City Slicker Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Early Saturday morning, I skipped breakfast, opting for coffee and a cigarette in J.D.’s office. I found an interesting website on the internet that listed classified ads for horses. I was amazed at the amount and different types of horses listed. Although my research on horses had been very limited, I felt I knew enough of the basics to purchase a sound animal at a fair price.

Sorting through the ads by state, I found an Appaloosa mare for sale in Durango, about five hours southwest of Texas Creek. The three year old had a lustrous brown base color with a white blanket on her rump. At fifteen hands high, which is about sixty inches at the shoulder blade, she was absolutely gorgeous. The asking price for the registered mare was four grand, which seemed fair.

“What’s on your agenda for today?” My grandfather inquired. “Taking it easy, I hope.”

“Nope.” I replied. “How about the two of us going over to Durango and looking at this Appaloosa mare I found on the internet? I could sure use your knowledge of horses.”

“Wouldn’t you rather have Cody go along with you?” J.D. asked.

“No. I’ll go alone if you’ve got other plans.” I answered.

“I’ll go along but just for the ride.” My grandfather asserted. “You’ll have to make the decision whether to purchase the horse or not yourself.”

After calling the owner of the mare and asking a few basic questions, including driving directions, I had Cody show me how to hook up one of the horse trailers.

“You want me to drive?” Cody asked. “It’s not all that easy pulling a horse trailer.”

“No thanks.” I replied. “Grandpa’s going with me. If I run into trouble, he can help me out.”

Donning our western hats, my grandfather and I headed out on our journey to Durango. Feeling the tug of the horse trailer behind the Suburban was unsettling at first. Once we were out on the open highway and cruising along at sixty miles an hour, the trailer seemed effortless to tow. Wheeling the rig through the mountain passes and steep valleys, I settled back in the driver’s seat, switching on the cruise control.

Glancing over at my grandfather, I noticed a big grin on his face.

“What’re you smiling about?” I asked, lighting up a cigarette.

“You. Driving this rig. Wearing a cowboy hat.” He answered, breaking into a grin. “I never thought I’d ever see it.”

“Well, I surprise even myself sometimes.” I remarked. “Besides, I’m gettin’ to like this ranching business.”

“That’s good. I’m glad you’re happy.” J.D. commented. “I know it’s been awhile.”

“I guess.” I muttered. “Living out here has made a big change in my whole outlook on life.”

“Mind telling me what happened between you and my ranch foreman?” J.D. asked.

“Nothing happened.” I replied. “We just decided it best if we kept our relationship on a business level is all.”

“Who decided that? Certainly, not Cody.” My grandfather questioned.

“I did.” I answered. “Let’s leave it at that. OK?”

Pulling into the driveway at the Rockin’ J ranch, I was surprised at its modest size. Situated between two luxurious homes, it seemed out of place with the rest of its neighbors. Pulling up in front of the barn, I spotted a middle-aged woman wearing a leather apron much like a blacksmith’s. She looked rugged but not enough to deter from her feminine appearance.

“Bet you’re the young lady I talked to on the phone!” She greeted, removing her leather gloves and stuffing them into the pocket of her apron.

“Yes. I’m Michelle Gray and this is my grandfather, J.D. Kramer.” I responded. “We’re from the Lazy K up by Texas Creek.”

“Emma James.” The woman asserted, shaking our hands. “Welcome to the Rockin’ J.”

“I’ve got Indian Summer in her stall.” Emma stated, motioning towards the barn. “Just got her all curried and gussied up for ya.”

Leading the three year old mare out of her stall, I could see she was a lot more horse than her picture depicted. Indian Summer was absolutely gorgeous!

“I’ve been showing her in halter classes at the local horse shows.” Emma asserted. “She taken first in her class every time. She’ll make a good trail horse or brood mare. Summer’s got excellent bloodlines and a pedigree that’d rival most Appaloosas twice her price.”

While I walked around the mare, running my hand lightly over her coat, Emma went on about the horse’s excellent health and physical characteristics. The woman definitely knew her way around horses.

“Got a black gelding for sale if you’re interested.” She mentioned. “He’s great with kids and loves to be ridden.”

I’d already made up my mind to purchase Indian Summer without even trying to negotiate a better price. The admiring look on my grandfather’s face, assented his approval of the mare.

After carefully looking over the registered, four-year-old black gelding and leading him around in the corral, I decided to purchase both of the horses.

Emma led me through the purchasing process, showing me how to transfer ownership and registrations over the internet. After handing me several folders containing full documentation on the horses, we were ready to load up and head home. Along with purchasing the horses, I’d acquired a brief education in horse trading. It had turned out to be quite a day.

Driving back to the ranch, we stopped for dinner in Monte Vista, a small town about halfway home. It gave the horses a chance to rest while my grandfather and I took time to eat. The long day had pretty well worn him down but he was still very upbeat and highly encouraged with our progress into the horse business.