Claiming an Ally Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers

She wanted to lambast him, to destroy him under her foot. All he had done, all she had suffered, and for nothing! She stood and marched away, needing distance. She began her pacing as she fumed. Despite her burning rage, she knew she needed to take care and not further injure the situation, and by extension the safety of her country.

Emera closed her eyes and breathed deeply. I breathe, not as myself, but as the princess. She knew, despite her wounded self, she was unable to make war against him. Not only would she be using her men for her own personal revenge, she would be sending most of them to their deaths. Her army was in no way prepared to battle Edrich's.

He was remorseful, completely so. He had said he would allow whatever punishment she devised. She could take her anger out on the one man responsible and guarantee peace for Adalynd in the meantime. Emera did not have a full fleshed-out plan for her revenge, but she knew she wouldn't stop until she felt his life slip from his eyes. She composed herself before turning to face him.

She momentarily felt some remorse for her hate-filled thoughts. He looked at her now, his handsome face marred by anguish. His body, once large and full of fear-inspiring power seemed small and helpless. He was a shadow of the man she first knew. His guilt ate away his being, dissolving him into sorrow.

"Very well. For the time being, I will accept your explanation. Take me to Clearvalley, instruct your general to cease and desist any and all plans of aggression against Adalynd. Send for Glenna's release back to my castle. Insure not only her safety, but her comfort as well. I demand you arrest Jenner so that I may see him executed. Take me to my home. Upon arrival, you will apologize to me in front of the entire court. Then you will enter into a treaty with my father to never instigate military force against Adalynd again. Those are my terms."

He watched in relief and fascination as she accepted the reality and took control. He suddenly understood her entire personality he had witnessed during the time traveling together. She was a fierce and decisive leader. His hope grew in her handling of the situation. Perhaps she wasn't beyond his reach.

"I accept." He moved to stand to his feet but his face contorted from the pain in his body. She was gripped with concern for him and then shook herself in chastisement for the sentiment. But she also knew she needed him strong if he was to protect her during their ride. She walked over to him and released her cape.

He sat back in question as he watched her take his knife from his belt and begin ripping the material. She pushed him gently back so he lay down as she began wrapping his wounds tightly with the strips of her cloak. She then dabbed at the drying blood on his face, revealing the deepening bruises. Lastly she looked at the injury in his side. It was deeper than the others and still bleeding.

"Take off your jerkin and shirt." He struggled to do so, so she helped him. She was nearly overcome by the desire to stroke the deep lines of the muscles of his shoulders and chest and stomach. But she focused on her task. She made an absorbing bandage from the material and then wrapped it securely. "How far is Clearvalley."

"We can make it before sunset if we ride hard."

"This wound is deep. You need a healer's needle to sow it together. Let us hurry. The longer we tarry, the worse it will be." She helped him to his feet. He strained against the incredible pain of mounting his horse; his face reddened and sweat began to pour from his forehead.

They sprinted forward, finding the road just as the rain began to fall. The hound followed faithfully behind. Emera sat between Edrich's thighs, with little of the same feeling she had felt the first time she found herself in that position. Her mind was plagued with the swirling thoughts and emotions that all seemed at odds with each other. Fantasies of torturing him in revenge flittered in and out mingled with more subtle thoughts of reconciliation and kisses and caresses. She sighed often during the ride, exasperated with herself.

She realized she was losing her fight against him. She originally had thought her body betrayed her when it responded to his touch and longed for his return. But she now found her mind betraying her as well with its gentle thoughts of forgiveness and concern for her nemesis and torturer.

The cold rain distracted her frequently, making it hard to think clearly. It was also cold. With the air rushing by cooling her even further, Emera found herself settling deeper into Edrich's arms, allowing their combined warmth to envelope her.

Edrich's own thoughts were more focused, but equally troubled. His mind repeated over and over the imagined scene of Emera leaving. The fear that she couldn't forgive him made him want to crumple into a thousand broken pieces. He knew he couldn't live if he didn't have her.

The rain eventually stopped, but the clouds stayed. Neither knew when the sun actually set, but it was dark before they spotted the lights from the fire at camp. Tired beyond her experience, Emera let a soldier lift her off the horse. "He needs a healer now," she commanded the man.

