Counseling Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maybe she was part of the Friendship secret society like Manson, Jodi Lee conjectured. Members of the Friendship were amazingly tolerant of other religions. They knew that religion was supposed to be about freedom and satisfaction, not conversion or control. The Friendship welcomed and learned from diversity. They admitted followers of nearly all philosophies in support of this idea, rejecting only the prejudiced. Holding freedom of religion as an inalienable right, the Friendship's leaders advised their subordinates to live the good in their personal beliefs and to respect those of others. Most Friends followed such suggestions. They knew from history that religions grew in tolerant climates. They shrunk, then destabilized if their environment filled with conceit and fear.

Even if Candace wasn't a Friend, though, her religion was no reason to peg her as a bigot. Many Christians throughout history practiced great openness, Jodi Lee reflected. The Puritans were proud sexual beings, although they only wanted affection to occur within the bounds of marriage and never in public. There were also several Roman and medieval Christian sects that were into free love and swinging. Jesus Christ himself hung out with adulterers and prostitutes. Just because Candace's brother Kirk was a modern stuck-up Christian idiot was not cause to assume she was as well.

On impulse, Jodi Lee waved her hands in a secret Friendship gesture at the Flanders couple. Maude signed back and Jodi Lee smiled, happy she was right.

Asher tapped Jodi Lee on the shoulder and she turned back to her Gypsy companion.We work alone, Asher signed.Viceroy Ramsay said not to make this too complicated.

"Sorry," Jodi Lee said. "I'll try to remember our mission. You work the crowd. I'll find our host." Asher nodded in agreement and moved away.

It did not take Jodi Lee long to locate Marilyn Manson. The rock star was one of the few people at the party dressed as themselves. He feels his usual appearance is costume enough, Jodi Lee guessed as she looked upon Manson's pale face, long black hair and leather jacket and pants. A top hat, tails and cane were also part of his outfit, she noticed, so maybe he was in costume after all. Jodi Lee pegged him as Willy Wonka. Manson seemed very laissez-faire, pleased that his party was successful and exchanging greetings with the guests.

I think Asher was right, Jodi Lee said to herself. The man is more agreeable than his public image. Yes, he disturbs me a little, but that's okay.

A few security guards in Goth attire were around Manson, including a supervisor in a fox mask so fantastic it looked like his real face. Guests were walking up and saying hello. Two young people also stood nearby. One was a pale-skinned girl in a black dress with a plunging neckline and a long black wig. The other was a dark-haired twenty-something man who looked like he was part of some Hell's Angels biker gang.

"Great party tonight," actor David Duchovny was telling Manson when Jodi Lee approached. He was costumed as his "X-Files" character Mulder and had his wife Tea Leoni as Scully on his arm. "I'm glad I got out of rehab soon enough to be here."

"This is for the feast of Saint Andrew," Manson replied. "He's a patron of those who suffer from gout and sore throats, fishermen and the unmarried. He traveled much of the ancient world to spread the Gospels and charity under threats and persecution. I felt it appropriate to hold a fundraiser party against the recent Proposition 8 in his name."

"I thought you were a Satanist," Tea Leoni said.

"That doesn't mean I can't also revere other religions." Manson told the couple to enjoy the party and then turned back to the young man standing with him. "Thanks. You were saying?"

"My brother Dane is very sorry," the biker youth replied. "He got involved with the wrong people and brought them to preach to you without seeking your prior blessing. He recognizes that you do not appreciate such people and that you do not want to become a member of our religion. Dane wants you to know that he is now distancing himself from the Feshbachs and those like them, as many Scientologists already have. Dane could not be here to apologize himself, as he is in St. Louis sorting through some issues. Thus our sister Erika asked me to stop by."

"Does Erika want to see me again?" the Goth girl with Manson asked. Jodi Lee blinked, recognizing her cherubic face and large blue eyes. Evan Rachel Wood, she thought. There you are.

"She does," the biker youth answered Evan, "provided that you want to see her. Erika is also busy tonight, but as you may know, she asked many of her friends to stop by and make donations to your cause. She wants to ensure you bear no ill will towards our entire religion because of the actions of a few of its members."

"Erika doesn't need to worry about that," Manson said. "I'm fine with Scientology in general. I just don't want to be in it myself and I want it to stop its abusive practices. You know what I'm speaking of, right?"

