Chronicles of Cain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Although the Clan Tzimice was tainted by a disease called Vicissitude, a shape changing disease that allows the bearer to shift his entire bone structure to look like someone else. The disease grows inside its victim with every use like a cancer, feeding off the user. Until one day, the user is no more, just this disease that has taken his form and life. Pretending to be its user, destroying everything he loved until someone destroys him.

Mercedes was never one to fight in the Shadow Crusade, the fight against the Soul Eaters, and she never really cared. Sure, there have those few that have crossed her path and she dutifully destroyed them. Nevertheless, she felt that she would never take up the Crusade as most Old Clan did. That was not her style.

No she preferred her life of luxury, stealing from the rich and giving to the richer for a price. It was the best way to make a living, she thought. Besides, if she did not do it then someone else would and there goes her profits.

She had a companion that helped her out from time to time. Her name was Maria Gonzales, a cute little Mexican woman. They were lovers and partners, have been for years. They both were Kindred and loved stealing, though Maria preferred the cat burglar technique. She loved the danger; just the chance of being caught in the act of burglarizing a home excited her.

Mercedes thought about calling her in on this job, if she choose to accept it. The elevator ride up to the twentieth floor was a long one. Anticipation built up as the doors opened and two people appeared at the doors. Mercedes seemed a little too jumpy and she had no reason why. She stepped from the elevator as they stepped in and the doors closed.

The hallway was bright and deserted as she strolled down it to room 2069. This is where her employer wanted to meet. She assumed he was a Sabbat vampire that needs some dirty work done and for the right price she would do it.

She knocked quietly on the door, and awaited the invitation to enter.

The room itself was lifeless, at least for Kindred tastes it was. The walls were white with pictures sparsely scattered about the room. There was a big bed against one wall, a table against another, and a dresser with a TV by the entrance of the room.

A man sat at the table reading a local newspaper. "Please come in." the man spoke politely. Therefore, she did, walking over to the bed and sitting upon it. She leaned back as her arms held her up as if posing for a photograph.

He was a small man with graying hair, wearing a three-piece suit. His appearance was very clean and tidy, his hair cut perfect and his fingernails manicured. The lines on his face made him look as if he was in his late forties and his accent suggested that he was of English decent.

The man looked up and was amused, a smile crossing his face. "Mercedes is it?"

"Yes," she replied. She looked around, crossing her long legs as she did. "Nice place."

The man chuckled, "Yes, perhaps it is for human standards. But for my taste it is less than adequate." He stood and walked over to the dresser and opened one of the drawers. Pulling a bottle from the drawer, then two glasses, then offering her one. He filled the glass she held with a fine red liquid from the bottle. "The finest European blood for such a great occasion."

She sipped the blood, tasting the presence of alcohol in the blood. "40 proof as well." she laughed. "And why have you brought me here? If I may be so bold."

"Oh please do. I admire a woman that gets right down to business." He returned to his seat at the table. "Have you ever heard of The Heart of Darkness?"

She jokingly said, "Only in horror movies."

His face went white as marble. "This is no horror movie my dear. It is very real. The Heart of Darkness has existed for centuries. Being passed down from generation to generation by priests in the church. It is kept in a single wooden box that is inscribed with old runes." His eyes were like bright embers of a fire and his voice commanded attention.

"There are many stories about this relic. So many I will not bore you with them. I have found this relic and need to acquire it."

Mercedes was listening and calculating what she thought this relic may be worth. "And you would like to retain my services to obtain this relic?"

"You catch on very quick. It is at the home of an old China man called Maliki. He is over five hundred years old from what I am told." He leaned towards her, his eyes never leaving hers. "He is very powerful. In addition, if my sources are correct he is a blacksmith by trade. I do not know much about this man. He lives in Denver, where he makes his weapons. He comes to Dallas once or twice a year, for what I do not know."

Yes, she thought, the price just tripled. This Maliki was not going to be an easy target. His age proved that. She would have to call in a favor or two just to locate this relic. Then the hard part would come, getting the thing.

"I will pay you handsomely for this artifact. Five hundred thousand dollars is what I had in mind. What do you think?" His gaze glued on her, taking note of every reaction and every response.

