Common Errors Ch. 02

Story Info
Part Two of different words that are incorrectly used.
808 words
4.18
184.3k
8

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 02/13/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers

Errors occur every day in the manner in which words are used. Let's talk about some of the most common.

GOOD / WELL

GOOD is an adjective and is used to provide description to a noun. Some examples are:Thegood boy always gets a reward orHe settled into bed with agood book.

WELL is an adverb and is used to modify or lends description to adjectives, verbs and sometimes, other adverbs. An example is:She didwell in the time trial.

However, there is a huge exception which is one of the most common errors and it has to do with how something or someone feels.Good should be used when describing how one feels, such asI feel good.

ITS / IT'S

ITS is a pronoun and relates to the item that follows it. For example:The cat lickedits fur orThe tree losesits leaves in the fall.

IT'S is a contraction of the words, IT and IS or HAS. Any time you use this word, break it down into the two separate words and read your sentence. An example is:It's about time that you got here.

ADVICE / ADVISE

The wordADVICE is a noun and means to offer instruction. Some examples are:Hisadvice saved them a lot of moneyorNothing takes the place of goodadvice.

ADVISE is a verb and means the action of offering instruction. An example is:She isadvising her client to remain silent orIadvise you to accept his offer.

FARTHER / FURTHER

FARTHER is an adverb and generally means adding physical distance.The exit for Atlanta is just a bitfarther down the road orThe pen isfarther down in my purse are examples.

FURTHER is an adverb that means adding depth.The police said that they wanted to talkfurther with herorFurther discussion will have to take place before we sign the contract.

LOOSE / LOSE

LOOSE is an adjective or a verb that means to release or free. Some examples are:All the boys knew she wasloose orShe felt so much better when she let her hairloose.

LOSE is a verb that means to not win.She did not want tolose to the other girl orTolose a game would mean losing the championship are some examples.

REIGN / REIN

REIGN is a noun or verb and it means to rule. Some examples are:The king'sreign was long and prosperous or She wanted toreign as wisely as her father had.

REIN is a noun or verb that means to pull back or a method to control or pull back.I had torein in my jealousy after I found out that he was her brotherorAs the president, he took over thereins.

BREATHE / BREATH

BREATHE is a verb and means the act of breathing or taking a breath. Some examples are:I went outside to breathe in the fresh air or 'Breathe Again' is a hit song by Toni Braxton.

BREATH is a noun and means to take an inhalation or exhalation of air. Some examples are:Her smile was like abreath of fresh air to himor She released herbreath slowly, afraid to make any noise.

CLIQUE / CLICK

CLIQUE is a noun that signifies a group of people, usually with something in common or a common mindset, which are arrogant and stuck-up. A common example of the use of this word is:All the cheerleaders are in aclique and they don't like anyone else.

The wordCLICK is often confused CLIQUE. It is a noun or a verb that implies a sound or a motion that creates a sound.Iclicked my fingers in time with the music or The softclick told me that the door had closed are good examples of the correct use of this word.

PRINCIPLE / PRINCIPAL

APRINCIPLE is a noun or a verb. In noun form, the word means a code or set of standards and in verb form, it would be used to show the application of the code or set of standards. It can also be used an adjective, describing someone or something that uses the code or set of standards to govern its existence.

Some examples would be:Tom Cruise believes in theprinciples of Scientology orHe is a man that leads a veryprincipled life.

We all know what aPRINCIPAL is. Just about everyone who went to school knows that thePRINCIPAL is the person who administrates the school. APRINCIPAL is a noun and can also mean the person or thing that is the most important or has the highest stature. An example of its use is:Ourprincipal is also an English teacher.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers