Coppernicous

Story Info
A recently widowed man houses college volleyball team.
17.2k words
4.8
62.6k
136

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 06/13/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was Katarina's fault. Had it not been for her I would have continued living a basically monastic life as I had done since the death of my wife, in an auto accident, three years ago.

Katarina Florentina Magdelana Corianna . . . , or Kat, as I call her, is my youngest daughter, who graduated from our local university last year. For reasons of anonymity and to protect her privacy I'll not say which university. It would not be difficult to determine who we are, and I don't wish to cause her, or any of her older siblings any angst.

Kat lived at home with me the last three years of her college career following her mother's death. She had attended a major state university on a volleyball scholarship, but felt it was more important to return home and to look after me while she finished her education. I'll not say I was unhappy to have her at home. Kat is seven years younger than her youngest brother, and has always been the one with whom I was the closest of my kids. She has a loving, gentle disposition away from the volleyball court, and I know she will make an excellent nurse if she ever gives up coaching. Her gentle way of caring for people has always been a hallmark of her persona.

Ignatz is my name, but when my parents brought me to this country as a young lad I didn't like the way Americans mispronounced it, and I hated being called Iggy. My parents left a repressive regime in Eastern Europe to find freedom in America, and I am so happy they did, because it allowed me to pursue my dreams of science. As a teen I made a discovery in high school physics class involving space exploration that ended up with a full-ride scholarship and an internship with NASA each summer of my college career, and in turn the opportunity to form my own company upon graduation. It also was the genesis of my nickname, Coppernicous, a bastardization both of the early mathematician and of my family's name, which, although similar, are not the same names.

***********

My wife, Marja, retired after twenty-five years of teaching school, and we purchased a large farmhouse on several acres of land. Her dream always was to have a bed and breakfast establishment. We built on to the original farmhouse, adding an extra eight bedrooms to the four original ones, built a pond with a sand beach for swimming and a sand volleyball area, and added a lot of other amenities. Marja was killed in the crash one week prior to our grand opening. Needless to say, running a bed and breakfast was the last thing on my mind. I couldn't even bear to run my own business any longer, and I sold out to my managers and chief scientists and settled back to live out the rest of my days as a recluse in my now way out-sized home. Money was no issue. I could never spend all I had left, and I had nothing worth living for that I wanted to spend it on.

Although it was only four weeks before the start of the fall term, Katarina had no problem transferring to our local university, and the school was ecstatic at the opportunity to offer her a scholarship to play on their volleyball team. Kat was indeed a world-class athlete, and a candidate for the US Olympic Team if she decided to go that route. Schools all over the country had pursued her. The new volleyball team is where everything in this story began.

**********

Because of the last minute transfer, Kat was unable to get an exemption from the NCAA in time to play for the team her first year, but she was able to practice, and she worked closely with the freshman team coach, helping the new athletes, and she quickly adjusted to the school and made friends.

One week before Thanksgiving, Kat called me from school:

"Dad? Look, I need a really big favor. Coach Thorson and her boyfriend broke up last night, and she has no place to go. I told her she could stay with us until she has time to get her feet on the ground. You don't have a problem with that, do you?"

What could I say? Of course, I didn't have a problem with it on the face of things, but I didn't want it to look like I was trying to make a move, either. "I guess she could stay in Jenny's old room for a while. How long do you think it will be?"

"Thanks, Dad. You're the best! I knew you would come through for me. You'll like her, I know."

"Now, wait a minute! You aren't trying to set me up, here, are you? I'm not interested."

"No, Daddy, I'm not trying to set you up." Her exasperation fairly dripped out of my phone. "She's just a nice lady, and I know you will like her as a person was all I was saying."

I sighed and apologized. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I didn't mean to jump on you that way. I'm just a little sensitive right now."

"I know, Daddy. Love you. We'll see you later. I've got to go with her to get her stuff right after practice. We're meeting the Sheriff at her place, then we'll be home." A click and a hiss in my ear told me she had hung up.