After receiving a nod, Manson continued. "You can advise Erika I'm aware of her involvement with a group that wants to reform your church. My own church is willing to support that movement's goals. Our creed's founder, Anton LaVey, was a great influence on Scientology's founder and our religions may need to work together again. Also, please tell Erika I asked you to make this gesture in front of her."

The biker youth smiled and returned the gesture after frowning at Manson's Satanic endorsements. "I will do that."

"Please inform Erika I want to see her again soon," Evan said. "Thank you for coming. Brando, right?"

"Yes," Brando Christensen said. "I'm Dane's twin brother, four minutes older. Erika and I will be flying to join the rest of our family in St. Louis tomorrow."

"When she gets back to L.A., please make sure she calls me," Evan requested. "Also thank her for putting the word out about our party. I've seen Catherine Bell here tonight, along with Kirstie Alley, Jason Lee and Leah Remini and her husband. Is there anyone else planning on stopping by?"

"John Travolta could not make it but he wanted me to give you this." Brando handed a check to Manson and chuckled. "John in particular supports gay rights."

"Too bad your church didn't support them during the Proposition 8 vote process," Manson said. "Thank John for me. I'll add this to the stash."

"Don't mention it to too many people, okay?" Brando asked. "Now if you'll excuse me, I would like to enjoy the party a little."

"Go forth, young whippersnapper!" Manson waved and smiled. "Have a good time!" Brando thanked him and walked off.

I didn't know Friend Erika would be working independent of Viceroy Ramsay tonight, Jodi Lee reflected on the conversation she'd just heard. Well, I suppose what she's doing is for the best. That girl could be a Viceroy herself with all the influence she commands. I wonder why they haven't raised her yet. Maybe they're waiting for an appropriate moment. The Scientologist reformers are strong, yet the traditionalists are greater in number and influence. The church leaders must be afraid of a schism right now, which is why they aren't forcing one by expelling all the liberals. I don't blame them for their fear. I saw some Anonymous anti-Scientology protesters outside.

"Brando should tell Erika I'm fine," Evan said to Manson. "I wish she was here, though."

"All things in time, my dear," Manson replied, patting her on the shoulder. "Now you go mingle, okay? You're hanging around me too much. I want you to wean yourself off me a bit."

"If you say so." Evan smiled at Manson and moved away.

Jodi Lee followed Evan, wanting to stay close to her. She seems okay, thought the Australian agent. I'd better make sure, though. I hope nothing terrible is going to happen at this party tonight. Jodi Lee wove her way around a trio dressed like a Goth hippie, a werewolf and the MTV character Daria as well as a burly balding man dressed in a gray trench coat and a multitude of bandages who was eyeing her. She smiled at the latter, recognizing actor Mickey Rourke. Then she turned from him and walked on, nodding at other guests she passed.

Evan eventually reached the bar. She sat on a stool and ordered a drink from the satyr-costumed bartender. Jodi Lee finished her martini and then set the empty glass on the counter. "Give me another, please," she ordered. "Virgin. Shaken, not stirred."

"Coming right up, Ms. Foster," the bartender replied.

"Excuse me," a voice said. Jodi Lee turned to see Evan Rachel Wood directing a smile and a raised glass towards her. "You're not really Jodie Foster, are you?"

"No." Jodi Lee shook her head and extended her hand. "Grace Packer. I'm from Australia." Evan's surprise had sparked Jodi Lee's improvisation skills. Jodi Lee hoped her relative wouldn't mind her name being used.

"I didn't think you were Jodie Foster. You look about fifteen years younger with more freckles. Are you related to James Packer, the famous Australian rich man?"

"Fourth cousin once removed." It was a lie, but Jodi Lee didn't think Evan would bother tracing it. In reality, her family was a bit more closely related to the Packers than she had said. "I dropped off a donation earlier." That was the truth.

"Thank you," Evan said. She followed her words with a Friendship secret gesture. Jodi Lee returned the gesture, judging that it would not harm her cover. Evan's smile widened. "I'm Evan Rachel Wood, the actress."

"I recognized you. I think you did a great job in 'The Life Before Her Eyes'."

"Thanks. It was a terrific movie. So you're dressed as Kayleigh."

"Who?"

"Kayleigh is a character from the geek comic 'Dork Tower'. You look just like her with your hair like that. I'm the other main female character, Gilly the Perky Goth."

"Oh. Well, it wasn't really my intention to dress as anyone specific. Someone else picked this costume. I don't even know who you're talking about."

