Complex Family Ch. 11.2

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No dad, you haven't. As I said before I'm proud to be your daughter. So is Anna, and I'm sure Jake and Ethan are proud to be your sons. Kara will be too when you tell her, I know she will."

Brandon felt great gratitude at her words and said, "Yeah well, this secret ends today at least for Kara. As soon as she's lucid and I can get a minute alone with her she'll know the truth. Maybe not all that you know as that's a lot to drop on someone and I'm sorry you had to learn most of it the way you did, but the parts that matter."

Leah looked at him and said, "You realize what that means, right?"

"Oh, yeah but it's time. You kids all deserve to know. The time has come or if it hasn't it close enough. I almost lost one of my babies today with out her knowing the truth about her family and I won't risk it. By Christmas we'll all be together as a true family."

Then a moment later he said, "By the way, don't think the way you handled this all didn't factor in. You showed extreme maturity in this matter and as my eldest, I hope I can count on you to help your sisters and brothers understand all this. If we are all going to be a family some day we need to start working together like one."

Leah was silent for a while before saying, "You are asking quite a lot of me."

Brandon looked into her eyes and said, "I wouldn't ask it Leah, if I didn't think you could handle it."

She thought and later she said, "Okay, but on one condition."

"What's that?" Brandon asked.

To which Leah smiled wickedly and said, "You have to tellmymom."

Brandon laughed and said, "Yeah, I know and the fact that she's over the Atlantic right now is the other reason I plan to do this now. By the time Katy and Kara wake she should be safely in London, although I am still not sure that is far enough to avoid her wrath." Leah laughed at this.

"Brandon, I don't know what you did, but whatever it is London is definitely not far enough," a very groggy Katy said sitting up.

"Mom!" Leah said rushing to Katy and hugging her.

Apparently a little to snuggly for Katy's bandaged ribs because she said, "Hey kiddo not so hard. My right side is a little tender apparently it lost a fight with a Volkswagen." Leah's eyes filled up with tears again and excused herself.

Katy looked at Brandon confused and he said, "Leah thinks she's responsible for what happened to you and Kara. I tried to tell her otherwise, but you know Leah. All and all she's doing great so it's hard to blame her. She's been through a lot."

Katy grabbed his hand and concern etched on her face asked, "Brandon what's wrong with Kara? Where is she? Where's our baby? Is she okay?" The questions came rapidly and Brandon was unsure which to answer first and how. Also still wishing he had more to tell Brandon pondered. Apparently it was a little too long because she shook him a bit and said, "Hello? Earth to Brandon!"

"The truth is we don't know. All that we know is she suffered internal injuries. She was, and maybe still is, in surgery. They aren't saying much other than they expect her to pull through, but until they are done, they can't be sure. That's all I have and I'm waiting on pins and needles the same as you to find out more. Again, I wish I had more to report Katy, but that's all I got. They are going to call this room with any news."

Katy's concern did not fade too much but she managed to smile and say, "Thanks Brandon and don't be sorry. It's not your fault, you are in the same boat as me, out of the loop."

Brandon smiled, "Yeah, but at least I didn't lose a fight with a Volkswagen today." Katy opened her mouth to respond but before she could speak the phone rang. Knowing what it meant they exchanged looks before Brandon answered it.

"Hello?" He said.

"Is this Mr. Metcalf?" A nurse's voice on the other end asked, "the family waiting for news on Kara Murphy?"

"Yes." Brandon said, the tension of the moment killing him as he braced for the worst, but hoped for the best.

"The doctor said to inform you that she is out of surgery and in recovery. They are transferring her to the ICU for observation, but they expect her to make a full and complete recovery." Brandon gave the waiting Katy a thumbs up.

She relaxed and took a deep breath almost crying with joy as Brandon said, "Thank you, that's fantastic news. How long until she can receive visitors?"

"The doctors say she'll be out for quite a while due to the anesthesia, but they should have her in a room within the hour." The nurse said. He thanked her and she said, "Oh and sir I understand you are with the girl's mother in her room at the moment?"

"Yes, that's correct."

"Okay, then I'll direct the surgeon there, he wished to speak with you both."

"Thank you." Brandon said hanging up the phone then he repeated what the nurse said to a relieved Katy.