**********

I did a quick check of Jenny's room, and ran a dust rag over the furniture and ran the vacuum over the carpet. I don't think the door had even been opened in the last six months, and even though Jenny has been married now for four years, there were still a lot of her things on the walls and dressers. It looked a lot more like a teen/college student's room than a college volleyball coach's, but for short term it would have to do. The price was certainly right. I thought about using one of the rooms we had set up for the B&B, but decided she would probably like to be closer to Kat, so I left Jenny's door open for her.

I wasn't prepared, though, when Kat's car was followed into the drive by half a dozen others! A laughing, chattering, mob of girls burst through the front door behind Kat and a slightly older lady that I surmised was the coach.

"Hey, Daddy! I want you to meet Coach Thorson, and the rest of my team. They all wanted to help bring her stuff over, what we could of it." She reached an arm out to a tall, lissome, blonde, and said, "Stephanie's boyfriend Brad is bringing some of her furniture over in his pickup. I told Coach Thorson we could store it in the garage for her for a while."

All I could do is nod, then I stepped forward and put out a hand toward Coach Thorson. "It is indeed a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Thorson. I wish the circumstances were better, but you are most welcome."

A demure, "Please, it's Darlene, and I thank you very much," was murmured. "Kat said you have a large place, but I really had no idea."

My throat tightened so that I couldn't get a word out. A nod had to suffice. Kat understood and led the way down toward Jenny's room, with the gaggle of excited girls following. As they walked away I thought how happy I was Darlene was not much older than the girls. She was much too young for someone to try to match her up with me. The scabs had not yet peeled off of my heart from the loss of my wife, and another woman was the last thing I wanted to think about. Seeing the cute asses of the girls bouncing down the hallway did stir my juices, but I tried valiantly to put them out of my mind.

**********

Two weeks went by with Darlene staying with us.

Darlene looked at me with tears in her eyes when we finished dinner that evening. "Toomas," (It's my middle name.) "I don't know what to do. I can't find any place in town I can afford by myself. I make just too much to get subsidized housing, and I can't live in student housing. I've been mooching off of you for too long already. Do you have any ideas?"

"Darlene, you have not been 'mooching' as you call it. Katarina invited you to stay, and we are in no hurry to put you out. Something will open up for you. Just take your time."

"I can't keep sponging off of you forever, though. It isn't right. Damn Phil anyway! I don't know what I ever saw in him."

"I'll tell you what. Sometimes after semester ends places open up. Give it until then and see what happens."

"Are you sure? I hate to put you out. Can I at least pay you some rent for the time I'm here?"

I shook my head "No." "I don't need the money. You just make yourself at home. When something opens up, take it. Until then, you are more than welcome."

Kat just sat there silently all through our conversation, but after dinner as she was clearing the table she stopped and gave me a hug. "Thank you, Daddy. Coach has been all torn up over this for two weeks. She thinks she's in our way. I think you are really sweet!"

I grunted. Sweet, I didn't think so. I just try to do for others what I would want someone to do for me or for my kids. Besides, she helped keep Katarina and me from being alone and thinking of my Marja.

The next night, Darlene fixed a special dinner for us in thanks for what we were doing for her. It was the first time I really ate since Marja was killed, and it was good. As far as I was concerned, all debts for her staying with us were paid.

*********

A week later and Christmas break came. Darlene left for her parent's home when all of the students did. She would be gone for the next three weeks. Kat mentioned her as we ate dinner together.

"Thank you so much for letting Coach stay with us, Daddy. I've really enjoyed having someone else to talk with around the house. You and I kind of rattle around here like b-b's in a boxcar."

"No problem, Kitten." Kitten was a nick-name I gave Kat when she was just a little girl, and I hardly ever called her that any more. "I've enjoyed having her here, too. She helps keep things lively and keeps me from brooding."

"Do you like her, Daddy?"

"Yes, I like her, but if you are asking, 'Do I like, like her,' the answer is 'No. She's a very nice young lady, but I'm not looking for anyone else. I loved your mother, and there is no one who can take her place."

