Confirming Carter Bk. 02 Daedalus Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

1450 Hours

"It's a small, dark green pendant, maybe three inches long, and an inch and a half wide." Maybe a little bigger." Carter told Tammy. "There's a design down the center that lights up when it's powered. Look around, there has to be at least one in all this shit."

They were dumping boxes onto the floor and skimming through the piles. Tammy opened a small box and looked inside. She pulled out a small object and held it out to Carter.

"Is this it?" She asked, holding it out to her.

"That looks like the pictures I've seen. It must not be powered up." Carter said. "We need to go look at the database, and see what makes this lil sucker tick."

"I've got a box of 'em. Two, no, three layers of six, so eighteen." Tammy told her, holding up the box.

"Let's get upstairs. They're no use to us like this."

Interior-Kitchen

1505 Hours

"John."

Sheppard turned around and saw Carter holding a small object out to him.

He took it, and turned it over in his hand.

"This is one of those personal shields. We haven't had much luck with these."

"That's because no one bothered to read the manual. Tammy and I just did." Carter said. "We found a box of them. We're going to issue them to senior staff later."

"Put it on, under your shirt, it'll stick to your skin." She said. "No point in being obvious about it."

He opened two buttons on his shirt, held the pendant to his chest, then let it go. It started to glow, and stayed in place, so he buttoned his shirt back up.

"Test it, but go easy." He told her. "If it's working, you could hurt yourself."

Carter stepped back, and swung the flat of her hand against his upper arm. A pale green glow formed between her hand and his shirt. She tried poking him in the chest with her fingers with the same effect.

"Come over to the table." She said. "Put your hand out flat on it."

She picked up a spoon in her fist, and brought the blunt end down on the back of his hand. She did it several more times, increasing the force with every blow. She grinned up at him.

"So far so good." She said. "Run your finger over the center, where it's lit."

He opened the top button of his shirt, and moved his finger over the light. It went out, and the pendant fell into his hand.

Carter reached up, gripped his ear between her fingers and twisted.

"Ooowwww!"

"Okay, we can turn it on and off. And we know they work. I doubt if they'll stand up to a nuke, but anything less than that, and you should be okay." She said as she stepped over to the window.

Two jumpers were parked in front of a warehouse, and people were moving out of them, into the building. The jumpers lifted of, and were quickly replace by two more. On the platform, another jumper made a pass over the material stacked on the dock, then hovered, and crews attached cargo nets to hooks on the bottom. It lifted away, and was replaced by another. The platform was cleared in less than half a dozen more passes.

"Go talk to them, John." She said quietly as she watched. "The officers first, then the enlisted. Tell them what's happening, show them Landry's message, and Caldwell orders. Ask them to join us, but tell them we'll return them to Earth like we have everyone else if they don't."

Sheppard nodded, and started for the door.

"John?"

"Yes." He said as he stopped in the doorway.

"Don't forget to turn that thing on."

He smiled and nodded, then went to increase their forces.

Interior-Warehouse Sixty-Two

1525 Hours

"All officers form up at the far end of the building, on Col. Sheppard." Lt. Crown shouted, "Step lively, we have alot to get done, and not much time to get it done in!"

People broke away from the crowd milling around in the warehouse and jogged over to where Sheppard was sitting on a table by the open doors on the other end of the warehouse.

Crown turned to face the rest of the group. "Form up by units in columns of four, five meter spread between groups. Medical personnel will be around to check you, and water will be passed out in a few minutes. Stand easy, but stay with your unit."

"Form up by units." Sheppard told the approaching officers. He waited till they had all come up, and formed themselves into three groups. "Commanding officers follow me. Lorne."

He walked out of the warehouse and stood with his back to the door. Maj. Lorne and three officers followed him.

"I'm John Sheppard, commander of the military detachment on Atlantis." He said as he shook hands with each man. "This is my second in command, Maj. Lorne." He looked at them for a moment, then said. "What are you doing here?"

One of the marines, a colonel, stepped forward and lifted the back of his shirt up, pulled out a folder wrapped in plastic, and handed it to him.

Sheppard took the folder and flipped through the documents quickly. He handed the folder to Lorne as he spoke.

"Do these orders cover all of you, or do you have separate orders?" He asked the other two. The other marine, a major, nodded.

