in suits, examined or shifted the twisted pieces of wreckage on the bank of the rolling water. Flashes came from cameras. The media was behind yellow tape; watching, recording, and waiting as they observed the makings of a good news day. On the surface of the river divers descended into the murky water from barges anchored in the vicinity of the downed jet.

"It's a mystery, the Admiral said. It is doubtful that it was mechanical failure; the wreckage we have been able to retrieve is melted and fused with great heat. It seems improbable that anyone would have waited so long to use one of the old weapons you have shown us. You said that they were all recovered." The Admiral waited for the man from Washington to reply; his scowling face revealed oil black eyes that looked at the few melted pieces of metal brought up from the riverbed. He spoke without looking up.

"All but one were recovered," the dark man said; flames of hate burned in his oily eyes; the image of the youth in green armor, covering the retreat of the Fay children so long ago, played in his mind. "We are assuming that it was lost and this is a new threat." He was silent again.

"Do you think there are more up there, UFO's?" The Admiral looked to the sky and wondered.

"They have come before and lost. They will bow down or die." The Admiral looked at the fused wreckage and wondered who 'they' were.

***

Daniel was in the middle of a confrontation with Edgar as Harry moved to the table and waited for his turn. Their loud thoughts rang in the hall as Edgar tried to explain his actions. Edgar stepped away from Daniel then spun around, speaking angrily.

--I will kill the Black Bastards wherever I find them. There will be none living when I finish. If the humans interfere they will die too. His aura flashed with the hate he felt for the Formorians, distaste for he easily led race of man. Dried purple blood crusted in the angry wound on his cheek.

Daniel looked to Margay. She lowered her head miserably and nodded in resigned acceptance to the actions that were forced by her brother's recalcitrant actions and words. Daniel looked at Edgar, holding his eyes.

--Then you will not find them. I have a task for you. Edgar interrupted him, speaking in agitation.

--By the great globe that gives life to us all... Edgar said with irritation. His soul fire reignited in a sudden 'whump' of combustion. ...Will we run from this war? Will we not fight now? His wild eyes and thought searched Daniel with the question.

--Run, Daniel snarled, his anger and impatience tumbled from his thoughts. ...Run! The roar of his thought burst over the hall. Edgar's ears fell back. Daniel continued. ...All snakes have a head and I'm stomping this one as soon as I find it in the twisting coils of its evil body. He put his face close to Edgar's and snarled louder. ...I ...will stomp it, Ed ga ri, at my leisure and not with your instigation. You, however, will command our reserves and be ready when you are called while I maneuver our forces. Edgar was silent in the face of his ire, waiting.

Daniel drew straight, waiting for reply; when there was none he spoke in the formal words of the people.

--Ed ga ri, Savior of the those who fled before the evil, Guardian of the path to the Endless Sea, Brother to Mar gay na Regis, the Mother to the surviving Tir na nOg. Do you stand in service to the Shining People?

Edgar stood tall and proud. He answered in a clear strong voice.

--I do, Lord Sand. Daniel felt the truth in his words, truth that was never in doubt, and loyalty that was never questioned.

--You will return to your service at the temple. Edgar never moved at the words but the tears fell about his face as he blinked them out of his eyes. Daniel continued in a softer voice.

--You will take with you the lesser Fay; they will continue to labor in the Endless Sea, finishing what the few were not able to accomplish. Help them to achieve what was started so long ago without the sweet water. Go now to your chambers.

Harry felt the eye and thought of Daniel fall on him as Edgar strode, straight-backed to the portal between the great oaks; his aura trailed, dragging behind, as if the Great Hall would keep him from leaving.

--Well, Dreamer, there is nothing to do but stumble and continue on, no matter how far to the next step. Need I tell you that you will not fly again until told? Harry shook his head. Daniel searched his face for a moment then continued; ...tumbling stones sometimes bring luck as well as misfortune. Let us give this gift of time our full attention. Come, let us show you the wealth of the temples knowledge.

Daniel turned to where Margay waited with a golden tablet, covered in ideograms. Harry nodded to Wayne then studied the ancient artifact, as Margay began to speak.

--These are the old words of our ancestors that tell the truths of our race, Har ri na; and these, she said indicating several small glassine objects, can decipher those truths by using the emblems on the golden page. She stopped, frowning in thought, and began again. ...We are having some difficulty in using them. We should have studied more before leaving the teachings of he who fell with the shining ship, but we were drawn to the Sweet Water of the land and the bright sun above; we thought of no other thing. Now we pay. She sniffed the air, nose wrinkling, then looked to his vomit soaked tennis shoes. ...Clean up then return to Memphis and bring Sandra, Donna and Mira back immediately. There is a task for you to complete.

