Confirming Carter Bk. 02 Daedalus Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Interior-Kitchen

1115 Hours

"Jenn, would you get Daniel something to drink?" She said, handing her her tablet. "I have copies of some of Sam's notes on here in a folder named 'theplan'. Bring it up and show it to him, I'll be right back."

She turned and went down the hall and over to Sam's bedroom. Tammy and Sam were lying on the bed, and Andi knelt on the end of it, looking at them.

"She's fine," Tammy said, stroking Carter's hair and back gently. "She's upset that he would think something like that about her. We'll be out in a few minutes, I just want to let her calm down a little."

"I...I'm sorry, Andi." Sam said quietly, turning to look at her. "And thank you."

"I'll tell them you'll be with us in a bit, Sam." Andi said as she moved toward the door. She stopped and looked back. "You have nothing to be sorry about, Sam. I was proud of you. You did good."

When she got back to the kitchen, Andi went right to the cabinet and got a glass, filled it with ice, and got a coke from the fridge before she sat down. She saw that Jackson was scrolling through her tablet on the other side of the table.

"Sam's fine, and they'll be with us in a few minutes, Tammy just wants to let her calm down, then check her out." She said as she looked around the table. "How far have you gotten, Daniel?"

"I'm just skimming, but this is amazing." He said, looking up at her. "She's been begging the IOA to do something to improve quality of life since she took over here, and there are notes before that about wanting to setup electrical, sewer and water, and education systems in the Milky Way galaxy. They kept shooting her down, but she just kept coming back at them with new ideas." He shook his head, took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "And I never even noticed."

"It's okay, Daniel." Vala said lightly, putting her hand on his shoulder. "Samantha knows you're clueless about anything except your silly old relics."

Andi and Jennifer burst out laughing, and Teyla smiled broadly.

She turned to Jennifer. "Does that Tammy woman always move that quickly? I think she jumped over the table, but I'm not sure. I heard someone call, and she was gone."

Jennifer nodded. "It's not a good idea to get in Tammy's way if she thinks Sam is in trouble."

Daniel sat the tablet down and looked at Andi. "Tammy told you to explain. What did she mean?"

"Several things, I'll start with what just happened. Forgive me, I'll be going into shrink mode." She said, reaching out and taking the tablet. She changed screens, tabbed through till she found the notes she was looking for, then looked up at him. "You are part of a very small group of people, along with Teal'c, Mitchell, Vala, and a few others here on Atlantis that she considers friends, and who's opinions she values. Jack O'Neill used to be in that group, but Sam has emotionally distanced herself from him."

"That's understandable." He nodded.

"When you questioned her motives, implying that she was acting in her own self interest, and that's what you did, I was there, you tore at the basic foundation of your friendship. She expected you to understand her motives, her desire to do good, since you're one of her oldest friends. Now she's forced to examine that relationship, to try to discover if that underlying foundation is still secure."

"Our friendship is fine, Andi. Quit being so damned analytical." Carter said as she stepped into the room. She went over to the cabinet and took out two glasses, handing one to Tammy. "Daniel, I'm sorry. I didn't give you enough information. You..."

"No, Andi is right. I don't like having my face rubbed in it like that, but I should have asked questions instead of making accusations."

"I'm going to consider that kissing and making up. Give me that." Tammy said, taking the glass from Carter's hand. "Sit down, I'll get your drink."

She pushed her toward the chair, then got ice and two cokes, sitting them on the table in front of her. She stood behind Sam's chair, her hands massaging her shoulders gently.

"Vala and Daniel, are you going to be staying with us, or will you be returning to Earth, or the Milky Way?" She asked.

"I'd like to stay, I like it here." Vala said. "I've missed you Samantha. I've never felt that way about anyone before."

"I was planning on staying." Daniel said. "I've been wanting to explore this place for years, but Jack would never let me. And now there's two of them."

Carter reached up and took Tammy's hand, pulling her around so she could take her seat beside her. She let her get settled, then took her hand again.

"Are you Samantha's lover?" Vala asked Tammy.

"Vala!" Daniel said, glaring at her.

"Yes, Vala. She is." Carter smiled at her. She looked over at Tammy and said, "She's the most important person in the world to me."

"Good. Because she loves you very much." Vala said, looking around the kitchen. "I like her. Can we get something to eat? I'm starving."

