Cities of Power Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,527 Followers

"They can stay as long as the peanut gallery stays quiet," Gale said. He had hoped that Talon would like to do this in a smaller arena, but the men and the quorum were strong minded and protective of their leader.

"I'd like Sirrus to be involved in the discussion. I like the way his mind works through information," Talon agreed. "We'll need some space for his pacing, however, so, if you could, make a small space between you that he can walk through."

"Good grief," Sirrus rolled his eyes. "I'm not that bad!" He appealed to his father for support, but could see the merriment in his eyes, even though Gale had managed to keep a straight face while his friends chuckled quietly. "Fine then, start from the beginning when the Quorum arrived at Pegasus, and we'll jump in with questions and what we know now as you go along." He accepted the good natured teasing for what it was.

The warriors of Phoenix stayed up most of the night discussing the events of the last week until they became confused by the going around in circles of their assumptions and predictions of what it all meant and if the mystics of Pegasus were right. When the men of the delegation finally left to find their beds, Sirrus and Talon took one of the twin bedrooms and lay on the small cots, unable to sleep.

"Tell me the prophecy again. I know it's not complete, but tell me one more time," Sirrus pushed.

"The first two verses deal with the present," Talon said in a tired voice, even though his mind still twisted with every thought. "The next two are imminent, and the last two the future, I believe, but without more information there's no way to get an accurate timeline of imminent or future," he sighed.

"Just tell me the verses. I want to think about it a bit more, and who knows, maybe dream an interpretation we haven't thought of. There has to be another meaning aside of your child bringing doom to our cities."

"Flight of Hawks travel swift and true

Flight of unicorn and peril ensue

Flight of elements no equal share

Fly four, fly three, water, earth, fire, air

Come roaring, goring, warring beasts

Come set the stage for carrion feasts

Come beat your chest and shout your ire

Could fate but wait for one man's desire

Desire the moon, the stars at night

Desire the comet radiant bright

Desire the Unicorn by stars bejewelled

Dancing elusive beast, so easily fooled

Break upon the walls of lowly man's power

Break upon the stones of a crumbled tower

Break upon the shores of crystal clear lake

Big men march when the earth does quake

Son of the hammer, son of the jewel

Son of the end will stand to rule

Son of the people, son of the light

Sovereign rule, by day, by night.

Wings broken, Pegasus flies no more

Wings clipped Gryphon cannot soar

Wings become ash as Phoenix is reborn

Three become four at the watery dawn."

Talon finished the rhyming prophecy with another long drawn out yawn.

"The first three verses could be the present and quite separate from the final three verses which don't mention a hawk or a unicorn or us at all. You are not the hammer, nor is Trix the jewel, because you are the hawk and the unicorn. I feel like there is a vital piece missing, and I can't wrap my head around it," Sirrus mused.

"Go find that dream, my friend. I am done talking about it tonight," Talon murmured, his thoughts firmly on Trix and where she could be as he willed himself to dream as the mystics did and find where she was hidden.

*****

It was difficult to disguise his height and breadth, so Flint had not bothered trying to sulk into villages and stick to the shadows. He always strode in and confidently asked where he could find the leader of each village and tiny outpost. He bartered his skill with the blacksmith's hammer for food and a comfortable place to sleep for the night. He had tried to stick to the smaller villages that were newer and that he hadn't visited before to hide their identities from anyone who might report their where abouts to the people who searched for Trix, or travellers who were heading to what was now being called the town of Sparta. He had smiled at the name when he had first heard it, and wondered if his father knew the village had been named for him and given the classification of town.

Trix had begun to settle into the routine of life on the road with Flint. Smaller villages of faith looked at them with suspicion, but the distance between the larger villages was too large for her to walk within a day. They had begun walking south toward Gryphon, hoping to lay a false trail before turning towards Phoenix and the possibility of seeking help from Mica if they became trapped. It was to Gryphon that those seeking asylum against injustice would go, and Opal had suggested that those that hunted Trix would believe that was their destination. The plan was, though, to find a small village without a blacksmith closer to Phoenix and carve out a comfortable life so Trix could have her baby in relative safety. Gaylen had assured them that as long as they wore the powerful amulets that he and his wife had given up for them that the Mystics would not be able to find them.