The special forces officer, another major said, "I have conflicting orders sir. My original orders from the Pentagon are to assist Atlantis personnel in securing the base. My men and I came from Earth, and gated out to be picked up by the Daedalus. I received orders two days ago from the IOA instructing me to remove you, Col. Carter and her senior staff, and return the base to IOA control."

Sheppard nodded, then stepped away from the group, looking over at Lorne.

"Lorne...shoot me." He said.

"Sir?" Lorne asked, staring at him.

"It's okay, Evan. Just do it."

Lorne nodded, drew his side arm, and fired a round at Sheppard's chest. A green field grew around Sheppard, then faded as the bullet ricocheted away with the loud whine.

He stepped back over to the group, looking passed them at their junior officers.

"Col. Carter and her staff are all equipped with personal shields like this one. We also outnumber you. Consider you mission for the IOA a failure. You should follow your original orders."

"That was my plan sir." The major said, trying not to smile.

"Here's what's going to happen. We're going to talk to your men, and offer them the choice of joining the Atlantis expedition, or being returned to Earth, at the earliest opportunity. You all have the same option." He looked at the three men. "You're all welcome to join us, but no one will be ordered or compelled to stay. We only want people that want to be here."

"I'm in." the special forces major said, reaching up and lifting his collar. He slipped a small memory card from a sleeve underneath it, and handed it to Sheppard.

Sheppard shook his head, looking over at Lorne. "Didn't we search any of these guys?"

"Only for weapons and electronics, sir." Lorne said with a shrug.

"Okay, get coveralls, slippers and pallets in here. We'll be bedding them down in here for the night. Show them Landry's message, make the offer, and move anyone that wants to return to Earth to another building. I'll be back, I need to update the colonel."

He looked at the major. "Is this coded or clear?"

"I don't know sir, I didn't look."

Sheppard nodded as he walked across the warehouse toward the jumpers.

Interior-Kitchen

1600 Hours

"Landry's under arrest by order of the IAO, so the Pentagon made it house arrest. There's a company of SEALS guarding him. It looks more like protective custody to me." Sheppard said as he read through a file.

He had copied the memory card and mailed the contents to the senior staff. They were all going through it, each of them going through a different section.

"There's a letter from the President here." Jennifer said. "File 25394b."

Everyone found and opened the file. Carter laughed as she read it.

"He's ordering us to secure the city, proceed with our plan to establish trade in the Pegasus galaxy, and advise when we're ready to begin trade with the Milky Way, specifically, Earth." She said as she read though it.

"Are we going to tell them we don't work for them anymore?" Sheppard asked.

"Yes." Samuels said. "But we send them a gift first. Do you have an inventory of what was offloaded from Daedalus?"

"Looks like two million rounds of ammunition, shoulder fired missiles, claymores, a couple tons of C4. And something called a Zat'nik'tela. There's a thousand of those. We're still going through the manifests."

"They sent us Zats? This is like Christmas." Carter said. "I'll send Daniel and Vala over to check them later, just to make sure they haven't been doctored. If they turn out to be good, I want them distributed to senior staff, your officers and NCOs'. We'll decide on the rest later."

She looked over at Samuels. "What kind of gift?"

"Drones. And a ZPM." Andi said.

"No. No way am I giving them a ZPM, Andi." Carter said angrily. "Not after they sent people to KILL me! Think of something else."

"It has to be a ZPM, Sam. Or we won't get back what I want." Samuels said calmly.

"And what do they have that's worth a ZPM? And just say it, don't make me work for it."

"More ZPM's. We tell them we want their depleted ZPM's, and will trade five for one. We really only want three for one, but we need to give them some wiggle room."

"Sheppard?"

"I think it's smart. We build good will, and if they ever figure out that we can charge them, they'll want to try it. And they can't if they don't have any dead ones." He said. He looked over at Samuels. "Is that what you're thinking doc?"

Samuels nodded. "Mensa, huh? I'm glad you're on our side too, John." She looked over at Sam. "You had thirty, and used five. I need three more for Anchorage, plus the gift. As near as I can tell from the reports I've been through, They have at least ten depleted ones, maybe a few more, and two with a partial charge. One at the SCG, and one in Antarctica for the chair weapon."