"I'll take care of that." Andi said as she stood up. She looked over at Teyla. "Teyla, would you help me? I think some Athosian dishes might be just the thing to bring this family together."

Teyla smiled, standing up and pushing her chair under the table. "I would enjoy cooking with you, Andi. But you must promise to teach me how to make...Italian food? I am told it is most delicious."

"I have leftovers you can try." She turned and looked at Keller. "Jennifer, call Sheppard and tell him lunch is at thirteen hundred."

"You can explore all you want Daniel." Carter told him after Andi and Teyla had left. "But I'm going to need you to take a team to that Milky Way outpost at some point. There's no hurry, that won't be for a few months."

"We won't be able to get back without a ZPM." Jackson said.

"You'll be taking some with you." She told him, "And bringing the depleted ones back, so I can charge them up."

"Charge them up? You can do that?" Jackson asked, staring at her. "And while we're talking about how you can do things." He said, looking at Tammy. "You never told me how you can speak ancient. Your pronunciation is perfect, like you grew up speaking it."

She looked at Carter, who grinned and motioned for her to proceed.

"We have a teaching machine, several actually. I used it to learn the ancient language when my ancient gene was activated recently." She paused, looking down at the table, then back up at him. "I used it again to learn how to use another machine to diagnose Sam, when she had an incident."

"We don't need to go into what that was." Keller said. "But while we're on the subject, you need to know that Sam is changing. None of the changes have been harmful yet, but the way they occur can be disabling for her, and frightening for the people around her. She also needs periodic stimulation to keep her hormone and endorphin levels in a certain range. If either falls below a threshold, her behavior will change, and she may go into shock. Do you understand so far?"

"Yes." Vala said, glancing at Carter.

Daniel nodded.

"If she collapses, exhibits unusual behavior, or does anything that causes you concern, The first words out of your mouth, as loud as you can say it, is Tammy, or Tammy, I need you. Then move out of the way so she can get to her."

"And she'll jump over the table like she did earlier?" Vala asked. "I want to see her do that again."

"Daniel, will you trade places with Vala? I like her." Tammy laughed, reaching around him to take her hand.

"Can we talk about what you've been doing here, and what else is going on?" He asked as he stood up and let Vala slide over into his chair. "Did you learn how to charge ZPM's from an ancient machine too?"

Carter and Tammy looked at each other, and Jennifer said, "I know, write it down." and started typing out notes on her tablet.

"I figured it out about a month before all this began. You can get details on my condition from Andi and Jennifer." Carter told him. "I refined, then combined McKay's Space Time Matter bridge research with everything else I could find, including swapping emails with his sister, Jeannie Miller. Who is much smarter, and much easier to get along with than her brother, let me tell you."

She took a sip of her drink. "I did one live test the day before I resigned, running this building off the bridge for several hours. Then, later in the evening the day I resigned, we charged the first ZPM. We've done four more since. So now we have one for each of the outer piers, and three for the Central Tower. We'll charge up more for Anchorage, and your outpost when we're ready to bring them online."

"The IOA doesn't know what we've done yet. I was going to give them fully charged ZPM's. I just wasn't going to tell them how I did it." She shook her head and she smiled at him. "Their own shortsightedness will cost them dearly. I'll never give them one now."

"We've also put everyone with the ancient gene through the teaching machine, so we have almost seven hundred people that understand ancient in the city." Tammy said, then leaned over and whispered something to Vala, making her grin.

Sam glared at her, then spoke to Daniel. "We have three hundred people going through the database, translating the manuals on all the machines we plan on using. We haven't figured out if we can safely use the teaching machine on someone without the gene, and I'm not willing to risk it unless I have too."

She turned to Keller. "Jenn, make sure John knows lunch is at thirteen hundred, have Ops extend the platform off the east pier and have Daedalus land there at fourteen hundred, and have all personnel and supplies offloaded by fifteen hundred. We'll begin inspections at seventeen hundred, I want everything off that platform before we begin."

She turned back to Daniel. "I'm glad you're staying. I've missed both of you. You'll be staying here with me. Well, not here, but in this building. We have an open suite on forty two, or if you want separate quarters, we can go down to forty-one."