As the two entered his tent, another man rushed in to light the lanterns and candles. "Food. Please bring us food and water." She turned and regarded the king as he began stripping in pained movement. "You had better bring him the strongest wine you have. And several bowls of hot water." The man left, leaving Emera to help the king. She helped him undress, noting that he seemed even weaker than that morning. She also saw the wound in his side still be bled. He lied upon his bed and closed his eyes to the pain as she carefully undid the bindings around his waist. The wound was still open, blood trickling from it, mixing with the wetness the rain left. Now, the deep cut was red around the edges making it look angry.

"Edrich," she sighed, worry escaping from her. She grabbed a towel on a near-by table and pushed it firmly into his side.

Edrich fought to ignore the pain. He called for his captain-of-the-guards. The man knelt in front of him, before rising. "Jenner, where is he? Bring him here, now."

"Yes, my king." As the man turned to leave, a young man came in, carrying a bag.

He bowed slightly to Emera and then walked to Edrich, kneeling down to better reach his wound. "This is infected," he mumbled. As he opened his bag to begin tending to the wound, several men appeared, carrying the provisions Emera had asked for. Food was set on the table and the healer was given water and rags.

"Have you boiled this water?" the young man asked. When they nodded he accepted it. He slowly washed the dried blood away, though that only stirred fresh blood to the surface. His fingers prodded the wound, feeling inside. Emera tensed as she watched Edrich's face cringe in pain. Unable to see him so, she walked over to the other side of his bed and took his hand. He opened his eyes and stared at her, unable to express anything in words.

"Well, no vitals have been punctured, only the muscle. It will repair in time. My main concern, your Highness, is the redness around it. I think it is becoming infected. I will clean it best as I can, but you must be careful. If you catch a fever-"

"I will live," Edrich said assuredly, almost annoyed at the insinuation the minor wound would be the end of him. Emera stood and poured him a full goblet of wine. She handed it to him.

"For the pain," she said quietly.

He would have argued that he was strong enough for the pain. But he took it, grateful that she showed concern for him. "Thank you," he said and drank it down. He laid back and waited for the warmth to wash over him. The two remained in silence as the young man began sewing the wound. Rain began falling on the tent again, filling the air with soft noise.

"Your majesty," the captain-of-the-guard said in unexpected excitement. "Jenner, he is no longer in the camp. Most of his possession in his tent and his horse are also gone, as is Phillip, the man that attends him."

Edrich almost sat up, but Emera's hand was at his shoulder, reminding him to stay flat. "When was he last seen?" she asked, surprising the two of them. The man looked questioningly at Edrich and then answered her.

"I saw him this evening. He was not at the tent for supper, though that is not unusual for him. His man Phillip was, however, gorging himself as usual."

"Good, then he couldn't have gone far. Send men out and bring him back, no matter the cost. He is a traitor to your king. Do not let him escape." Her voice was calm but undeniably full of hate.

Once again, the captain looked to his king. Edrich nodded in agreement. "I ride to Adalynd in the morning, please have an escort ready for us at first light. Send in General Wells, I have much to discuss with him."

The man bowed. "It shall be done, your Majesty," and he turned and left.

Emera felt his eyes on her. She had overstepped her authority by commanding his soldier. But when she looked at him, the fear that began to bubble up, evaporated instantly. He wasn't angry with her. Though he wasn't exactly smiling, his mouth was soft and his face looked relaxed. "Food is here, Edrich. Are you hungry?"

"You should eat, your Majesty," the young man piped in as he finished the stitches on the skin. "You will need your strength to recover, especially if you catch the fever." He finished by rinsing the remaining blood off. He then noticed the bandages around his legs. "May I see these as well, my lord?"

Edrich then looked up at Emera. She blushed slightly, knowing his hesitation. "I will step outside."

"No."

"No?" she questioned, confused.

"I do not feel comfortable letting you out of my sight." When he saw her begin to scrunch up in anger, he explained. "Not with Jenner missing. Who knows where he hides in the darkness. Plus, it is raining out. No, you may stay and sit at the table and eat. You can turn your chair around and look the other way, if you wish."

