Countdown to Showdown

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Paul had found out about the government storing the Alexandrite about two months prior, but hadn't realized that he could make a profit off them until a month ago. Paul stopped being effective at his job; the programs were fooling him and a younger employee was dominating the position, so Paul's employer had fired him. Paul never invested his money and had very little savings. This made him late with his mortgage bills six times and the bank threatened to take his house away unless he came up with the money. He was desperate for money and decided to resort to desperate measures.

So after reading the article in the newspaper about precious gemstones, the most expensive one being Alexandrite, Paul decided to do a little more research about the Alexandrite. One website he came across told him how the government had just placed a large order, so Paul, from his experience at his job, hacked carefully into the Pentagon's computer mainframe and found out that they were going to attempt to make jet fuel from the gems, but for the moment they were just being stored. The only detail left was how to steal them and, less than a week later, he had seen Rick's car. One day, after watching the family for a week, Paul followed Rick to work and found out that he worked at the Pentagon, where the Alexandrite was being stored. That sealed the deal in Paul's mind, thinking that he was destined to steal the Alexandrite.

After calling Rick, Paul opened the garage and backed his car up so the trunk was just inside. He popped it, went back inside, picked Sheila up, and deposited her in the trunk. Paul closed the garage, got in his car, and drove home. Now that the excitement had ceased, the fact that Rick knew his name was disconcerting. Rick could stage some plot where, just after Rick got back his family, government agents would come out of the woodwork and capture, or possibly kill, him. Also, even though they didn't know his name, Sheila, Robbie, and Andrew had seen what he looked like. There was also the possibility that Rick wouldn't do anything at the exchange, but he knew where Paul lived, what car he drove, and other facts that could lead to revenge in the future. So Paul decided to come up with a way to try and prevent this, and started to think.

***

An hour later, Paul had a plan, his only plan he could think of, yet he had no idea whether it would work or not. As he started to wonder if Rick would come through, the phone rang. Paul looked at it for a moment, then answered it on the second ring. "Hello."

"I did it."

Paul sat up straight. Did this mean that Rick actually got the Alexandrite? He decided to pry a little. "Did what, exactly?"

"I retrieved the Alexandrite and currently have it in my briefcase. You were right, the Alexandrite is either emerald green or purplish red. They're beautiful. Where do you want to meet to exchange the gems?"

Paul was silent for a moment then inquired, "How many do you have."

"Um." There was a scuffle from the other side as Rick set the phone down. Paul heard the click of briefcase clasps being opened, some clinks that must be the gems being moved around, Rick counting under his breath, two more clicks, then the phone was picked up again. "Fourteen," replied Rick.

That corresponded with Paul's numbers. Paul responded, "Okay, you have my address. There is a bridge nearby. You'll see it on any map. Go park there at six o-clock. Remember, no backup and make sure you bring the gems. Got it?"

"Yeah, okay six o-clock, got it. Don't you forget my family, or you won't get the gems until I make sure that they're unharmed and safe." Then there was a click and the phone went dead.

Paul looked at the phone for a second, then hung it up. After a moment, he stood up and prepared to leave.

Chapter 7

Rick looked at his watch; it was 4:45. He had to be at the bridge in an hour and 15 minutes, but the hard part was getting through security. The gems were metallic, so he couldn't hide them on himself when he went through the metal detector, and they would show up in his briefcase when they went through the x-ray. Rick also didn't have enough time to go home, come back, and get to the bridge.

He looked around his office, but there was nothing that he could see. He began opening up the drawers of his desk, and in one he found some pans that he'd brought in for the Christmas potluck last month. He had forgotten about them, and they had never made it out of his office. He was glad now, because, if he wasn't mistaken, the pans themselves were made out of lead with a steel coating around it. If he placed these in his briefcase, the x-ray wouldn't be able to see the gems. Moving quickly, he arranged the pots over all the gems, then grabbed his briefcase and walked out of his office.

He reached security a few minutes later. He placed his 97 cents and keys in a basket and placed that and his briefcase on the machine, then hurried through the metal detector. He looked at the security guard monitoring the x-ray. The man asked him, "What's in the briefcase?"

Rick replied quickly, "Just some pans I brought into work for the Christmas potluck. Sheila asked me to bring them home for dinner tonight. That's why I'm leaving early today, to get them home in time for Sheila to start making dinner. Why?"

"No reason, just couldn't make them out on the machine, that's all. Have a good day, Rick. Enjoy dinner."

"Thanks George. See ya tomorrow."

"Okay, bye."

Rick hurried to his Suburban, opened it up, and got in. As he started it, he glanced at the dash clock. It read 5:03. Even if he hit traffic, he would still get there early. He pulled out, said good-bye to Doug, and exited the Pentagon parking lot.

52 minutes later, he reached the block before the bridge. Rick decided to wait a few minutes before going out onto the bridge. He shut off the engine, took his keys out of the ignition, leaned over, and unlocked the glove box. Reaching in, he grasped the pistol that he had purchased when he had been moved to desk duty, but had never used or needed. He knew it was in perfect condition and was glad that he kept it in his car. Looking at the clock, he saw that it was 5:58. Restarting the car, he drove the last block and out onto the bridge, pulling over to the side and shutting the engine off.