"Well," it was not worth it, she thought to herself. This job was worth more than that. "Double the price and I will accept it. One million."

He smiled, "Done!" He poured another drink for her and himself. "I will get you the papers on him tomorrow. Now please lets have a toast." They raised their glasses and drank, sealing the deal.

FALLEN ANGEL

1

Ian D'Amour made making his escape from the confines of the torture chamber a quick, invisible one. First by killing the guards with the two knives the Archbishop had 'given' him.

The ashes of the two assimites lay on the floor as he made his way down the hall and up the stairs. He was in one of the torture rooms in the basement. He guessed he was on the first level of the basement, which meant he only had to go up many levels to leave the Cathedral. Although, there was a voice in his head that told him to go to the Archbishop and demand an explanation for all that has happened here this night.

He made it the top of the stairs just in enough time to duck behind the opening door. Two more guards walked through the door and headed down the stairs. Ian cursed himself for neglecting to obtain one of the guards' swords and for not hiding the ashes of the guards that he had killed. As the two guards rounded the corner Ian came out from hiding and made his way through the door and locked it behind him.

It would not take them long to find the ashes and even less time to get through the door. He darted up the hallway to the service elevator, knowing that only the Cathedral ghouls used the elevator and that was very rare on night as this. The ghouls were probably in their quarters away from all the commotion, none of them daring to get in the way.

Ian rode the elevator up to sub-level 5. The layouts of Cathedrals were very complicated. Since it was the haven to most of the Kindred in the city, the Cathedral had many sub-levels, where the bulk of the kindred roamed. There were living quarters, feeding rooms, libraries, research labs, and training facilities all located in the sub-levels. Then of course there was the basement levels below that. The catacombs and labyrinth was the lowest levels, more than fifty feet below the surface.

Sneaking down the corridor, Ian made his way towards the Archbishop's quarters. He stopped only when he heard Steven's name being called out. He moved closer to the door of one of the guest quarters. He listened closely, but the door muffled the sound too much for him to make out what was being said. He was still weak, but he willed himself to hear, the sounds around him jumped out at him. He could hear the movement of the video cameras the watched the hallways. The movement of the elevator echoed down the hall and a muffled scream came from one of the other rooms. He could also hear the voice of man inside of the room, Marcus Levi.

Marcus was talking to someone and by the sound of it, he was concerned about Steven.

"Steven is more of a problem to us than Ian ever could be. His rise to power has brought up many questions that he can or will not answer." His voice was low and hushed. He was fearful of someone hearing him no doubt. "I am going to suggest that an inquiry be made into this matter, but I already know that nothing will come of it." Ian could hear foot falls, Marcus must be walking throughout the room, perhaps on the phone Ian thought. "That is why I have contacted you. I have another idea that may benefit us both. I realize the you two have never seen eye to eye and it is for that reason that I think this would work."

Ian was appalled at what he was hearing. The door of the elevator opened and he heard what sounded to be dozens of footsteps stomping out of it. Cursing himself again as he realized that he had spent too long listening and the video cameras, that normally he never paid attention to, revealed his location to the guards that were looking for him.

He had to make his way to the Archbishop's quarters, but if he did that then Marcus would surely have reason to carry out his plan and it would likely succeed. If he left now the Archbishop would be safe of the time being. That would give him time to get word to him and help him weed out this traitor.

His farewell to the Archbishop would have to wait until the dust had settled he reasoned. Now was the time to leave, he knew that now. Nothing would be accomplished if he got caught again. Ian ran down the hallway away from the elevator. He went into a room used for local packs. He locked the door behind him hearing a scream as he turned around. Before him was an erotic sight that may have offended him if he were alive.

A woman hanging from bed posts by meat hooks. The meat hooks pierced her hands holding her up as humans may use handcuffs to hold up their lovers. She was gagged and blindfolded as a man was entering her from behind. The gag muffled her screams of pleasure or pain, Ian couldn't tell which.

