Courting Miss Greene Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No!" Abby cried out in horror. She threw herself on top of her sister, covering the other girl's body with her own to prevent her from receiving further injury. For a moment Abby expected to get kicked as well, but instead she only heard a whoosh followed by a thud. When she glanced over her shoulder, she saw the man staggering backwards with an arrow protruding from his chest. For a moment she could only gape at him in shock, but then all the bandits started yelling and she heard other voices as well, familiar voices. Abby's heart jumped when she turned her head. "Thomas!" she cried. She never thought she would be this happy to see the scoundrel.

"Stay down, Abby!" Thomas charged forward, swinging his longsword to drive apart the bandits who were reaching for their knives. "Get away from those girls!" he shouted at them.

"Look out, Thomas!" warned Robert. He slashed his rapier at a man who was about to attack his brother from behind. Although Robert did not have much combat experience, the mere choice of weapon proved to be a great advantage: all he had to do was to prevent his opponent from getting close enough to launch a counter attack.

Ethan found his two sisters-in-law. "Abby! Lizzy! Are you alright?" he asked.

"I am," answered Abby, "but I think Lizzy passed out just now."

Ethan crouched down to check on the other girl when one of the bandits came running up to them, flashing a knife. "Oh, yeah?" He shot an angry glance at his opponent. "Well, I've got two!" Ethan stood up to show the daggers on either side of his belt. When the bandit glanced down to check them out, Ethan landed his fist on the man's nose. The bandit fell to his knees while blood streamed down his face. "You want to bleed some more"?" asked Ethan. He took out his daggers and readied himself for a double-handed attack. The man with the bloody nose heeded Ethan's warning and quickly scrambled away.

All of a sudden Ginny's voice cried out for Thomas.

Abby's eyes flashed across the scene. Her older sister stood some distance away, aiming an arrow at something among the trees. When Abby peered more closely, she saw one of the bandits getting ready to throw a knife. His intent gaze focused on Thomas, who was fighting two other bandits on his own.

"Thomas! Behind you!" warned Ethan when he made the same observation as Abby.

Thomas glanced over his shoulder, but saw no threat and returned his attention to his opponents. Ethan took off to stop the knife thrower, but Abby realized he might be too late. Before she knew it, she found herself rushing towards Thomas.

"You cowards!" shouted Thomas when his opponents fled the scene, clutching their bleeding wounds. Thomas noted his brother had fought off the remaining bandit. He smiled when Abby ran up to him. "Reinforcements won't be needed," he joked.

Abby heard Ethan and Ginny shouting behind her, but she ignored them and reached out to Thomas. Something hit her shoulder and she tumbled over.

Thomas dropped his sword and caught her in his arms. "Abby?" he asked. She gave him a little smile, but her face had gone pale. "Abby!" Thomas shook her gently when her eyes closed. He felt something warm trickling down his arm. When he took out his hand to see what it was, he stared at it in disbelief.

Blood.

~*~

Robert stood waiting in the hallway when Lizzy came out of the room and softly closed the door behind her. "So how is Abby?" he asked.

"She went back to sleep, but she sounded fine when we talked to her," answered Lizzy. "Ginny said the wound wasn't that deep and the blood was clear. Of course we'll have to wait and see what it looks like tomorrow."

Robert lowered his voice. "Does she know she's been calling for Thomas the entire way?"

Lizzy blushed. "No, she doesn't remember anything after passing out in his arms... which must have been awfully romantic and I only wish I had seen it!"

Robert laughed. "I don't think so! He cried like a baby and wouldn't let go of her. It was terrible! Ginny thought Abby was dead when she saw his reaction, and Ethan had to stop her from going after those ruffians. I'm just glad we all made it out of there without any losses."

Lizzy gasped in shock. "Oh, Robert! Your mother's ring!" she cried. "Oh, how could I forget?" The girl broke down in tears.

"Don't cry, baby! I've got it right here, see?" Robert pulled out the ring from his breast pocket.

"Oh!" Lizzy was amazed and relieved he had somehow found it, but when he was about to return the ring to her finger, she pulled back her hand. "No, I can't," she cried, turning away.

Robert froze. "Why not?"

"Because... I'm tainted!" Lizzy blurted out between sobs.

"Tainted?" Robert echoed in shock. "What are you talking about, baby?"

"You wouldn't want a floozy to shame the memory of your mother!" the girl explained.

"Lizzy!" Robert let out a deep sigh. "Really, you're not a floozy."

"That man said so..." she replied in a small voice.

"The one who struck you and kicked you?" Robert lifted Lizzy's chin to make her look him in the eyes. "Well, he got shot with his pants down, now didn't he? Who cares what such a man ever said?"

"But... he was right though."

"How so?"

Lizzy hung her head. "Because I offered to... suck him off," she confessed.

Robert sighed. "Oh, baby..."

"And I smiled at him too!" she added.

Robert put a hand on her shoulder. "Baby, don't beat yourself up like that. You had a reason for doing those things, right?"

"Well, I really wanted to save my maidenhood for you," she answered, looking up at him again.

"And you did, so what's the problem?"

"A proper lady wouldn't behave like that!"

Robert gaped at her. "Who cares about being proper?"

"You don't understand!" Lizzy sniffed back her tears. "All those people, back in Northfair, at the dance... All those friends of yours, and the rest of your family... I didn't fit in with them! Even as I was before, I wasn't good enough. I thought I might improve, but now... now...!"

Robert shook her by the shoulder. "Lizzy! What are you saying? You are good enough! Hell, you're better than most of them... all of them, for all I care!"

The girl pouted. "I don't see how..."

"Baby, look at me. Listen to me, alright?" Robert waited for Lizzy to look him in the eyes again. "You're a very special girl, do you hear me? You're so pure, so innocent... the devil himself couldn't taint you if he tried. You did what you had to do to save yourself. My only regret is that you had to go through such an ordeal in the first place, but even if you had lost your maidenhood, I still would have wanted you back. I would have wanted you to do whatever it took to return to me alive and well. I just couldn't bear the thought of losing you." He held her head against his chest and gently stroked her hair. "Please don't let anything come between us, baby. I've waited so many years for someone like you to come into my life!"

Lizzy wiped away her tears and tried to smile. "Really?"

"Of course, baby," he assured her. "I wish I could tell you how much I love you." Robert got down on his knees and held up the golden band with the precious stone. "But since I'm such an incompetent fool, I can only offer you this old ring which holds so much sentimental value for me. Won't you please accept it once more?"

"Oh, Robert!" Tears welled up in Lizzy's eyes again, but she held out her hand so Robert could put the ring back on her finger.

He got back on his feet to kiss the girl. His heart pounded like crazy. For a moment Robert had been afraid Lizzy would break off the engagement. He held her close, feeling greatly relieved when she embraced him in return. "Please don't ever doubt my love, baby," he said, rocking her gently.

"I won't," replied Lizzy, although her voice came out muffled by his shirt.

"And don't ever think about running away from me again," he continued.

"I won't," she repeated.

"Because I'll always find you no matter where you go," he assured her.

Lizzy lifted her head to gaze into Robert's eyes. For a moment she wondered what he meant by that, but then she smiled. "Yes, I believe you would."

~*~

"Why, Thomas Clark!"

Abby's eyes flew open. Ethan's mother stood in the doorway, looking horrified. Abby glanced down to find Thomas sitting on the floor at her bedside with his arms folded on the mattress. He appeared to have been roused from his sleep at the same moment as her. On the other side of the room, Lizzy jolted upright with a dazed look on her face.

Thomas quickly scrambled to his feet. "I just wanted to see her for myself," he explained.

"But how in the world did you get in?" demanded Mrs. Clark while she frowned at the key in her hand.

Thomas shrugged. "I picked the lock."

Mrs. Clark shook her head at her husband's nephew. "Oh, you bad, bad boy!" She pointed at the hallway. "Out with you!"

Thomas turned to Abby and opened his mouth to speak, but Mrs. Clark stamped her foot before he could say anything.

"Out! Now!" the older woman insisted.

Thomas had no choice but to obey when she used that tone. He made his way across the room with visible reluctance.

Mrs. Clark gave the young man a stern look when he passed her. "I'm afraid you've seen a little too much!" she remarked. She would have elbowed him in the ribs if she had not been carrying a bowl of warm water as well as some clean towels and fresh bandages.

Thomas cast a quick glance at Abby. His face had gone all red, but he left without further ado.

Abby raised her eyebrows, wondering what that was all about. She looked down at herself and gasped in shock. She was only wearing one sleeve of her nightgown to keep her injured shoulder accessible to change the bandages, but the fabric under her arm had inched down during the night and a little, pink nipple peeked out above her collar. Abby quickly covered herself up, although it was already too late. Thomas had seen her in broad daylight now. Abby blushed a furious red at the idea he might have touched her again as well.