***

Once again the Fay were gathered on the heights of the hill. The service of the people was divided now into two great tasks. The Fay descending to the island in the Endless Sea sang the Song of Great Deeds to their brethren who would sing their own Song of War in the Great Hall after the portal was sealed to the island below. Daniel and Edgar stood together, alone with their thoughts, as the lesser Fay moved into the distance of the path.

--I would... Edgar began. Daniel placed a hand on his chest and thought.

--I see it. I know. So would I. When you are needed we will call for you again. The people need stealth now, not force; your time will come again.

--Can you see the length of my grief in hair and beard? Edgar said. Daniel looked to the four that knelt beside the portal that led to the island in the Endless Sea. He thought of the grief in his own, replying.

--Heal your grief, nurture our people, and sharpen your sword. We will call.

***

At the entrance to the temple, Sandra, Donna, Mira, and Margay knelt on the ground together, huddled as if cold; their tears fell from heart torn eyes. The lesser Fay sang as they gladly descended past in the great service in which they were entrusted; it was almost like a conversation between two people as the song talked to itself. The last of the young Fay would soon vanish from view down the shining path in a short time.

Margay rose to her feet as two armored Fay escorted Edgar to the temple below where the island stood above the Endless Sea at the end of the shining path.

--Fare you well until we meet again, Ed gar ri. Hold safe our people. They kissed and held their faces close to each other for a moment then he descended to his island prison with no word or thought. Eleanor followed, a small smile at her lips.

--It is time, Daniel intoned with great solemn thought. He let his feelings of duty to the people wash over those who rose from the ground before him. His regret, sorrow, and determination shone through those feelings. The last of the Fay selected that were not thrice quickened faded into the depths below. Mira stood, head held high, tears wet on her face.

--I will miss you, Guardian, Harry said simply as she looked below. She turned to him and kissed his whiskered cheek, then ran to her father, pressing her face against his chest as he held her tight.

--I will heal him, Har ri na. Beware of strange dogs and remember the stone seeks the foot.

--Momentous steps, Mira. We will see you in our thoughts; the wink was seen by no other. Daniel reluctantly released her; she walked away into the distance of the path. Harry looked to Daniel who nodded.

Sandra came to Harry's side, wrapped an arm around him, hand resting on chest where heavy inhalations and wild heart betrayed his calm thoughts; he took a deep shuddering breath and closed the door to the Endless Sea.

***

Later that night Mira opened the bubbled doorway again as Harry had taught her, standing under the arching buttresses that were the bare trees above the leaf covered floor below the summit.

--Dreamer, are you there? She sent, anxious of discovery.

--Yes Guardian, I am here. how is he?

--Well, he has many keepers here; they throng about him constantly and will not allow him to brood. There are several thrice quickened since the closing. He is teaching his new fledglings to fly as he does. Harry felt the smile in her thought and answered it. ...El la nor is happy now and waits for him to see the spark in her.

--Call quietly, whenever I am needed or you become lonely in your service. I would not have you burn little sister. There was quiet between their shared thought; then, Mira raised the mental image of obeisance between them. He answered in kind.

--I must attend the call of our people, he said to her. Duty showed in his mind.

--And I the needs of those gathered here, she said. Then she was gone. He stepped out of the pissoir and to Sandra as she waited at the portal of Great Oaks for him. They entered together.

***

The gathering in the Great Hall was so very different from the joyful celebration and ceremony of their mating. Harry, Oldman, and Sandra stood alone at the first step of the hall. No procession had accompanied them here; no singing voices and happy thoughts heralded their arrival; and, the press of the people was much reduced. They now merely covered the floor of the vast space. The great oaks were bare of the joyous fruit that had hung there when the people greeted Sandra's mate. The herald's staff boomed from his station before the third step. They walked forward as the echoes died away.

A lane cleared to the distant dais, closing behind them as they walked toward Daniel; he came down the steps of the dais and across the floor toward them, followed by all that were there. They met; Lord Sand and the council of the people, the high Fay that had long pledged their families and fortunes to the unrestricted use of land and sky denied them above, and the kin of Harry that were among the Fay. They formed a circle. Daniel raised the stone surrounding them so that all could see.

Daniel stood above all, turning to those gathered, missing those not there. He called out.

--Would you be free, Shining People? A great roar of affirmation came from them. He nodded agreement.