When he finished all she said was, "Oh thank god she's okay."

Just then Leah walked in and seeing Katy's tears asked, "What did I miss, is it Kara? Is she okay?" She grew more tense by the minute.

Brandon smiled and said, "Yes, honey Kara is going to be fine. She's in recovery then they are taking her to the ICU for observation."

"The ICU, is that bad? When can we see her?"

"Leah calm down. Given what she came in for the ICU is the best we could hope for."

Katy then said, "Yeah hon I'm sure she's fine. Probably just precaution, doctors like to cover their bases, especially given what Kara went through today. We'll ask the surgeon when he comes in why they put her in the ICU, okay?"

The surgeon came a few minutes later. He was a nice guy that had wanted to see them personally, as he had a teenage daughter and could only imagine what he would be feeling if this had happened to her. He wanted to reassure them that Kara was fine. He confirmed the ICU trip was just a precaution.

Kara had lost a kidney and been quite banged up with more than a few a few minor broken bones, but all and all she was pretty lucky. She had a bit of a road ahead of her in recovery but the doctor was confident she'd pull through.

He concluded by saying, "She was a tough cookie, quite the fighter. I have to say when I heard what happened and how bad she was when she came in I was not optimistic, but the EMS team did a great job and she hung in there like a champion. That's one special girl you two have." They thanked him again and he left.

When he was gone Brandon turned to Leah and said, "See told you, just standard stuff. I told you she would pull through. Nothing to worry about, in a few weeks this will all be behind us."

Brandon sent word to Ashley that all was okay for the moment and gave her Katy's room number and promised to pass on Kara's when they knew it.

When they finally gave the family access to Kara, Leah was the first one in. She camped out and started a vigil there.

Later that evening Ashley showed up with Anna who had insisted on seeing her best friend, even if Kara was not awake. The twins, having little interest in visiting after their game, were saying with Brandon's parents. Brandon spent the evening checking between Katy and Kara's rooms. Ashley spent most of her time keeping Katy company. Upon entering, on one visit, they must have noticed him smiling and chuckling as he entered because they both asked what he was looking at, at the same time.

"Nothing it's like the old saying, like mothers, like daughters. I just came from Kara's room and Annie is sitting talking to Kara, just like you are talking to Katy. Of course Kara can't answer, she's still out. Not that that will stop Leah or Annie I swear those two will keep vigil round the clock for a week if we let them."

"Yeah well their bond is deeper than ours, we arelikesisters, they actuallyaresisters even if they don't know it." Katy said, then added, "Well not yet anyway, but sounds like someone is going to tell them real soon."

"Who Leah?" Ashley asked, "If she hasn't yet I wouldn't see why."

Brandon looked at Katy and asked, "Just how much of Leah and I's talk were you awake for you little sneak?"

Ashley looked surprised and Katy replied, "I awoke when you two went to grill the receptionist about Kara. The nurse said you two were talking and considering she hasn't spoken to you in months I figured I'd play possum and let you two work things out. You are right Brandon, she is quite mature for a teenager. Just how much does she know?"

"Pretty much everything. Not the details mind you, but the gist. She knows the truth about how she and Kara were conceived, and figured out the truth about the four of us. I knew she'd be trouble for us, but despite having enough ammo to bury us, she held her tongue. It seems she did not want to be responsible for telling the family the truth."

"So you are going to do it for her?" Ashley asked, "Brandon are you sure that's wise?"

"No, but I'll tell you what I told her, I almost lost one of my children today, and make no mistake ladies, I was here just after she arrived. When the doctor said they were not optimistic, that is an understatement. I down played it because I could tell talking to Leah on the phone that she felt responsible. I never told her how scared I was of losing Kara today and until that phone rang and the nurse told me she was alright, I was doing my best to control panic.

"The utmost thing in my head was 'please God don't let her die not knowing who I am and that I love her.' I made a promise to God and myself that if she comes out of this that she gets the truth, and damn the consequences."

They went to argue and he said, "And yes I am aware that that will alter the lives of not only Kara, but Annie, Jake, and Ethan as well as all of us, but it's time ladies. I know Mel will be pissed as hell when she gets back, but she'll get over it. If she doesn't I don't care, this has gone on long enough, no more lies!"