"Kayleigh's an uptight shopaholic who's also a role-playing gamer," a voice at Jodi Lee's elbow said. The Australian agent turned and saw a brown-haired man with average features dressed as Commissioner Gordon from the recent "Batman" films. "Kayleigh looks down on the gaming hobby but then gets enthusiastic about it the first time she plays. She kills several orcs and a turbonium dragon."

"Turbonium dragon?" Jodi Lee repeated, gaping.

"More like turbonium bitch!" Evan screeched.

"Sorry to jump in," Gordon said. "Nathan Foulger, producer." He introduced the red-haired woman in the Batgirl costume beside him. "This is my daughter Barbara ... I mean, my girlfriend, Alicia Witt."

"One night only, Nathan," Alicia replied. "Hello, Evan. It's great to see you again."

"Alicia!" Evan said, beaming as she and Alicia clasped hands. "How long has it been? Did Erika ask you to attend this party too?"

"No, it was Nathan. We broke up two weeks ago and this is our final date. Erika did want me to say hello, though. She learned of your situation with her brother Dane the day before yesterday and wanted me to let you know he's okay now."

"Brando already told Manson and me," Evan said. "Are you and the Commish gonna be here for a while?"

"We are," Nathan answered. "This party looks like fun."

"Fun is number one," Alicia quoted her breakout film's tagline with a smirk.

"Well, I'd love to talk to you both again later," Evan told them. "Right now, though, I'm sort of occupied." She glanced towards Jodi Lee.

"See you in an hour or so then, little child," Alicia said, pecking Evan on the forehead. "I definitely want to renew old acquaintances. Come along, Nathan."

"Yes, my darling." Her boyfriend hurried to catch up as Alicia moved away.

Jodi Lee picked up on Evan's cue. She had already observed several couples moving out of the mansion's main gathering areas towards the adjoining guest rooms. She also knew Evan's orientation but did not want to let on that she knew. "You're lesbian?"

"Bisexual," Evan corrected. "I prefer women, though. I've been with more of them than I have men. You?"

"The same," Jodi Lee said. So Evan wants to seduce me, she thought. Okay, I suppose I'll allow it. I've used this as a spy tactic before many times. Sex is one of the best ways to connect with a person and I did want Evan when we knew each other at Viceroy Ramsay's club long ago. I was right that she wouldn't remember me from back then.

"Good. So I broke up with my boyfriend recently and I'm looking for a stranger tonight. Interested?"

Jodi Lee nodded but indicated with her expression that she didn't want to take things too fast. "Your boyfriend was our host Marilyn Manson?"

"Right. Please ignore all the rumors you've heard about him. I agree he's crazy, but to me crazy is a compliment. I'm crazy too."

"I heard you've been losing yourself since you started dating Manson."

"No! I've been finding myself. I used to be so shy. Then acting brought me out and Manson finished the job. I've never been more comfortable in my own skin." Evan laughed. "So do you like the party?"

"Yes." Jodi Lee felt pleased that she could detect no dishonesty in Evan's speech. "You?"

"Of course. I don't mind being among the mad people. I like it." Evan waved at the bartender to refill her drink. "Have you tried this? It's cinnamon vodka tonic, just like at 'Inside Out' in London."

Jodi Lee smiled. "I've been there. I'm not drinking alcohol tonight, though. Thanks."

Evan put her hand on Jodi Lee's. "So did you come here alone?"

"No," Jodi Lee answered after a pause. "My, um, brother is that ghoul over there."

She looked around and spotted Asher, who was engaged in an impromptu solo dance contest with a portly exuberant young man dressed as Londo Mollari from the science fiction series "Babylon 5". A pair of white and black male Goths and another youth disguised as a humanoid muskrat were looking on. Evan returned the white male Goth's grin.

"That's your brother?" Evan asked Jodi Lee. "He's very talented."

"It's a gift," Jodi Lee agreed. "Sadly, it's one I don't share."

"Why don't we go say hi to them?" Evan stood up and walked over to the dancers. Asher finished his current routine just as they arrived. His opponent bowed, unable to top it, while the other guests around them clapped.

"Hello," Evan greeted Asher while Jodi Lee watched. "I just met your sister."

Hello, Asher signed.Please excuse me. I am unable to speak.

"He's mute but not deaf," the black Goth said. "His name's Simon."

"Simon," Evan repeated, also moving her hands in sign language. "Hi. I'm Evan Rachel Wood. I think I know you from somewhere."

I have been a street performer in multiple cities. Perhaps you have heard of me in that capacity.