After hearing a rumour of Phoenix warriors combing the countryside for a brother and sister, Flint worried that the people in the smaller towns of faith who had welcomed them so warmly would be in danger for harbouring them, so he decided on a new plan of action. He didn't want anyone hurt because of him. He had made his choice to look after his sister, they, on the other hand, were just being good neighbours, with no idea of the peril they faced. Although his rational thought that turning toward the bandit village of Judah was not worth the risk to Trix, he felt an irrational belief that it was the only place he could keep her safe.

It took them almost two weeks to make it to the small valley that hid the village of Judah, and, although she had argued with Flint that she might be recognised, he had insisted that they stop there for a few days at least so she could recover from the constant travel. He reasoned that if Talon had met and taken Mica there that Judah may hide them, not wanting to lose another metal worker to the great city. He seemed unable to tell her about being drawn here, despite the danger, and argued logically instead. The bandits at least would protect them, if only for their own reasons, and Flint had decided to make himself invaluable to them. The bandits may be untrustworthy, but they were bound by a code of ethics that would not see Trix turned over to whoever hunted her. Not if Flint proved himself and his skills invaluable to them.

A man came walking along the road from the village, and Flint moved rapidly to shield Trix from his view. He tensed as he continued to walk slowly toward a small stand of trees by the side of the road. Confident in his size and his strength in a man to man fight, his eyes darted around to see if any others hid nearby in the undulating landscape covered in long grass. The man stopped well out of his reach and considered him for long silent moments before speaking.

"Brother of Mica?" he tilted his head. "We have been expecting you. You are bigger than he, but the features are similar." He said, not waiting for confirmation of what he could see before him. "And the brave girl who sought to fool the warriors and save her brother, Mica, if I am not mistaken."

"I think you are mistaken, neighbour," Flint said carefully. "I am Stone, and this is my wife, Teale. We seek only shelter for the night, our journey has been long and tiring."

"All three of the cities search for you. It is a mystery that Judah is curious about and is willing to share the safety of his home with you in return for your story of events. Why do they seek you, girl?" he looked past Flint to where Trix stood in his shadow. "Judah has sent me to offer you protection from those who seek you. If you follow me, no harm will come to you." the man said.

"Why would Judah do that?" Flint asked cautiously.

"Who knows why Judah does anything, but he is a canny man, and his men are loyal. If he offers you his protection, you can be guaranteed the hunters will not find you while you stay with us. Come, it's getting late, and you are in need of rest. Mica trusted us as we trusted him; he became one of us, in a way. If nothing else that should be enough for you to put one foot in front of the other and find out for yourself why Judah would offer you sanctuary." Once again he turned, and this time walked over the small hill in front of them. Flint shrugged and followed cautiously, discovering an old wagon within the scraggly half dead stand of trees he had been heading towards.

"Watchers are on the road and around the town. They are not smart enough to be so far out, and you were clever enough to stay off the main roads, so I'll get you into our village unseen and get my reward for bringing you to possibly the only safe haven in this god forsaken world," he chuckled.

"If you're planning to use this wagon, you should think again," Flint looked at the broken axle and weather bowed timbers.

"Not everything is as it seems," he winked. "I'm Samael, by the way, so that you know who to thank once you are settled into the village. Follow me, friends." The man slid under the wagon and seemed to disappear into the earth. "Lower the girl down, I will catch her. You have to trust someone, and it may as well be me for now."

Flint froze, his brain told him to be cautious and ask more questions rather than walk blindly into danger, but his brain fought with an overwhelming desire to obey Samael's instructions and follow him into the earth. Trix could see the doubt in Flint's eyes and, believing the man's story, decided for her brother by moving around the wagon and sliding down into the hole, knowing he would follow her quickly.