Emera eased, accepting his explanation. "Fine, as you wish, your Majesty," she said with sass.

He smiled at that. "Thank you, your Majesty," he threw back at her.

"Andrew," he said, at last giving the young healer a name, "send one of the maids in with a clean gown for the princess. Would you like a bath as well?" he asked turning his attention to her.

"No thank you. I've seen enough water to feel clean for a year," she said dryly as she indicated to her soaked outfit. He smiled in return.

The general entered. When he saw Emera, and then the state of the king, he looked between the two of them in confusion.

"General, may I introduce Emera, the princess of Adalynd?" The usually reserved man was unable to hide his shock as the girl stood in more regal grace than he had ever seen from Edrich.

He turned and gave a stiff bow, still unsure what to make of the situation. Emera received his acknowledgment with a nod of her own.

"Wells, Jenner is a traitor. He sent information to Adalynd in hopes of instigating a war. He also falsely accused the princess of being a spy intent on assassinating me. I wrongfully punished her and am on my way to Adalynd to make reparations. We will not be attacking our neighbors to the north. Is that understood?"

"Yes, your Majesty. What are your new orders?"

"Troops are to remain in a holding pattern until I am able to sign a treaty with Arnold. No aggression is to be taken against Adalynd. Now, please, inform the troops of my wishes. Dismissed." The general bowed to both royals and left.

The atmosphere was more somber as she sat back and began eating the food while Andrew stitched up the king.

As she was finishing her meal, a woman was shown in by a guard. She bowed before the king, trying not to notice the muscular thighs exposed to her. She quickly turned her attention to the young lady and handed her the clothes. "Thank you," Emera smiled, relieved at a change of clothes. The woman left and Emera looked around for a private place to change. She stepped behind the folding screen and stripped out of her garbs.

Even in the dim light of the tent, she could still see soft bruises on her ribs where Jenner had beaten her. She still felt tiny, nagging reminders of her physical abuse from the past few days. Given her mental exhaustion and physical pain, she broke into silent sobs. She buried her face in the dry, new clothes, hoping to keep her ringing sorrow to herself.

After wringing the last tears from her spent form, she breathed a few calming breaths and wiped her eyes of the tears. She dressed and ran her fingers through her hair, teasing the dark tresses free of tangles. She braided it so it laid over her left shoulder. Patting her face dry one last time, she reemerged. She was a little concerned given that the dress was on the tight side. It pushed her breasts together and up so their plump flesh nearly spilled over the top.

She tried to shake of the self-conscious unease and was relieved to see Andrew had left. Edrich's eyes were closed. The rain had stopped and suddenly it felt as though the world was empty. The silence carried a weight she didn't know existed. She didn't know what to do and began turning around and around, trying to focus her mind on something.

"I am hungry." His voice broke through her haze. Making herself useful, she brought a platter with meat and bread on it to him. He sat up and leaned against the headboard. Emera helped him prop the pillows and then handed him the plate.

"Would you like more wine?" She poured him another full glass when he nodded. He tore into his food with a ferocity she'd never seen in royalty. It made her smile to think he was more like a caveman than a king at that moment. And many others, she mused. "Now, how about Glenna?"

"I can write a letter and Robert will escort her to your home. Good enough?"

"Tonight?"

"Yes." He went to stand, pulling the blankets from his body when he stopped. "You may want to turn around."

"Of course," she said softly. She was facing the tent wall while he went to his writing table and scribbled out the missive. It felt strange that he should protect her from his nudity when he had stripped her of her clothing and then used every inch of himself for her undoing. She didn't know if the irony was humorous or not. He eventually went back to his bed and covered himself.

Before he settled in, he called for one of the guards and asked a messenger be sent to him. The youth entered the tent, some five minutes later, dressed to ride. Edrich handed him the note and instructed him to give it to no one but Robert.