"I'd like to stay with you, Daniel." Vala said. "I'll be good, I promise."

"Forty-two it is. I need to set you up with access codes for the elevator and the porter so you can get in and out. I'll be right back."

"If she gets on your nerves, Daniel, she can stay with me. I have a spare bedroom." Tammy said, smiling at Vala.

"Do you have room in your bed?" Vala asked.

Interior-Dr. Jackson's Suite

1225 Hours

After Carter coded the door for them, they went inside and looked around. Daniel stood at the door, gaping at the opulence of their surroundings, while Vala ran from room to room, with Tammy hot on her heels, laughing and giggling like a pairs of schoolgirls.

"This is a city view. Jennifer is across the hall, and she wanted the ocean view." Carter said as she led him across to the windows.

"Oh my god!" He breathed as he took in the view of the city. He had a clear view of the central section, and part of the north pier.

"I'm sorry, but there's no balcony. I'll get someone to take you around in a jumper, or you can just explore from ground level. Do you still have your STID?"

He nodded, still looking out over the city.

"Good. If you get lost, or want to know how to get somewhere, just call the Ops Center, and they'll direct you. I'll get you both comms, we're back on the cities channels, we were using the unused upper bands for a few days. I guess I'll need to start wearing one again too. It's been so nice being out of touch though."

Vala came running up, throwing her arms around Daniel, laying her head against his back. "Come look at our bed, Daniel! It's huge!"

Daniel blushed, looking at Carter out of the corner of his eye.

"Good for you, Vala." She said. "I knew it was going to happen eventually, even if he didn't."

"Come look." Vala said, taking his hand and dragging him across the living room.

Tammy came up behind Sam and slipped her arms around her waist, laying her head on her shoulder. "I really like Vala. Is Daniel always such a stick in the mud?

"Yeah, but he's a really nice guy, smart as hell, and he's good in a fight now. You should have seen him when we first started."

"So, are you telling me all this cuz you want me to date him?" Tammy asked. "He's really not my type, and I think Vala could probably kick my ass if I tried."

"I would too, lover." Vala said from behind her, putting her hands on Tammy's hips, then sliding them up to cup her tits. "Just like Sam will kick my ass when I make a move on you!"

"Get your hands off her tits, Vala. Or I'll kick your ass right now!"

"Vala!" Daniel shouted from the bedroom. "You said you wanted to show me the bed! So come show it to me!"

"Ooooohhh, girlfriend! Sounds like he wants a test ride!" Tammy laughed, leaning her head back so she could see Vala.

"Be right back." Vala said, kissing her on the cheek. "This should only take a couple of minutes."

Interior-Dr. Samuels Suite

1310 Hours

Sounds of laugher filled Andi's kitchen as they sat around the table passing plates of food around. Jennifer had made Sheppard shower and change into casual Atlantian clothes, and had thrown his uniform into the cleaner in her suite.

"I passed your instructions on to Caldwell, and he agrees with your timetable." Sheppard was saying. "I don't know if he's mellowing, or if you're right, and he's up to something, but he didn't even bitch when I dropped him off at the end of the pier, backed off, and extended the shield before we let them beam him up."

"I don't know the man, but we spent five days with him, and he seemed genuinely angry every time you were mentioned." Daniel said around a mouthful of food. "Which happened several times a day, until he finally told his staff to just hold everything till the end of the day, and give it to him then."

"He wasn't angry at you Samantha." Vala said. "But what's being done to you. When he told us that he had been ordered to capture, or kill you, he was almost purple with rage. Part of it was knowing that if they're willing to do that to you, they'll be just as willing to do it to him. But I honestly think he likes you, or at least respects you."

"Excuse me, but this is a meal, not a business meeting." Andi said as she sat an empty dish on the counter and heaped a large portion of an Athosian offering from another onto her plate. "If you insist on talking business, please take it in the living room."

"Jennifer was right, Andi. This lasagna is wonderful." Teyla said, wiping her plate with a piece of bread. "Much better than what they call lasagna in the mess hall. I do not think they are the same thing." She held out her plate. "May I have some more please?"

"Is John your lover, Jennifer?" Vala asked, looking down the table at her.

"Vala!" Daniel said, rolling his eyes.

Vala turned and looked at him. "Well, she's been doting on him since they sat down, and I think they're doing something und...Owwww!" She stopped and looked under the table, then glared at Daniel.

"She says he's got a big one." Tammy whispered as she leaned over and speared a meatball from Vala's plate.

"Really?" She said, looking down the table at Sheppard. She turned and looked at Tammy. "I like medium ones myself. I'm not as sore the next morning."

Jennifer choked, and Teyla patted her on the back, while Sheppard looked back and forth between the women.

"Daniel is a wonderful lover, he's so imaginative! And he holds me after. I like that the best."

"Tammy is the best lover I've ever had." Carter said, looking at her, as she squeezed her hand. "The day I met her was the best day of my life."

"No it wasn't." Tammy said. "It was a terrible day for you. But I know what you mean, and I feel the same way."

"I don't think I ever really saw you happy, before today Sam." Daniel said quietly. "I'm happy for you, because you look so relaxed, comfortable, and just satisfied with life."

"I am Daniel. I think I've...how do they say it? Released my burden?" Carter said. "If not, I've at least accepted what's happening, but in a good way. I'm surrounded by people that I care about, and that care about me. We have a cause worth the effort, and very little standing in our way. Life is good."

"Well, put a little of that burden back in your pocket. I'm not ready for you to ascend on me yet." Tammy said quietly.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to wait till you're ready to come with me."

She looked at Daniel. "Can we do that? Ascend together?"

"I saw a whole group ascend at the same time." Sheppard said. "Teyla was there, she saw it too."

"Yes, a group of more than twenty people ascended all at once." Teyla said, looking at John, then at Sam. "One of them, a most attractive young woman, wanted John to accompany her, so I think what you ask is possible."

"I think what's she's asking about is after." Jackson said. "And I don't know. I didn't do it on my own either time, and I never really got out from under Oma's shadow. The rules might be different if you do it on your own, naturally." He paused. "You're asking about pair bonding on the next plane of existence. I hope there is. It must be very lonely if there isn't."

Exterior-East Pier, Landing Platform

1400 Hours

The shield on the east pier retracted, and a section of the outer dock detached itself, and moved under it's own power away from the city, trailing thick cables behind it. When it was two miles out, it stopped, and stabilizer bars extended from three sides.

"Permission to dock granted, Daedalus." The Ops tech said quietly as he worked the controls on his station. "Landing platform is clear, awaiting your arrival."

"Acknowledge, Atlantis." Caldwell said. "Take us down, Marks. You think you can land us on that thing?"

"Yes sir. It's bigger than it looks, it's two hundred meters on a side." Marks said as he engaged the engines and started moving them into the atmosphere. "I'll put us down right in the middle. That will give us room to unload on all sides."

"Make it so." Caldwell said, leaning back in his chair.

Shortly after Daedalus had landed, Marks turned to Caldwell. "Colonel, the Ops Center is saying they want us to move to one end of the platform, and beam personnel and stores to opposite corners on the other end. They want at least a hundred and fifty meters between each."

"I expected that. She doesn't miss a trick, does she? Move us, Marks." Caldwell chuckled. "And ask them to advise when they would like us to offload. Pick your corners, and make sure you don't put anything in the water."

Interior-Kitchen

1440 Hours

Sheppard was seething as he stood at the floor to ceiling windows in the kitchen. Carter had refused to let him pilot a jumper in the offloading operation. She had ordered him to direct operations from the Ops Center, or from a window in her building. He chose her building because he had a clear view of the landing platform.

Daedalus had begun offloading, and materials were beginning to pile up in rows along one edge of the platform. On the same end of the platform, but directly opposite it, personnel were appearing. Two Atlantis jumpers were broadcasting orders by loudspeaker for them to form up by units, and await instructions.

"Ops, this is Sheppard. Ask them how much longer they need."

"We just did, colonel. They say they're at 80 percent, and then need ten minutes on stores, three on personnel. We told them to advise as each completes."

"Copy. As soon as personnel are clear, bring in the jumpers to scan, then offload them. Keep me advised."

"Yes sir."

"John, Tammy and I are going to go down to thirty-one for a few minutes." Carter said as she got up from the table. "I'll have comms, but not be on. Page if you need me. We'll be back in fifteen."

"Okay." he said, not taking his eyes of the platform.

Interior-Floor One Thirty-One