Mrs. Clark laid out her items on a table. "That naughty, naughty boy! He's always been a difficult case," she said. "That's what you get when a boy grows up without a mother, mark my words! Poor Charlotte was an angel, but she could be firm if she needed to be." Mrs. Clark let out a deep sigh. "The doctors were never really sure what claimed her life. She was still bedridden after giving birth to Thomas, which had been quite an ordeal for a woman her age, and the winter was exceptionally harsh that year. Poor Albert never got over the loss: hiding away in his summer house, throwing parties and what not. He had to, on doctor's orders, since he became quite prone to bouts of melancholy, you see? Then Robert had to step up and take over his father's responsibilities, which was a great relief to everyone. But Thomas...!" Mrs. Clark shook her head. "I have to say he was the sweetest thing as a little child, but once he entered adolescence... well, I'm sure you've seen enough of him to fill in the blanks. I don't think anyone in this family can rest at ease until he's found someone to keep a leash on him, preferably a very tight one!"

Abby frowned while she listened to the older woman who was removing her bandages. She was not entirely sure why Mrs. Clark would want to burden her with such private matters. Abby could only think of one reason and she did not like it. She was no longer angry with Thomas, but she had no intention of volunteering for the job Mrs. Clark seemed to be suggesting.

"Oh, it's all so sad!" exclaimed Lizzy, who had been listening as well. "I feel bad for all of them!" The girl subsequently started to sob.

"My dear Elizabeth," said Mrs. Clark with a warm smile, "that was a long time ago. There's no need to cry over it now."

"The pain is fresh to me!" protested Lizzy with a pout, fidgeting with her ring while tears streamed down her face.

"Lizzy gets emotional like that," explained Abby in a calm voice.

"Sensitive, isn't she?" observed Mrs. Clark. "And what about you, dear Abigale?" she asked while she put some new bandages on Abby's shoulder.

"I'm afraid I'm too rational to get carried away like that," the girl answered, ignoring the pain when the pressure on her wound changed.

"Are you also too rational to fall in love?" asked Mrs. Clark. "Forgive me, I don't mean to pry, but..."

Abby blinked at the older woman. "I'm sure I can fall in love," she answered. "Just not with Thomas." Abby frowned at herself. Somehow that did not sound as convincing as she had expected.

Mrs. Clark and Lizzy shared a knowing glance. "But you risked your life to save his, dear," the older woman said.

"It was only logical!" argued Abby. "Thomas was our strongest fighter and that villain knew it. That's why he aimed for Thomas instead of Ethan, who would have been the easier target from that distance." She gave Ethan's mother an apologetic smile before she continued. "If he could have taken out Thomas, all of his friends would have returned and hacked us to pieces. I couldn't let that happen," she explained.

"Oh, Abby!" exclaimed Lizzy, looking hopelessly disappointed. "Your blinding intellect melts away all the romance!"

Abby cocked an eyebrow at her younger sister. "And you see romance where there is none!"

"Not true!" protested Lizzy. "How else could I have fallen for Robert, and he for me?"

"Well, if you ask me, I think both of you are equally silly! He only hides it better because of his age," replied Abby.

Lizzy gaped in shock at her older sister, while Mrs. Clark tried very hard to suppress a chuckle.

"But of course I'm still happy for you," added Abby to show her good will.

"Oh, of course!" replied Lizzy. Not knowing what else to say, she got out of bed and started to get dressed.

Mrs. Clark sighed and shook her head. "Oh, Abigale!" She had just finished changing Abby's bandages and started combing the girl's hair. "And Albert was so fond of you! He thought it was such a shame you didn't get to spend more time with Thomas. That boy's not really one for first impressions, you know?"

"Oh, I know!" Abby blurted out, a lot louder than intended. She covered her mouth at once, not wanting to raise any suspicions, but she could feel the comb in her hair pausing for a moment.

"I suppose he did something to vex you?" guessed Mrs. Clark.

Lizzy shook her head violently, warning the older woman not to go in that direction.

"Indeed, he did," replied Abby. She was unwilling to release any details, but her face looked like a thundercloud.

"Didn't he do anything to improve your opinion of him?" continued Mrs. Clark.

"Yes and no," answered Abby, clenching her teeth.

Mrs. Clark placed a hand on the girl's good shoulder. "You don't have to tell me everything, dear," she said in a kind voice, "but I'm not entirely blind. That boy is utterly besotted with you. Whatever it was he did to you, or you to him, it would be a shame to throw it all away. Don't you think so?"