When he had departed, Emera looked around. Edrich was lying deep under the covers, barely able to keep his eyes open. He knew it was sensitive, but he had to speak. Knowing he simply could not command her about, he had to reason with her, something he was not accustomed to. "Emera, I know you most likely will not want to, but you need to rest. If we are to make it to your home tomorrow, we will have to travel all day, and it will be a hard, long ride. As I said, I do not want you out of my sight, especially while Jenner is free. You may sleep here, the bed is large enough." He saw her immediately recoil. "You have my word, I will not touch you, unless you ask me to," he added in a low tone. "Take that knife," he said, pointing to a large dagger on the writing table. "If I breach your safety in any way, you can plunge it into my heart."

She regarded him for a moment, his face displaying his earnest feelings. Sleep would be nice, she thought. And despite everything, I feel safest with him. She scrunched her nose at that. She nodded once, reluctantly. "Very well. Though," she continued cheekily as she sat on the bed, "to stab you through the heart would require you to actually have a heart."

"Ow, I think you just did." He smiled gently at her. She returned it, her head resting on the soft pillow. She closed her eyes to escape the sensual familiarity that threatened to overwhelm her calm.

The cold air of the night infiltrated the tent sending Emera to seek out the heat near her. In her sleep, she snuggled against Edrich's warm side. He laced his arm under her head, cradling her closer. Her body was intimately nestled against him, her right leg partially overlaying his.

The sound of the waking camp entered her dreamy thoughts. She had felt warm and amative, though without distinct thought or purpose. Her eyes slowly opened, a heady yet clean scent invading her mind. The scent threw erotic scenes into her mind of hands and muscles, and skin and...She sat up, fighting against her natural predisposition to be close to him.

Even in her sleep she was attracted to him. She rolled her eyes in disgust. "Edrich," she called to him, shaking him lightly. He didn't stir. She sat a moment waiting, her eyes beginning to rove over his body. The wound left by the arrow from the day they hunted together was healing well, little more than a scab. She touched it lightly, remembering her crushing fear at the threat of his death that day. How disconcerting it felt to have been slung to the opposite end of the emotional spectrum in just a day's time. Going from willingly dying for him to wanting to kill him. At the moment, she wasn't certain where she was in that spectrum.

Her fingers trailed down his chest. He was hot and sweaty. She grew concerned. "Edrich," she said more forcefully. "Wake up." He began stirring, slowly waking. He frowned and grimaced as he sat up. "You look awful. How do you feel?"

"Fine," he said dismissively. "Send someone for food and have them prepare us food to travel with today. I'll get dressed and we can go." She watched him briefly. He moved stiffly and touched his temples with his fingers.

"Are you certain you feel well?"

"Yes, I am well enough." She gave no more argument, but went to see about their food. Before long, they were riding away from Clearvalley, headed towards the mountains. The passage through them was chilling, a snowfall meeting them near the top. Emera had been given her own horse, but secretly wished she was riding with Edrich, warming her back. She missed the contact and almost asked if she could ride with him.

She watched him throughout the day. His energy dwindled from little to nothing as the time passed. Once they were through the pass and reached the small town, Emera suggested they stop at the tavern. She immediately remembered Alistair was still stationed there, awaiting word from her. She was able to locate the young man and relay her message that they were headed to the castle; Edrich would sign an amicable peace treaty. After a quick meal, they were off again.

Edrich said very little during their meal and ate even less. Their speed picked up towards the end of the day; Emera was eager to be home, to be safe. The gates opened and the bailey filled with people cheering. Not only were her people happy to see her home, news of the promised treaty signing had spread quickly through the castle and surrounding village.

The party dismounted from their horses and entered the castle. King Arnold sat in his chair in the great hall. Seeing his daughter alive he stood and rushed to her. "Emera, dear, you made it! I was so worried. I expected to hear from you sooner, but no matter. You are alive and well!"

He clasped her in his arms tightly; tears began welling in his eyes.

"Father, yes I am well, though I have had a most trying time. But I think it may have been worth it. As I hope Alistair informed you, the king is willing to sign a treaty to never bear arms against us." She looked grave and happy simultaneously. "Father, my I introduce Edrich, king of Lidio." She stepped to the side and extended her hand towards the man she had only escaped from the morning before.

titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers