Cities of Power Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,510 Followers

Talon looked around considering the building in which they stood. It was a large open space with two doors and no windows allowing for solitude for those who came to seek solace here. It was more easily defensible than the house of Spar and Opal, which he had broken into on more than one occasion. He knew the man wouldn't like being ordered around, but he hoped he would put the lives of his children before his ego.

He turned to the group and outlined his concerns, asking for suggestions and gently prodding them toward his plan to remain safe for the night without the hidden wards of Judah's village. He took Spar to the side and asked his advice on setting a watch, and if any of the townsmen could be trusted enough to help out during the night. He employed Opal and her friend, Shaylee, to provide food and bedding for those that would stay within the sanctum, all the while distracting everyone from the sleeping fog Judah had spun around the minds of the two fanatics who finally fell into silence.

"Nothing will harm any of your children while I have life and the spirit to fight," Talon reassured Spar. "Come sit and rest with me once you have your men in place. I fear it will be a long night for both of us."

*****

Spar had watched Talon closely throughout the sleepless night. Each time new men came to take over a watch Talon went to greet them with a warrior's grip and an easy smile, making sure he knew the name and face of each man who was allowed near Trix and her brothers. Talon stayed close to Trix until she fell asleep, then moved round the sanctum speaking to the others who remained awake, including Judah, who had somehow managed to subdue the fanatics and was sitting watching them carefully near a small fire. Talon had explained that keeping them in the bright light of the fire would make them night-blind and less likely to be able to see anything but hazy shadows on the other side of the room where Spar's family slept.

"You know," Talon said. "Mica is the best metalsmith we have ever had in our clan. He is highly respected there, not only by the warriors but the ruling families and his apprentices alike. There is a long list of men waiting for Mica to take on another apprentice."

"He always preferred the more delicate jobs. He had nimble fingers that preferred the smaller tools rather than the big hammers and tongs," Spar mused. "I always thought he would be a jeweller. I made him his own set jewellers' tools and a leather case to carry them in."

"He has them in Phoenix. He carries them with him always. Trix gave them to me to take to him on one of my visits here when I brought the first letters from Mica after he left with us," Talon nodded. "He works on our bikes mostly now, but he still makes trinkets for Trix. He misses you all. I am glad the bridge between the two of you is being mended."

Spar grunted and turned to look at his youngest son who slept soundly close to his sister. Mica had always been rash and headstrong; it hadn't surprised him that he had volunteered to go in the place of his brothers to ensure the safe return of his sister.

"He has always had a knack for mechanical things," Spar jutted his chin out indicating the large bikes that crowded the far wall where the benches had been pushed out of the way.

"He's better than some of the so-called technology experts. He's been tinkering with some of the systems on our bikes, making them better. The power cells had practically doubled their life now and take less time to recharge when in the sun," Talon chuckled. "His brothers seem to think they can out-do him though, and Emery has been fiddling with one of the bikes from a warrior of the earth clan. She's enjoying having a metal worker all to herself and claims he's a miracle worker."

"He has always favoured strong women. They think I don't take note of such things, but a father is always watching," Spar said gruffly. "All except Trix, I left her to her mother, which is to my shame. Had I been more vigilant we would not be sitting here now with you telling me things about my children that I should know."

"The prophecy would have found a way to bring Trix and I together, regardless," Talon said. "To fight the prophecy is useless, it only harms the innocents, the main players must survive to tell the tale. Your children are just such players as are you and your wife. Staying here only endangers the innocents who live in this town. I fear it was wrong to bring you all together again. This is your place, and, by yourselves, you and Opal are of no concern to those who look to change the fate of the world through thwarting the prophecy. It is your sons that need to be protected as they find their place in the new world. Trix and I have had our time in the prophecy, and we began the series of events that brought us all here. It's them who will leave their mark on this world," Talon indicated the sleeping brothers.