Not concerned, Ian waited by the door listening for them to run passed the door. The woman's screams increased and her mate quickened his labors. Ian heard the guards pass the room and move down the hall. Ian unlocked the door and cracked the door open enough for him to peer into the hallway. No one could be seen so he opened the door and looked down the hallway. The guards could not be seen so he moved slowly down the hallway to the elevator keeping watch for the guards' return. It was not until the doors on the elevator opened did the guards shouting for him to stop. As the doors closed he saw the door to Marcus Levi's room open and Marcus stepped out.

Ian made his escape out of the Cathedral very easily, and made his way to the edge of the city, wondering the whole time what had just happened and more importantly what would happen to Steven for his betrayal to the Sabbat. Perhaps the Sabbat would get Steven's head after all. Thinking this Ian turned around intending to return to the Cathedral.

A voice in a low growl, "Where do you think you are going?" Ian turned to the source of the voice and froze in terror. The black beast walked out from the shadows slowly revealing it's self as it did so. Before him loomed a living paradox. It stood almost eight feet tall, all muscle and hair, with the head and legs of a great dire wolf. It's hands looked like hairy knives. Yet the beast was not in its most powerful form. This form was glabro, half man half beast, in this form he could talk to its victims. In glabro, the human in him could still be seen.

It's mussel twisted in a half smile half snarl. "You are supposed to be dead now."

Ian's legs felt like they might fail him, but he knew of no danger here. Hellblade was a friend, that is until he became the Sabbat's prime target on their black list. Whether Hellblade was here to kill him or warn him was up to question.

"Even now the Assimites are combing the city looking for you, but now I have you." His great bulk heaved as he breathed. Ian watched Hellblade's tail snake back and forth.

"What do you intend to do Hellblade?" Ian backed away slowly hoping that he wouldn't have to fight him, but his friends have been disappointing him when he needed them the most and he expected nothing more now than betrayal.

Hellblade smiled a many teeth grin when he saw Ian's attempt to flee. "You couldn't get away from me if you tried leech. You know that."

"Yes, but I also know we were friends once-"

"And you are hoping that our friendship means more to me than my service to the Archbishop." Hellblade drew his black sword that seemed to pulsate with energy. "Kill the corpse! Fuck'em up! Fuck'em up!" a high pitched voice rained from the sword.

Hellblade smiled again and nodded. "Sorry Ian I do have my orders-"

"The Archbishop told you to kill me?" Ian asked. Hellblade nodded. "Then why did he help me escape?"

Hellblade stopped, suspecting some trick but he couldn't find any trace of lie on Ian's face. "The Archbishop freed you? Why?"

Ian threw back his head, "Can't you see. Its because he was told to kill me. But he didn't want to and you know as well as I do. No one, but no one is going to tell him what to do. So he did it as a statement. And now Marcus is trying to do something to him. Listen before I left I over heard Marcus talking with someone about getting rid of Steven."

Hellblade's face twisted in confusion. "Then why did he tell me to find you and kill you? And what does Marcus have to do with this?"

"Hellblade, he didn't expect you to find me. It's because I stayed behind to try to see the Archbishop that you even found me. That's when I heard him, Marcus talking about taking over Dallas."

They walked down the side of the road past a thick grove of trees and brush. As the approached the trees something from within the grove moved.

Hellblade heard rapid footsteps, and a shadow moved away at incredible speed.

"What the? Did you have someone with you?'' Ian asked.

"No!" Hellblade replied in one long growl.

"You must find out who-"

Hellblade interrupted him, "I already know who it was." He sniffed the air and grinned. "Yes it was David Strand."

"Steven's Bishop? You must stop him, he knows now that the Archbishop freed me. He must be the one that Marcus was talking to. You must find him and silence him before he has a chance to tell the Cardinal."

Hellblade turned back to Ian. "And what about you? Should I just let you go?"

"What do you want me to do, just give you my head? Think about it Hellblade! If David had nothing to hide why didn't he show himself? Why run? He wants the Archbishop's position." Hellblade though a moment finally realizing the truth. David did want to be the Archbishop and, the fact that David had a score to settle with Steven already confirmed it even more. And if David succeeded in deposing Steven, then he was surely next, because he had a score to settle with him as well. "I'll let you go this time, but if I find out that you lied then there is nowhere you can hide that I won't find you."

