Coaching

Story Info
An essay on fighting.
769 words
4.43
17.8k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Joseki Ko
Joseki Ko
179 Followers

Coaches are of paramount importance in the teaching of tactics and strategy. A coach can greatly help the student develop a sound understanding of strategy by incorporating it into the fencing lesson. The way this is done is by allowing the student to take the initiative in the lesson rather than the teacher. The student makes his move and the teacher gives the appropriate response.

In the beginning the teacher gives the most obvious and naïve response to the student's move. As the student improves the teacher can give more devious and sophisticated responses. This kind of lesson is not only of tremendous importance. It is also great fun for student and teacher.

Eventually each fighter explores all the possible actions and every appropriate response to these actions. With this drill a fighter learns to develop a tactical and strategic game. A student also builds a strategic game by experimenting with different strategies under all circumstances during practice. By concentrating on your tactics and strategy while practicing, your fighting will become much more effective and enjoyable.

THE FIRST SPEECH I GIVE TO MY STUDENTS

Lets start off with one basic precept. Do what works for you and have fun doing it. If your not enjoying what you are doing or how you are doing it, it's time to move on. That being said we are here to learn the use of a rapier. I want to establish some rules right now

Rule 1, Have fun. If your not having a good time it will sour what you do.

Rule 2, I am here to teach you are here to learn. Accept this.

Rule 3, Take nothing I or anyone else says as gospel. You are an individual and what works for me may not work for you. Take what I say and apply it to what you do. Adapt it and make it truly yours. This is how the student surpasses the teacher.

Rule 4, Have fun. Yes it's that important.

Ok so much for the rules.

Lesson 1

(Toss your sword to the ground) A sword is merely a tool used by a fighter. Don't attack the weapon with out purpose. Beating the sword is not beating you opponent. That sword on the ground can not beat you, don't attack it on the ground. (pick up the sword) It can not beat you in your opponents hand either. Only your opponent's use of the sword can beat you. Don't engage it engage him. Now it is permissible to beat the blade aside or feint around it in order to attack your opponent, however do not attack the blade as an end in itself.

Ok lets talk about your stance. A strong house cannot be built without a strong foundation. Your foundation will be summed up in how you position your feet. If your right handed place the sword in your right hand and place your right foot forward of your left.(If your left handed flip this around) Now turn your left foot out so that your stance looks like a "T". Your feet should be placed about shoulder width apart. Slightly bend your knees so that you may lean forward or backward without shifting your feet. Your left hand is behind you palm down. Now for you true fencers out there this is not a fencing stance. It's a martial arts stance. I find this to be superior in our style of fencing. With this stance practice taking small steps forward and back. Making sure never to lose your balance. Unlike Olympic Fencing we do not use a strip. We are more like a wrestling arena. We use a circle called the aerich's and we move in a complete circle. So practice moving side to side and in circles as well.

Now lets talk about lunging. To lunge you plant your back foot and take a large step forward with your right foot. You will extend your sword as far as you can, throwing your left hand back for balance. Don't take the biggest step you can because after a lunge you still have to get back to your fighting stance. So don't step so far that you can't recover. Also a little trick with the technique, when you lunge forward don't lean forward with your head. It is a most enticing target. Instead try to tilt your head back.

Ok that is the basic's of fighting rapier in our game. The only way to truly get better is to put in the blade time.(Meaning Practice) Remember if you don't strive to get better you assuredly won't.

Joseki Ko
Joseki Ko
179 Followers