"We need to get Daniel and a team into that outpost. If not today, then tomorrow. That's going to drain our manpower, because I'm going to want to staff it, and have people start going through it. I want that place locked down before someone at the SGC, or even worse, the IOA, sees a report on it." She looked between Carter and Sheppard. "I'd say thirty mixed troops and ten techs should do it. We can send less if we can find matching skills among your guys, John."

"Okay. I still don't like it, but when you put it that way, I can't say no." Carter said. "What if Daniel can't get back? What do we do then? We've stranded those people there."

"He'll be able to get back. That outpost is at the edge of the Milky Way, and it's considerably closer to Atlantis than Earth is. Dialing an eight-symbol address won't be a problem. We've already discussed that. He thinks there's shields too, but if there aren't, we can fix that."

"So you're talking about establishing trade with them now, and not waiting until we're setup here in Pegasus" Jennifer asked.

"On a very limited basis, at least with Earth." Samuels said. "The other part of Daniel's mission will be to reach out to Teal'c." She grinned at Carter. "Feel like having another old friend over for dinner?"

"I'd love that, but there's more. Let's hear it."

"The Jaffa are the largest, most organized group in the Milky Way. It just makes sense to reach out to them first. Teal'c is known and respected throughout their culture. The Sho'va that freed them from the Goa'uld. With a little help from the Ta'Ree."

"I know, I was there, remember?" Carter said wryly.

"Ahhhh, a little detail like that isn't going to escape my notice, I assure you." Andi grinned. "When he tells them that Samantha Carter of SG-1 needs their help, scouring the galaxy for ZPM's, and will soon begin trade with them from the Pegasus galaxy, his status may change from living legend, to...I don't know, What's better than living legend?"

"It doesn't matter." Carter said. She turned and looked at Tammy. "You've been quiet so far. What do you think?"

"Andi is making sense, to a point. But if we start trading stuff back and forth, they send to the Alpha site, not here. We don't need it anymore." Tammy said. "We found a dozen shield generators in a warehouse over on the north pier, which is why she's not worried about the outpost having shields. We can put one on the Alpha site gate just as easy."

"I like that." Andi said, making a note on her tablet. "I'll get a team on that. Should take less than forty-eight hours. We don't have to staff it at first. We can put up a beacon that activates when the gate opens, broadcasting a warning signal back through the event horizon, and notifies us at the same time."

"I agree that we need to reach out to Teal'c, but I'm not so sure about welcoming the Jaffa into Pegasus with open arms." Tammy said as she looked around the table. "We're talking about a warrior culture, bred to fight. The Pegasus galaxy has enough problems without bringing in more. Granted, they won't be able to bring in ships, not at first. But even a small group of Jaffa is more than anyone here, except maybe the Genii or the Wraith, can handle."

"I hadn't considered that aspect, Tammy. But I think you may be right. Teal'c is well connected throughout the Milky Way, and even the IOA has to listen to him if they want to maintain peaceful relations with the Jaffa. So he can come and go as he pleases to Earth."

"I'm not using my friend as a messenger boy." Carter said.

"That's not what I'm suggesting. If he offered his services as an intermediary, to help resolve the difficulties between us and the IOA, I think they'd go for it. He is after all, familiar with all the parties involved, and the Jaffa are friendly with both sides, but neutral. If he happened to share something that someone tells him while he's there, well, that can't helped now, can it?"

"The Jaffa aren't friendly with us, Andi." Sheppard said, looking up from the file he was reading.

"They will be after Sam asks him if the High Council will make him ambassador to her court." Samuels said, looking at Carter.

"Change your title to Foreign Minister, intelligence services will fall under your purview. But for now, let's put the intrigue on the back burner." Carter said.

"John, tell Ops to have Caldwell offload the rest of his crew, and power down the ship. Have a jumper do a scan for life signs and active systems, then have Lorne seal it and post guards till everyone is off the platform, then pull them back. We'll do inspections tomorrow. If it blows up overnight, it's no big deal, it's outside the shield."

She rubbed her face with her hands, then looked at them again.

"Are you okay?" Andi asked. "You look a little worn."

"I'm fine, I just feel like I need a shower after this." Sam grinned, then looked at Sheppard again. "Put the crew up in the Central Tower, something nice. Post guards, and get them fed. We'll worry about who's staying or going tomorrow."

"We're already bedding them down in warehouses on the east pier, and have rations being distributed." Sheppard told her. "There's no need to move them right now."

