Cities of Power Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We knew when we built the wall that we would become more than a village of refugees from the wastelands beyond the mountains and plains. If we are to survive we will need help to weather this storm," Spar announced once he had climbed to the top of the gate. "If you have ever trusted me as your leader in this town, then now is the time to have faith that what we do is for our protection against the coming storm."

"There's more to the west," another lookout announced, and Talon climbed nimbly to the ramparts along the wall to see the number and colour of the riders. The second group were the quorum' the first group he assumed were the clan leaders of Phoenix who would have ridden straight from Gryphon at the summons from Judah.

"This is about to get interesting," Talon murmured almost to himself, making Cobalt, who had climbed up alongside him, look at him questioningly.

"I don't think there will be any wedding today," Talon said, "I better go and see Trix."

*****

Talon stood in the garden with Trix near the tree where he had seen her sitting the first time he had come back for her. He bent his head and kissed her gently. Feeling her arms tighten around him. She'd accepted what he had said about the storm and their friend arriving with the same trust and faith in him as always, and he fell impossibly more in love with her as she comforted her mother and apologised to the women of the town who were all rallying to make the day special for her. Opal had been mollified by the news that they would not be leaving for at least two days, and that although his immediate family did not ride toward the town, men he called brothers were, and would celebrate the wedding with them once the storm had passed.

"I'm sorry your mother is so upset," Talon murmured.

"You didn't create the storm," she looked up at him with a soft teasing smile. "Did you?"

"No," he chuckled. "I very much want to make sure the other men who are in love with you know that you are my love. I would never have postponed the wedding here with your parents unless I had to," he said again.

"Tell me about these other men who are in love with me," she grinned, making him pull her in tighter and kiss her again.

"Something tells me that would be a dangerous thing to do," he matched her smile and moved behind the tree, pulling her with him so that the people in the house could no longer see them. "It's been a difficult time lately, and despite everything you are still here and loving me, I don't want that to change."

"I can't imagine it ever will," she whispered. "I love you just as you are. I love the warrior I first met, the Hawk who swooped in to save me, and the Prince who can inspire the love and loyalty of everyone he meets. Though that last one will take some getting used to," she admitted. "Is your mother a Queen? Will I have to curtsy?" she twisted her lips as she voiced her concerns for the first time. "I'm not as eager to visit Phoenix as I once was now, so I am more than happy we are staying here for another day or two."

"There are no kings and queens and no princes, despite what Judah said. Lord Zhou is the closest thing we have to royalty because he founded our city. There are ruling families in every clan, but they are more like commanders than anything resembling royalty. We have a military style of government. Anyone can rise to be the leader of a clan if born to one of the ruling families. If I am honest, I believe Sirrus is the best man to lead my clan when my father steps down."

"Your father is the leader of the air clan?" Trix asked.

"Yes, but he also leads the Council of clans and liaises with Lord Zhou through his son," Talon tried to explain the complicated set up of the clans of Phoenix.

"He sounds important," Trix said softly. "Talon, I haven't asked because I don't think I wanted to know the answer until now, but did you love the woman whose jacket I wore? The one you were looking for when you took me to the bandit village the first time?" she asked.

"No, that was an arranged marriage to ensure my families position within the political quagmire of Phoenix. The woman's name was Clove, and she was Sirrus's sister. Now he will marry my sister, and the same alliance will be made," he gave her a full answer hoping to head off any further concern she had about the issue.

"I can't bring anything to your family's position," she gushed nervously. "What if your parents don't approve of the marriage?"

"Sirrus is poised to marry my sister; he will make a far better leader than I ever could, even my younger brother could. He loves the political intrigue of the clans. Trust me, who I marry will be my choice and they will be happy. You will like them, and they will love you, just as I do," he reassured her.

"Say it again," she smiled, hearing the distinctly male voices moving closer to where they stood behind the tree.

"I love you?" Talon frowned at her as he asked the question and received a smiling nod. "I love you more than I could ever have thought possible. I need you to follow the instructions and stay safe tonight. It almost killed me the time you were injured. I can't live through that again. Promise me you will stay safe."

"If you will promise me the same. I would tell you not to be a hero, but I somehow doubt that would stop you," she laughed lightly and kissed him before stepping back around the tree and greeting his friends.

*****