"I'm not so sure about that," Spar grumbled. "They said there would be five, and that you would be a son in the end. I expect that once you make an honest woman of my daughter, that would be true."

"I had planned to ask your permission formally while we were here, but, as usual, more pressing matters prevailed," Talon sighed. "I had hoped after our conversation earlier this afternoon that you wouldn't be opposed to our marriage if we visited often."

"I assume that, even if I were opposed it, you would marry anyway and then I would never see my daughter or grandchildren. Opal would never forgive me for that, especially as she blames me for the loss of Trix to begin with," Spar grumbled.

"I can't deny what you say, but it would be better to know we were welcome here, especially should there be children," Talon admitted.

"Well, you have a prophet, and the family is gathered for what might be the last time until this prophecy runs its course. Perhaps now is the time to make the vows. It would be good for Opal to know Trix was wed and had my blessing," Spar said, surprising himself with how much he had come to like this young man within such a short amount of time.

"Perhaps you're onto something there, but first we need to take care of the more pressing matters," Talon came to his feet noticing the changing of the watch, and he moved to meet the new watchmen and find out their names.

'It could have been far different,' Spar thought as he watched Talon go through his routine of suggesting he had been expecting Mason to try and trip up the men who came to take a watch and make sure they were villagers and not someone intent on harming the people within. He didn't like what had happened to Trix, but if he had to lose her, he was satisfied that this man would care for her properly and not treat her like a peasant or a slave from an outlying village as some girls had the misfortune of being. Spar did not doubt that Talon would be true to his word and bring her home to visit often, and at least Mica was in Phoenix as well.

Spar's attention fell on his youngest son, a Master metal worker and free man, respected and lauded for his work. His heart swelled with pride. It was hard to admit he was a grown man now with a life of his own. It was hard to believe that of any of his sons, but as he watched them, he had to admit he had been holding them back, despite their abilities. He taught them well from a young age, they had grown up strong with a good sense of right and wrong, and he was proud of each of them.

"It is hard to believe we were that young once," he said quietly to Opal, who had woken and come to sit with him.

"I wasn't much older than Trix when I fell in love and left my home to be with the one who stole my heart," Opal said quietly. "They all consider Talon a friend," she added, motioning toward the sleeping figures of her children. "Don't be too hard on him. I believe he loves Trix and our boys as if they were his brothers."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Spar said, and stroked his beard thinking of what the fanatic had said about each of his sons and the fifth son, Talon. "I think I missed the part where they grew into men with minds and destinies of their own," Spar grumbled. "Best we see to the wedding then before they leave," he smiled down at his wife, who gasped in surprised.

*****

"Something is brewing out there," Talon narrowed his eyes as he turned toward the east. The sun struggled to rise over a hazy horizon. He'd been told such a phenomenon told of sandstorms in the great sandy waste beyond the foothills and plains. He had always been within the safety of Phoenix when the event had occurred in the past. He had never considered how the towns survived such storms.

"Sandstorm," Spar nodded. "They usually peter out over the plains. Even with our position on the edge of the foothills, we have never had to suffer through more than the noise and lightning show from the storms."

"With everything else that's been happening lately, I have a bad feeling about the look of the sky, it seems far too hazy for a normal sandstorm," Talon said slowly. He hadn't taken his eyes from the strange haze that tried to stop the sun from rising.

"Could be we haven't had one in some time," Spar considered the young man.

"Judah should check it out, and if he has the same feeling, we'll ride out on the plains for a little while and check it out," Talon said decisively.

"Is that wise?" Spar frowned.

"Wiser than sitting here and letting it come without knowing what it is," Talon turned and walked back into the building, unable to shake the ill feeling he got from the storm and not wanting to worry Spar or his family any further than he already had.

Judah, too, felt the ominous sense of foreboding that had captured Talon, and an hour later the two men rode out onto the plain to get a better look at the brewing storm.