She nodded, and looked back and forth between Tammy and Andi. "Who's cooking? I'm going to invite Caldwell over for dinner, and I have a taste for beef. I know that there's bunch of ribeyes down in the mess hall. I want corn on the cob, loaded baked potatoes, and green beans, with it. And texas toast. Find something nice for dessert, and send someone over to my old quarters, there's a case of a nice Merlot in my closet, have them bring it over."

"I have grills I can put over the burners." Tammy said. "I can do the steaks and the bread if Andi can do the starches and veggies. Same group that was at lunch, plus one?"

"Yeah, then we can move into the living room and talk business after we eat." She grinned at Andi.

She looked back at Sheppard. "Bring Caldwell here after you get everyone settled. Get him cleaned up, and would you put him in some decent clothes, please? That jumpsuit he runs around in is ridiculous." She smiled at him. "And would you mind putting him up for a few days? At least until we decide whether we're going to bring him in, or keep him at arms length?"

"I can do that." Sheppard grinned. "He's not a bad guy, and he's lightened up alot toward me since that Goa'uld thing."

"Then we're done." She said, standing up and moving toward the door. "I'd like dinner at nineteen hundred. I'm going to go down and spend some time with my guests. I have my comms, and will give it to Daniel, so he can call if we need anything."

Interior-Dr. Jackson's Suite

1720 Hours

"Daniel? Vala? Anyone home?" She called.

"Just a minute!" Valla called.

She came out of the bedroom a moment later, wearing a long sleeved black sheath dress that clung to every curve. She posed, smiling broadly.

"What do you think? Isn't this just divine?" She asked. "I can't find any shoes that fit though, they're all too big!"

"No, go get a pair. And you look fantastic in that dress!" Sam said, watching Vala run into the other room.

"Is someone out there?" She heard Daniel say.

"Yes, Samantha is visiting." Vala said. "Now get dressed, and bring your shoes!"

She came running back a moment later, holding a pair of shiny black flats. She held them out and Sam took them, then waved her toward a chair.

Kneeling in front of Vala, she slipped the shoe onto her foot.

"See? It's too big!"

"Give it a second. Just watch."

"Wh...oh my!" Vala said as she watched the shoe begin to shrink around her foot, the sole thickening slightly. She dropped her foot, and slipped the other shoe on, watching gleefully as it molded itself to her foot as well.

"Hi, Sam." Daniel said as he came out of the bedroom. He was wearing a pair of loose black slacks, and a shiny green shirt. He had a pair of black cloth shoes in his hand. "Vala, I can't wear these. They're too big. Where are my other shoes, the ones I wore in today?"

"Yes you can! They shrink to fit, see?" She held out her foot, tipping it back and forth so he could see.

Daniel leaned against the back of the couch and slipped one of the shoes on. His eyes widened as it started contracting around his foot, then he shrugged and pulled the other one on.

"I need to go down to thirty-one." Sam said. "Would you like to go with me? I can show you some of the other floors too if you want."

She handed him her comm unit. "I told Tammy I'd give you that. It's on, so if you need to, you can call for help. I want to get you comms, that's why I want to go downstairs. But I'd like to show you something else first."

She led them out to the elevator, and they dropped to the ground floor. Sam led them outside to a small park. The ocean spread out before them as far as the eye could see, and off to one side, they could make out the platform with the Daedalus sitting on it.

"Tammy and I come down here sometimes. At night, the lights from the suites shine on the water. It's very romantic." She said, smiling wistfully.

She turned and faced them. "Why did Landry send you? Do you have any messages, or other information?" She walked over to a bench, and Vala came over to sit beside her.

"He didn't say much, and what he did say was very cryptic." Daniel told her, shaking his head. "He wanted me out of the Milky Way. I think he was afraid that someone would use me as a wedge against you. Both of us."

She nodded. "Sheppard got the orders the marines were given, they were sent as reinforcements. The special forces commander gave him a data chip loaded with plans and orders. There's even a letter from the President. It looks like the Americans are going to support us. Or they believe that I'll give them the city, or let them use it."

"What are you going to do?" He asked.

"Speed up some plans, put others on hold, but mostly proceed on the current schedule." She said, looking up at him. "I need you to take a team to your outpost tomorrow. We'll send ZPM's with you. Andi said that you felt you could get back if the station was powered?"