Things were quiet around the house for the three weeks of Christmas break. I found myself missing Darlene's presence and her cheerful attitude. No, I did not miss her romantically, just personally. It would be nice to have her back, if nothing else, just to give us another b-b to rattle around in the house.

**********

Spring brought with it the beginning of the sand volleyball season, and Kat was participating for the first time. Her former school did not field any participants in the sport, so it was new to her. As with everything she did, Kat threw herself into it whole-heartedly, and we often had three or four other girls hanging around the house, hitting the ball around on our court. Darlene often got involved in the games as well, and I must say, seeing the girls bouncing around in their little skimpy bikinis was interesting, at the least.

The girls seemed to gravitate to the swimming pond, too, and often were laying out working on tans when not either swimming or playing volleyball. I asked Kat about it one day.

"They like coming out here, Dad, because you don't creep them out, and you aren't constantly hitting on them like the guys at school do. Some of those guys are just pigs! They hang around ogling us and making comments. One of them even tried to rape one of the girls a while back, but the university didn't think it was a big deal and just gave him a warning."

"They are most welcome of course. I was just curious."

Kat gave me a hug. "Daddy, you're the best."

**********

Spring Break found the team staying around the university because of a tournament. Of course, most of the time they all spent out at our place. I even opened up some of the B&B rooms so they didn't have to return to the university at night. I got all manner of hugs and thanks for this. I have to say I felt a stirring in my loins I had not felt in some time.

The day before spring break ended turned things around for us in a major way. I woke up to the smell of smoke and jumped from my bed to look. I breathed more easily though when I looked out the front window of the house and saw smoke was coming from the town. That the fire was a large one was obvious. I clicked on the local news station in time to hear the tail end of a blurb about a large fire in a dormitory at the university. Nothing more was said pending further reporting from the site. Shortly thereafter, word came across the radio that the athletics dormitory was totally involved in the fire. It was an older building that did not have some of the fire-resistant building features of newer buildings, and the fire was not able to be localized and limited. Before all was said and done, the entire building was a total loss, leaving the university scrambling to find housing for all of their athletes. Only a limited number of them could be absorbed in the other dormitories.

Needless to say, all of the girls were worried about what they were going to do, and not much else. A lot of hugging and crying between them went on as they moved from one cluster to another and started the process over again. I caught Darlene's attention and waved her over to a quiet spot where we could talk without the others overhearing. "What would you think about moving the volleyball team out here? I've got the room. I don't know if it would be doable or not, but if it would help, we can at least be certain the girls have a place to stay through the end of the year."

Darlene gave a squeal of delight and threw her arms around my neck. "You would really do that for us? Thank you so much, Toomas! We couldn't let them freeload off of you, like I have been, though. Let me call the athletic director and pass along your offer. I know the girls will love it! They have all been talking this week about how much fun it has been to be out here."

Five minutes later, and an excited Darlene came running from the house. "Thank you, so much, Toomas! Dr. Cook is so grateful! She asked if she could give you a call in a day or so, once things settle down a little bit for her, and you two can work out the details."

"Certainly. You can go ahead and tell the girls if you like. Take the worry off of their minds, at least."

Darlene put two fingers in her mouth and let out a shrill whistle, then waved the girls over in a cluster around us. "Girls, you can set your minds at ease about where you will live. Toomas has offered to allow the volleyball team to live here, at least through the end of the school year." She tried to say I would be meeting with the athletic director, but she was drowned out by the excited yelling of all of the girls, who surrounded me and all tried to hug me at once. I even got several kisses on the cheeks, and felt quite a number of tears as well.

It was later that Kat caught me alone and gave me a big hug. "Thank you, Daddy. That was sweet." I didn't need any more praise than that.

It was not until Wednesday of the following week before I met with Dr. Cook, who came out to the house. "I met with Coach Thorson and Kat on yesterday. I was more than satisfied with their descriptions of your place, but our legal counsel required I come out and check it out for myself. I hope you will pardon me for doing so."