"We need the others," Judah said, looking at the dark clouds that hung in the sky and flashed with electricity. There were no great clouds of dust and sand beneath them, and the lack of surface water anywhere in this world made the electrical storm heading toward them unlikely to be a natural phenomenon.

"We hold no elemental magic," Talon said sadly.

"Perhaps, perhaps not, but together it will be more than I can summon by myself," Judah said. "This town is unlikely to bear the brunt of that storm and survive without them. Even if you evacuate Trix and her family, there are many others who may not survive, if, as we assume, it is coming for you."

"Would it not follow us to the bandit village where we could take refuge in the caves?" Talon reasoned.

"I doubt even the creator of it could turn a storm that size now," Judah said authoritatively. "We need the others, and I have sent for them already. We stay here for now." It was a command, and Talon realised it as he took one last look at the slow-moving storm and turned his bike back toward the village.

When they returned, Talon was confused by the amount of activity there was in the village. He wondered if Spar had taken his concerns seriously and had decided to prepare the people of the small town for the coming storm.

"Time to get cleaned up," Mica said, as Talon walked his bike toward the sanctum.

"It was pretty dusty out there, but there is no sandstorm," Talon looked down at his clothes thinking that he barely bore the stains of travel since leaving the bandit village over twenty-four hours ago. "I need to find your father before I do anything else; Judah has summoned all of our friends to help us here. How do you think the towns' people will feel about so many warriors invading their town?"

"We could always tell them they were wedding guests. It's probably going to be harder for you choosing just one as your best man," Mica chuckled.

"What?" Talon asked as Mica's words sunk in. His mind had been so resolutely on the coming storm and Spar's reaction to his quorum arriving that he had dismissed the word wedding until he chuckled.

"Seems the only way they will let Trix leave with you again is if you are married first. When I say they, I mean Mother, but Father is happy to go along with her plans this time," Mica continued to grin at Talon, who sighed as he realised he had no choice in this wedding. He wanted to marry Trix, and he had said as much to both her parents, it was just the timing of the event that made him reticent. Surprisingly, the thought of his friends arriving brought him a feeling of comfort rather than trepidation now. Mica was right, they could say they had arrived for the wedding. It was a far better choice than scaring the towns' people with tales of a magical storm.

"I still need to talk to Spar," Talon said, "So whatever you have in mind for me will have to wait." He walked through the town to the sanctum and moved his bike within. What they would need is a large house that backed onto the wall nearest the quarry that lay on the east side on the village. The cliff face of the quarry would afford them some protection on at least one side, while the high town walls and buildings which offer some resistance as the storm moved over them. He put his bike with the others, which still sat in the sanctum, and went in search of Spar.

In a short amount of time Spar had assembled the town council and Judah was addressing them as Talon sat quietly listening to the argumentative towns folk declare that they needed no help from the cities which had spurned them as not being good enough to join their ranks.

"If I may," Talon said in a deceptively quiet voice. "You all have your reasons for not liking the people in the ruling houses of the cities of power, and, honestly I can't blame you, but how many of you have met any aside of those that were in the petition council?" Talon asked simply. "Admittedly, in my town, we do not have the number of petitioners that the other cities do, but I fear you are judging with a narrow view of those who reside there. Perhaps that tainted view is why Mica and Mason were reticent to return after ensuring apprentices had been trained to take their place. Would you view them with the same suspicions and hatred if they had returned as free men?"

"Of course not," Rock furrowed his brow.

"My allies come to help you survive this coming storm, and you would turn away their help just because they were not born here, just because you were once turned away from a city gate?" Talon asked reasonably. "You each have great skill honed from times of need here amongst your family and friends. Skills you couldn't have learned from the people of the city because you are far better than our craftsmen. Be proud of that instead of fearing people who have no power over you."

"Who is to say after seeing the skilled men we have here your friends won't take more of our children?" Thatch asked scornfully.

"We asked for a volunteer and Mica came with us willingly. He is respected and treated as an important member of my clan and our city. He has been free to come home since his first week there, and yet he and Mason choose to stay. Why do you think that is?" Talon challenged them.