Abby struggled to find an answer when her older sister entered the room.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I'm late!" apologized Ginny, closing the door behind her.

Mrs. Clark raised her eyebrows when she noticed her daughter-in-law's face was suspiciously flushed. Apparently the young couple had been too stressed out last night and made up for it in the morning. "Don't worry, dear!" she answered with a knowing smile. "Abigale's all taken care of, and there were no signs of infection."

"Oh, that's wonderful! Is there anything else I can help with?" asked Ginny, putting away the old bandages.

"Well, didn't you say you changed your mind about Thomas?" her mother-in-law asked in a hushed voice.

"Oh, yes!" answered Ginny with a smile. "Abby, I believe Thomas really loves you!"

Abby sighed. "Ginny...! Weren't you supposed to be on my side?"

"No, it's true!" her older sister replied. "After what happened yesterday, I'm totally convinced he cares about you very deeply, extremely deeply! Oh, the things he said! 'Abby, my love! Abby, my heart!' And then he wailed so excruciatingly, it put me to shame. You'd think I'd cry the most, being your sister and Lizzy was still out, otherwise she would've been the worst of course. I mean, at first I thought Thomas only wanted you for your body, but--"

"I only wanted him for his body!" retorted Abby.

Mrs. Clark and the two other girls gasped in shock.

"Yes. Awful, isn't it?" continued Abby. "I seduced him into my bed night after night, but he was being a gentleman and never took off his pants, otherwise I wouldn't have been a maid right now." Abby let out a deep sigh. "There you have it. The painfully concise version." Abby's heart pounded while she fixed her stare at the patterns on the blanket. It seemed like a heavy weight had been lifted from her shoulders after that little confession. Now she could only wait and see how the others would respond.

The silence was deafening.

Abby was forced to continue speaking. "I know what you all think, but you're too kind to tell me," she said. "I'm a hussy!"

"Oh, Abby! No!" Everybody protested at once, vehemently denying any truth in that assumption.

Abby lifted her good arm to silence them. "Of course that's what you think. It's what I think, which means it's the only logical conclusion a person can draw."

Lizzy cried out in horror. "No, Abby! That's not it!" She lowered her voice, glancing at Ginny and Mrs. Clark. "I think we should tell her."

"Tell me what?" demanded Abby.

Her younger sister cleared her throat. "You were delirious, of course," she said, "but all the way to town, you kept calling for Thomas: asking him whether he was there, and then he had to say he was; and you asked him to stay with you, and of course he said he would; and then you wanted him to make love to you..." The girl's voice trailed off and she blushed from embarrassment.

Abby's face contorted into a grimace. "And then what?" she demanded.

"Well, it was bad because you were lying down with your head in his lap," Lizzy continued to explain, "so we had to stop midway to change the seating arrangements: all of us ladies in one carriage, and all the gentlemen in the other. Poor Thomas got quite upset about that. It took all of us to keep him away from you or who knows what he'd have done! Well, I guess it didn't work out after all, considering he woke up in your bed this morning."

Ginny let out a high-pitched scream at that revelation.

"The upper half of him! And nothing happened!" clarified Abby. "At least I don't think so," she added with a frown. Abby started to seriously question whether her nightgown had inched down by itself, but she believed Thomas had behaved well enough lately. Surely he would not spoil that by committing another indiscretion. Abby frowned. There was always a question mark involved whenever it concerned Thomas. She still did not trust him, not completely.

Mrs. Clark stroked Abby's hair a few times and kissed her head. "I think that's quite enough for now, dear. I'll go get you some breakfast." She got up from the bed. "You two girls, come with me. Let your sister rest."

"But--!" protested Lizzy.

"No buts!" the older woman insisted in a firm but kind tone, working the two sisters out of the room.

Abby breathed a sigh of relief when the door closed behind them. She was grateful for Mrs. Clark's good care and kindness, but she longed to be at home in Windfarn even though the journey would now be delayed because of her injury. Abby rested on her good shoulder, allowing the tears to trickle down freely into the pillow.

~*~

Ginny stared at the sheet of paper on the table in front of her and let out a long sigh. So far she had only managed to jot down "Dear Mom and Dad," but she did not know how to continue or how much to include. She had mentioned in her previous letter how Ethan's mother had gotten all the girls a new dress so she would have liked to start by writing how much fun the dance had been, but her mind inevitably drifted off to what had happened between Abby and Thomas. Ginny shook her head. She could definitely not tell her parents about that, and certainly not in a letter!