"She's a brave one alright," Samael chuckled as he caught her and moved her out of the way as Flint threw the packs in and followed her into the underground tunnel. "Judah found the old mine when he took over this village. Mica worked on a few things down here to make it more hospitable," he added, pointing to a small wagon on a rail. "She and the packs can ride on this while we walk, it will be quicker that way, and we have some distance to cover."

Samael picked up a long handle as Flint made sure the packs and Trix were settled and went to help pull the wagon along the metal bar to which it was attached. Without the sun, time seemed to stand still, and Flint felt like he had been walking for hours and listening to the incessant chatter of the man who had brought them to the dark and gloomy place. Trix had long since fallen asleep on the packs to the steady rocking of the wagon.

When the tunnel opened out, it was into a cavern that Flint hadn't been expecting. He looked around, grateful for the space that took away the closed in feeling that had been pressing down on him. The cavern wasn't large, but its roof was high above them, and he stretched, not realising he had been walking in a stooped position over the last few miles.

"I'll carry the packs if you carry the girl," Samael offered.

"I'm awake, and quite capable of walking by myself, thank you," Trix said, her voice made raspy by thirst.

"I'll still carry a pack, it's a long way up, and she may need some help," Samael indicated a ramp that seemed to wind around the cavern leading up into the roofline.

Flint continued to say nothing, but took everything in. He followed the bandit up the ramp, grateful that he seemed to have finally run out of chatter. He followed close behind Trix, ready to pick her up and carry her at any sign of fatigue. He knew it was wrong, but he felt like he had fallen even more in love with her as they had travelled together. She was good and kind and more beautiful inside and out than any of the other women he had met along the way. He craved the tight embraces she gave him so freely, and it took willpower not to pick her up and hold her against his body as they trudged up the walkway. He shook his head, telling himself to discard the feelings yet again, he was tired, and his guard was down. She was his sister, and he needed to keep that in his mind. What he wanted could never happen, and he had to find a better way to deal with that. It would be better once they got to the top and met with Judah, and he had another problem to take his mind off the taboo love he felt for Trix.

"I need you to stay hidden, not all the inhabitants of our city are in the inner circle," Samael said as they neared the top of the ramp. "Only a chosen few know of this tunnel, and we would rather it stayed that way."

Flint wasn't about to argue. That was the first sensible thing this fool had said during the whole journey. He looked around as they exited the tunnel into a walled garden. He was shocked to see flowers, small trees and a fountain structure had been built beautifully, even though no water flowed. Water was still too scarce in the outlying villages to be wasted on such frivolities. He looked up and saw the stars as he breathed deeply of the fresh air. He was in no hurry to enter the tunnel again.

"Wait here, you will be safe if you just wait here," Samael moved both hands in a downward motion as if to gentle a wild horse from bolting. "I will bring you some water and send word to Judah, just stay here."

"Where would we go? We have no idea where we are," Trix gave a soft laugh as she watched the man turn and hurry from the courtyard.

"So, I guess the question of whether they would recognise you or not is solved," Flint approached her, speaking softly.

"You were right, as usual. It sounds like we will be safer here than elsewhere, and they know we are hunted, so if they are in any danger then it is of their own doing," Trix said, feeling relief that they had found a place that wanted them. She hoped that, being a bandit village, she may be able to get a message to Talon now if a warrior stopped there to rest.

"We don't know that for sure. Judah may have an agenda of his own," Flint said thoughtfully.

"Why would he welcome us and send people to guide us in unseen if he meant us harm?" Trix looked at Flint, worry creeping into her expression.

"We don't know why he did it, is all I am saying. We need to keep our guard up, even still. I promised to keep you safe, Trix, and I'm not about to believe the platitudes of a bandit without proof of his honour," he wrapped his arms around her in an effort to comfort and soothe her anxiety, hating himself for wanting so much more than the embrace she offered in return.

"So, the brother and sister turned newlyweds have arrived," Judah said, walking into the courtyard. "Welcome to my home."

"Thank you for your assistance," Flint stepped forward and held out his hand in greeting. He found the other man had a firm handshake and looked him in the eye, not the actions of a man with a hidden agenda, he considered, but his experience of the world was limited to trade dealings with friendly towns of faith. Only Mica had ever visited the bandit villages against the wishes of their father.