"It is no problem at all. I'm glad to have you. Is there anything in particular you would like to see?"

Dr. Cook shook her head. "I can see all I need to from here. It is obvious you have excellent facilities for the girls." She stopped and looked down at the table and shuffled some papers around nervously. "Please don't misunderstand my question, Toomas, but I must ask it. Understand I mean nothing derogatory by it, but what is your relationship with Ms. Thorson? I understand she has been living here with you for some time now?"

I had expected something of the sort. "Darlene needed a place to go when she and her boyfriend split up. Kat, that is Katarina came to me and said she needed a place to stay until she could find another, and she asked if we could put her up for a while." Dr. Cook nodded. "When she was unable to find suitable lodgings that she could afford I told her she was welcome to stay on. Katarina has been working with her and the freshman team, and she has become very fond of the coach, as have I. She's just a year older than my eldest daughter, so it is like having another daughter staying in the home with us. With the unfortunate passing of my wife she has done a lot to keep us from being maudlin, but beyond that, there is nothing going on."

"I was certain that was the case. I did a little background checking on you, and everyone I've spoken with has given you the highest recommendations as far as character.

"The university is giving her the added responsibility of acting as dormitory supervisor, as it were, being responsible for the girls beyond just coaching. Now, I understand you have not been charging her any rent?"

I nodded. "I don't really need the money, and she doesn't cost me much. She does help out with the groceries and all."

"Well, the university will be, as part of her additional remuneration for her added responsibilities, paying you a fair rental for her room, and we will also be paying you the amount we would charge the girls for room and board if they weren't on scholarship. You've been very gracious to allow them to stay, but we can't impinge on you any further."

Dr. Cook slid a contract over in front of me, and I was amazed at the numbers on there. I don't really need the money, but since they were willing to pay me, I'd find something to do with it. I pulled a pen from my pocket and with just a cursory glance at the paperwork was prepared to sign it.

"Aren't you even going to read the contract? You may feel free to have your attorney look it over first if you would like."

"Thank you. Normally, I would do that, but I see nothing that will be a problem to me. I really don't need the money, so I'm not going to quibble over little things." I signed my name and dated it, then slipped the papers back over to Dr. Cook.

"One other thing, if you will," she said as she put the document into her attache case. "I don't know that we will be able to rebuild the dormitory in time for next fall's school opening. Would you be willing to work with us on housing the girls next year as well?"

"We'll have to take a look at it as the spring progresses, but based on what I've seen of them over the last couple of weeks I don't believe it would be a problem."

So that's the way it all got started.

**********

In retrospect, having the girls move into the property is the best thing that could have happened to me at the time. They kept me from brooding and looking back at the past. We only had a couple of instances where the girls pushed the envelope a bit on the rules, and Coach Thorson was on them quickly. We did have to make a few adjustments because of the number of girls involved. For spring break they had been willing to double up in some of the queen size beds, but I knew that was not going to be a long term solution. I used a chunk of the moneys from the university to go out and purchase twin beds and bunk beds, and the necessary linens to fit out enough rooms to take care of the freshmen and sophomores. It worked out so that we were then able to house the teams, with seniors getting twin bed rooms, and the lower classes had two sets of bunk beds per room. Everyone was happy with that arrangement, especially since even those with double bunks had more room than in the old dorms, plus they had private bathrooms. The older girls found they had more space than they knew what to do with.

Of course, minor maintenance issues came up all of the time. That many girls with long hair kept me busy with clogged drains. I got embarrassed more than once when I would go to one of the girl's rooms to fix a problem and find her to be less than fully dressed, only to get a smile and a wink before she covered herself up. No, I didn't take any liberties. I'm not that kind of a guy, but they did keep my right hand busy many nights.

I also found I was eating better than I had before. Coach Thorson was careful of her girls' diet, and since they prepared many of their meals in the house and ate there, I ate with them. Occasionally, I would be called on for some light tutoring in the sciences when one of the girls had trouble understanding, which gave me something to do, and I found I enjoyed it very much. Perhaps I should have been a teacher.