Two minutes later, a car pulled onto the opposite side of the bridge. Rick leaned forward and squinted to see what it was. It was Paul's Camry, and it stopped on the other side of the bridge. Rick grabbed his briefcase, put his gun in his pocket, and exited his car. The front door of the Camry opened and out stepped Paul.

Chapter 8

Paul looked across the bridge at his adversary. Although Paul had seen Rick many times, he was intimidated by the glare that Rick was giving him. Paul called across the bridge, "You have my gems?"

Rick gave the expected and totally cliché response, "You have my family?"

Paul figured that it would be wise to show his cards first. He opened the back door of his car and ushered Sheila and the two kids out. Shoving Robbie further into the street, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his 22 pistol and pointed it at Robbie. What he didn't expect was Rick pulling out a gun also. Paul then yelled across, "Where's the gems?" Rick held up the briefcase, indicating the gems were inside. "Okay, set the gun down and bring the briefcase over here." Slowly, Rick placed the gun down and began walking across the bridge. Paul watched him with growing anticipation. Rick came within two feet of Paul. Paul prompted, "Now place it on the ground and open it." Rick bent down, laying the briefcase down and opened it, facing himself. Paul, with increasing impatience, urged, "Come on, turn it so I can see."

What happened next came so fast that Paul couldn't react. Rick had reached into the briefcase and pulled out a large object. Paul registered the shiny gems inside the case and the same time he registered the pan in Rick's hand. The pan was bashed against Paul's head, his muscle's spasmed, there was a loud blast, someone shouted "No!," and Paul fell backward onto the ground.

Blinking stars out of his eyes, Paul looked around. The open case of gems was on the ground; two feet away was Robbie, lying on the ground, Rick leaning over him, sobbing. By Paul's car was Sheila and Andrew, both crying. Then Paul realized what happened. When he was hit by the frying pan, he had pulled the trigger of the gun, shooting Robbie. Although he was horrified at what had happened, Paul still stood up and crept to the case. Taking the second pan out of it, Paul closed the case and went back to his car, started it up, and drove away.

Chapter 9

Rick dropped the pan and bent down over Robbie. The bullet had struck him in the lower chest. Rick checked for a pulse, and was relieved when he found it. He checked the wound, then, ripping his shirt, he made a small bandage, pressing it to the wound to stop the bleeding. He looked up, saw Sheila and Andrew struggling against their bindings, and Paul getting into his car. Going over to Sheila, Rick tore the duct tape that was tied around her hands off and handed her his cell phone. Running back to his car, Rick yelled back over his shoulder to Sheila, "Call 911 and get Robbie to a hospital, NOW!" Bending down, Rick scooped up his gun, climbed into his car, and sped off in pursuit of Paul.

Two blocks away, Rick found Paul stopped at a traffic light. Stepping on the accelerator, Rick sped up and crashed into the back of the Camry. It shuddered, then began to accelerate, going through the light, away from Rick. Rick gave chase, ramming the car again. The bumper of the Camry came loose, dragging on the ground, creating a shower of sparks. Then it came loose, and Rick swerved to avoid it. Speeding up, he rammed the Camry again, knowing that his car was larger and could take the damage. They reached an intersection and, all of a sudden, the Camry took a quick left turn, trying to lose Rick. Determined not to let Paul escape, Rick went diagonally across the intersection, smashed into the drivers' side of the Camry. It spun around, finally coming to a rest a few feet away. Rick's Suburban had stalled, his airbag had deployed, and he was slightly stunned. Shaking his head to clear it, Rick looked up.

The drivers' door of the Camry swung open and out stumbled Paul, a great gash across his forehead and blood pouring down his face. Rick got out of his car clutching in his hand the pistol, yelling, "Freeze!" Paul looked around, plunged his hand into his pocket, withdrawing the gun, and fired. Rick heard it clang as it struck the Suburban. Paul was running away from him at an angle. Rick fired, but knew that he had shot behind Paul. Rick dropped and rolled, just as he heard another retort of the gun and the crack of the bullet hitting the ground. Aiming again, Rick fired, this time missing in front of Paul. Rick heard the snap of Paul's gun again and felt the bullet hit him in the stomach, feeling as if his abdomen was on fire. Grimacing, Rick aiming once more and fired. This time his aim was true, and a bullet hole appeared in Paul's forehead, and Paul crumpled to the ground.

Rick was momentarily satisfied until he felt his knees hit the ground. Looking down, he saw the wound glistening in his belly and clamped his hand over it. Standing up, Rick stumbled a few paces to his car, and then collapsed again. He was all clammy and could feel his warm blood running through his hand. Falling onto his back, he was looking up at the stars until, one by one, they all faded to black.

*

Like I said, I originally wrote this in 2006 and have re-edited several times since. Please feel free to comment with how you enjoyed it as well as with any constructive criticism you have, because I am still trying to make the story as good as possible. Thanks.

12