"No, I can't place you. Sorry." Evan looked at Jodi Lee. "Does he have a stage name?"

"It doesn't matter," Jodi Lee replied. "Simon, you know the tarot, right? Can you deal some cards for Evan?"

Asher nodded. Gypsy fortune telling was another of his skills. His grandmother had taught it to him and told Asher never to cheat.Tarot is an ancient way of interpreting someone's current state and destiny, Asher signed to Evan.Do you mind if I give you a reading?

"Sure." Evan shrugged.

Asher pulled a deck of cards from his pocket and shuffled it as he walked to a nearby table. Everyone else followed. When Asher arrived at the table, he handed the deck to Evan and invited her to shuffle it again. Evan complied and then the muskrat shuffled it a third time when Asher asked.

"He did this for me a minute ago," the muskrat said.

"Shh," the black youth replied after a nod.

Asher reclaimed the deck and laid out a ten-card "Celtic cross" spread.

The 'Queen of Swords', he signed, indicating the first card.This is you, Evan. It represents independence and intelligence. You can streamline problems and find solutions without fuss. It also represents isolation. Next I have drawn the 'Three of Swords', which indicates you over-think your problems, and the 'Ace of Swords', which means you hope for decisiveness. Jodi Lee translated Asher's gestures when Evan looked confused and the actress nodded in thanks.

This card is the 'Page of Wands'. It represents your surroundings. You do not want to lose yourself and you wish to stay optimistic. I have also drawn the 'Three of Wands' reversed. This card says that for you a great undertaking is about to conclude.

Perhaps that means she'll get her friends back, Jodi Lee thought after interpreting. She raised an eyebrow at the other cards Asher had drawn.

The 'Nine of Coins' represents an unhappy ignorant aristocrat. This card does not apply to you. Its position indicates a recent opponent or a challenge for your future.

"That woman on the card looks like Jessica," Evan said.

"Jessica?" Jodi Lee asked.

"A hag I got into it with a few days ago. Never mind her. What's this card here?"

That is the 'Three of Coins'. It indicates a great amount of skill and drive. It is your current attitude. The other three cards are Major Arcana. This one represents your family and friends. It is the 'Wheel of Fate', which means that the people you love will continue to greatly influence your life. This card stands for your hopes and fears. It is 'Temperance' and fosters joining and unity. It also means you must be prepared to team with those you love for a coming confrontation in which you shall play a significant role.

Evan coughed, nervous. "And the final card? I see it is 'Death'. Does that mean I will die soon?"

No. That card is the culmination of your journey. It has not yet arrived. I cannot say when it will. 'Death' indicates a great inescapable trial, either here now or coming soon. Its outcome will change many things for you and possibly for the world as well. You, Evan, will play a key part in the great trial. The presence of 'Death' here re-emphasizes that of 'Temperance'. I am not supposed to do this, but I see you are uneasy. I will draw one further card.

Asher did so and smiled.'Strength', he gestured.It means you have fortitude and spirit. With effort and persistence, you can overcome any situation you face.

"Thank you," Evan said. After calming down, she looked at Jodi Lee. "What do you suppose these cards could signify?"

"Don't ask me," Jodi Lee replied. "I know little about tarot. Simon?"

I cannot say.

Evan gave Asher her most upbeat expression. "I guess I'll find out when the time comes, huh?"

I do not doubt that.

"You're an interesting person, Simon." Evan shook hands with Asher and then looked at Jodi Lee. "Grace, I'm glad I met your brother. Can we please go off and fuck now?"

Asher raised his eyebrows at Jodi Lee. The Australian agent gave him a gesture that meant she had everything under control.All right then, the Gypsy replied.I will wait for you here.

"Nice meeting all of you," Jodi Lee told the people with Asher. "Please excuse me. I have to go bang this chick."

The youths gasped almost in unison. The portly one put his hands on his face and moaned as though his personal universe was exploding. The tall white boy started drooling and shaking and the black boy with the glasses clapped him on the back saying, "Matt, control yourself!" The muskrat looked stricken and then pleased. Asher gave Jodi Lee an upraised thumb and waved her and Evan off.

"You know, those guys with your brother resembled the other main characters of 'Dork Tower'," Evan said as she and Jodi Lee walked towards the stairs. "I was surprised to see them here."

"I need to read this comic," Jodi Lee said. "It sounds funny. So, um, I don't mean to offend you, but are you drug and disease free?"