--So would I. The geis on reproduction is lifted. Release your seed and eggs into the sweet water again. We have a base on the great river to support our efforts as the young reach sentience. Let us seek the next step together. They began singing then, the great throng of Shining People in the Great Hall, under the imagined sky that roofed them. It was somber yet resolute, much deeper than the high joyous song of mating.

--Well, Oldman said, looking out of Harry's eyes. ...We have three things on our side, vision, dreams, and perseverance. Gerry's hand came down on Harry's shoulder.

--You forgot an army of commando's and assassins that are virtually invisible, the LTA's and the love of our people. He said, punctuating the bracing clasp of his hand. Harry took Sandra's hand, looking deep into her eyes.

--Well then, with you on my left, Sandra on my right, Oldman bitching in my ear, and Daniel calling us to the next step, there can be no waiting. Our people, he paused, smiling. ...don their helmet before the next step; so will I.

***

They sat eating, half way to Memphis. Sandra charged the small LTA spear that was slaved to the Escalade parked under the trees at the back of the lot. Oldman stuffed food in her mouth and played with the young mind that grew in her.

--Think she'll take after me, questioned Oldman. Harry sputtered fries as he began playful abuse of the vagrant thought that now settled in contented cohabitation within their minds.

"Oh God," he exclaimed "...please don't let her be an invisible asshole."

Sandra looked to where Leonard and Leon sat, eating and watching from the window of the restaurant. They shared a shaking head and waited for the communication spear to charge so that they could continue to Memphis, conclude the opening of The Fringe, then return to Backwater and their supporting roles in Operation Sweet Water.

***

The opening was a great success the morning after Gabrielle's sweet sixteen party. Her bag drew the attention of the young girls attending. They saw it from her first presentation at the event covered in the society pages the following day. Later, as she danced with the boys that vied for the attention of the lovely young woman, she wrapped it around her waist and through the loop of the soft braided strap to hang at her side, swaying with the movements of her body. Her soft suede socks, rolled to her ankles were equally eye catching when she removed her heels to dance in them.

***

"Where's Mira?" Bob asked, as he moved swiftly around the kitchen, trying to keep up with the increased business the opening created.

"Re-assigned," said Lori. "There will be a new helper tomorrow. You will make pastries and instruct her while you train to do alterations. You can practice on me. Bring more turnovers. The crowd is getting thick." Her smile and coffee pot preceded her to the tables.

***

Later that evening Bob looked up from the bed where he and Lori took a short break just before Cafe' Fringe closed for the night. Her brown eyes seemed to be staring far past the walls of the small bedroom. His feelings spiraled around his contented beating heart, love, gratitude, loyalty, rapture, exhilaration, joy, but mostly peace filled him.

Lori continued her meditation; with unfocused eye and thought, she sought to see the shining paths as Harry did. She let Bob's feelings hold her heart in contented acceptance; but, she had no time for romance while the fate of the Shining People hung in the aftermath of the jets destruction. All of the operations team were shadowing Formorians or their agents as they investigated the incident and the death of the Back One, who had been identified as a high ranking executive of a chemical company. The bell over the door of the cafe' rang.

"Customer," Bob said, jumping to his feet. He walked into the dining room, shutting the bedroom door behind him. Lori moved her awareness to the customer, examining his thoughts and emotions; she found none and bolted for the door.

"Gimmie the cash," the man said, thrusting a gun forward. Bob stopped, taking a step backward, the greeting smile fell from his face. Lori burst through the bedroom door; the Formorian's gun pointed to her.

"No!" Bob shouted, stepping in front of her and raising his arms. The shot rang loud in the confined space. Lori dropped all illusions, rushing past Bob's falling body, striking the robber in the throat with a single thrust of a stiffened hand that struck in a bright flare of energy. His head wobbled on his broken neck, then he fell to the floor.


"Help!"

--Help! Lori shouted as she fell to the floor beside Bob, rolling him on his back. He looked up at her while she pressed her hand against the wound. ...Damn it Robert, I didn't want to love you. Bob looked at her, holding him with no illusion.

"Lori, you're magic; are you an angel? He coughed, bright red blood showed at his lips; his eyes closed. She felt him slipping away into unconsciousness.

Gerry came thundering out of the basement. The bell over the door rang loudly as Leonard burst into the cafe'. Gerry was examining the Formorian; furious black eyes stared back at him in hate from the helpless body. There were burns covering the bruised flesh over his crushed adams apple.

--What did you hit him with? Lori switched hands; holding up her right, fingers folded under, thumb tight to the side. Looking at her blood stained hand, he said ...remind me not to make you angry. No one can see this body. Bob coughed again; more blood erupted from his mouth.

HarryHill
HarryHill
98 Followers