Ian smiled in gratitude. "I do not lie, in fact I'll be back this way in a few weeks to check in on you and the Archbishop. Okay? Send word of where I can find you to the Ascension Club. I'll go there when I come back. And please do me a favor, take care of Alison for me and tell her I'm safe."

Hellblade urinated on the ground and stepped in his piss. "I will Ian, and good luck." So saying he concentrated and after chanting a few words, the piss began to glow and Hellblade sank into the Umbra.

Ian turned breathing a prayer for Steven and left, heading north.

2

A feeling of exaltation and power flowed through David's veins as he returned to the Cathedral. David was waiting for the right time execute his plan and now he would tell the Cardinal of Steven's plan and of his release of Ian and request that Steven be punished for his crimes against the Sabbat. The reward for such information would be great, and the Cardinal himself had already stated that Steven must go. So he would request for the right to rule Dallas as Archbishop and the right to destroy Steven and all of those that followed him.

He only needed to get to the Cathedral and report, but there was also one loose end that had to be taken care of, Hellblade.

Hellblade may try to stop him, but no one knows how he is going to react, no one ever does. Hellblade is mysterious in his own right. A lupine of his power and influence should be an elder of his pack, but Hellblade refuses give up his freedom for that power. In fact the power that he would gain as an elder wasn't much at all, Hellblade once told David that he had more power now than any of the elders had.

Yes, Hellblade would be a problem, but once the Cardinal knew of the Archbishop's betrayal there would be nothing Hellblade could do would stop Steven's death.

Even now as he walked into the Cathedral, he ordered the guards to bolt and lock the doors letting no one in. "And if Hellblade shows up, kill him." David ordered.

The guards exchanged stunned looks, "But why Sire?" one of them asked.

"He's a lupine spy you fool! I have received reports that he was the one that freed the prisoner and he was planning to kill the Archbishop and Cardinal you fools!"

The guards' shook their heads in disbelief, but bowed in acquiesce.

Good, David thought, "Now for the Cardinal," he spoke aloud now. He made his way to his room. The Cardinal was still in Dallas, unknown by the Archbishop. In fact the Cardinal had been using David's room from time to time to spy on Steven. This is where Marcus was now, sitting alone in the dark room, hovering over one of Steven's many books.

Marcus looked up as David entered.

"Life is grand!" he sang as he entered his room and locked the door behind him. "Ooh!" he cooed, "Do I have a story for you..."

3

Steven sat alone in one of the grand hall of the Cathedral. He sat in silence disturbed by its presence. A few short hours ago the Cathedral had been thumping with activity, as the guards searched the Cathedral for Ian. But when no trace had been found those guards were then sent out into the city looking for the man.

Of course they wouldn't find him, Steven had in fact already saw to it that the prisoner had escaped in plenty of time to avoid any pursuit. Although when he dispatched Hellblade to look for Ian he had realized that it may have been a mistake. Because who knows how long the lupine would search and if he did find Ian then Ian would surely die, but that wasn't his concern. He had given his friend a chance to escape and if Ian fouled that up then he deserved to die.

Satarin, an old blind Mexican Toreador, walked into the hall. A ghoul, a human that feeds on the blood of vampires, guided him into the hall. Satarin was a local gunrunner and fixer. He found things that most people didn't even know existed.

The Toreador clan was a clan of art lovers; they painted, sang, and composed. Satarin was a musician and owned his own nightclub called The Aztec Club. This is also where he ran his guns.

Satarin walked up to the Archbishop, leaving the ghoul standing behind him. He smiled as he did this, kneeling before the Archbishop.

"Over here Satarin." Steven stated smiling. Steven watched Satarin rise from in front of the table that was next to the throne.

Satarin, pretending to look around, shrugged his shoulders and walked over to the throne. "Sorry Sire. You sent for me?"

Steven waved for the ghoul to leave. The ghoul obeyed, turning and closing the hall doors as he left.

"Yes, I have a job that is of dire importance." Steven watched the man before him. Satarin may have been blind, but he was far from handicapped. With every sound that was made, Satarin made a reaction to it, he seemed to pinpoint its location then decide if it was hostile or friendly. "There is a man that I need followed. You may know him, Marcus Levi, the Cardinal."