"You helped yourselves a great deal. Tell me, where did you come by the shielding amulets you wear?" Judah asked, although he already knew the answer.

"Our amulets?" Flint put his hand to his chest in surprise that Judah would know about their amulets. "Friends who had once belonged to Pegasus gave up their amulets for us."

"So that is why you ran? You knew you were being sought by Pegasus?" Judah pressed further.

"No," Trix butted into the exchange. "We ran because I am with child and didn't want to disgrace my father and mother. Flint agreed to accompany me until I can find a safe place to have the child. Then we will return home."

"Honesty," Judah mused. "How very refreshing. I take it that the baby isn't yours then?" he addressed Flint.

"No!" he shook his head, denying the accusation that he had bedded his sister. His misery that he had thought about doing just that only minutes before showed in his vehement reply to the accusation.

"It's a lot more common than you know, brothers and sisters," Judah chuckled. "There are no judgements here. You can live as husband and wife while you are under my protection. Who is the father?"

"I'd rather not say," Trix said quietly before Flint could say anything.

"It matters not, my interest lies in your brothers rather than you and the father of your child," Judah said with a nonchalance that belied his curiosity about the Hawk who had fathered her child and how they came together. "Your father is Spar, the Hammer of the North, and your mother is named for a jewel?" he asked.

"The hammer of the north?" Flint gave an incredulous laugh. "I haven't heard that before."

"I imagine you will before long. The name and legend of the man building the fourth city, Sparta, in the north, spread daily through the pilgrims and runaways who wish to seek out such a place," Judah smiled at their obvious confusion. "Come sit, Samael is bringing food," he guided them to a wooden table with bench seats.

"I have missed Mica greatly since they took him to Phoenix, so it is good to meet one of his brothers," Judah said in a friendly way. "Tell me about yourself?"

"Flint is a twin," Trix put in easily, as Flint seemed to struggle with having to talk about himself.

"Your twin would be Emery, Mica spoke about you both and the oldest brother, Cobalt," Judah added, trying to draw the big man out of his shell.

"You seem to know a lot about us," Trix commented.

"Mica always spoke too much," Flint murmured, looking up as Samael entered the courtyard again.

The conversation became lively as they spoke about life in the bandit village and what Flint's role would be there if he stayed. Trix was also given several options to work and become part of village life. Judah put restrictions of both of their movements and the areas of the village they could go freely. He didn't want visitors or those he didn't fully trust seeing them and reporting their whereabouts to others. The roles they could take on were restricted to the fortress hidden within the hill behind the village.

"Do you have many warriors from Phoenix pass through? Do you think I could get a message to Mica?" Trix asked after agreeing to the restrictions Judah asked for in return for the safety he was offering.

"Powerful people seek you out, and no matter how misguided they are it is not worth the risk of being discovered," Judah said candidly.

"Why do they seek me, I don't understand?" Trix said. "I don't have the gift of sight like the people of Pegasus. Why would they even care about a simple village girl?"

"There is a prophecy that names you as the catalyst for change... You and the father of your baby. People are often afraid of change and new ideas and react badly, not taking the time to be sure of their actions," he said cryptically. "I, on the other hand, have greater insight into such things than most and can see through the riddles to know that who they should be searching for is not you or your child but your brother."

"Do you have the gift?" Trix asked, watching him carefully. "Is that how you knew we wore amulets?"

"You are a very clever girl, just as we suspected," he acknowledged. "I would like to spend some time with you in my library and have you help me puzzle out some riddles."

"Why would anyone search for me?" Flint asked after digesting the information.

"A verse from the prophecy reads: Son of the hammer, son of the jewel, Son of the end will stand to rule, Son of the people, son of the light, Sovereign rule, by day, by night," Judah intoned. "While some believe that the baby of the Hawk and the Unicorn will be that son, it is because they are fixed in the present verses and have not looked far enough to the future to know who the Hammer and the Jewel are," he explained.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,527 Followers