"I can guarantee you that the men and women who arrive here today come as friends and allies, not only of mine, but Trix and her brothers. Each of them would follow Flint as they would me. Each of them calls Mica and Emery friend, and each of them has no intention of disturbing the fragile peace we have wrought with our visit," Talon held a sincerity in his voice which captivated his audience. "We need their help if this town is to survive, you can't do it alone, despite all your arguments. The storm facing us is not natural, and I will not risk Trix's life or that of any of my friends because of your out-dated prejudices!"

"Walk to the edge of the plains and see for yourself," Cobalt said, walking into the gathering. "That is no sandstorm, and those of us who went to look at the storm agree with Talon. We are going to need a miracle to survive this. If his friends can help, then we say let them come."

"Who is we?" Thatch asked, looking around. Cobalt whistled, and a group of young men from the town walked into the council room, including Thatch's son, Reed.

"Dad, you, and everyone here, have built this town to keep your families safe and happy, but this storm could destroy it all. Would you honestly want to destroy the future you have built for us because you wouldn't accept the help offered because you didn't like where it was coming from?"

"The question is not what they are offering, but what will they want in return?" Thatch argued with his son. "I will not lose you to the cities as my friends have lost their sons."

"Spar's sons have returned, and Mica is adamant that he will bring Mason with him next time now that he knows he is welcome to visit. It is to my shame that he felt unable to return home because of our reactions, not because they have been held from us," Rock said sadly. "It is to all of our shame that our children are fearful of the city men who now offer us help in a time of need." The large stoic man had stayed silent as the argument raged, but seeing Cobalt and the future leaders of their town standing before them and arguing the side of Talon made him realise what was needed here was rational logic. "Aside of Mica and Mason, who both left willingly to pursue their dreams, when have any of you heard of a warrior attacking a freeman or a village?"

"It's true, those that leave the cities as runaways fear the hunting parties, but have any of us ever seen one? Heard of one in a nearby village?" Gaylen asked. "Had the mystics of Pegasus truly wanted me back they would have interfered with my thoughts, not sent a hunting party. The big men of Justice haven't marched into the foothills for a very long time, and Phoenix has no runaways that I am aware of, though they would probably go to the bandit villages rather than those of Faith and Justice."

"The caste system of the cities will always breed discontent and allow for runaways, but with the petition days it has not been a hardship for any city," Talon nodded. "Hunting parties are a thing of the past, and more to dissuade runaways than retrieving them. The ruling families are another matter, however, and we will seek out a missing warrior if they have fallen, or been brought down by bandits."

A shallow muted rumble of thunder reached them in the council chamber, and Judah looked heavenward, despite the roof above them. He looked at Spar with a concerned expression.

"The time for talk is done, and as the future leaders of our town, our sons should be allowed to have their voices heard. Those of you here who wish to vote against allowing the warriors of Phoenix to assist us through this storm speak now, or the motion to allow them entry to our town will carry," Spar thumped his fist on the table.

"I'd like it recorded that I am not in favour of this, but I will bow to the majority," Thatch said grudgingly, and was echoed by two others as the majority stood in favour of allowing the warriors access to the village.

"Good," Judah said briskly. "Talon and I have some ideas on what we will need to ensure the people of the town are safe and what we believe we can do to ensure the safety of what you have built here if our friends arrive in time."

Cobalt looked at Talon and sighed meaningfully, but remained in the council chamber with the other sons of the town that had gone with him to see the storm. He knew Mica would be waiting for him to bring Talon out so they could prepare him for what was about to happen, but this took precedence, and Talon was surely smart enough to know about the wedding ceremony. Cobalt couldn't believe it was much different in the city of Phoenix.

They'd barely begun making plans when a lookout came into the room to announce four approaching bikes with eight riders. The men filed out of the chamber and walked toward the gates.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,510 Followers