Ashley and Katy looked at each other and Ashley said, "Okay if you are set on this we won't stop you, but you have to let Mel know."

"No, absolutely not!" Brandon said vehemently.

Katy glared at him, "Brandon Metcalf if you think I am going to lie to my wife you have another thing..."

"Let me explain," Brandon said putting his hand up, "We cannot tell Mel why we are telling the truth without informing her about the accident."

Katy's eye bulged and she yelled, "She doesn't know yet?!"

Ashley too looked a little upset at this and said, "Brandon you have to tell her, she has a right to know!"

Brandon then calmly said, "Please let me explain," They both begrudgingly nodded and he continued, "The reason I have not yet informed Mel, is two fold, first off she is on a nine hour flight that has not landed yet. Second, what exactly, will informing Mel of this incident achieve? She is literally on another continent, there is nothing she can do about this, and the earliest she could get here if she turns right around is tomorrow afternoon sometime.

"There is no reason to worry her about any of this. Especially since word is Mel is not doing to well with the board right now. She needs to stay focused and getting her worked up about all this is not the way to go.

"So as it's your wife, Katy and you know her best I leave it up to you, but I would at least let her get through her meeting over there before you drop any news on her. Will she be pissed? Absolutely, but she'll understand, I think we all know her well enough to know that." With that he left and went to check on Kara.

He found Leah and Anna talking away, Leah with her arm around Anna as if she had been comforting her. They sat there for over an hour with no news. Ashley came down and reported that she was leaving and insisted Anna leave with her. Anna protested, but gave in. Ashley also reported that Katy had checked in with Mel, figuring the insurance company would get to her first anyway.

"Or the cops," Leah said and reminded them that the police had already taken her statement about the wreck. Brandon had forgotten the bureaucracy in his attempt to deceive Mel. As Mel was the primary contact of the driver and held the insurance policy for the car, when they could not reach Katy for obvious reasons a message surely went to Mel.

Before the night was out both Leah and her 'bonehead' of a father had talked to Mel. It was an interesting chat with Mel he had. Both a mixture of 'you are an idiot' and 'thank god you were there'. Brandon suspected she would have been more pissed if he had not been so on top of things in the time of crisis.

To his utter surprise in light of the new evidence she wholeheartedly supported his decision to let the truth out.

"Brandon, that has been your decision from day one." She said, "When it comes to it they are your kids as much as they are mine and Katy's. I appreciate your support all these years, but you're right the girls are old enough to know. If you want them to know then I am behind you all the way."

When he got off the phone Ashley found him and told him that she and Annie were leaving, but she couldn't get Leah to leave. Brandon said he'd stay with her and Kara tonight.

It was sometime in the early morning hours when Kara's eyes finally opened. Brandon was coming back from getting coffee when he heard Leah's excited voice.

"Dad, look she's awake." Leah said as he neared Kara's room.

Brandon smiled as he entered and heard, "Daddy's here Leah?"

Even through the sleepiness in her voice Brandon heard excitement and disbelief. He walked up to the bed side and taking her hand from Leah said, "It's true baby, I'm here."

Excitement lit the battered face as she recognized him and said, "I knew it was you! I knew it!"

She nearly jumped up but Brandon held her still and said, "Yes, it's me, but calm down or the nurses will come in and kick me and your sister out."

He went to let go and sit in a chair next to Leah, but Kara said, "No daddy don't go. I wanna talk, but I'm so tired."

Brandon smiled and moved a chair right next to the bed and squeezing her hand he said, "I'm not going anywhere, okay, I'm going to sit right here." he kissed her forehead and said, "You get some more rest honey and I'll be right here when you wake. We'll have that talk you want okay?" She nodded and soon drifted off to sleep.

He looked over at Leah and said, "That goes for you too Leah, get some rest. Kara's probably out until the morning. I'd send you home but it's too late to do that. I'll keep watch over Kara tonight."

She then curled up on a nearby chair and using a blanket the nurses gave her earlier went to sleep. Brandon just sat there watching over his sleeping girls, who at long last both knew the truth. The coming days would bring more truths but they would cross that bridge when they came to it.

12